• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: How was Splinter Cell: Conviction?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's not a stealth game per se, but try the Assassin's Creed games (skip the abortion that is the first one though). You can play them stealthy if you want, and I think it's a good complement to Arkham City in gameplay terms.

Angry Fork

Mediocre.
The "stealth" is retarded in this game.

These.

Fuck Ubi Montreal for that game. I can only hope the next Splinter Cell will go back to it's stealth-oriented, hiding in shadows all the time, taking out lights etc. kind of roots.

Slow, methodical tension, not this fucking cover shooting running up and snapping neck bullshit. The 2nd half of the game was beyond awful to me, that carnival shit was the worst too. They could've tried to pull off a kind of Assassins Creed hiding in plain sight thing and instead there's barely any people around and you have to shoot your way around everywhere or do Bourne quick jump cover to cover crap.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
How was Splinter Cell: Conviction?

An abortion. Ubisoft took a knife to the once fertile womb of Tom Clancy this generation but the worst victim in it was the Splinter Cell baby.

"Press B to melee and then RT to kill 3 other dudes in a hack mark system! Enjoy!"

There was no stealth and the little stealth there was was broken by the melee/mark 3 people for the Five-seveN system. I really dunno what the developers were thinking with it but they should've went "wait, we're making a stealth game the fuck we need this for!?" and scrapped it.

No Spy vs Merc also makes me cry.

I would like a release of this for XBL, PSN & PC.. Sell it for $14.99 with Chaos Theroy type Spy vs Merc and I would buy

Ty4on

As a stealth fan I found it pretty awesome. It isn't slow paced like more realistic stealth games where you really have to plan your route and execution, that makes it very different hence why so many hate it, but it's still IMO a lot of fun. The later stages also require more thinking than tapping the b button (melee, instakill vs anyone).

There is one very bad non stealth level though.

tc farks

All the Deus Ex talk is making me remember how much I enjoyed that game.

Splinter Cell Conviction on the other hand I could never get into.

Pretty boring. Didn't hate it and got no real strong feelings about them taking splinter cell in another direction, just really didn't like the game they put out, felt way too automated and the story was even worse than the ones before it. It looked pretty awesome though.

Mafro

As a traditional Splinter Cell game it's pretty disappointing.

As a game in it's own right it's very good.

MMaRsu

Banned
I know it's not a stealth game per se, but try the Assassin's Creed games (skip the abortion that is the first one though). You can play them stealthy if you want, and I think it's a good complement to Arkham City in gameplay terms.

First AC an abortion? The fuck :/

I haven't played Deus Ex yet. You can run through that pretty stealthy?

I think you can pretty much get through the game without killing any guards or be detected etc..

DEUS EX IS MUCH BETTER

I should really get back into that though as I havent even finished it yet.. lol! *boots up DEUS EX HR*

Speaking of which have I missed any sales on the DLC? I am so goddamn poor but maybe it will pop up in the Christmas sale flood....

The stealth is really mediocre and as an "action game" it is pretty poor too. The coop is a joke too, minimal effort put into it. There is nothing "cooperative" about that coop. I have played worse games though.

Yamibito

Haha this thread is hilarious, it's a great game if you can get over the fact it's different than the four games before it- I enjoyed it more than I thought I would because the core gameplay is fantastic, just because you can't suspend yourself high in a corridor by doing the splits it doesn't mean it sucks. Change is sometimes good and yes I think it applies here even if I loved chaos theory as much as everyone else.

MMaRsu

Banned
Haha this thread is hilarious, it's a great game if you can get over the fact it's different than the four games before it- I enjoyed it more than I thought I would because the core gameplay is fantastic, just because you can't suspend yourself high in a corridor by doing the splits it doesn't mean it sucks. Change is sometimes good and yes I think it applies here even if I loved chaos theory as much as everyone else.

Fantastic? What was fantastic about it?

Jamesways

First AC an abortion? The fuck :/

I think you can pretty much get through the game without killing any guards or be detected etc..

Me too, I loved the first AC. :( Loved the time period and look and feel of the cities.

Cool, thanks for the info, I'll look at picking up DE.

JB1981

I'm certain that if they have opted for real shadows for our optional stealth kills, instead of that awful black and white design choice, it would've been better.

The problem is that even though there was a vague stealth approach, the game was made with action adventure in mind and the combat scenarios weren't that fun when trying to do stealth. However, the action aspect of the game was cool and made you feel kinda epic.

The game was a major step back IMO.

Is the gunplay satisfying in a gears/uncharted kind of way? What I mean is, if the stealth is not that great, then how is the AI, the fluidity of moving from cover and flanking etc? How is CQC (i should really play the demo more)

JB1981

I have Assassins Creed II and never finished it. I do this though. I start games and don't finish them. It's like I have gaming ADD. I was really enjoying AC2 too. I need to get back to that game.

I think it's time to stop playing multiplayer and get back into my SP games. I think it's more rewarding.

MMaRsu

Banned
Is the gunplay satisfying in a gears/uncharted kind of way? What I mean is, if the stealth is not that great, then how is the AI, the fluidity of moving from cover and flanking etc? How is CQC (i should really play the demo more)

The AI is stupid as hell. Did you watch that Let's play that somebody linked here? Shit is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZpzp7o4YMU

Seriously..watch the second chapter ><

If you havent finished ACII that's a good game too man, and Brotherhood is even better imo, havent played revalations. But Deus EX is also worth your time. If you have a huge backlog of great games I wouldnt play this.

Well if you stick to the coop mission the game actually takes some skill and is rewarding stealth over mindless shooting, but even then it's more of a shooter than a stealth game.

Also the story is downright pathethic. Retconning the only real character plot of Sam just to have some drama in this game... pathethic.

Tadale

It wasn't splinter cell in the least bit. I think publishers have greatly underestimated the level of depth that people want in their games. Ubisoft boiled Splinter Cell down into a 3rd person shooter – one of my biggest disappointments this generation.

It's no Chaos Theory, but it's a decent game, well worth playing even with its flaws. Mark and kill is indefensible but everything else is solid. Of course the hyperbole that it's some horrible abortion is absurd.

Tadale

You probably played Chaos Theory, but if you haven't, you should. Best stealth game ever made.

It's crazy how much of a great thing they had in 2005, just to strip it all away five years later. Combine that with the lack of spies vs. mercs, and it's almost like they didn't understand what made Splinter Cell great in the first place.

Ricky_R

The gunplay is nothing like Gears or Uncharted. Its main focus is to do kills in a cinematic way (they gave this a name, but can't remember it), but the basic gunplay is effective. It's just no as smooth as others. The game does a good job to make you feel like Bourne though.

AI is kinda retarded. Cover to cover is nicely done with cool animations. There's no actual CQC if I remember correctly. Only interrogation prompts that look very nice.

You probably played Chaos Theory, but if you haven't, you should. Best stealth game ever made.

Chaos Theory is the MECCA of stealth gaming. So fucking great.

The AI is stupid as hell. Did you watch that Let's play that somebody linked here? Shit is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZpzp7o4YMU

Seriously..watch the second chapter ><

If you havent finished ACII that's a good game too man, and Brotherhood is even better imo, havent played revalations. But Deus EX is also worth your time. If you have a huge backlog of great games I wouldnt play this.

"Oh shit... let's stare at him"

:lol

I only played the original and the 2nd one. Missed out on CT.

I had no love for the franchise prior to it and I think it was pretty bad.

Very disappointing, as the E3 demo was so cool at the MS conference that year.

thefil

I disagree. Deus Ex may be everything Metal Gear wanted to be, but it is nothing like Splinter Cell.

And I would say that DX is more like Splinter Cell than Metal Gear. So apparently there is no solution to this relational quandry.

@ $40 I enjoyed SC:C. Given the caliber of games that have come since, I'd say its now a rental at best.

The Batman and Assassins Creed games(two thru Revelations) are leagues better IMO.

It's a decent game in its own right, perhaps not so much as a Splinter Cell game.

Some of the scenarios were quite fun. It's a shame they used Unreal 2.5 for whatever reason, because the games visuals fluctuate from 'awesome' to 'jaggy shit'.

It's not bad but parts of the game were made by idiots.

Not bad development, actual dumb people.

I am 99% sure that an escaped mental patient went in to Ubisoft's offices at night and messed with whoever was in charge of checkpointing's computer and they just shipped the game like that, anyway.

There is no other explanation for the "My name is Sam Fischer, I used to work here" section.

soultron

Banned
Laughing at the jaded haters in here. They're right, it's not classic Splinter Cell. It's a completely different type of game, and if you walk into it acknowledging that, you'll have a good time.

Play it on the hardest difficulty so that playing stealthily is a necessity. Play it on the easier difficulties if you want it to be more of an action game.

The coop is great. As is the single player. The environment plays a big role in setting up traps. The AI seemed pretty solid from what I could remember too; calling in reinforcements, searching an environment for you, and generally being more threatening than guards in, say, a MGS game. The story falls apart towards the end though, unfortunately.

Definitely give it a spin. It can be had for next to nothing these days. It's very much worth it if you're open-minded and don't give a shit about what Splinter Cell once was.

Yamibito

Fantastic? What was fantastic about it?

It's snappy, fun and makes you feel like a badass- sure it's different from the previous games but it's still highly enjoyable. The core gameplay is fantastic as I said but the scenarios aren't always the best to show that off, the co-op however shows off how great the gameplay is very well.

soultron

Banned
It's snappy, fun and makes you feel like a badass- sure it's different from the previous games but it's still highly enjoyable. The core gameplay is fantastic as I said but the scenarios aren't always the best to show that off, the co-op however shows off how great the gameplay is very well.

Plus, the story in COOP is much better than SP.

Keep in mind that I haven't really played many of the other Splinter Cell games for more than an hour of two but I really dug Conviction. I thought it had really solid gameplay and the challenges were great.

IMO if you can find it for $20 or less it's a no-brainer purchase.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I don't remember much about the campaign other than the bankrupt AI and guards saying fuck every twenty fucking seconds. Game was a breeze, even on the hardest setting, even without relying on auto-headshots. It really felt like any other competent-but-unremarkable cover-based shooter, just this one had some stealth mechanics applied over its core.

Co-op seemed a fair bit better, but my friend and I spent most of our time just screwing around rather than tackling the objectives, heh.

It's a fun coop game, but not really a Splinter Cell game.

The single-player is a good rental, as it is short and fairly easy.

I paid 25$ and was satisfied with my purchase. I hope the next SC game is worth 60$ though, because this one wasn't.

Top Bottom