• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 vs XB1

If you use a Nvidia card, half-refresh V-sync in nVidia inspector and a 30 FPS limit in RTSS usually give a good result.
No way to do it in game? Options there, but it won't let me change it. Tried full screen, exclusive, windowed, v-sync off, and still grayed out. First time I've seen this.

Behlel

Yeah there was a surprise 360 image in there that had better AF.
I should have seen that because it had horrible aliassing but i thought it would be just PS4 vs XboxONe screens. My bad.

XboxOne and PS4 have the same AA and AF.
Nope X1 have worst AA, listen the video.

Nope X1 have worst AA, listen the video.

????
I am pretty sure the video highlights the fact that AA between console versions, minus 360 version, is the exact same.

edit: not even 1 minute into the video John already talks about the AA being the same

pottuvoi

Banned
Remember how ND detailed how they induced 1 frame of latency to make TLOU 60 fps on PS4? I wonder if a multithreading set up is similar in this game on the jaguar to make it reach 30 fps on xb1 and ps4.. hence the increased input latency on those machines vs. PC and xb360 @ 30hz.
Yup, thought the same.

antyk

????
I am pretty sure the video highlights the fact that AA between console versions, minus 360 version, is the exact same.

edit: not even 1 minute into the video John already talks about the AA being the same

I think he might have meant higher - on PS4 - specular reflections setting, which alleviates shader aliasing on thin geometry as discussed from 2:45 in the video?

napata

No way to do it in game? Options there, but it won't let me change it. Tried full screen, exclusive, windowed, v-sync off, and still grayed out. First time I've seen this.

You wouldn't want to do it ingame anyway. 4 out of 5 times it feels way worse than the RTSS method.

Revan

I loved the reboot and want to try this but I keep seeing input lag comments.

Just exactly how bad is it?

I don't have an issue playing the 360 version but I'd rather it on PS4 for obv. reasons.

Is the lag that detrimental to the gameplay?

ethomaz

Banned

I don't have an issue playing the 360 version but I'd rather it on PS4 for obv. reasons.

eeMVzXq.gif

Apathy

It's been a year, how did they not fix the biggest issue people on the Xbox one complained about for the ps4 release

CyberChulo

How does one go about locking the pc version to 30fps? Mine won't let me change it from 60. It's literally grayed out. Wanted to test out the lag. Is it because of display port?

I did it using RivaTuner. Just type in 30 and it start working automatically. I can confirm that on PC there is no lag issue when running at 30fps. Nixxes gotta fix this shit.

CyberChulo

There is none. Been playing on both extreme survivor & survivor. Haven't noticed any lag. Maybe it was their build?

Bro. Trust me. The lag is clear as daylight. Just for fun I connected my computer and ran ROTTR at 60fps and capped at 30fps. No lag on PC in either mode. Night and day difference between the PC and PS4 versions.

viHuGi

Banned
Will play this weekend, game looks absolutely stellar.

Looks like this game uses FXAA across all versions (?) Man they need TAA asap.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For the lag in the PC version, I wonder if it matters which GPU (nvidia or ati) you're using. Maybe it's an ATI driver thing. Or perhaps, the lag won't be there if you have a beastly PC capable of running this game at 60+FPS but capping it at 30. If someone is trying to check this in a most like for like scenario on PC, they should try on a configuration similar to PS4. Like that config DF was using for a budget PC testing.

????

XB1 version still has more alisasing in places due to a lower quality specular reflection quality implementation. He shows it later. That's probably what the poster you were replying to was talking about.

XB1 version still has more alisasing in places due to a lower quality specular reflection quality implementation. He shows it later. That's probably what the poster you were replying to was talking about.

He was talking about AA.
Unless he made the same mistake as i did and though the 360 version was the XboxOne version in that one screen.
Or maybe he was talking about that... but then he should have specified it.

Excellent video analysis dark10x as always.

It seems a good port on the graphical part.

The control thing remind me the GTA V remastered deadzone issue that the game had when it launched.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Expecting the controls to match industry norms is anal. Got it.

Way to get defensive when it was your shitpost that downplayed the concerns of those that are able to notice and do care.

You were right and I was wrong :(

If I notice it, it's bad and boy is it bad. Sorry for being so blunt last night.

It's not input lag. The issue is a noticeable dead zone before Lara will actually move or aim. I've had to fight with it while using the pistol or bow, making headshots more difficult than they need to be. You get used to it, but still, it shouldn't be there.

The game looks gorgeous, and traversing the Siberian terrain has been very responsive and fluid so far. The challenge tombs are a huge improvement compared to the ones in TR 13. Do yourself a favor and switch off survivor's instinct. Makes exploration so much more enjoyable, as your eyes aren't assaulted with highlighted objects that detract you from enjoying the beautiful vistas.

Been rocking the TR 3 Antarctica outfit, which is definitely my favorite one out of the bunch so far. Pure nostalgia and the orange jacket and camouflaged pants provides a nice contrast to the icy terrain.

All in all, aside from the dead zone nuisance, I've been loving the game so far. Great port, Nixxes!

FX-GMC

It's not input lag. The issue is a noticeable dead zone before Lara will actually move or aim. I've had to fight with it while using the pistol or bow, making headshots more difficult than they need to be. You get used to it, but still, it shouldn't be there.

The game looks gorgeous, and traversing the Siberian terrain has been very responsive and fluid so far. The challenge tombs are a huge improvement compared to the ones in TR 13. Do yourself a favor and switch off survivor's instinct. Makes exploration so much more enjoyable, as your eyes aren't assaulted with highlighted objects that detract you from enjoying the beautiful vistas.

Been rocking the TR 3 Antarctica outfit, which is definitely my favorite one out of the bunch so far. Pure nostalgia and the orange jacket and camouflaged pants provides a nice contrast to the icy terrain.

All in all, aside from the dead zone nuisance, I've been loving the game so far. Great port, Nixxes!

Watch the slow mo video again. There is lag after the stick is released, before movement occurs. That is input lag.

360: Move stick to right and center >>> Camera Moves
One/PS4: Move stick to right and center >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Camera Moves

Rippa

Looks like I'll wait I little while longer to finally play this. Black Friday deals plus pro patch on a 1080p TV will be the best bet. Hopefully they patch in a fix for that input lag.

ethomaz

Banned

There is input lag... the dead zone is another issue that I don't know if it exists on PS4 (needs to check but I won't buy the game in this shame state).

Watch the slow mo video again. There is lag after the stick is released, before movement occurs. That is input lag.

360: Move stick to right and center >>> Camera Moves
One/PS4: Move stick to right and center >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Camera Moves

I haven't noticed it while making gross movements on the thumbsticks, only the dead zone when trying to make subtle adjustments while aiming at something. I'll have to check it when I get home. Sorry for misinformation, all!

FZW

Its not. Played and finished the game on XB1 and enjoyed it, currently working on the DLC.

JP

Did the original release ever get fixed in the year since it was launched?

I've played games before where people have complained about issues with the controller like this but I've played those games and I've been OK with them but this game has really been an issue for me. I was going to do it anyway to get the improvements but I'm really hoping that the Pro version doesn't have the same controller issues.

Lt.Chips

OK, just played TR:DE immediately after playing ROTTR (both on the PS4) and I can confirm the difference in input lag is night and day, especially during combat.

In TR:DE I can move the the reticle precisely where I want when I want, and can consistently pull of headshots after headshots in the heat of combat. In ROTTR, this snappiness is nowhere to be found.

TR:DE the response I get from my input is very snappy and quick, whereas ROTTR everything feels sluggish. Perhaps this contrast is exaggerated by the fact that I played them back to back, but there is no doubt ROTTR's input delay is much worse than TR:DE.

Gator86

These guys aren't idiots - I'm sure there must be a technical reason for it. It sucks, but it could be an issue with the way the engine works on these consoles.

I feel like disastrous input lag is a solid reason to maybe not use that engine then.

I'll hold this one.

The reboot was a sucess and I bought with -50% in one month. It will happen as well since the X1 version is around 15-20U$.

Nixxes did an amazing jog fixing the motion blur and missing shadows, not to mention the rock solid 30 fps.

Sadly the poor job with the engine and the lack of patches from Crystal Dynamics makes the X1 and PS4 version feel terrible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is the input lag/deadzone only on the right stick? I can't sense any kind of extra delay in movement. Tested it out quite a bit last night.

Honestly the dead zone is the issue more so than any kind of lag.

Ahasverus

That's my biggest take away from all this. Amazing how they managed to squeeze that out of a machine from 2005.
The best part is that they actually sent out a patch like 2 months after release that made it look better adding more effects and vegetation and stuff. Nixxes are the best in the business for optimization, that I don't doubt a little bit.

SURGEdude

I don't understand one thing, People here were saying it has better Gameplay/Gunplay than UC4 all year long, Looking at recent issues of input lag and deadzone , its not seems to be the case. What happened? was all that for console war bullshit?

I havn't played Rise on PC still , looking forward to it in future.

To be fair if they played it on PC or 360 they have a defensible opinion.

Sony

Nintendo
This might be a silly question, but what are the odds of ROTR becoming back-compat on Xbox One? I'd concider that if I were Square Enix. That would be the version I'd buy. It's cheaper and input-lag is a huge deal breaker for me.

Gitaroo

Hyperbole, or did you mistakenly think the Xbox 360 shot was X1?

high res specular also mean less shaders aliasing, which will make the overall iq looks cleaner. People are confused between actual jaggy and shaders aliasing, but still a valid complain.

Top Bottom