• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age 3 Details And Concept Art

Patryn

Sometimes I feel like the only person who hated DA2, but is willing to give DA3 a chance to show off some gameplay footage before judging.

Sometimes I feel like the only person who hated DA2, but is willing to give DA3 a chance to show off some gameplay footage before judging.

Nope, I'm willing to give it a chance to stand on its own merits. There's very much a culture of Bioware hate going on at the moment, and not many people are willing to give credit where credit is due.

Still currently expecting a bad game, though

Forkball

This game will sell millions of copies. This always happens with franchises with diehard fanbases.

First game: Wow, this game is amazing!
Second game: Everyone says it sucks, but I will ignore them and buy it anyways.
Third game: Ok, the last game sucked, but THIS time it looks much improved.

Cameron Lee @BioWare ‏@Cameron__Lee
Question: how much control will you have over your character... Mike "you will be human" #DA3

4db26bb112d790b56fcaa934bad0b78808828b10.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really, really didn't like the first one... and never played the second. Yet I'm still interested in this for some reason.

Nah, I hated DA2, it was the first Bioware game since NWN that I haven't instantly started a second game after completing it (of course ME3 quickly followed), but I'm still interested in DA3. I'll give it a chance. Maybe there's some magic left in the ole Bioware corpse. Of course if DA3 fails I'll feel pretty comfortable writing them off.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're answering a bit more on Twitter.

Mike Laidlaw ‏@Mike_Laidlaw
Sorry, for those who love elves and dwarves, but long term I’d like to see all four races playable. Future plans!

@JayWhite73 Human, Elf, Dwarf, “Qunari” (Kossith, in truth)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You should be! Players like are the target audience after all.

This is treading perilously close to an unprovoked personal insult. Really unnecessary. Maybe you have some insecurity issues... not really my business, but try not to take it out on other people.

Sorry, for those who love elves and dwarves, but long term I’d like to see all four races playable. Future plans!

They can't be serious.

Spl1nter

Hahaha that is a pretty funny photo op for Tony Clement. Doesnt look exactly thrilled to be there at bioware. Then again they are in Edmonton ;)

Yeah I figured as much.

They won't be smiling when EA reaches the eventual and ultimately inevitable decision to downsize Bioware EA Edmonton. Reduction of any studio is bad for the canadian gov, especially since they seem to be betting on it for a sizable protion of their country's economy.

I will admit I actually burst out laughing when I read this.

DTKT

So have they even started development yet? So far it seems they've been going to cons seeking fan approval.

They are in pre-production now. That means a lot of concept art, high-level design meetings, prototyping and the creation of the design documents.

At least, they are saying something, it seems that they genuinely want to make a good game. We'll see if they translate into the actual product in a year or so.

Zeliard

I can't listen to anything Bioware says anymore (though to be fair, this goes for most devs).

Dragon Age 3 may end up a good game, but I'm certainly not going to take Bioware's word for it.

Patryn

They are in pre-production now. That means a lot of concept art, high-level design meetings, prototyping and the creation of the design documents.

At least, they are saying something, it seems that they genuinely want to make a good game. We'll see if they translate into the actual product in a year or so.

They have to be further than pre-production if they're gearing for late 2013.

I just think they're being VERY careful in making sure that when they do finally show off gameplay, it looks perfect and perfectly reflects the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This game will sell millions of copies. This always happens with franchises with diehard fanbases.

First game: Wow, this game is amazing!
Second game: Everyone says it sucks, but I will ignore them and buy it anyways.
Third game: Ok, the last game sucked, but THIS time it looks much improved.

I thought DA2 actually saw a pretty significant drop off in sales compared to DAO?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The market speaks.

I'm sure that after ME3, BW is really going to be careful about how they approach their next game.

Hint: Don't alienate your fan base.

charsace

The first in game pictures of DA2 showed off the open plains. You guys know what we got in the end. These pics mean nothing to me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Please be as epic as DA:O and have DA2's dialogue and I'll be happy.

also, any MP and i'll vomit.

I think co-op does have a lot of potential. And with the way the games are structured, having it as an option shouldn't effect how the singleplayer feels at all.

Truant

The first in game pictures of DA2 showed off the open plains. You guys know what we got in the end. These pics mean nothing to me.

What picture was that?

I think DA3 will be different, and that's only because Bioware is in a position where they can't ignore the bad rep. There's nothing they've done lately that's been universally well recieved, without controversy or just straight up considered an amazing game.

They know the Call of Duty money is reserved for Call of Duty. They know they've lost most of their hardcore fans, and they know they can't screw this up.

if i was to say only play the main storyline(no sidequests and such)how bad are the repeating dungeons/areas in dragon age 2? about how long is it? im kinda curious to play through it but ive read nothing but complaints about it so im pretty weary.

2San

also, any MP and i'll vomit.
If they could make it like Dawn of War II 40k. Where someone else can control 2 guys it'll be nice addition. Or even better 4 players playing 1 character each. I really liked playing Dawn of War II co-op. Even if the game isn't designed with that mind it's pretty cool to have imo.
if i was to say only play the main storyline(no sidequests and such)how bad are the repeating dungeons/areas in dragon age 2? about how long is it? im kinda curious to play through it but ive read nothing but complaints about it so im pretty weary.
The pacing is fine you wont get bored playing it(if you ignore the side quests). It's just that it isn't very good. The repeating areas problem is still there though. It's pretty short even if you do all the side quests. I forgot how long I played it, I remember it being quite a bit shorter then DA:O. I'm guessing around 20 hours(I did all the side stuff though). It's not worth more then 15 dollars though.

Darklord

Banned

There's only 3 locations in the game. No matter what you do, you'll be repeating areas constantly. Took me about 25 hours with side quests. I don't think it's worse playing. The entire end game stretch made me angry at how shit it was.

A speed run is probably gonna net you five hours.

A speed run of Origins will most likely net you eight. I can't do it in less than that.

There's only 3 locations in the game. No matter what you do, you'll be rep[eating areas constantly. Took me about 25 hours with side quests.

wow what the hell. game length doesnt sound bad but just going over the same areas repeatedly for that long i dont think id finish it. i guess i assumed when people were talking about areas repeating they meant sidequests just sent them back to areas from the mainstory line. thanks for the reply.

Rad-

I think co-op does have a lot of potential. And with the way the games are structured, having it as an option shouldn't effect how the singleplayer feels at all.

A lot of people don't seem to remember that Baldur's Gate 2 had co-op. It didn't bother the singleplayer at all and it was super fun.

Darklord

Banned
wow what the hell. game length doesnt sound bad but just going over the same areas repeatedly for that long i dont think id finish it. i guess i assumed when people were talking about areas repeating they meant sidequests just sent them back to areas from the mainstory line. thanks for the reply.

I'd say a good 70% of the game is set in one city. And it's a pretty boring city.

Almighty

How can I put this? There is a small part of me that hopes Bioware isn't dead and buried under a big pile of crap, just a small part. The rest of me though is almost sure the old Bioware is dead and gone. So I can't really say that I am expecting anything of DA3. The best I can say is if the impressions on this forum turn out to be good I might rent it.

Thankfully thanks to Kickstarter I no longer need to cling to the unlikely hope of Bioware returning to their roots and making RPGs like they used to. Others have now risen and look like they will be filling that gap quite nicely.

The_Monk

I really, really hope this game to be interesting with a good Story and narrative.

I'm close to finishing The Witcher 2 and it seems I'll be without an alternative when it comes to similar titles, I must search more games set in times like these.

Also, really nice Concept art.

By long term does he mean DLC or DA4? It's a pity that they only seem interested in Human protagonists. The different origins and particularly how the Human Noble and City Elf tied into the endgame (or so I've read, not actually finished it myself) came across as one of the best things about the first game.

Sentenza

How can I put this? There is a small part of me that hopes Bioware isn't dead and buried under a big pile of crap, just a small part. The rest of me though is almost sure the old Bioware is dead and gone. So I can't really say that I am expecting anything of DA3. The best I can say is if the impressions on this forum turn out to be good I might rent it.

Thankfully thanks to Kickstarter I no longer need to cling to the unlikely hope of Bioware returning to their roots and making RPGs like they used to. Others have now risen and look like they will be filling that gap quite nicely.

Yep. Isn't that wonderful?

Top Bottom