• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements would you like to see in a switch revision

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Better kickstand - the current one feels so flimsy I'm hesitant to use it. Just having two "legs" would be a major improvement.

And for the love of $DEITY, USB-C also at the top. It's incredibly stupid that without a separate stand (luckily cheap third-party options exist) you're unable to charge the device while having it on a table, short of laying it flat on the table.

The USB-C being on the bottom is only a thing cause like I mean it has to be there for the dock...and you can get around that by buying a cable and doing something like this though :p

https://imgur.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dakhil

There have been rumors going about that Nintendo is already planning on releasing a "new" Nintendo Switch model with better hardware like they did with the 3DS

I'm surprised no one started a thread about this

Marcus Sellars doesn't exactly have stellar credibility when it comes to rumours.

But anyway, I think that the Nintendo Switch revision dynamically upscaling to 4K and releasing in early 2019 is incredibly unrealistic.
An early 2019 release date will cannibalise future Nintendo Switch sales, and can potentially foil Nintendo's plans on selling 20 million more Nintendo Switches by the end of the fiscal year ending in March 2019.
And whilst the Tegra X2 is considerably more powerful than the Tegra X1, I highly doubt the Tegra X2 can dynamically upscale to 4K when it comes to running video games without severely thermal throttling and without having severe performance degradation.

tkscz

Marcus Sellars doesn't exactly have stellar credibility when it comes to rumours.

But anyway, I think that the Nintendo Switch revision dynamically upscaling to 4K and releasing in early 2019 is incredibly unrealistic.
An early 2019 release date will cannibalise future Nintendo Switch sales, and can potentially foil Nintendo's plans on selling 20 million more Nintendo Switches by the end of the fiscal year ending in March 2019.
And whilst the Tegra X2 is considerably more powerful than the Tegra X1, I highly doubt the Tegra X2 can dynamically upscale to 4K when it comes to running video games without severely thermal throttling and without having severe performance degradation.

The Tegra X2 is more efficient than it is powerful. It uses less energy for the same amount of power as the X1, which does mean it can be push further to pull off more, though it has the same CUDA core count as the X1. I actually can believe Nintendo would do that considering they did that with the GBA and 3DS. At least releasing a "new" version of the Switch with a little more power, but nothing that would straight up output 4K, maybe more stable 1080p. Plus the current Switch hardware can be hacked and Nintendo can't do anything about it because Nvidia forgot to remove part of the X1 that would allow anyone to do so directly from the hardware. Honestly, I doubt it's true, but rumors can be fun.

Last edited:

Dakhil

The Tegra X2 is more efficient than it is powerful. It uses less energy for the same amount of power as the X1, which does mean it can be push further to pull off more, though it has the same CUDA core count as the X1. I actually can believe Nintendo would do that considering they did that with the GBA and 3DS. At least releasing a "new" version of the Switch with a little more power, but nothing that would straight up output 4K, maybe more stable 1080p. Plus the current Switch hardware can be hacked and Nintendo can't do anything about it because Nvidia forgot to remove part of the X1 that would allow anyone to do so directly from the hardware. Honestly, I doubt it's true, but rumors can be fun.

I don't think the Game Boy Advance and the Nintendo 3DS is a good comparison to make since I believe there were no major spec changes (SoC wise) with the Game Boy Advance revisions, unless you're talking about the brighter screens and the smaller chassises. And the Nintendo 3DS XL model, which Nintendo released around 1-1.5 years after the original Nintendo 3DS model, again has no major spec changes (again SoC wise), unless you're talking about a bigger chassis, bigger screens, and a bigger battery. And the New Nintendo 3DS lineup was released 3-4 years after the original Nintendo 3DS lineup was released.

tkscz

I don't think the Game Boy Advance and the Nintendo 3DS is a good comparison to make since I believe there were no major spec changes (SoC wise) with the Game Boy Advance revisions, unless you're talking about the brighter screens and the smaller chassises. And the Nintendo 3DS XL model, which Nintendo released around 1-1.5 years after the original Nintendo 3DS model, again has no major spec changes (again SoC wise), unless you're talking about a bigger chassis, bigger screens, and a bigger battery. And the New Nintendo 3DS lineup was released 3-4 years after the original Nintendo 3DS lineup was released.

Oh yeah, the Switch was released in 2017. I keep thinking it was released in 2016. If that's the case and they wait until 2020 to release a new model, then I would hope it had a Xavier chip over the X2. Doubling the CUDA cores, Bus/Band width and actually having an 8 core CPU rather than two 4 core CPUs. Much more efficient and runs at 1.3TFs.

Dakhil

Oh yeah, the Switch was released in 2017. I keep thinking it was released in 2016. If that's the case and they wait until 2020 to release a new model, then I would hope it had a Xavier chip over the X2. Doubling the CUDA cores, Bus/Band width and actually having an 8 core CPU rather than two 4 core CPUs. Much more efficient and runs at 1.3TFs.

Whilst I would personally love to see the Nintendo use a Tegra Xavier SoC for the Nintendo Switch revision, I think it boils down to how much the Tegra Xavier SoC would add to the total price of the Nintendo Switch revision since I'm pretty sure Nintendo's not going to sell it at a loss, and how power efficient the Tegra Xavier SoC will be, considering that Nintendo always like to make their consoles very power efficient, and considering that lithium battery technology hasn't really changed for years.

tkscz

Whilst I would personally love to see the Nintendo use a Tegra Xavier SoC for the Nintendo Switch revision, I think it boils down to how much the Tegra Xavier SoC would add to the total price of the Nintendo Switch revision since I'm pretty sure Nintendo's not going to sell it at a loss, and how power efficient the Tegra Xavier SoC will be, considering that Nintendo always like to make their consoles very power efficient, and considering that lithium battery technology hasn't really changed for years.

Looking it up, Xavier is far more power efficient than Parker (X2). With Xavier having a 30w TDP and Parker having an 80w TDP.

Dakhil

Looking it up, Xavier is far more power efficient than Parker (X2). With Xavier having a 30w TDP and Parker having an 80w TDP.

I think the TDP is with respect to automobiles since the Tegra X2 and the Tegra Xavier, so far, are only announced to be used in automobiles.

The Tegra X1 was already used in tablets and the Nvidia Shield TV before the Nintendo Switch used the Tegra X1, which has a very low TDP. (18 W is the highest TDP the Nintendo Switch used.)

Of course, Nintendo and Nvidia could customise whatever Tegra SoC Nintendo's planning to use in the Nintendo Switch revision (whether it's a Tegra X2 or a Tegra Xavier) to run at a much lower TDP, but it would probably be expensive.

That's why I said price is also a factor to whether or not Nintendo would use a Tegra X2 or a Tegra Xavier in the Nintendo Switch revision.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
We have a thread on this Nintendo Switch chan. From a few weeks ago I believe. Also these are "plans".

ChuyMasta

• 1080p screen with smaller bezel.
  • Better battery.
  • To run with docked clocks and resolution in portable mode.

That is all thats needed an IPS screen tech is fine OLED would just jack up the price.

That's it for me. I want to play doom, wolfesntein, Monster Hunter, Zelda etc all in 1080p native. None of this dinamic resolution nonsense

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
VR
beer cooler
bottle opener
dolby atmos
dolby vision
vhs player
petrol powered

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
VR
beer cooler
bottle opener
dolby atmos
dolby vision
vhs player
petrol powered
Ironically the audio the switch plays cleaner than my ps4 pro thru 3 different receivers.

:/

And the ps4 pro doesn't even support dolby atmos and has a mediocre sound card

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Ironically the audio the switch plays cleaner than my ps4 pro thru 3 different receivers.

:/

And the ps4 pro doesn't even support dolby atmos and has a mediocre sound card
Ouch tbh xbox one x dolby atmos can be glitchy af

Ulysses 31

HDR support
Dock that looks less than a big plastic brick
External HD support
Variable screen Hz/FreeSync support(at least for portable mode)
Including adjustable charge stand
Packshot.jpg

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

- better quality 720pScreen
- better batterylife (about 1h more)
- better Joy Cons (improved HD rumble, dpad etc.)
- 64GB storage
- Faster
- Stylish Dock with 4k and hdr?
- integrated Voicechat function
- more ergonomic/lite
- better built quality
- better kickstand
- Bluetooth
- A surprise improvement

JCK75

Bigger option, better screen, better battery life, whatever is needed to allow voice chat in games without a phone..
higher resolution display and gyro tech in the actual console itself instead of just in the joycons so that it's VR capable.

Jubenhimer

Weren't those cards made in 2011 making it almost 8 years next year when new Switch is out? Shouldn't it be feasible then?

No, even the most powerful mobile chips back then couldn't get close to PS4 level specs. Basically, wanting a significant power increase isn't feasible for the Switch because it's always going to be limited by its need to fully function as a mobile device.

Halo0629

I like it to be more portable and smaller like smartphone small. I remember I used to love bringing my switch with me when going out but eventually I just find bringing it too inconvenient that I'd rather just play with it at home than outdoors.

Meesh

Honestly... a Switch XL. That about sums it up. Bigger and better screen, bump in power and on a side note make a few LEs. Different colored editions/themes.

PocoJoe

Banned
No, even the most powerful mobile chips back then couldn't get close to PS4 level specs. Basically, wanting a significant power increase isn't feasible for the Switch because it's always going to be limited by its need to fully function as a mobile device.

More like it Will be limited by greedyness of Nintendo.

Even if there would be more powerfull components available, they rather use cheapest possible ones to maximise their profits.

Like switch, they just used tegra x1 without customizations, had low ram + flash amount, plastic screen and so on.

Doubling flash/ram would have cost maybe 10-20$ to them back then, or so i have read. But they instead cheaped out. (Some 2016 phones under 400€ had 6gb of ram already with top class SoC)

Fastest available mobile chips like apple A12, kirin 970/980 or snapdragon 845 would be already much faster than X1 with same kind of cooling and formfactor.

But because nintendo cheaped out and used stock tegra, now they are stuck with it and NVIDIA cares more about cars than mobile chips

Jubenhimer

More like it Will be limited by greedyness of Nintendo.

Even if there would be more powerfull components available, they rather use cheapest possible ones to maximise their profits.

Like switch, they just used tegra x1 without customizations, had low ram + flash amount, plastic screen and so on.

Doubling flash/ram would have cost maybe 10-20$ to them back then, or so i have read. But they instead cheaped out. (Some 2016 phones under 400€ had 6gb of ram already with top class SoC)

Fastest available mobile chips like apple A12, kirin 970/980 or snapdragon 845 would be already much faster than X1 with same kind of cooling and formfactor.

But because nintendo cheaped out and used stock tegra, now they are stuck with it and NVIDIA cares more about cars than mobile chips

Powerful hardware also comes with increased retail costs. Not to mention Tegra X2 wasn't available by the time the Switch specs were finalized. So Nintendo had to go with the chip that best suited for what the Switch needed as a Platform. It needed to be powerful, but also weak enough to maintain decent battery and minimal heat consumption, It needed to be easy to develop for, for third parties. And it needed to be affordable, but also profitable. Tegra X1 was the only chip that could deliver all these needs at once.

It's not a matter of greed, it's a matter of narrowing your options down based on what you want the platform to be, and Nintendo simply went with the hardware that best suited the Switch's needs as a platform.

Jubenhimer

* Bigger screen with smaller bezels
* Better, wider kickstand
* Repositioning of the USB-C port to the intent on the bottom, to allow for charging while in tabletop mode
* A pair of Joy-Con Singles grips bundled (I don't mind the size of the Joy-Con, but some people would like something a bit easier to grip for hem)

The Switch doesn't have too many flaws to warrant a significant design overhaul, just some inconveniences that can be easily refined.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dunno if anyone mentioned this already but if they ever put out a revision that has the same performance docked and undocked (obviously on the higher end of the current spectrum if not even higher rather than apply the lower end undocked mode to the TV play) I'd like them to make the new dock have a wireless mode to make it so that you don't even have to detach the controllers and slot it in and what not if you want to game on the TV. Just instantly switch from playing the TV to portable mode if you move too far from the dock or if you choose it from the settings. Slotting/unslotting in/from the dock would still act like the instant mode switch too obviously so you could switch to that to charge it and what not. That way you can also do stuff like send the youtube or Netflix or whatever video you're watching to the TV for everyone to check like you could do on the Wii U, that stuff were pretty cool to me even if I never owned a Wii U and it's pretty sad they were left behind. Support for higher res (is 4K possible on tegra x1 upgrades?) streamed media playback (only on docked mode I guess, rather than streaming it twice) would be good too even if the games and other apps never achieve that image quality.

Last edited:

Dakhil

Yes indeed, a Switch revision is indeed on the way and expected to be out by this time next year!

According to their affiliates, they are ‘miniaturizing the console with portability and playing outdoors in mind, as well as cutting features to reduce the price and expand the userbase."

https://gearnuke.com/nintendo-planning-launching-smaller-cheaper-switch-end-of-fy2019-rumor/

It basically sounds a Nintendo DS Lite styled revision for the Nintendo Switch to me, which I think is fine if Nintendo's going to release that revision in 2019.

But I'd prefer an upgraded revision of the Nintendo Switch (meaning an upgraded SoC, increased internal storage, maybe increased RAM, etc.) if Nintendo's going to release that revision in 2020 (and hopefully a Joy-Con revision to boot with better quality plastic and better ergonomics).

Last edited:
Top Bottom