• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I meant is that they choose Sonic & Knuckles instead of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

But anyways it's not relevant, CD has a Stardust Speedway stage in Generations (albeit in a boss form only).

People thinking CD is some kind of spin off are deluding themselves.

I feel like a friggin nerd talking about Sonic continuity lol
CD is my favorite Sonic and that's coming from a casual fan of the series. I bailed out after Heroes and the Advance games and have since only revisited the 90s stuff which holds up great.

Sami+

CD is my favorite Sonic and that's coming from a casual fan of the series. I bailed out after Heroes and the Advance games and have since only revisited the 90s stuff which holds up great.

CD gets a bad rap because of its weird level design but I think it's one of the most fun to explore in tbh, especially Taxman's PC/console version. Really elevates the game imo. Also one of the most accessable to newer or casual players. It's my second favorite of the classic tetralogy behind S3&K - the one I don't really get is Sonic 2 tbh. It's still good but by far my least favorite out of all of them because you can see how rushed it is in its weird pacing and horrible enemy placement imo.

MrBadger

How can people say CD is a spinoff when Sonic 3's direct sequel is all about Little Planet coming back and Metal Sonic returning?

CD gets a bad rap because of its weird level design but I think it's one of the most fun to explore in tbh, especially Taxman's PC/console version. Really elevates the game imo. Also one of the most accessable to newer or casual players. It's my second favorite of the classic tetralogy behind S3&K - the one I don't really get is Sonic 2 tbh. It's still good but by far my least favorite out of all of them because you can see how rushed it is in its weird pacing and horrible enemy placement imo.
The high points of Sonic 2 are what win me over. Plus I love the water level because it's not totally a water level and can mostly be traversed above the surface. Lots of other unique level themes was another highlight for me coming from Sonic 1. But I will admit the oil level was a big letdown and is a big mark against the pacing.

Unknown?

I like it but not a big fan of the bosses. Too easy, even compared to the originals.

If you look closely into the background of one of the stages, it fairly obviously says "Sonic the Portable" on the ferris wheel.

large.jpg

When people discovered a leaked version of Sonic 4 back in mid 2010, it had a bunch of gyroscope tilting shit in it. It clearly wasn't built with a regular controller in mind.

sonovabitch! I actually like sonic 4 a bit too... fml I feel betrayed

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sonic 4 was at its most hype when it was called Project Needlemouse. Damn that trailer had me excited. I lost my shit at that announcement. Then they started to properly reveal the game and I slowly started to die inside little by little each time I saw more of the game.

Sonic CD and Sonic 4 are their own things and not part of the main story that 1-2-3-K and now Mania cover.

Simple as that really, you can say CD fits in between or after 2 but really it's just it's own little bubble.

Sonic CD and Sonic 4 are their own things and not part of the main story that 1-2-3-K and now Mania cover.

Simple as that really, you can say CD fits in between or after 2 but really it's just it's own little bubble.

Stardust Speedway is in Mania, though. If it isn't considered part of the main timeline, does that mean other non "1-2-3-K" stages will be considered for inclusion as classic reps? Like, say, Sunset Park?

Ristifer

Sonic 4 was at its most hype when it was called Project Needlemouse. Damn that trailer had me excited. I lost my shit at that announcement. Then they started to properly reveal the game and I slowly started to die inside little by little each time I saw more of the game.
I remember reading about Project Needlemouse while I was just starting my last year in university, and I was pumped. I didn't really die on the inside until I played it. Blah. I'll give Sonic 4 credit, though. As a result of all that hype I had, along with the subsequent disappointment, I can be insanely confident with what I've seen of Mania to know that it is what I've wanted all this time.

Ferr986

How come CD not be in 1-2-3-M story when Mania has a CD stage? In fact, it's Mania the game that may tie CD with the rest of the Mega Drive franchise, because of Stardust Speedway inclusion.

Nah, that's usually how it's said. Like if a game is delayed, it's pushed back to a certain date.

I'm still wondering about getting the CE, but it's $90 here in Canada...

In common English parlance an event being pushed back indicates it being moved to a later date.
Ahh that makes sense,. I was reading it wrong or I'm just stupid. Probably just stupid
Oh yeah, sorry dude I meant "brought forward" or whatever. You know what I mean. :p
Yeah.

I'm going to email Amazon on my lunch and see what happens. Like are they just now receiving the shipments late?

archvile7

I'm looking to get this for Switch, however it seems the only physical version is the collector's edition, which I can do without. Does anyone know if there are plans to come out with a regular physical version? I'm trying to avoid digital with the Switch...

I'm looking to get this for Switch, however it seems the only physical version is the collector's edition, which I can do without. Does anyone know if there are plans to come out with a regular physical version? I'm trying to avoid digital with the Switch...

There are no physical versions of this game at all. Not even the collectors. You get a card with a download code.

Lijik

I don't really "get" the low-poly 3D character models. Wouldn't it make more sense to use sprites with the visual style they're going for? Don't get me wrong, it looks great, just don't think it quite fits with the rest of the game's style? Most of it looks like a Mega Drive game, this doesn't.

EDIT: Like they do on the spherical bonus stages. Why not do the same on the Mode 7-ish ones? These different stages look like they are from different games.

Either way, looks nice overall.
The whole hook with the presentation is "What wouldve been if they had kept making 2D Sonics on the Saturn?" The low poly look is mimicking the 3d of that system, and using 3d for a special stage is something that reasonably wouldve happened at the time (as evidenced by the saturn port of 3D blast)

The Master System version of Sonic 2 is fine, besides those damn hanggliders. The Game Gear version can git fucked though.
The screen crunching is bad enough, but what kills me is they made the first boss fight even harder by changing the speed/height of the balls. This would be reasonably challenging for the Master System version where you could at least see the pattern, but the field of vision is way too small in the Game Gear version to be able to predict it.

The screen crunching is bad enough, but what kills me is they made the first boss fight even harder by changing the speed/height of the balls. This would be reasonably challenging for the Master System version where you could at least see the pattern, but the field of vision is way too small in the Game Gear version to be able to predict it.

it was my first video game ever and this boss roadblock'd me like five minutes into it

did they playtest this boss

Ferr986

It's funny because the Game Gear versions are like refined version of the Master System games, but yeah they fucked that boss BADLY.

StayDead

I thought it was just me who found that boss hard. I as a kid played it a lot on my Dad's game gear and not once did I ever get passed that boss.

Branduil

Sonic 2 GG is a nightmare. Fuck Scrambled Egg Zone and also fuck the person who approved of Green Hills Zone Act 3.

This was the first video game I ever had. Got my Game Gear on Christmas Day and Sonic 2, was super excited and having a blast until THIS MOTHERFUCKER.

Was extremely satisfying beating that piece of shit.

RAIDEN1

Sonic CD had probably the best mix of music I've heard in sonic game till date, US/JAP/Europe mix, all awesome as they were in 1993...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

Anyway, Sonic Mania keeps looking better and better, I'm so glad this exists.

TreIII

Sonic 2 GG is a nightmare. Fuck Scrambled Egg Zone and also fuck the person who approved of Green Hills Zone Act 3.

What, you mean you don't like having to make blind leaps of faith onto springs, where missing likely sent you careening into pits of spikes~?

Still trying to find out the unlock time on Steam to no avail. Hearing everything from "midnight" to "6pm UK time" with the consensus ultimately being "dependent upon the game". Even tried the Steam community thread and no-one seems to know. Anyone know anything definitive?

Also reading on Sonic Retro that the PS4 might have the earliest release time supposedly getting the game 12 hours before Steam. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Bio-Frost

Still trying to find out the unlock time on Steam to no avail. Hearing everything from "midnight" to "6pm UK time" with the consensus ultimately being "dependent upon the game". Even tried the Steam community thread and no-one seems to know. Anyone know anything definitive?

Also reading on Sonic Retro that the PS4 might have the earliest release time supposedly getting the game 12 hours before Steam. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

I know for Injustice 2, I had that preordered digitally on ps4 and it unlocked 9pm PST which is midnight east coast.

Order

The only thing I want to leak is confirmation that teal in the zone screen represents another character

I hope SEGA make an official announcement that the only canon Sonic games are Sonic 4 and Sonic '06; the rest are just side stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom