• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loved Bloodborne, so what should i play next Nioh or DS3?

Let me start this thread by saying that I think Bloodborne is the greatest game I've ever played. I've spoken before on this forum about how much i adore that game. I have just given it to a buddy of mine in work and just talking about it with him is giving me the itch to play something like that again.

I've never played a Dark Souls game. The slow deliberate movement doesn't seem appealing to me, and after playing bloodborne i've always thoughts if i picked up a souls game i would go in all guns blazing, like how i play bloodborne. This might not be the right way to play?

Nioh on the other hand seems to offer a similar challenge and the combat seems to be more akin to bloodborne than the souls game. The speed and the aggressiveness of Nioh looks super appealing to me.

So which should i get. I can only play one right now so please no one post the why not both gif.

Probably DS3. Mind you I love BB to death and it was my first soulsborne. I had trouble in DS3 because I came from bloodborne so why would I use a shield lol I simply dodge everything but... it doesnt work that well lol

Nioh is... different. Gameplay is more demanding, arguably better because it can offer more variety and depth, but everything else is weaker than Soulsborne.

If you want agressive, ultra technical gameplay, go for Nioh.

If you want more Soulsborne, go for DS3

Maxey

DS3 is the fastest paced in the Dark Souls series and should give you a good transition from BB to the DS series.

Never played Nioh.

Dark Souls 3 is probably the fastest of the trilogy, and it's closer in speed to Bloodborne than Nioh is.

I thought Nioh was a little too frustrating and I never finished it.

Opa-Pa

You could make an argument for either, kinda.

I prefer DS3 myself, but just don't really expect anything too similar to Bloodborne, especially For Nioh.

Tricky one, although I think Dark Souls 3 takes it. You can easily play without a shield and go light armour and speedy, plus it has the worldbuilding and structure that is still as intriguing as it always was.

I do love Nioh though, some of the one on one fights with the human enemies are really intense and among the most satisfying experiences I've had with games this year.

CHC

Dark Souls III. Nioh doesn't have the series' hallmark cryptic narrative or heavily interconnected world design, which I think are both really integral parts of Bloodborne.

HenryEen

Banned
I think it depends on what you love about Bloodborne ? I haven't played Nioh, but it seems the general consensus is Nioh have arguably better (and similarly faster) combat but lacking in story/atmosphere/level design compared to Souls.

Dark Souls 3 is slower than BB, but faster than Dark Souls 1. From my experience in DS3, I use a mix of blocking and dodging (mostly dodging, holding weapon with two hand increase damage and boss attack easily drains stamina when blocking) compared to full turtling in DS1.

Käebi

I can't really speak for Nioh since I didn't play it. But I came here wanting to suggest Nioh, because Bloodborne is my favorite game ever but I can't get into DS3. That is because I'm burnt out on the Souls formula, having played DS1+2, Bloodborne was too good of a new concept.

Since you never played a Dark Souls before, and DS3 can be played much faster than its DS1+2, my vote goes to Dark Souls 3.

If you want to play a good game play DS3. If you want to play a repetitive game with a story that is beyond worthless and the only reason to play are bosses play Nioh.

ExoSoul

Banned
Game structure - Darks Souls

Fast action combat - Nioh

Both lack in the other department. Combat in Dark Souls is slower and punishes aggressiveness.
While Nioh has some semblance with Bloodborne with shortcuts available for discovery the story is happening along your progression and your character has a pivotal role in it while BB/DS the story has happened and for the most part you're figuring what it was that happened and your character ends up being someone significant in the world but starts out as fodder.

w0s

DS3. Well really I would do what I did and loved it. I would play through DS1-3. DS1 wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it would be because you can just learn to parry everything. Then I switched to magic for DS2 just for a change up and then played DS3. DS3 is closer to bloodborne in pace but DS1 and DS2 still hold up well IMO.

Also whoever says DS2 isn't as good just remember isn't as good still makes it better than 98% of the games out there.

I liked Nioh better but DS3 is fairly close to Bloodborne in terms of mechanics of course, so it's a pretty safe bet. And since you seem to prioritize atmosphere, DS3 is certainly the better choice. Nioh is a gameplay behemoth that trumps all Souls games in terms of pure fun and mechanics in my opinion but it falls a bit short on most other things compared to FROM's games.

Op, I was in the same situation as you, only played a couple of hours of Demon's Souls, but Bloodborne was the first game I truly played (and I think it's one of the best games on PS4 if not the best).

After that I played Dark Souls III, the game is really fantastic but coming from Bloodborne and being your first experience with the style is kind of a disappointment or more like... it feels like the gameplay is not as good (probably is but if you try to play it as Bloodborne it's like adding it a new difficult mode).

I played the whole game with two swords, one in each hand, and did the best impression of Bloodborne I could and it mostly worked well. The game is a bit slower but not that much. Even if it's not the same the magic is there.

Also played Nioh, is a steap below both games but it's still a great game, just too long a repetitive and the story is quite bad but gameplay is fantastic and really fun to play. Is way more fast than Bloodborne.

If you're solely interested in the combat, Nioh would be the most fitting to your fast-paced combat preferences. You can also probably go aggressive in DS3 though, but that's not my playstyle so I can't comment on that.

However, when it comes to world-building and area structures, Nioh is very different. In Nioh, you choose your next missions/stages on a world map instead of traveling everywhere by foot like in Bloodborne.

IvorB

If you're gonna get Nioh expecting another Souls game and then complain that it isn't one, get Dark Souls.

However, if you want to play an excellent game that has some similar elements to Souls but superior combat and a vastly different approach to stages/levels and loot then Nioh may be for you. Also the western medieval fantasy of Dark Souls is very last season so the Japanese mythology-inspired settings of Nioh are another plus.

Fbh

Depends.

Did you like Bloodborne purely from a gameplay perspective?
Then Nioh since the combat is even better.

Did you also like it because of the world, lore, art direction, etc?
Then Dark Souls 3 since, IMO, it does everything except combat better than Nioh

Depends.

Yes, though there's more shit you can do in Nioh's combat. I'm not necessarily sure that also makes it better.

Depends.

the world building is pretty key to me.

From what i'm reading it sounds like Dark souls 3 is going to be the game for me. You're all going to think i'm crazy fro saying this but I've never played the old hunters :(

You should take a short break from the "series" tbh.

Yes, that is good advice. The game's are beyond awesome but you are bound to burnout of them if you binge the series. In fact, having annual releases for three years straight was somewhat harmful to my (and many others') enjoyment of Souls games, given how many people complained about fatigue after DS3. Granted, DS3 happened to be a very, very conservative sequel.

Ferr986

Played both, Dark Souls 3 is closer than Bloodborne. Dark Souls 3 has been sped up compared to the older entries, putting it closer to Bloodborne. It's basically medieval Bloodborne.

100%, it's one of the reasons i love bloodborne as much as i do

Dark Souls is it. Nioh lacks in that regards compared to Dark Souls. (You should still play Nioh latter for that combat).

Yes, though there's more shit you can do in Nioh's combat. I'm not necessarily sure that also makes it better.

The variety and open options does make it more fun. I would still argue that the stance system makes your approach to battles more diverse than Dark Souls traditional one (wait for animation, roll, block and then hit). In Nioh you can if you are good, toggle between hitting and dodging an instant and not be reliant on waiting for the enemy to always finish his move or animation.

The fact that you can reset your stats and fix your build at any time without resorting to restarting the game over again is a bonus.

Now that the game is releasing an edition with all the DLC I think it is a no brainer. Nioh is always fun to play despite shortcomings and it is very easy to be burned on Dark Souls. I have been playing Dark Souls 1 after Bloodborne and Nioh is a fresh breath of air after Dark Souls.

Strings

I liked Nioh a fair bit, but I'd still say Dark Souls 3 does everything better. Yes, even combat (William can do a fuck-ton, but enemies have way smaller movesets than their Souls counterparts, so there's never a reason to do all that extra shit other than feeling fancy).

Also, Nioh and its three DLCs have burnt me out faster than the entire Souls franchise >.>

Wink

I'm more burned out on Nioh than on anything Souls. It's a much more grindy game that does not deliver on many of the defining aspects I'd ascribe to Bloodborne. It's still fun and you should check it out some day.
So definitely Dark Souls 3 and definitely (if you feel like it) right now. You surely won't need a break if you have the itch to play with the formula some more. I found the combat feel improved, movement is much smoother than in the PS3 games.

Dark_castle

I liked Nioh way more, but I know I'm in the minority.

Sounds like Souls 3 is what you're looking for.

I liked Nioh way more too. It's so much more fun in gameplay, and for me I'm not really bothered by the lack of enemy variety. The setting is also more fresh and interesting than DS3 which is essentially more of what was in DS1 and DS2.

From what i'm reading it sounds like Dark souls 3 is going to be the game for me. You're all going to think i'm crazy fro saying this but I've never played the old hunters :(

In that case, I would highly suggest getting the expansion first! It's incredible.

KodaRuss

I would probably say Dark Souls 3. They are both pretty good. I really loved Nioh but the encounters just got repetitive.

Dark Souls is the obvious answer for you then. Nioh has great combat and is fun to play. But lacks depth in exploration, environments and story. There's never that moment where you walk into an area and go "Oh wow, I have to learn about this place" or "What hell did I just walk into" etc. It was actually one of my biggest gripes about Nioh. It really doesn't facilitate or promote exploration and lore.

Peroroncino

If combat is what you liked the most about BB then definitely Nioh, it offers the best combat made in an action rpg ever.

People keep saying Nioh is only good at combat are being dismissive at best.

Nioh is by far the least obtuse of the Souls type game in relation to how much the game is asking you to do. The game has an extensive, optional tutorial that properly explains the mechanics to you.

The quality of life improvements on Nioh beats out any of the Souls games...

...you also have a pause option lol

Sizzel

Souls fan and BB xoxo'er here -DS3 by a country mile. Nioh is what you play when you are jonesing for FROM and are out of options/don't want to replay souls games anymore.

Play Nioh, but not before DS3 in any universe sans the one that you are in love with the book "Shogun", The movie "The Last Samurai", or just a die hard fan of japanese culture.

DS3 is very Bloodborne relative DS1/2

Top Bottom