• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Rorschach

corkscrewblow said:
I take it you never played CS (not Source) then. They ruined that game with their 1.6 bs.
1.5 >>>>> 1.6
They listened to the community and took out some of the shit that people hated. That's why it's still played. And they supported the game for years.

gillty

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
I take it you never played CS (not Source) then. They ruined that game with their 1.6 bs.
1.5 >>>>> 1.6
yup they fixed the fucking game, you want to know what ruined it? the 13 year old ethugs that have 8 year old dells that play the game.

Mileena

Banned
You mean they listen to the pubmasters that post on steam forums. Fuck that game now, I quit playing seriously after they removed crouch hopping. Catering to pubstars isn't how you "fix" the game. They should have listened to what ESEA and GotFrag wanted since people there were actually serious about it.
Ogs said:
Community ruined it for me (hey, lets make every server dust2 24/7 deathmatch mod, YAY, we dont like variation!).
Play ESEA or scrim then, pubs aren't the only option.

corkscrewblow said:
1.5 >>>>> 1.6

Community ruined it for me (hey, lets make every server dust2 24/7 deathmatch mod, YAY, we dont like variation!).

Who knows, maybe this P2P thing is a blessing in disguise, il always be able to have some variety in my matches instead of douchebag server admin not liking that his arse got handed to him so i get kicked :lol

For this page:

2niuxkm.gif

alba

Little is the new Big
Rorschach said:
They listened to the community and took out some of the shit that people hated. That's why it's still played. And they supported the game for years.

They still ruined Counter-Strike with source :)

Frankly Valve has dropped a few notches for the way they've handled the items in TF2, but we're off topic here.

And kamspy's argument is :lol

Benson

Seriously people, we need to make a stand on this. Activision are trying to screw us because they know we will lie down and take it just to play their game. We need to hit them where it hurts, a full boycott of Activision games on ALL platforms, we need to remind them that without us their code is worthless!

There are plenty of other amazing games out there that deserve YOUR hard earned cash, keep the $60 Activision want to take off you and spend it on something you wouldn't normally buy, check out the indie scene or even just a genre you've so far ignored.

Make a stand NEOGAF! It's not going to be easy but remember, without us they're nothing!

I know this is melodramatic but this news has given me the RAGE!!!

Mikey Jr.

Benson said:
Seriously people, we need to make a stand on this. Activision are trying to screw us because they know we will lie down and take it just to play their game. We need to hit them where it hurts, a full boycott of Activision games on ALL platforms, we need to remind them that without us their code is worthless!

There are plenty of other amazing games out there that deserve YOUR hard earned cash, keep the $60 Activision want to take off you and spend it on something you wouldn't normally buy, check out the indie scene or even just a genre you've so far ignored.

Make a stand NEOGAF! It's not going to be easy but remember, without us they're nothing!

I know this is melodramatic but this news has given me the RAGE!!!

If you really wanna take a stand, buy the game on the second day or not at all. That way, Activision won't come out with some asshole PR announcement proclaiming MW2 as the hugest launch in the Universe in one day.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I have diverse enough taste and a big enough backlog that I dont need to buy Activision or Blizzard products. It's not that hard, especially on PC.

Timan

Developer
Mikey Jr. said:
If you really wanna take a stand, buy the game on the second day or not at all. That way, Activision won't come out with some asshole PR announcement proclaiming MW2 as the hugest launch in the Universe in one day.

Or stick it to the man and buy it used, sadly that doesn't work too well on pc games :(

HK-47 said:
I have diverse enough taste and a big enough backlog that I dont need to buy Activision or Blizzard products. It's not that hard, especially on PC.
Well my WoW subscription slipped and I already bought Dragon Age on steam. So yeah i am think i am good for this one.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I swear, I've listened to that webcast three times now, and the news of know dedi-servs just registered in my mind.

They knew damn well how severe the backlash would be, so why would you be stubborn enough to push forward with this move?

My conspiracy mind tells me that the guys at IW wanted the PC community to quit them, so they could quit the PC community without looking like sellouts. Modern Warfare 3, Xbox 360 exclusive.

RedSwirl

If it weren't for COD4's multipalyer (my first experience with COD multi) I probably would've still bought the game just for the campaign. I enjoyed it that much. At this point I'll probably rent MW2 on PS3 to see if its campaign is still just as good.

For now though it looks like that money is going towards... Phantasy Star Zero?

Doesnt effect me, but it strikes me as a dirty and self serving gesture from IW and Activision. Shame on anyone trying to spin it as anything other than what it is.

tHoMNZ

Petition thread # (constantly rising every minute) * 60 =
13243 * 60 = $794,580

They're set to lose a fucktonne of money

Im listening to it now from about 1 hour 25 mins, and these lot sound like the types that care more about the cl_updaterate console commands rather than the game itself, they really seem to have invested alot of themselves into this. The kind of people who winge at you in a CS server if your "rates" dont satisfy them.

I like these communities that put alot into there games, but ffs, they really paint a grim picture of things, listening to this all i can think of is some destroyed russian village with unhappy people everywhere.

Edit - Ouch the silence after the bombshell :lol

Edit - No Punkbuster ? THANK FUCK ! At least theres some good news. Everyone on Steam ? Could be good, what with all of Steams community features. We need more tech info from IW about all this tbh, alot of significant changes have been made.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
tHoMNZ said:
Petition thread # (constantly rising every minute) * 60 =
13243 * 60 = $794,580

They're set to lose a fucktonne of money
They'll make more back from all those that won't be able to pirate it. Plus they've got the DLC this time, as well, so if they do actually sell fewer copies, they can claw back some money with the DLC.

Majority of those people will probably cave and buy the game, anyway.

sestrugen

K.Jack said:
I swear, I've listened to that webcast three times now, and the news of know dedi-servs just registered in my mind.

They knew damn well how severe the backlash would be, so why would you be stubborn enough to push forward with this move?

My conspiracy mind tells me that the guys at IW wanted the PC community to quit them, so they could quit the PC community without looking like sellouts. Modern Warfare 3, Xbox 360 exclusive.

*tin foil hat*

epmode

Ogs said:
Im listening to it now from about 1 hour 25 mins, and these lot sound like the types that care more about the cl_updaterate console commands rather than the game itself, they really seem to have invested alot of themselves into this. The kind of people who winge at you in a CS server if your "rates" dont satisfy them.

I like these communities that put alot into there games, but ffs, they really paint a grim picture of things, listening to this all i can think of is some destroyed russian village with unhappy people everywhere.
Regardless of how they reacted, dedicated servers are a huge part of multiplayer gaming on PCs. And if the publishers really gave a shit about the gamers, it would be all over console gaming as well. It's almost always the ideal solution.

eggandI

Banned
cjelly said:
They'll make more back from all those that won't be able to pirate it. Plus they've got the DLC this time, as well, so if they do actually sell fewer copies, they can claw back some money with the DLC.

They are dumb because their money & time would be much better spent on games like Borderlands/Uncharted 2 :)

mandiller

I wonder if IW will actually hear the PC community and change things. What's wrong with matchmaking support for those that want it and dedicated servers and server browsers as well in one package

Tzeentch

cjelly said:
They'll make more back from all those that won't be able to pirate it.
-- If it wasn't before, this game is now set to shatter some torrent records due partly to the backlash this is generating. PC gamers scorned and all that.
-- It will also drive a lot of used purchases from those that drop the game now but come back later to try out MP anyways - which is even worse from Activisions point of view as that cash is going to Gamestop and friends.

Plus they've got the DLC this time, as well, so if they do actually sell fewer copies, they can claw back some money with the DLC.
-- Given that its clans and private servers that are propping up the huge PC MW1 playerbase, and ALL of those are going away, I don't think they will see much from this. But I suppose even $1 eeked out from the decimated PC MW2 playerbase is a "win" for them.

legend166

They're delusional if they think this will reduce piracy.

One of the greatest deterrents against piracy is a solid, populated multiplayer component. Sure, there's cracked servers, but they're usually horrible experiences filled with hacks and cheats. People playing on them would have no intention of buying the game in the first place.

By essentially giving the finger to the PC community, they're removing the appeal of multiplayer. Now, people will just pirate it to play the single player and continue playing another online shooter.

mandiller said:
I wonder if IW will actually hear the PC community and change things. What's wrong with matchmaking support for those that want it and dedicated servers and server browsers as well in one package

Would be perfect imo, everyone would be happy. 1 of the things i loved about MW on the 360 was that i was hooked up with a bunch of random peeps within seconds, and all we wanted to do was just play the vanilla game with a nice rotation of maps, thats what i and i guess many find to be the perfect online gaming session.

Modded up servers are absolutely great when you fancy some of that, but when a game turns into CS where nearly every server is a custom map with some annoying rules and nearly impossible to find a nice vanilla server with a nice variety of maps (not just fucking dust2), it ends up sucking hard for me (and my many friends that used to play it, and dont thanks to crap like this, downloading 100's of UT sounds before getting into a game because the admin wants people to hear HEADSHOT a hundred times, grrr).

BF2 has also turned into this, Infantry Only Karkand 24/7, great game ruined by a boring community (imo).

Also, have none of the guys in that show tried MW1 on the 360 ? To see how things run for themselves ? Before they go all melodramatic over it they should really look into how the consoles handle the P2P systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI

Oh well, one less game to buy this year which is fine. It's a shame as the multiplayer looked like it would be fun. I'll just hire the game on 360 or PS3 for a run through the singleplayer.

WedgeX

Banned
So seriously, no dedicated servers for MW2?

The main reason I buy and play first person shooters is for the online communities. Well admin-d servers are a plus, too.

The dedicated server worked fine for CoD and its extensions, and is still working fine for CoD4.

Ridiculous. No sale for me.

Reminds me...I need to start a thread about what fps's have good multiplayer communities.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NullPointer said:
Bungie's reasoning iirc was that including support for finding matches outside of their matchmaking system would reduce the player count in their official playlists, thus reducing the size of the pool they could use to find a good match of skill and connectivity.

So its basically an all or nothing system. And the quality of your multiplayer experience is determined by how aligned your style of play is to whoever manages the playlists, and how much money you've shelled out on DLC.
Private/dedicated servers can't take up that many people. I can't believe that for a PC FPS of such magnitude like MW2.

Thanks for the explanation though.

alba said:
They still ruined Counter-Strike with source :)

Apart from CS source still play better than the majority of FPS out there ;) I'm also not getting why people are bitching about the 1.6 community; if you found a decent enough server (and they weren't hard to find) then you could have a great online experience. Hell outside of when I've played with friends I'd say that the best online sessions I've had have been on 1.6 servers.

LowParry

I'll wait and see how things pan out with this IW.net aspect. If it's shit, I'll just use my pre order money on some DS games.

LowParry

_leech_ said:
Considering the game's going to be released in less than a month, I doubt this will have any impact.

True that. Although if it gets the attention, they could implement it later. If there is promise of that, I'd pick up the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
cjelly said:

Wait, why won't people pirate this one? If anything, this will be one of the most pirates games in existence considering how they have raised the price and gimped the multiplayer for PC gamers.

I put little faith in internet petitions, but I see no reason why anyone could cave in and buy the game this time around. I mean the Left 4 Dead 2 petition was bullshit. This time around it is Activision removing an integral feature of PC shooters only so they can gank people on DLC maps on top of charging a higher price.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this game gets pirated to hell and people figure out a way to modify the game files to allow people to host unofficial servers. Either way, this probably signals the end of the Call of Duty series on PC. It's too bad because I really enjoyed CoD4 multiplayer and will probably keep playing it for a while.

Top Bottom