• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The opening to Final Fantasy XV's story is completely baffling

Rarius

The nonsense of putting massive chunks of the story in a side movie (Which you don't fucking get with the game) and characterization in the Anime was gross from the outset...

And then throughout the game you can SEE people going off on quests that are never explained, and just, you know, happen and are never brought up again.

Garlador

It's proof that the game was no where near finished. They threw together a bunch of BS just to fill time. Wait until you get to the later chapters which is some of the most linear and unconnected things I've ever played.

The only good thing about XV is that it makes XIII look good.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, now...

Did they ever explain how to use summons? I used Ramuh once with no idea how cause it just asked me to push a button. Then I used him one other time while hunting. Other than that I had no idea what the qualifications were and never had another opportunity to use any of them.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
This community gets embarrassing any time the game gets brought up. Some people swear it's the worst game ever.

And as much as the story pacing and exposition deserve to get panned, the gameplay was worthwhile enough to me to really enjoy it. I felt the same way about XIII, to the point where I decided to play it again. I also enjoyed the set pieces quite a bit.

I've often wondered, though, because of the series' heavy diversity and lightning rod history, should it just die? Will they ever be able to make a mainline FF game that will truly satisfy the masses? There will always be a group that says, well it's not like FFVI or IX or X or XII so I don't like it.

Zemm

That stand by me cover was pretty nice though.

The cover itself is nice sure, but the way they used it in the game was pure parody. Was genuinely laughing out loud at that part and I'm 100% sure that wasn't their intention.

sappyday

The campfire scene at the end was very powerful. It's the only cutscene in the game that I consider an actual good scene. Imagine it had a great story leading up to it.

silva1991

Did they ever explain how to use summons? I used Ramuh once with no idea how cause it just asked me to push a button. Then I used him one other time while hunting. Other than that I had no idea what the qualifications were and never had another opportunity to use any of them.

You can read the conditions here

http://www.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-15/Summons

I'm not even sure if those conditions are accurate. Summoning system in this game is a random mess.

sappyday

And as much as the story pacing and exposition deserve to get panned, the gameplay was worthwhile enough to me to really enjoy it. I felt the same way about XIII, to the point where I decided to play it again. I also enjoyed the set pieces quite a bit.

I've often wondered, though, because of the series' heavy diversity and lightning rod history, should it just die? Will they ever be able to make a mainline FF game that will truly satisfy the masses? There will always be a group that says, well it's not like FFVI or IX or X or XII so I don't like it.

If they would let Nomura focus on just one FF game with no other projects and give him a team he can lead then we can get a great FF game. Versus XIII still looked like it could have been great. Sure Nomura isn't the best storyteller but he does a good job of making games fun and exciting with some great characters too.

Or get YoshiP.

Rarius

The campfire scene at the end was very powerful. It's the only cutscene in the game that I consider an actual good scene. Imagine it had a great story leading up to it.

What really hurts it is the wet fart of a wedding scene afterwards.

Wow, look, it's Luna, who the game hasn't given me a reason to care about, ever, and is the character equivalent of a wet rag, and Noctis, who is suddenly in love with her fully, even though I'm pretty sure he has way more in common with Gladio's younger sister, who never even appears past the first act of the game.

theofficefan99

No we aren't being dramatic, the game has more negatives than postives, good for you if you can deal with them, but most of us here couldn't, i tried to and i wanted to like this game but i couldn't, i would be only fooling myself if i said it was a good game.

This. I tried so desperately to love this game. But once I completed Chapter 4 I was appalled. I remember actually being angry upon completing Chapter 4. I was upset at how horrid the story beats have been, plus the laughable time skip of "a few days later," and the main story feeling like it was made on a shoestring budget. Then I realized that the whole game is going to be like this pretty much; horrid main story and your only alternative is the tedious open world and the awful quests. I couldn't believe this was the game I was waiting for, and that this was a mainline FF title. For a series that makes a bunch of changes per entry, you could always at least expect a focus on story and extremely strong presentation. Not with FFXV!

It could have been worse. Noctis could have found out while taking a dump and browsing his smartphone.

Hey, at least that would actually be believable.

Why does it seem as though most "story writers" for games have no idea what they're doing?
Yup

This type of shoddy writing and scene direction has been in Final Fantasy for quite awhile, but It sticks out much more in FFXV. They go to all the trouble of crafting this very imaginative fantasy world, and they don't take advantage of it. They instead rely on cliches and primitive storytelling just to move things along.

AzureFlame

That might be because there is almost none.

Noctis and Co drive to the marriage
They read newspaper with Insominas downfall and Regis dead
"Hey Cor! My dad is dead :(" "You gotta get the kings power!"
"Hey Noctis & Co I am leaving again cause I gotta do some shit, have fun!"
"Our car has been stolen and we have to get it back! Woah who is that amazing aerial fighter?"
"Yo Titan is badass, wait what why is the empire here?"
"Wait what? Why did the Empire took us here without any explaination? Let's get a boat for Alitisia!"
"Damn we need something which is only in that swamp dungeon for our boat! Oh also bye Gladiolus do your own thing!"
"Hey aerial woman! nice to see at least you again!"
"Nice boat"
"Nice wedding dress!"
*some politics shit*
"Leviathan! I will make your power my own"
*gets wrecked*
*luna summons the kings power DBZ style*
*senseless button mashing*
"No Ignis is blind T_T why though? nobody wants to explain, get the DLC!"
"Now let's finish this with a train drive lulz and lose Prompto in that snow area for his DLC ;D"
*worst dungeon ever with magic ring*
"Oh the great crystal, lol wut I am being absorbed and there is Bahamut explaining shit. let me summon you, you dick!"
*years later*
"Yo Noct, remember me? Talbot? ;D .... ehm no."
"Hi I am Ifrit and there would be lore about me, but we had to cut everything - let's fight!"
"Okay final boss with emotional moments and stupid fights"

End: Community opinion A
"Everyone is dead!"
Community opinion B
"Only Noctis is dead!!"
The End.

Lmao oh god..

Kumomeme

Some of y'all are being really dramatic.

the game's combat was designed to be simple for simpletons and more involved for those who want more and are more advanced. This especially shows in some of the harder optional content and timed quests. A lot of y'all didn't do those, it seems. Sure I wish the game's story missions were harder and more involved. But it wasn't crap, I had a lot of fun warping around and air stepping between enemies. Some of the parries in the game, like the one against the second to lass boss where all the bros got involved was really great. In a nutshell, the combat is something that takes a while to get down and do well. But once you're doing it we'll, the game is really enjoyable and comes across as satisfying.

I can understand their decision for designing a simple combat system for simpletons so they could attract more players especially casuals to try and buy the game...remembered how square keep mentioning how they want to attact more non FF fans to try this game before?If i recall correctly skyrim's simple combat also due to similliar reason..looks how much that game being sold..maybe square decide for this due to bussiness reason

Still...the combat too simple...lack of depth and reward for players who git gud..
Not mention most of fight players just charge head on regardless need of any tactical approach(if there any)..too bad because the combat system had potential actually

ultima786

I can understand their decision for designing a simple combat system for simpletons so they could attract more players especially casuals to try and buy the game...remembered how square keep mentioning how they want to attact more non FF fans to try this game before?If i recall correctly skyrim's simple combat also due to similliar reason..looks how much that game being sold..maybe square decide for this due to bussiness reason

Still...the combat too simple...lack of depth and reward for players who git gud..
Not mention most of fight players just charge head on regardless need of any tactical approach(if there any)..too bad because the combat system had potential actually

I appreciate what you're saying. It definitely wasn't perfect. But I see a lot of people comparing to Witcher 3 and to be honest Noctis felt better to fight with.

I want to encourage players to try some of the time quest content and extra dungeons , there are some legit fun and tough stuff in there. There was one TQ recently where you had to fight to kill tens of those Coerels (tiger like beasts) and it was seriously nuts. I had a blast doing it.

Sorry friends, I had to step in because of all the crazy exaggeration going on in this thread.

theofficefan99

Crazy exaggeration? Like what? Sick of XV fans always yelling "hyperbole" and "exaggeration" whenever someone who hates the game or certain aspects of it are voicing their opinion.

You can like or love the game, by all means! But please do not pretend like it doesn't have a mountain of flaws.... Per category.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm playing Horizon now for the first time and, if not for the lack of a proper party, this is closer to what I wanted and expected from a main FF than what I ended up getting with in FFXV. It's incredibile how incompetent is Square Enix next to a team with its first rpg release and only fps background history. I'm really clueless and somehow pissed of considering FF for decades was my favorite rpg to play. FfXV is honestly my least favorite entry in this franchise. Really a mess. Bah

Kumomeme

I appreciate what you're saying. It definitely wasn't perfect. But I see a lot of people comparing to Witcher 3 and to be honest Noctis felt better to fight with.

I want to encourage players to try some of the time quest content and extra dungeons , there are some legit fun and tough stuff in there. There was one TQ recently where you had to fight to kill tens of those Coerels (tiger like beasts) and it was seriously nuts. I had a blast doing it.

Well comparing FFXV and Witcher 3 obviously FFXV is better in combat aspect
But still,the combat actually feels lacking ...not saying it the worst ever..its actually good,fun but just saying it actually could been better...

Top Bottom