• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Nintendo Switch has been taken apart

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yea for PS5 we shouldn't expect anything more advanced than what AMD can offer right now, because Sony has for sure started planning out the thing.

I think that as usual semi-custom designs will sit between what AMD has now and what they want to ship next, essentially using the money form Sony and MS to finance their R&D too, with the addition of specific customer enhancements (see PS4 changes Sony requested for the GPU). So, no it will likely not simply be what AMD has now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nvidia just announced the X2. Nintendo wouldn't have been to produce enough (any) consoles for a March release.

At some point it only gets silly with the customized nonsense.

Like Sony and MS getting some features that AMD would not ship until well after Xbox One and PS4 came out? Imagine if Xbox One could not have gotten even ESRAM in and had to rely only on the external DDR4...

Semi custom designs all come down to how much is the console manufacturer willing to pay for them and this cost is also related to what the semi custom vendor has in the pipeline or can scale up. Sure the problem could be that some people are never happy with what Nintendo provides, but also that other people have such a low bar/feel bad about seeming ingrate to Nintendo that anything they make is good by virtue of coming from them...

gundalf

I predict that it will be a normal X1 with maybe some slight modifications, after all we haven't heard of any noteworthy investments by Nintendo to Nvidia.

I have a feeling they didn't want to say anything until the GTX 1080ti got into more people's hands.

Imagine the shitstorm when people realize the switch has a top of the line 1080ti gpu for a mere $300!

Also the new firmware update soon™ unlocks this power.

#followmeontwitter #donatebutton

Thraktor

I predict that it will be a normal X1 with maybe some slight modifications, after all we haven't heard of any noteworthy investments by Nintendo to Nvidia.

That's not really true. These things are usually hidden in R&D spending, but in Nvidia's Q3 results call they said that Nintendo contributed "a fair amount" to a $463 million bump in gaming division revenues that quarter. Granted we don't know exactly how much "a fair amount" is, or whether it's for hardware or R&D, but there's certainly a decent amount of money changing hands from Nintendo to Nvidia.

Hermii

I think that as usual semi-custom designs will sit between what AMD has now and what they want to ship next, essentially using the money form Sony and MS to finance their R&D too, with the addition of specific customer enhancements (see PS4 changes Sony requested for the GPU). So, no it will likely not simply be what AMD has now.

Yea I agree with this. My post was poorly worded sarcasm aimed at those who are saying anything more advanced than a standard TX1 was an unrealistic expectation, because that was the best thing available when Nintendo started planning the Switch.

Like Sony and MS getting some features that AMD would not ship until well after Xbox One and PS4 came out? Imagine if Xbox One could not have gotten even ESRAM in and had to rely only on the external DDR4...

Semi custom designs all come down to how much is the console manufacturer willing to pay for them and this cost is also related to what the semi custom vendor has in the pipeline or can scale up. Sure the problem could be that some people are never happy with what Nintendo provides, but also that other people have such a low bar/feel bad about seeming ingrate to Nintendo that anything they make is good by virtue of coming from them...

Not really the same. AMD wad in charge of designing specific APU solutions for Sony and Microsoft. Tegra is a off the shelf hardware solution for mobile devices.

Hermii

Not really the same. AMD wad in charge of designing specific APU solutions for Sony and Microsoft. Tegra is a off the shelf hardware solution for mobile devices.
Tegra is just Nvidias mobile line of chips, a customized tegra can in theory be just as custom as a semicustom amd apu.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I was not accusing Nintendo of just getting an off the shelf solution instead of paying NVIDIA to do more customisations, how dare you besmirch Nintendo, how dare you sir indeed ;)?

It really is the same or could be... Nintendo has the keys of the kingdom... it is their choice to get a supplier or the other, it is their choice whether they get their HW partner to give them freedom in designing their semi-custom SoC or just minor modifications to an off the shelf solution. I am not sure what point you are trying to make here...

It is pretty clear this thing isn't as powerful as the 8th gen twins, and divulging specs would only serve to draw in comparisons, which are unfavourable for them. They obviously want to keep the focus on its hybrid nature, and therefore won't tell us about the specs. Seems very logical to me.

Even if we can find out the approximately specs from stuff like this, it still won't get nearly as much exposure as when Nintendo tell us about them.
Regardless if they(Nintendo) release specs or not, comparisons will still be made with 3rd party multiplatforms. They already have with at least 3 games(snake pass, I am setsuna, and dragon quest).

Regardless if they(Nintendo) release specs or not, comparisons will still be made with 3rd party multiplatforms. They already have with at least 3 games(snake pass, I am setsuna, and dragon quest).

Snake Pass is 1080p 30Hz on all systems, but we don't know how it stacks up visually/performance wise to the other two VCR-sized things. I am Setsuna got it's frame-rate halved in order to stay at 1080p (I honestly would go with an option to play at a lower resolution in favor of a full 60Hz experience, but I understand where the developers drew the line). Dragon's Quest so far seems to be a bad port with poor memory optimization.

Snake Pass is 1080p 30Hz on all systems, but we don't know how it stacks up visually/performance wise to the other two VCR-sized things. I am Setsuna got it's frame-rate halved in order to stay at 1080p (I honestly would go with an option to play at a lower resolution in favor of a full 60Hz experience, but I understand where the developers drew the line). Dragon's Quest so far seems to be a bad port with poor memory optimization.

Where did you get info that Snake Pass on PS4 is 30 fps? Reports from Mid February say PS4 is 60fps, while Switch is 30fps.

I was not accusing Nintendo of just getting an off the shelf solution instead of paying NVIDIA to do more customisations, how dare you besmirch Nintendo, how dare you sir indeed ;)?

It really is the same or could be... Nintendo has the keys of the kingdom... it is their choice to get a supplier or the other, it is their choice whether they get their HW partner to give them freedom in designing their semi-custom SoC or just minor modifications to an off the shelf solution. I am not sure what point you are trying to make here...

I don't know what your point is as well.

What could have Nintendo wanted to add into X1 without making it more expensive or delaying the release of the console? Based on the information we have we know that Nintendo doesn't even run the X1 at full theoretical capacities for practical reasons.

You mean 60 uncapped?

Thus quoth the PlayStation Blog:
Viewed on a 1080p monitor, Snake Pass will feature a whole host of performance improvements that make the game stand out so much more.

Never explicitly stated 60FPS. Usually means an unlocked frame rate that sits south of 60FPS (I'm looking at YOU, Tomb Raider PS4 port and Killzone: Shadow Fall multiplayer!)

Hermii

What could have Nintendo wanted to add into X1 without making it more expensive or delaying the release of the console? Based on the information we have we know that Nintendo doesn't even run the X1 at full theoretical capacities for practical reasons.
In theory they could have added features from tx2/ Parker like 16nmff/ double ram bandwidth etc. Traditionally a die shrink usually makes things cheaper. Sadly it looks like they haven't though.

At this point, are we just trying to determine if that SDK documentation leak is legit? Or are we trying to see how much the final hardware differs from said SDK?

At this point, are we just trying to determine if that SDK documentation leak is legit? Or are we trying to see how much the final hardware differs from said SDK?

Really don't think that SDK info from July is fake. Also, Eurogamer later doubled down on the SDK leak with a recent update to it saying Nintendo added a new clockspeed choice (at the same time lowering mem speed as a trade off). I really don't think there will be anything different, it's basically a downclocked TX1 to avoid randomness of throttling if left uncapped.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

How do you know it would have delayed the console or make it more expensive? You are basing quite a lot on the assumption that Nintendo must have done everything and all it could be done and nothing better could not be done with the current time constraints (rushed launch being a constraint here and a stroke of genius at once if necessary to defend that choice ;)).
For all we know, Nintendo just wanted a complete cheap solution they could just drop in and they were rushing to find a partner to iterate on the hybrid idea they were cooking with and kill the Wii U early enough.

Maybe Nintendo could have invested in a die shrink early on with NVIDIA and they may have pushed for bigger GPU on die cache to improve tiling efficiency or other features that naturally shipped with TX2 now or would ship later on desktop GPU's.

I do not blame Nintendo if they did prioritise maximising launch profits and minimising R&D risk (investments) as one of the pillars of the hybrid strategy.
They could have well said to NVIDIA "give me the cheapest thing you have that will not delay past X date with 200% certainty" and they may have gone to them very late in the process after discarding an internal design... who knows.

High frame rate on PS4 Pro if played at 1080p. Translation: They take off the 30FPS cap and let the game run between 35-50FPS but it never gets to 60 consistenly because the PS4's CPU is awful.
I believe you're misreading the statement. It's much more likely that Snake Pass will have 60fps target on both standard and Pro PS4, but will hold that better on the Pro at 1080p. That just makes more sense, given what Pro enhancements have generally been like.

I believe you're misreading the statement. It's much more likely that Snake Pass will have 60fps target on both standard and Pro PS4, but will hold that better on the Pro at 1080p. That just makes more sense, given what Pro enhancements have generally been like.

I know what you meant. The only console footage of the game that's running above 30FPS is a Polygon video being played on one of the two PS4 systems - they gave no indication on whether or not it was a base PS4 or a PS4 Pro and whether or not Boost Mode had been enabled on that system (playing the video at 1/4 speed shows that there are quite a few dropped frames; a sign that it's running well below 60FPS). The fact that all official promotional materials have been 30FPS has lead me to believe that the final game will have a 30FPS cap on most platforms (if your title runs at 60Hz, there's no reason not to upload 60FPS footage on YouTube).

LordOfChaos

I dont want to nag them, the explanation could be as simple as them prioritising work they actually get payed for.

A polite ETA request wouldn't be nagging and could take the edge off of people waiting every day for it, hah.

Only Chipworks/TI can save this thread now :p

Nvidia-T210-lrg.jpg

Interesting, I love how they say so little about it. I guess they're leaving it up to those geniuses here who can tell us what's actually happening in this image.

Hermii

Interesting, I love how they say so little about it. I guess they're leaving it up to those geniuses here who can tell us what's actually happening in this image.
They are saying they believe it's a stock tx1 basically. It's kinda interesting that the a53s are still there.

They are saying they believe it's a stock tx1 basically. It's kinda interesting that the a53s are still there.

This is all they say:

After subsequent processing of the GPU from the Nintendo Switch, we have determined that the processor is the Nvidia Tegra T210. The T210 CPU features 4 Cortex A57 and 4 Cortex A53 processor cores and the GPU is a GM20B Maxell core.

I'm just curious how they came to that conclusion. Did they have a TX1 die shot to compare it with?

Cuburt

Also residing in the right Joy-Con is another feature, the motion IR camera. This camera is an infrared CMOS image sensor that is used to detect object shape and distance and, according to Ars Technica and Nintendo, will be able to record full video in the future.
This is news to me.

Reading the source, perhaps they were confused about Nintendo's statement about the share button being able to record gameplay video in the future?

On this main PCB we found the expected NVIDIA ODNX02-A2 Tegra SoC as well as a Broadcom BCM4356 single-chip 5G Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11ac 2×2 MAC/baseband/radio with integrated Bluetooth 4.1, FM receiver, and wireless charging, a STMicroelectronics SH641 6-axis accelerometer and gyroscope ultra-low power MEMS inertial sensor, a Samsung K4F6E304HB-MGCH 16 Gb LPDDR4 SDRAM, and a Texas Instruments BQ24193 battery charger.
Huh, motion sensors on the main PCB confirmed. Could this be for VR future compatibility or tablet mode future compatibility? Because right now, handheld mode with the Joycon attached seems like they would do the motion sensing job by themselves and since they both have sensors, having additional sensors in the console seems overly redundant.

Also, wireless charging? Is that related to how the Joycon charge or is this wireless charging for the system itself?

Edit: Okay so this is interesting...I just tried placing my Switch on my wireless charging pad and it actually turns on, but it blinks blue and doesn't say on the Switch that it's charging so it doesn't seem to be charging (and I'm too scared to drain it right now and leave it on long enough to see if it works for fear of damaging the Switch) but it would seem like it really has wireless charging built in. I even detached the joycon and placed them down on it in various positions to see if they turn on the pad, but nothing.

Does this means Nintendo plans for a wireless charging accessory in the future? Surely, there must be some compatible wireless charging solutions now, right?

LordOfChaos

Restraining myself from post-shaming some of the more hyperbolic deniers of a standard configuration that popped up in the last page or two of waiting :p

I had set my expectations to a mostly standard TX1 ever since the 250 people working 2 years including the NVN API and OS integration news... That, as I've said many times, is nothing in the chipmaking world.

Top Bottom