• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements would you like to see in a switch revision

MultiCore

I'd be interested in a box that runs switch games at 4k60 for $200. Have zero interest in the portable side of it, and I think it compromises their position in the home console space.

I miss the Nintendo that made the SNES, 64 and Gamecube. Those were all powerhouse machines.

Dakhil

I'd be interested in a box that runs switch games at 4k60 for $200. Have zero interest in the portable side of it, and I think it compromises their position in the home console space.

I miss the Nintendo that made the SNES, 64 and Gamecube. Those were all powerhouse machines.

I think a standalone Nintendo Switch box (like the PlayStation TV to an extent) that can play Nintendo Switch games at 4K at 60 fps comfortably would definitely cost way more than $200 (I'm guessing around the $400 - $600 range) since I don't think the Tegra X1 can play Nintendo Switch game at 4K at 60 fps comfortably without getting really hot, so Nintendo would need to upgrade the SoC from a Tegra X1 to a Xavier (a Tegra SoC based on the Volta architecture), which I imagine is considerably more expensive than a Tegra X1.

Last edited:

Shini42

Does it even possible? Some games, I think, are hard locked on 30fps with all animations and physics tied to this framerate.
If it does possible, than how much better heavily stylised games with a very few details would look in 4K?
I don't think that powerhouse console with games to show it of is a thing Nintendo can retrofit halfway into this console cycle.
Game developers on PS4 and Xbox One choose to considerably boost level of detail first, often sacrificing resolution. That is why PS4pro and Xbox One X where a good move. And even with this two, IMO, it's hard to call results a complete success from gamer perspective.
I think, Nintendo can solve some problems with games like Xenoblade 2 by locking it to more adequate resolution. But 4K, imho, would only hurt presentation in most of their games.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I'd love to see them switch over to the Tegra X2. My knowledge of these things is non-existent, so I haven't a clue as to how feasible it would be. However, it would surely offer a decent performance boost?

I wouldn't want them to boost the resolution at all though. The X2 would no doubt enable more native experiences whilst handheld and a base of 1080p whilst docked.

Last edited:
The X2 is really old and showing it’s age. I would want a Tegra that takes advantage of ARMs A75 cpu built on 7nm.

Given how profitable and successful the Switch is, it would be wise for Nintendo do invest a fraction of these profits in the A75 cpu and 7nm process for its follow up.

That would pack a nice walloping of power and efficiency to achieve 6hrs of battery life even while running games like Doom and Wolfenstein 2 at a consistent 1080p HDR 60fps even in portable mode outputting to an OLED Bezel Free display

Last edited:

Dakhil

The X2 is really old and showing it’s age. I would want a Tegra that takes advantage of ARMs A75 cpu built on 7nm.

Given how profitable and successful the Switch is, it would be wise for Nintendo do invest a fraction of these profits in the A75 cpu and 7nm process for its follow up.

That would pack a nice walloping of power and efficiency to achieve 6hrs of battery life even while running games like Doom and Wolfenstein 2 at a consistent 1080p HDR 60fps even in portable mode outputting to an OLED Bezel Free display

I think you meant the Tegra X1 since the Tegra X2 is not used in any non-automobile products.

Even if Nintendo did make investments to work with Nvidia to make a customised Tegra SoC that's manufactured in a 7 nm fabrication process with Cortex A75 cores for the Nintendo Switch revision, I don't think with a 1080p OLED screen, it can sustain a 6 hour battery life when playing graphically intensive games at 1080p at 60 fps consistently since it's pushing around 2.25x more pixels (in comparison to 720p).

Last edited:

Doomsday

Neo Member
I think you meant the Tegra X1 since the Tegra X2 is not used in any non-automobile products.

Even if Nintendo did make investments to work with Nvidia to make a customised Tegra SoC that's manufactured in a 7 nm fabrication process with Cortex A75 cores for the Nintendo Switch revision, I don't think with a 1080p OLED screen, it can sustain a 6 hour battery life when playing graphically intensive games at 1080p at 60 fps consistently since it's pushing 1.5x more pixels (in comparison to 720p).

The number of pixels from 720p to 1080p isn't 1.5x more, it's 2.25x more.

1280*720 = 921600 pixels
1920*1080 = 2073600 pixels

The more you know ^_^

Dakhil

The number of pixels from 720p to 1080p isn't 1.5x more, it's 2.25x more.

1280*720 = 921600 pixels
1920*1080 = 2073600 pixels

The more you know ^_^

Many thanks for the information! :) Let me go edit it.

Glasses free 3D. I love the effect on 3DS. Much higher resolution, combined with advanced eye-tracking = yes.

Whilst I also enjoy the glasses free 3D effect on the Nintendo 3DS, I don't think it's feasible to do so on the Nintendo Switch revision since:
1) Nintendo would have to find a manufacturer that can create a customised display that houses both the LCD screen and a parallax barrier, which would probably be more expensive than just using a standard LCD
screen.
2) Nintendo would need to switch out the Tegra X1 SoC in favour of the Tegra Xavier SoC since I imagine projecting the glasses 3D effect requires at least a considerable amount of processing power, and I imagine the Tegra Xavier SoC is considerably more expensive than the Tegra X1 SoC.
3) I imagine battery life will still be considerably short considering that projecting the glasses free 3D effect still requires at least a considerable amount of processing power.

neckthrough

Neo Member

The A75 is a **CPU**, not a **GPU**. If you want to run Wolf2 at 1080p/60fps on the Switch you are going to be first-and-foremost bottlenecked by (a) memory bandwidth, and (b) GPU flops. The CPU is a very very distant third.

And 7nm? That's not even remotely feasible in a $300 device in 2018-2019.

NickFire

I'm fine with any improvements except for improvements that allow games to run on the revised system but not on the original.

Many thanks for the information! :) Let me go edit it.

Whilst I also enjoy the glasses free 3D effect on the Nintendo 3DS, I don't think it's feasible to do so on the Nintendo Switch revision since:
1) Nintendo would have to find a manufacturer that can create a customised display that houses both the LCD screen and a parallax barrier, which would probably be more expensive than just using a standard LCD
screen.
2) Nintendo would need to switch out the Tegra X1 SoC in favour of the Tegra Xavier SoC since I imagine projecting the glasses 3D effect requires at least a considerable amount of processing power, and I imagine the Tegra Xavier SoC is considerably more expensive than the Tegra X1 SoC.
3) I imagine battery life will still be considerably short considering that projecting the glasses free 3D effect still requires at least a considerable amount of processing power.

I stand behind my wishlist.

built-in ethernet port. How come the switch doesn't have a built-in ethernet port but xbox 1 and ps4 does? It has been a trend with nintendo since the wii that you have to buy an ethernet adapter if you want to wired connection

Like others have already suggested, I'd like a home console only model: no screen, no battery, LAN port, USB storage capability, and less expensive. Handhelds hold no interest for me, so the compromises and extra hardware necessary for portability are something I don't want to pay for.

Barring that, at least a horizontal dock so it doesn't waste so much vertical space when docked.

The Switch has now achieved 15 million in sales!!

I hope to see the Switch revision when they hit 25 million in sales. That should give it a second wave of purchases to help it get to 40-50 million in no time.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just want it in other colors outside black.
Full bluetooth support.
Better screen and improved dock.

I would like the next Switch to pack an AMD APU and run Steam so that I can play my Steam library on the go.

Any chance Nintendo might partner with Valve to make that happen?

VertigoOA

Banned
A home version alternative. Portable gaming is worthless to me. Give me the ability to play Zelda in 4k, HDR at 60fps and with a pro controller solution that isn't an overpriced rip-off.

And the ability to connect online wired and without some USB dongle I have to order from a Nintendo and wait two months for.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

You look at Bayonetta 2 on Switch and you see there isn't much of a visual jump between that version and the Wii U version...and it's still at 720p...

Last edited:

NahaNago

A home version alternative. Portable gaming is worthless to me. Give me the ability to play Zelda in 4k, HDR at 60fps and with a pro controller solution that isn't an overpriced rip-off.

And the ability to connect online wired and without some USB dongle I have to order from a Nintendo and wait two months for.

Yeah , mostly the same for me. I just want a more powerful home version since I rarely do mobile. I don't need the 4k but a solid console somewhere around the ps4's power level and I'm good.

Arcane0ne

Custom themes,custom wallpapers,custom icon size,netbrowser,you tube app,usb storage, better joycon materials,borderless screen... Also a Switch mini with non detachable joycons and more battery life.

Donnie

You look at Bayonetta 2 on Switch and you see there isn't much of a visual jump between that version and the Wii U version...and it's still at 720p...

What's your point here?, this isn't a thread about how good or bad the Bayonetta 2 Switch port is, so I'm a bit confused why you've posted that.

If its some kind of comment on performance, well its a weird one. We've already seen games, even at launch, ported from WiiU to Switch that run at a higher resolution, with better effects and at a better framerate. Those games don't stop existing the moment a game that doesn't show that kind of improvement is released..

RAIDEN1

Just me thinking out loud about that game having recently been ported to the Switch, as it's a title that had rave reviews in the past a stand out title on the platform it was originally on, I thought the new game would do more other than just have a more stable frame-rate, but I assume due to the limits of the hardware there's only so much gloss you can put on a Switch game...(yeah I know gameplay is king) just sayin..

Horns

Make a cheaper, non-portable version of Switch that comes with a Pro controller. Not sure how much it would knock off the price. It's for someone like me who wants a cheaper Switch and doesn't care for portability.

dysonEA

Make a cheaper, non-portable version of Switch that comes with a Pro controller. Not sure how much it would knock off the price. It's for someone like me who wants a cheaper Switch and doesn't care for portability.

Would that just be called the Nintendo itch?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
do you guys hate portability of Switch that much!!? For someone that plays long JRPGs like Xenobalde and Persona, this god send and makes me really excited I can play SMTV anywhere.

Last edited:

Blam

do you guys hate portability of Switch that much!!? For someone that plays long JRPGs like Xenobalde and Persona, this god send and makes me really excited I can able to play SMTV anywhere.
I know right. I'd rather just have a faster switch better battery life. Nothing more no more bigger screen nothing else, and another SD Card slot.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

Much like a lot of folks, I have purchased more games on my switch then I ever thought I would. I'm at over 30 right now which is more then I have purchased on my wiiu, Xbox one, and PS4 combined. I love playing anywhere, at anytime, full-fat console games. Its amazing.

With that said, now that I am entrenched in my love affair, the single biggest thing that if I had to pick just one, would be a full 1080p screen that's bigger.

I know some have complained that the switch is to big, but for me its slightly to small. I'm done playing on DS size screens forever. OLED, no bezel, 1080p and I'm in gaming nirvana. If the battery only lasts as long as it does now, fine.

I want that improved screen.

Donnie

Just me thinking out loud about that game having recently been ported to the Switch, as it's a title that had rave reviews in the past a stand out title on the platform it was originally on, I thought the new game would do more other than just have a more stable frame-rate, but I assume due to the limits of the hardware there's only so much gloss you can put on a Switch game...(yeah I know gameplay is king) just sayin..

Or if you think logically about it they're just quickly porting Bayonetta 1 and 2 as a cash in for the exclusive Bayonetta 3 they're working on, so they haven't spent much time rewriting the older games for a different architecture. More "there's only so much extra performance Switch can get out of a broadly unchanged WiiU game" (See BOTW).

I mentioned earlier games that have been ported from WiiU to Switch, so let me give an example. Lego City: Undercover, ported from WiiU but time spent to update the game for newer architectures (Switch, PS4, XBox One). The game runs at 2.25x the resolution on Switch with far superior effects and at a better framerate.

I just think its a bit silly when people jump on any new port for a system and act as if its a definitive example of its performance vs another system. It ignores all reason, when other ports show something completely different. Not just for Switch either, its been happening since console wars began. I mean lets go back to Lego City: Undercover, runs at a higher resolution on Switch than on XBox One, means nothing as far as Switch's performance vs XBox One though.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
All I want is a Switch 2 once Nvidia has developed a generational successor to the Tegra X1 (the X2 is not that). Make it be part of the same eco system, following the iphone-model. Full backwards compatibility. Nicer graphics for new games (that also run on Switch 1, but in lower settings). Longer battery life thanks to the new hardware (although it'll never be a reliable 5+ hours, give it up, everyone). That's it.

And please, Nintendo, release upgraded joycons with a stronger signal. I can barely play in console mode anymore because the signal keeps cutting off all the time. Sent my Joycons in for repair 3 times, didn't change a thing. Meanwhile no problems ever with my DualShock 4-controller. Or the Wavebird, to use a Nintendo-own example. Please do something ;/

do you guys hate portability of Switch that much!!? For someone that plays long JRPGs like Xenobalde and Persona, this god send and makes me really excited I can play SMTV anywhere.

So much agreed. I'm patiently waiting for Persona 5 Switch, because there's no way I play a 100 hours story-centric game tied to the tv. Not gonna happen.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm puzzled on why we aren't getting 4k releases on the Switch. I'm not a "tech guy" but the Nvidia specs page for the chip says it can handle 4k.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

"TEGRA X1 PROCESSOR SPECIFICATIONS

Tegra X1 GPU NVIDIA Maxwell 256-core GPU
DX-12, OpenGL 4.5, NVIDIA CUDA®, OpenGL ES 3.1, AEP, and Vulkan CPU 4 CPU-cores, 64-bit ARM® CPU
4x A57 2MB L2 VIDEO H.265, VP9 4K 60 fps Video
4k H.265, 4k VP9, 4k H.264 POWER 20 nm SOC - TSMC
Isolated Power Rails, Fourth-Generation Cluster Switching DISPLAY 4K x 2K @60 Hz, 1080p @120 Hz
HDMI 2.0 60 fps, HDCP 2.2"

Is it because it can go into handheld mode the reason 4k isn't possible/not being used? Basically the chip is being severely throttled for heat/battery issues?

All I want in a revision is a more powerful graphics chip. I'd settle for something along PS4 Pro level performance/visuals.

I'd gladly pay another $100 for a more powerful Switch(while maintaining backwards capability of course)

ultrazilla

Gold Member
"Bogroil-A new box for docked mode that gave it the power of a xbox 1 x or even more."

They have a patent for this very idea with the "add on computational devices" patents Nintendo were granted. I'd love to see that as well.

Dakhil

I'm puzzled on why we aren't getting 4k releases on the Switch. I'm not a "tech guy" but the Nvidia specs page for the chip says it can handle 4k.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

"TEGRA X1 PROCESSOR SPECIFICATIONS

Tegra X1 GPU NVIDIA Maxwell 256-core GPU
DX-12, OpenGL 4.5, NVIDIA CUDA®, OpenGL ES 3.1, AEP, and Vulkan CPU 4 CPU-cores, 64-bit ARM® CPU
4x A57 2MB L2 VIDEO H.265, VP9 4K 60 fps Video
4k H.265, 4k VP9, 4k H.264 POWER 20 nm SOC - TSMC
Isolated Power Rails, Fourth-Generation Cluster Switching DISPLAY 4K x 2K @60 Hz, 1080p @120 Hz
HDMI 2.0 60 fps, HDCP 2.2"

Is it because it can go into handheld mode the reason 4k isn't possible/not being used? Basically the chip is being severely throttled for heat/battery issues?

All I want in a revision is a more powerful graphics chip. I'd settle for something along PS4 Pro level performance/visuals.

I'd gladly pay another $100 for a more powerful Switch(while maintaining backwards capability of course)

I don't think Nvidia's saying the Tegra X1 can handle 4K gaming. I think Nvidia's saying the Tegra X1 can handle playing 4K videos at 60 fps at a 60 Hz refresh rate.

And I don't think the Tegra X1 can play Nintendo Switch games at 4K at 60 fps comfortably without it getting really hot since it's pushing 4x more pixels (in comparison to 1080p).

KINGMOKU

I've got a question for the more tech savvy out there.

If these new supposed batteries ever come out(graphene specifically)would that allow portable/hybrid consoles such as the switch to just become beasts? My understanding is that you can only cram so much into the switches form factor because if you up the power it drains the battery much faster(I've read reports that if you powered it with a 1060 it would drain it in 10 minuets)and it would heat up the battery and melt.

New batteries are supposed to hold much more power, and run a hell of a lot cooler.

Would a great new battery allow the next switch to say, have 6 teraflops of raw power? Or even more? I just want everything hybrid from now on, and I'm wondering if its majority battery problems holding back this hybrid solution.

Donnie

A dramatically improved battery technology would allow for higher spec handhelds. But no it wouldn't suddenly mean 6tflop graphics in a handheld, cooling at that kind of performance would still be impossible at current nodes. Maybe something around PS4 levels of raw performance with newer architecture bringing performance the same or above that could be possible in Switch's form factor with a new battery tech (at like 10nm).

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

A dramatically improved battery technology would allow for higher spec handhelds. But no it wouldn't suddenly mean 6tflop graphics in a handheld, cooling at that kind of performance would still be impossible at current nodes. Maybe something around PS4 levels of raw performance with newer architecture bringing performance the same or above that could be possible in Switch's form factor with a new battery tech (at like 10nm).
If you had to speculate, lets say its holiday 2019 when they launch the switch pro, what do you think(dont take into account nintendo's conservative nature)what is the peak theoretical limit of power they could cram into a switch pro for...lets say 400$?

I know its a tough question but we could also maybe guess what a Sony/Microsoft version would look like doing this.

REDRZA MWS

Home console guy here too. Ditch the battery and screen, and put in the next evolution of the tegra chip to suit todays big screen, higher resolution tv’s.

More RAM and an ethernet port would be nice.

Narroo

What's your point here?, this isn't a thread about how good or bad the Bayonetta 2 Switch port is, so I'm a bit confused why you've posted that.

If its some kind of comment on performance, well its a weird one. We've already seen games, even at launch, ported from WiiU to Switch that run at a higher resolution, with better effects and at a better framerate. Those games don't stop existing the moment a game that doesn't show that kind of improvement is released..
Also, it's an inexpensive port of a game that didn't sell too many copies. While the Switch may not be light-years ahead of the WiiU, I wouldn't have really expected many improvements to Bayonetta 2 eitherway. The Switch doesn't do 4K in the first place, while the original Bayonetta 2 had some frame drops, so instead of bumping up the resolution they improved performance.

Heck, the original Bayonetta was critizied for being 720p on it's original, 1080p capable consoles. I'm fairly sure Platinum is aiming for 720p on purpose.

Last edited:

Donnie

If you had to speculate, lets say its holiday 2019 when they launch the switch pro, what do you think(dont take into account nintendo's conservative nature)what is the peak theoretical limit of power they could cram into a switch pro for...lets say 400$?

I know its a tough question but we could also maybe guess what a Sony/Microsoft version would look like doing this.

Perhaps a Xavier based GPU with quad core A73 CPU's on a 12nm process. I know there are smaller processes but Nividia doesn't seem to be using them and not only does Nvidia seem to be the best performance wise for mobile graphics but its also who Nintendo have decided to go with long term. I think in handheld mode (since that's what we're talking about) probably 512gflops (full 32fp) is the max we could hope for. Giving it nearly 3x the performance of Switch. But more likely you'd get a handheld with the power of Switch docked IMO.

KINGMOKU

Perhaps a Xavier based GPU with quad core A73 CPU's on a 12nm process. I know there are smaller processes but Nividia doesn't seem to be using them and not only does Nvidia seem to be the best performance wise for mobile graphics but its also who Nintendo have decided to go with long term. I think in handheld mode (since that's what we're talking about) probably 512gflops (full 32fp) is the max we could hope for. Giving it nearly 3x the performance of Switch. But more likely you'd get a handheld with the power of Switch docked IMO.
Thanks. I doubt nintendo will go the "pro" route but only having one platform may push them into other territories. I really wonder what the SDC ends up being and how it will impact the currents switch.

I wonder if the bandwidth is enough to significantly boost switch docked performance with an add-on SDC?

Top Bottom