• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
CD is the stairs.
Man, when I said this I didn't get nearly as much chuckles (i'd rather flex my muscles), great minds I guess.
Original post do not steal

I hope SEGA make an official announcement that the only canon Sonic games are Sonic 4 and Sonic '06; the rest are just side stories

Not actually the worst case scenario since it sections off two disasters into their own shame corner.

Not actually the worst case scenario since it sections off two disasters into their own shame corner.
I'm in for that. Throw Sonic Labyrinth in there too for some handheld representation

Anyway, truly I don't understand this obsession with the canon. Does it really matter? I mean like, every game is essentially a soft reboot, storywise. I'm pretty sure you can reasonably say that Sonic 1, 2, 3, K, and CD are "canon," but ultimately what difference does it truly make?

I'm in for that. Throw Sonic Labyrinth in there too for some handheld representation

Anyway, truly I don't understand this obsession with the canon. Does it really matter? I mean like, every game is essentially a soft reboot, storywise. I'm pretty sure you can reasonably say that Sonic 1, 2, 3, K, and CD are "canon," but ultimately what difference does it truly make?

I guess people want to be able to say that Classic Sonic as its own series is consistently great, which fumbles when the interloper Sonic 4 turns up and poops all over the place.

But even then you have the various classic style handheld titles to consider from solid entries to duds like Blast so yeah ultimately it really doesn't matter.

SoulUnison

Banned
I always assumed CD was just some random adventure Sonic had sometime between 1 and 2.

The Japanese instruction manual for Sonic 1 says:
"Sonic...that annoying, impertinent hedgehog. Thanks to him, my great plans are always laid to waste! Oh, but this time, I'm going to rub him out with the power of science! Ha ha ha ha ha..."

This implies that Sonic 1 isn't even remotely the first time Sonic has stopped one of Robotnik's schemes.
There's probably tons of "off-screen" adventures that happen unless the games specifically point out direct continuity, like picks up directly from 2's ending cutscene, and 3 -> Knuckles is self-explanatory.

There's also the hidden image of Tails in CD with the caption "See you next game!"
So I always came to the conclusion that, on a meta level, CD happens before 2, and in-universe, CD happens before Sonic's met Tails.

They really are seeming to nail it this time huh?

I wonder what happens if it sells really well...

That'll depend on what Sega meant when they made this vague comment about how it's received

GC: What do you do about elements in Sonic Forces which older fans might not like but kids will? Sonic’s friends, for example. The goal in the demo level is to find Shadow. And, really… I don’t want to find Shadow. I’d prefer he stayed lost.

TI: [laughs] In the past two decades Sonic games have been trying to target a broader audience from kids to adults. And Forces has that same idea, so that means a wider range of characters that we know children like. Even if other fans may not be quite as keen.

But for Mania it’s kind of like a new approach. To target specifically 2D fans. So we don’t know whether it’ll be accepted positively in the market. We’ll find out after the game’s released, and we can figure out the direction of future titles after seeing the reaction.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/04/sonic...view-the-focus-is-on-old-school-fans-6753357/

That'll depend on what Sega meant when they made this vague comment about how it's received

Yeah they pretty much indicated clear as day that if the game sells extremely well, which it's looking like it will, then they'll greenlight similar projects i.e. Sonic Mania 2.

Man no review copies yet to give us any kind of gauge on how good / bad it is ?? I want to media blackout but I can't it's addicting!

Man no review copies yet to give us any kind of gauge on how good / bad it is ?? I want to media blackout but I can't it's addicting!

I know yeah, I'm desperate to see reviews since I so want this to be super successful both critically and commercially. Wonder when reviews will drop?

Yet Silver keeps showing up for some reason.

Sonic Rivals (a game that came out a few days after Sonic 06 and was directed / written by Iizuka, fun fact) retconned Silver's backstory by saying he's still from a bad future, and only him.

Rivals 2 continues on with that and makes Ifrit and Rush's Eggman Nega (don't ask) the cause of Silver's time being in ruin, with Sonic and crew rightfully fixing that

Colors DS ends it with the psychic hedgehog showing up for a zone and talking about how nice his time has become

So there's at least an understandable reason why Silver's still showing up, even at the cost of another character getting the whole confusion

Mr Swine

Banned
Sonic Rivals (a game that came out a few days after Sonic 06 and was directed / written by Iizuka, fun fact) retconned Silver's backstory by saying he's still from a bad future, and only him.

Rivals 2 continues on with that and makes Ifrit and Rush's Eggman Nega (don't ask) the cause of Silver's time being in ruin, with Sonic and crew rightfully fixing that

Colors DS ends it with the psychic hedgehog showing up for a zone and talking about how nice his time has become

So there's at least an understandable reason why Silver's still showing up, even at the cost of another character getting the whole confusion

Silver is a jerk and asshole, keeps on coming back from the future to the past just to screw up the future lol

Rlan

I thought it was just me who found that boss hard. I as a kid played it a lot on my Dad's game gear and not once did I ever get passed that boss.

tumblr_omsrra97uJ1w1kerio2_500.gif

tumblr_omsrra97uJ1w1kerio1_500.gif

Teknoman

Yeah the teams for S2/3K and CD were entirely different and in different countries. Sonic 2's Mecha Sonic was actually created independently from Metal Sonic, and the S&K one was an upgrade/throwback to that one.

UM NO ACTUALLY IT'S MECA SONIC, GET IT RIGHT
H0dK7ph.jpg

(Sonic 2 concept art)

Man that concept art looks so much cooler than Metal.

MAtgS

It annoyed me that Blaze's personal nemesis was in the rival games and not Blaze herself despite her being a rival archetype in the 1st Rush.

RagnarokX

Blaze being from the future was a retcon as well.

Speaking of retcons, in Sonic Forces they've retconned it so that Classic Sonic is from an alternate dimension from Modern Sonic rather than time travel. Hopefully this means Classic is from a dimension where he doesn't befall the horrible fate of becoming Modern Sonic.

I imagine they're setting things up so that they have free reign to create both Classic and Modern style games without the two having to worry about each other.

And despite Blaze officially being from another dimension now (though she can travel to Sonic's using the sol emeralds), Eggman Nega, despite his name, is officially Eggman's descendant from the future that hates him because he was such a failure that no one takes Nega seriously in his own time. So he apparently ended up in Blaze's world at some point and also teamed up with Eggman, but otherwise hated him and tried to get rid of him in the past.

And that's not even the most confusing part of Sonic "canon"

Speaking of retcons, in Sonic Forces they've retconned it so that Classic Sonic is from an alternate dimension from Modern Sonic rather than time travel. Hopefully this means Classic is from a dimension where he doesn't befall the horrible fate of becoming Modern Sonic.

I imagine they're setting things up so that they have free reign to create both Classic and Modern style games without the two having to worry about each other.
Well, it could be a separate Classic Sonic from the Generations one, or the alternate dimension that he's from is a timeline that split after he went back to his own time in Generations. But I think they will separate the franchise in to both a classic world and a modern one.

....so does this mean Forces retcons Generations out of existence?

Um, wasn't Generations meant to be non-canon? I swear I read something about that before.

I mean, it makes Eggman's presence in Lost World less confusing, and Orbot and Cubot are not abandoned in the deep reaches of space anymore like they were shown in Generations, so...

Guess Who

Banned
I can promise Sonic Team doesn’t care at all about game continuity except when it is useful for them to reference a past game. The last time there was a vague sense of continuity (from Adventure through 06) it was then pretty much entirely torpedoed in Unleashed.

TrueBlue

Honestly, they should've made separate sub-series for Modern and Classic after the success of Generations.

Both have merit, let them play to their strengths as opposed to crowbarring them together again. Mania has the right idea. It's a shame we don't have a focused Modern Sonic title to accompany it.

Even if they do separate sub-series after this, equating character designs and playstyles is a massive problem. They shouldn't be afraid to do a Classic-styled game with a Modern aesthetic and vice-versa. Sonic 4's issue wasn't the character designs for instance.

I dunno. It just seems to encourage unnecessary fractures.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
They shouldn't be afraid to do a Classic-styled game with a Modern aesthetic and vice-versa.

In a just world, the next evolution in aesthetics for classic Sonic would be sprite work on the level of the old Win95 Sonic Screensaver.

6150.png

Guess Who

Banned
In a just world, the next evolution in aesthetics for classic Sonic would be sprite work on the level of the old Win95 Sonic Screensaver.

6150.png

I was just thinking earlier how I hope, when Mania does well, Sega gives the team enough budget and time to do an honest to god Rayman Origins caliber 2D art game. I love how well the team has captured the classic Sonic pixel art aesthetic even in the new stages, but imagine if they could do a whole game with full HD assets.

RagnarokX

Well, it could be a separate Classic Sonic from the Generations one, or the alternate dimension that he's from is a timeline that split after he went back to his own time in Generations. But I think they will separate the franchise in to both a classic world and a modern one.

Well, I mean like Modern Sonic still used to be Classic Sonic in his dimension, but I think they're doing the dimension thing to create a Classic Sonic who stays Classic Sonic. That way they can more freely separate the two.

Um, wasn't Generations meant to be non-canon? I swear I read something about that before.

I mean, it makes Eggman's presence in Lost World less confusing, and Orbot and Cubot are not abandoned in the deep reaches of space anymore like they were shown in Generations, so...

Nah. Generations directly follows Colors. Eggman has a flashback to the ending of Colors to explain where he got his new power.

If I'm recalling correctly what's publically been said about Sonic canon is that each major game generally follows the last one but you shouldn't think too hard about it. I think they also said that the details are up to fans imaginations but I can't remember if that was part of the same Q and A as the first part or not.

That said, Sega had some kind of internal canon because Ian Flynn, the (most recent) writer of the Sonic comics, is allowed to use things based on whether or not they're canon. I don't know the details but he said that Sonic R was considered canon by them.

Also Somic games now take place in two separate worlds that Sonic can travel between (Earth, with humans, and Sonic's world) which doesn't make sense in most of the main stories so canon is a very loose term.

MrBadger

Under a week to go, and Green Hill is the only stage where we've seen an entire play through. It and Chemical Plant are the only stages where we've extensively seen both acts.

Studiopolis was the first stage we saw and we've only seen a few brief seconds of Act 2 in the Special Stages trailer, and some likely outdated footage in the announcement. We've seen nothing of Mirage Saloon Act 1.

We know we're getting a CD-style intro cinematic (and maybe ending too) and we've not seen any of it.

I really hope this method of marketing the game works out in the long run. I'm really excited about how many surprises are waiting for us.

I'm staying the fuck off Youtube until I've beaten it though, I don't feel like seeing any "ALL BOSSES AND ENDING" thumbnails that ruin all the boss fights again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom