• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voodoo Vince Remastered (XB1/PC, Early 2017)

Trago

There are plenty of OG Xbox games that need to get the remaster treatment. Thank goodness they're doing this game and not Blinx lol.

Mechazawa

If Phil Spencer wasn't completely upfront about his overt nostalgia involved with that game, this would be the most left-field shit ever.

It still kinda is regardless.

Maximo

Brute Force Remastered up next boyz

Brute-Force-Cheats-and-Unlockables-Xbox-2.jpg

Holy shit YES.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I really can't believe Voodoo Vince is making it back before any of the Sega exclusives on that system.

Sydle

Holy shit at the number of folks questioning why this is getting remastered. The article details how the original creator now works at MS and pitched the idea.

This wasn't Phil plucking it out of the OG Xbox lineup or some random selection.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I remember it being ok for it's time. These days? I don't see it holding up. And by remaster I hope they really mean remake.

Anarky

Banned
I really can't believe Voodoo Vince is making it back before any of the Sega exclusives on that system.

I know right? this is literally the last game I expected to get a remaster before most of the other more notable Xbox classics like JSRF or Ninja Gaiden Black.

Salty Hippo

I know right? this is literally the last game I expected to get a remaster before most of the other more notable Xbox classics like JSRF or Ninja Gaiden Black.

Voodoo Vince is owned by Microsoft. Way easier than remastering a third party IP.

Phil is a good dude, this game was great. I hope between this and Phantom Dust that's a sign that a decent amount of original Xbox games are being looked at. Would love to get Crimson Skies and Blood Wake back into my life.

Castef

Banned
it was a very nice game which followed Crash Bandicoot gameplay-wise, with the addition of free-roaming areas.

Loved the level design actually, it had interesting solutions.

Also, the overall style and humor were spot-on.

As usual for a Xbox game, it gained way more complains than it deserved, it is a nice platformer. Can't wait to see how it is remastered.

Cool, Blinx was better though :p

I wish MS would go all the way and do some 'Xbox Classics' collections, with half a dozen games in each pack from the various genres.

Flavius

I have such great memories of playing this game...the music, the quirky character designs, VV's deadpan delivery, the soundtrack, level design, did I mention the soundtrack?

Awesome surprise announcement! Guaranteed "buy" for me!

Teaser Trailer:

https://youtu.be/9OtFN1a4Jro

Screenshots and promotional images:

Oddly enough, I ended up at Microsoft Studios working as a Creative Director in first party publishing. I’ve worked on all sorts of exciting things, from console to Kinect and HoloLens games. I love my job, but I never forgot about my little burlap pal. I also continued working on assorted side projects through my independent studio Beep Games, Inc. A couple years ago I started thinking about updating and re-launching Voodoo Vince myself. My colleagues at Microsoft were really supportive of the idea. We all agreed that the ID@Xbox program is the perfect venue for the game. A small team and I have been quietly working on Voodoo Vince: Remastered for a few months now, and I’m announcing today that it’ll be out for Xbox One and Windows 10 in early 2017.

What’s in the new version? It’s wide screen now, of course, in glorious 1080p and running at 60fps. The rendering engine is being rewritten from the ground up with lots of crisp new textures and rendering effects. Xbox Live was still a twinkle in Microsoft’s eye when VV launched, so we’ve got profiles and achievements. We never finished hooking up rumble in the original game, so yay: We have vibrate-y goodness. The gameplay is mostly untouched, though. That was important to me. Vince moves, animates, and controls exactly like he did in 2003. You can just see a lot more detail in his world when he moves through our twisted version of New Orleans and the Bay

Key points

Classic puzzle platforming gameplay that has been preserved exactly as it was in the original
High definition visuals at: 1080p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio and updated rendering with better visual effects
60 fps gameplay
Select soundtrack updates and remixes by the game’s original composer, Steve Kirk
Xbox LIVE integration and achievements
Rumble/haptic feedback

Official press release on Xbox Wire and more: https://news.xbox.com/2016/10/05/voodoo-vince-remastered-xbox-one-early-2017/

Screenshots source: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/voodoo-vince-remastered-announced-coming-to-windows-10-in-early-2017/

Hopefully this means that we will see more Original Xbox games appearing on PC and Xbox One, I would love to play some games like Crimson Skies, Brute Force, Jade Empire, Blinx, Kotor etc

Send me to the original Xbox days if old

ThaPhantom

This came out of left field. Game is actually really fun. I remember playing it back in the day but never picked it up. I would play this.

Source

So, I'm guilty of being someone who played the demo for this game and loved it, but then never bought the actual game. I might finally pick it up this time around for PC.

Parsnip

So I guess Beep owns Voodoo Vince now? Quickly glancing at trademarks for it, they all appear to be dead. MS either abandoned or canceled all of them.

Makes sense considering the Steam greenlight too. If MS still owned it surely they would be publishing it as well and they certainly wouldn't need to go through Steam greenlight.

Top Bottom