• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loved Bloodborne, so what should i play next Nioh or DS3?

People keep saying Nioh is only good at combat are being dismissive at best.

Nioh is by far the least obtuse of the Souls type game in relation to how much the game is asking you to do. The game has an extensive, optional tutorial that properly explains the mechanics to you.

The quality of life improvements on Nioh beats out any of the Souls games...

...you also have a pause option lol

None of that makes a game better.

To me, making the objective more obvious is actually a bad thing, not a good thing, it's probably why I fell in love with Souls games to be honest.

Mystery is good for us Souls fans, probably not for Persona fans like you.

Another vote for DS3. As others have noted, it is certainly more obtuse than Nioh. But besides that, it does everything better, including the combat. I absolutely love playing with a shield and miss it every time I jump back in to Bloodborne or Nioh.

grmlin

BB was my first Souls game. I love it and it's one of the best gaming experiences I had in my life.

I bought DS3 later, and it's amazing, too. Old hardcore DS1/2 players often complain how it is more like BB, maybe thats why I liked it so much. First game I ever got the platin.

Now I'm playing Nioh, and I think I like it. Its really different though. Get DS3 first :)

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I've never played a Dark Souls game. The slow deliberate movement doesn't seem appealing to me, and after playing bloodborne i've always thoughts if i picked up a souls game i would go in all guns blazing, like how i play bloodborne. This might not be the right way to play?

Fast-rolling, quick-attacking builds have always been a more-than-viable option in Souls. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you're forced to use a shield or equip heavy armor or wield a slow greatsword.

IvorB

I liked Nioh way more, but I know I'm in the minority.

Sounds like Souls 3 is what you're looking for.

I prefer Nioh to Souls too. The gameplay is just too sublime. Honestly, just looking at trailers for Dark Souls 3 gave me fatigue. Same old medieval castles, same-y type enemies hiding around the corners and, oh look, there's a dragon on a bridge! What a surprise.

While enemy variety was certainly an issue in Nioh, I don't really get people complaining about art direction since the new Japanese locales were generally great. The art may not be Bloodborne levels of brilliance but certainly good/great by any reasonable standard.

I would have said DS3 as i platinumed both BB/DS3..... That being said, After all the patches i would have to say Nioh now, Extremely well balanced, Way more variety build wise and faster gameplay if your into that aspect.

Saying that, DS3 borrowed alot from BB in environment design, Weapon art etc.

usp84

Dark Souls 3 definitely.

I love both games but Nioh is a different game than Souls games.

Play Nioh right after though.Great game

Aomber

Dark Souls 3. Nioh is a great game, but as far as combat goes it's pretty different from the Souls series, it's more like Ninja Gaiden or something like that.

Neo-Ryudo

Nioh without a doubt, i would wait a few more day's till the PC version is out.

Loved Bloodborne, Hated DS3 then again i don't like any DS games, Nioh though is a master piece.

Zaventem

Nioh is pretty good, i dislike the minor amount of enemies and the constant reuse of levels though. If you like BB you'll enjoy it. It's also Team Ninja's first game in that "genre" if you want to call it that, so you can spot things you wish were done better but it's still a 8 -9/10 game for me. The setting is also amazing.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'm like the biggest Souls fan on the planet, and while I've NG+'d Ds3 several times, and never actually beat Nioh, I'd still recommend it. I think I'm finally feeling the Souls fatigue and Nioh's gameplay is fucking fantastic.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
First, play Old Hunters. Like dude come on. You think Bloodborne is the greatest game ever, and you haven't played its delicious expansion?? Get on that. :)

100%, it's one of the reasons i love bloodborne as much as i do
Dark Souls 3 it is, then. Nioh's combat is more fast-paced and you will probably love it... but its level design, while competent, isn't as great as Soulsborne games, and the lack of enemy variety is its biggest flaw. Story is also very throwaway. I think the atmosphere is still present in Nioh, though again, not on the level as Soulsborne games.

The Surge.

I'm serious.
Shit no. The slow-ass combat will bore him to death, as will the bland world, bland enemies, bland weapons, bland everything.

Tactics18

If you plan to play them both then play Nioh and then Dark Souls III.
If it's either then go for DS3, it's got some great classic 'Souls' moments to it.
Nioh's world building is pretty much nonexistent if that's important for you.
Also make sure you get the DLC for DS3.

Nioh has a great story (if you love historical fiction), wonderful levels, great boss fights, better combat, a great season pass, and will most likely be receiving more DLC next year I imagine whereas DS is dead for now.

Enemy variety isn't too great but that isn't too much of a problem as it allows the player to play around with the mechanics. Like in fighting games, there's a million and one ways to take down a Ryu etc. Season pass brings in a lot of new enemies as well.

Also it is hard to play BB after playing Nioh in 60fps. World of difference

Wollan

Nioh is a really excellent Souls imitator.

Souls outclasses it in most aspects but Nioh does focus on Japanese mythology which sets them apart and that 60fps goes a long way.

ChrisD

DS3 is great, and can definitely be played relatively well in a Bloodborne mindset. Keep your Equipment load low/medium (think it's below 70%) to let your dude actually roll, though.

When I first played it on Black Friday I sort of hated it. Came back months later and realized I hated it because my armor weight was too high, and playing with shields to make up for the fact sucked. I dropped the shield entirely, wore stuff that was lighter, and immediately got pulled in. Beat the whole game in a week haha.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nioh has a great story (if you love historical fiction), wonderful levels, great boss fights, better combat, a great season pass, and will most likely be receiving more DLC next year I imagine whereas DS is dead for now.
What? Tales from your ass.
The season pass covered all 3 planned story DLCs, and nothing else has been announced.

Season pass brings in a lot of new enemies as well.
Not that many, unfortunately.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
DS3. Nioh is junk. Every game that has ever been compared to Dark Souls/Bloodborne just hasn't gripped be like Soulsborne did.

all you need is DS1/2/3 + BB. my favourite is bloodborne so just stick to that. it never gets old.

ApharmdX

Banned
Seeing that DS3 is only £19.99 i've made my decision and i'm going to go with that.

This is a good choice, but I recommend buying the season pass with Ashes of Ariandel and The Ringed City. Dark Souls 3 is a significantly worse game than Bloodborne without those expansions. Ashes isn't great, but it does add interesting weapons and spells, and can be finished very quickly. The Ringed City, on the other hand, is a great challenging mix of hard bosses and sprawling levels. It is a really good conclusion to the Souls series.

If you end DS3 on its base game final stage and bosses, I think you will be disappointed.

I beat both and they are 2 different games and I loved both.

Dark Souls 3 is probably better to play right after playing Bloodborne because they are similar.

Nioh is a different beast all together. I feel like Nioh, was a rough draft of something really special. It did so much right, but at the same time it didn't have the polish of a Dark Souls. Although you are comparing the 5th game from From in that genre vs the 1st game from Team Ninja in that Genre.

Play both, but play DS3 1st like I did.

Gamegeneral

I've played Bloodborne and Dark souls 1-3, but I couldn't get into Nioh. I found the stance switching to be too much for me.

mebizzle

Dark Souls III and Nioh are both excellent. Nioh varies a little on the structure though, it is a mashup of the Souls style combat and a little of the mystique with a lot of the framing of something like Diablo. I highly recommend both.

gfxtwin

An argument can definitely be made that Soulsborne games have better level design than Nioh though, and possibly a bit more challenging, but if a combat system is what you're looking for the consensus seems to be that Nioh's is more refined.

Necron

I've played Bloodborne and Dark souls 1-3, but I couldn't get into Nioh. I found the stance switching to be too much for me.

Glad I'm not the only one. Couldn't get into Nioh. Played all the Souls games and Bloodborne as well.

Play Dark Souls 3 and The Old Hunters DLC, OP.

Psxdad

the world building is pretty key to me.

From what i'm reading it sounds like Dark souls 3 is going to be the game for me. You're all going to think i'm crazy fro saying this but I've never played the old hunters :(

Play Old Hunters. The lore contained is amazing, as are the bosses and settings. It is quite a bit tougher than the main game though.

Top Bottom