• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the Star Wars sets that will be on sale at midnight for May 4th:

20%

10212 Imperial Shuttle™
10221 Super Star Destroyer

10%

7929 The Battle of Naboo™
7956 Ewok™ Attack
7961 Darth Maul’s Sith Infiltrator™
7962 Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba’s Podracers
7964 Republic Frigate™

This list is based on what's on sale right now at the New Zealand Lego online store. It's already the 4th over there. I assume the percent discount is the same everywhere.
SWEET nothing on my wishlist or that I don't already have. That means my wallet stays fat tomorrow. Aside from Artoo :)

amazon has all of the avengers and x-men sets back in stock

LEGO Wolverine Chopper Showdown 6866, wolverine, magneto and deadpool minifigs in this set. Really a steal for $20.

LEGO Captain Americas Avenging Cycle 6865

also available:
LEGO Cosmic Cube Escape 6867
LEGO Hulk Helicarrier Breakout 6868
LEGO Quinjet Aerial Battle 6869

A thousand blessings on you sir. These had been sitting in my LEGO.com cart for weeks...I can use CC points at amazon...bought all of 'em cept the cosmic cube.

depths20XX

So I said I was going to get the PotC ships and avoid the modulars for now...

Ended up ordering Firehouse, Pet Shop, and Grand Emporium today. It was inevitable.

For those of you who do the MOC stuff, do you just break down all your sets and mix them together? I feel like that would make it really hard if you ever wanted to rebuild an old set or wanted to go about selling an old set.

Even when I collected when I was younger I never mixed the sets. I had a separate bucket for all the 'building' Lego.

MCF

Develop Magazine
For those of you who do the MOC stuff, do you just break down all your sets and mix them together? I feel like that would make it really hard if you ever wanted to rebuild an old set or wanted to go about selling an old set.

Even when I collected when I was younger I never mixed the sets. I had a separate bucket for all the 'building' Lego.

Yeah, I have a real problem with the idea of mixing sets I like, hence why I've been buying lots of random cheap sets/lots and doing Pick-A-Brick when I can.

But it seems a lot of people just tear down their modulars for MOCs going by the other forums. Cost effective!

MCF

Develop Magazine
Here's some pics of my Arkham Asylum MOC. It's busy and wacky but it was a blast to build and it was my first MOC too.

Lego-Arkham-1.jpg

Lego-Arkham-10.jpg

Lego-Arkham-16.jpg

Lego-Arkham-12.jpg

Lego-Arkham-8.jpg

Moop, I love this. Got any more pics? I spy Medieval Market pieces, correct? Another other major sets used in there?

I may have to buy the Shuttle tomorrow. Was hoping it would get down to $200 but 20% off is pretty great. Only thing stopping me is having no place to put it. Even if I cleared off shelf space, I think it will be too tall for my current shelves.

Moop, I love this. Got any more pics? I spy Medieval Market pieces, correct? Another other major sets used in there?
I second wanting more pics. I just noticed the armless dude running around in the second pic and some kind of monster or broken statue in the bottom left. Lots of nice detail.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes

Ended up ordering Firehouse, Pet Shop, and Grand Emporium today. It was inevitable.

The Modulars are awesome, enjoy them.

As for MOCing buy huge ugly ass sets you don't like but could make use of when you see them on sale, then pick-a-brick or bricklink the rest.

Here's the Star Wars sets that will be on sale at midnight for May 4th:

20%

10212 Imperial Shuttle™
10221 Super Star Destroyer

10%

7929 The Battle of Naboo™
7956 Ewok™ Attack
7961 Darth Maul’s Sith Infiltrator™
7962 Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba’s Podracers
7964 Republic Frigate™

This list is based on what's on sale right now at the New Zealand Lego online store. It's already the 4th over there. I assume the percent discount is the same everywhere.

Hopefully free shipping as well? I want to get the Imperial Shuttle, do these things usually sell out quickly online through the Lego Shop?

Naka

I was planning on getting R2-D2 for the 4th promotion but with the sale on the SSD I don't think I can pass that up. R2 will have to wait.

DJ_Lae

amazon has all of the avengers and x-men sets back in stock

LEGO Wolverine Chopper Showdown 6866, wolverine, magneto and deadpool minifigs in this set. Really a steal for $20.

I want this one so bad - it's the best value of any of those sets (and the only one I really want).

Anyone know who sells it in Canada? The usual suspects here don't seem to have an entry for the chopper at all (Toys R Us, Walmart, etc). My last resort is a little toy shop downtown, but I'd probably end up paying $35 or more knowing their prices.

I want this one so bad - it's the best value of any of those sets (and the only one I really want).

Anyone know who sells it in Canada? The usual suspects here don't seem to have an entry for the chopper at all (Toys R Us, Walmart, etc). My last resort is a little toy shop downtown, but I'd probably end up paying $35 or more knowing their prices.

Mastermind Toys. $24.95

I second wanting more pics. I just noticed the armless dude running around in the second pic and some kind of monster or broken statue in the bottom left. Lots of nice detail.

Happy to oblige. And good eye. The larger building is indeed the Medieval Market Village building modified. In fact I bought two of those sets during the last Toys R Us BOGO 50% off. I had originally intended to use both buildings from both sets.
I started by combining the 2 larger buildings. Once I saw how large that was going to be, I decided to test the layout with the Arkham Asylum set. I saw how huge it was going to be with just those components, so I scrapped the combining of the blue buildings and just stuck with what you see there.
I was originally going to theme the cells out and maybe give them a more high security vibe, but I liked the idea of Arkham being more manor built and decrepit. It also played out in my head that it made more sense why the villains always seemed to escape. I loved all of the extras that the Market Village came with so I decided to incorporate the furniture and stuff as a way of filling the cells out.
I think the monster that you are mentioning is the brown guy. He's from the Power Miners sets and he looks a lot like The Animated Series Clayface so I used him as a substitute. The armless guy is kind of a nod to that mini-boss in the Arkham City game that swings the sledge hammer around. The only official villain minifig I don't have is Croc as he's pretty expensive on his own, but I did build his cell in the lower left corner for when I eventually get him.
I'll just post the series of pics I took as a whole. I also have to say that I got inspiration from a MOC on Eurobricks made by BeKindRewind. His fence and the use of the Clayface minifig is a direct rip-off.
I appreciate all the comments. I think I figured out how I'm going to display it but I'll have to convince the girlfriend to go along with it so we'll see.

Lego-Arkham-1.jpg

Lego-Arkham-2.jpg

Lego-Arkham-3.jpg

Lego-Arkham-4.jpg

Lego-Arkham-5.jpg

Lego-Arkham-6.jpg

Lego-Arkham-7.jpg

Lego-Arkham-8.jpg

Lego-Arkham-9.jpg

Lego-Arkham-10.jpg

Lego-Arkham-11.jpg

Lego-Arkham-12.jpg

Lego-Arkham-13.jpg

Lego-Arkham-14.jpg

Lego-Arkham-15.jpg

Lego-Arkham-16.jpg

Fantomex

Hey guys sorry to interrupt the awesome MOC, I can't find the little polybag Batman with the boat anywhere. I've tried Toys "r" Us in the area, Targets and am thinking of hitting up Wal Mart. Did I miss the boat on these? I really wanted a Bats without having to purchase a set :(

depths20XX

Hey guys sorry to interrupt the awesome MOC, I can't find the little polybag Batman with the boat anywhere. I've tried Toys "r" Us in the area, Targets and am thinking of hitting up Wal Mart. Did I miss the boat on these? I really wanted a Bats without having to purchase a set :(

I don't think they have them at Target. When I went to TRU they had a ton of them but they were not in an area you would think they would be. All sitting in some Lego bucket near the Lego clocks.

You could also try Bricklink or Ebay.

Naka

They are exclusive to Toys R Us, so if you cant find one at a local TRU you will have to resort to eBay or Bricklink. You can check back on TRU's website periodically to see if they get more in stock for shipping as well.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12851499

Fantomex

Thanks Guys. I checked out Toys R Us but all they had was the pod racer, friends and City sets. I'll try all the other sites you suggested, Thanks!

mjc

So for the LOTR sets, it looks like Legolas is only available in the Mines of Moria set? I know I'm gonna get the Helm's Deep set and maybe the Uruk-Hai Army set (for the extra section of wall), but its gonna suck to drop $80 for the Moria set too.

So for the LOTR sets, it looks like Legolas is only available in the Mines of Moria set? I know I'm gonna get the Helm's Deep set and maybe the Uruk-Hai Army set (for the extra section of wall), but its gonna suck to drop $80 for the Moria set too.
Ya but you get a cave troll in a thong.

wetwired

A bit of an update on my custom minifigure adventures...

I added the ghostbuster logo to their arms, it was a bit of a pain in the arse and really fiddley but I got there eventually.

ghostbusters2.jpg

ghostbusters3.jpg

The edge of the decals on the arm logos is a bit noticeable in photos but it's not as bad in real life.

I also thought I'd share my custom TDK joker, still work in progress obviously though

joker.jpg

The torso I've painted white so that when I put a clear decal over the top the colours will be nice and vibrant, if I was to put it directly over the dark green torso it would be muddy and shit. The face I got online somewhere, can't remember where, and the torso I will be making from scratch.

The hair is a clone wars anikan hair painted with warhammer paints the colour is actually pretty close to legos sand green colour, just a little dark and a little more saturated.

davidnic

A bit of an update on my custom minifigure adventures...

I also thought I'd share my custom TDK joker, still work in progress obviously though

joker.jpg

The torso I've painted white so that when I put a clear decal over the top the colours will be nice and vibrant, if I was to put it directly over the dark green torso it would be muddy and shit. The face I got online somewhere, can't remember where, and the torso I will be making from scratch.

The hair is a clone wars anikan hair painted with warhammer paints the colour is actually pretty close to legos sand green colour, just a little dark and a little more saturated.

Looks awesome man keep up the good work. I can't wait to the end result!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ergh, letdown, should've known LEGO would've been stingy bastards as always.

The discounts on the SSD and Imperial Shuttle are amazing but I still don't have that money to spend on LEGO. Was hoping there'd be decent discounts on other sets, not like a couple of quid off here and there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I haven't broken down my modulars yet, but I expect they'll go into my main collection of bricks- too many useful pieces to hide away.

It's not difficult to rebuild sets if you organise your pieces well. You have three big sets so worth setting up at least a basic sorting method. Eg - bricks in one drawer/tub, flate plates in another, roof slopes in another. Don't sort by colour sort by size. If you have drawers with dividers or tubs, you can further subdivide bricks and plates by size. I have sections for
Bricks
- 1x1 & 1x2
- 1x3 & 1x4
- 1x6 & 1x8
- anything longer than 1x8

-2x2 & 2x3
- 2x4
- 2x6 & 2x8
- anything longer than 2x8

And similar for plates. Those are just in large drawers with dividers in.

Then 'special' bricks can go in a final tub, little pieces that don't fit in the other categories. Of course as your collection grows you can expand as you need.

Ergh, letdown, should've known LEGO would've been stingy bastards as always.

The discounts on the SSD and Imperial Shuttle are amazing but I still don't have that money to spend on LEGO. Was hoping there'd be decent discounts on other sets, not like a couple of quid off here and there.

This. Most Star Wars Lego is available on Amazon or what have you for cheap. Tie Fighters were £40 on there. Lego is charging £50 still.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I got the Y-Wing for just over the 55 euros required for the promo stuff. No real point in getting the more expensive sets from lego.com since you get them much cheaper elsewhere.

Naka

I got the Y-Wing for just over the 55 euros required for the promo stuff. No real point in getting the more expensive sets from lego.com since you get them much cheaper elsewhere.

What do you mean? Where can you get the SSD cheaper than 20% off? That seems like a huge deal to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What do you mean? Where can you get the SSD cheaper than 20% off? That seems like a huge deal to me.

Same. I never saw the imperial shuttle or SSD discounted much online. 20% off plus VIP points plus free shipping (online) plus a free minifig, plus an R2D2 poster, (plus a mini tie fighter in the UK) is a damn good offer.

Oh man what I would pay to have a set of those Ghostbuster minifigs. Lego needs to buy the license and make a game, it would work great and imagine the sets we would get out of them.

Also, what is the general consensus on the ARC-170 Starfighter set? I think it looks great but how is the build?

Same. I never saw the imperial shuttle or SSD discounted much online. 20% off plus VIP points plus free shipping (online) plus a free minifig, plus an R2D2 poster, (plus a mini tie fighter in the UK) is a damn good offer.

Amazon has had the Imperial Shuttle on sale periodically. I've seen it as low as $189 on there.

isny

napkin dispenser
The sale is live.

Some of the Star Wars bundles include double points, so double points, free shipping, and the free minifig sounds pretty good for those who are interested in the specific Star Wars items that give double points.

Unfortunately for Canadians, even with the 10/20% discount, free shipping, and the minifig, spending $75 really isn't worth it as $75 on the Canadian Lego store is basically $45 on the U.S. Lego store =/

Oh hell. Logged into the sale to get me an X-wing and maybe battle for naboo set and saw the Imperial Shuttle was about $50 off. Got that instead. I so don't have space for this at my current place. But I'm a happy man.

Also, came to my gf house to pick her up for the avengers at midnight and she surprised me with Batwing battle over Gotham city set. Score!

Oh hell. Logged into the sale to get me an X-wing and maybe battle for naboo set and saw the Imperial Shuttle was about $50 off. Got that instead. I so don't have space for this at my current place. But I'm a happy man.

Also, came to my gf house to pick her up for the avengers at midnight and she surprised me with Batwing battle over Gotham city set. Score!

That is some awesomely nerdy stuff right there and I love it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Weird question for a friend; does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the UCS R2-D2 box it comes in?

38x58x10cm

Looking forward to upcoming posts of love from shuttle, SSD and R2 builds. I'm not buying R2, but if anyone adds power and RC I think I'll cave

So it seems that the promo minifig gets added to my basket even if all the 75 is not Star Wars. I wonder if I will still get it if I place the order...

Tempted to pull the trigger on that R2 though.

i was in a fringe area of town yesterday, went into a store, and found some series 3 minifig bags that I could not resist getting (well I got 5 of the 20 or so they still had) they where only 2€ a bag, ie 50c cheaper than anywhere else.
and the ferocious creature crocodile thingy for 25€, greatly reduced from its RRP.

the five minifigs where:
the rapper
the mummy
the tennis player
the baseball player
the sumo wrestler

might have to go back while they still have them...

and great wolverine shot up there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom