• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: How was Splinter Cell: Conviction?

I was talking from a quality standpoint. I don't care what the fans think.
And RE4 is not "highly beloved by fans new and old".

Uuuuuh, yes it is? Generally, RE4 is considered more of a milestone for RE than RE5. RE5 took it further from its roots than RE4 in a similar way to Conviction and Splinter Cell.

kunonabi

Uuuuuh, yes it is? Generally, RE4 is considered more of a milestone for RE than RE5. RE5 took it further from its roots than RE4 in a similar way to Conviction and Splinter Cell.

I'm not really a fan of RE4 and neither were the rest of friends who were big RE players. We all dropped out around RE4. I played Outbreak but I was off the main series once RE4 hit.

rvy

Banned

All I hear from RE fans is bitching and moaning because of RE4.

We never were and likely never will get a "classic" Resident Evil game. RE4 still had a lot better understanding of atmosphere and tension compared to RE5 without taking on too many characteristics of an action-shooter.

RE5 took it a bit too far for my tastes.

I thought the lighting stuff in the gameplay was really clever... It's a fun game, just don't expect splinter cell. I'm rubbish at stealth games, so the change of pace really suited me.

It's the same old trial and error bullshit that Ubi's been pulling with this series since Day fucking one with the original. Nothing has changed, everything just looks prettier.

Ivan 3414

It's a pretty good game. My problem with it was certain design choices where it was near impossible to go through the game totally stealthily. It leans too much on the action side of things and that was disappointing.

I hope for the next game they add some mechanics from the older games like moving dead bodies, whistling, and other non-lethal, silent options like knock-out gas.

Jhoan

I'm still looking for someone to play some co-op with if anyone's interested. My gamertag is TheDarkestRed.

I'll help you out; I need a reason to pop in my copy (well there is the Ghost Recon beta). My GT is Johan El Fuerte; I'll send you an FR with a message (or vice versa). My brother and I were playing it on split screen co-op before he moved in with his girlfriend. I have all the DLC map packs as well so if you wanna do the other modes, I'll be down for that as well. Send me an invite if you see me online.

On topic, I thought it was a good game. For reference, I only played the first Splinter Cell, so I didn't play all of them. But SC was purely a stealth game; Conviction is basically Batman: Arkham Asylum with a "win" button. The five-seven broke the game. I just hated the Iraq section like so many other people. It was pretty annoying and just a straight up shooter section. I also hated the Washington D.C. section; I had a ton of trouble with it on hard, but it was doable. The D.C. level reminded me Modern Warfare 2's D.C. level.

But otherwise, I enjoyed it for what it was.I bought it for 15 bucks during a Best Buy Black Friday sale so I got my money's worth. The interrogation sections weren't anything special and didn't do anything for me, but they were cool I suppose. I did like the disarming animations and thinking of ways to take down enemies in a room. The challenges were also cool as well. I liked messing around with the gadgets.

Truant

Is the PC version good? Just played the 360 demo, and I guess the framerate and stuff isn't quite what I can get on my gaming rig.

Derrick01

Banned
Is the PC version good? Just played the 360 demo, and I guess the framerate and stuff isn't quite what I can get on my gaming rig.

It's serviceable but it doesn't run that amazing. For a game that old I can't even max it out and I get frequent framerate dips in random areas, and this is on a computer that can run Max Payne 3 on a mix of very high/high and Witcher 2 on almost all high settings. It's just not an amazingly well optimized game, but it runs well enough with some settings tinkering.

For what it was, it was an ok enjoyable game that is worth a rental.

However, regardless of title I will never consider it a splinter cell game.

Top Bottom