• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch or PS4 to complement a gaming PC?

Both to be honest.

I went with PS4 personally since I like Sony exclusives library more but you can't go wrong with a Switch either.

The ideal would be owning a PC+PS4+Switch.

Fiendcode

PS4 currently has more exclusives but it's also a mature established platform while Switch is just emerging. By the same token 3DS has more exclusives than PS4, being more mature even.

Functionally Switch is the better compliment thanks to it's hybrid nature. Content wise it's comparably lacking but this won't remain the case looking forward. Go for Switch.

EGM1966

I've both now with PC and they both complement it well. If you're only getting one then get the one whose exclusives you want the most - that's surely the point of a console with a PC?

VanWinkle

That's very rough, because both companies have amazing first party studios. I think what is most comes down to in your situation is what, between these two main differences, is most appealing to you:

Way better graphics, or the ability to play your games anywhere?

Fiendcode

I've both now with PC and they both complement it well. If you're only getting one then get the one whose exclusives you want the most - that's surely the point of a console with a PC?
It's not just exclusives but also functionality. Switch's hybrid nature is also a selling point for ports while PS4 doesn't really offer too much PC doesn't already.

Santar

I'd say get a Switch.
Nintendo exclusives will never come to pc but more and more ps4 exclusives do, except sonys first party, but those can be very hit and miss imo.

goldenpp72

For me it would obviously be Switch, if you're one of the unusual sorts who prefers the Sony exclusives over Nintendo though, then it should be an obvious choice on either side. Switch offers portability but that doesn't matter if the games aren't your preference.

MRORANGE

I bought a PC, then a PS4.

I regret it slightly. Part of the prblem is lack of PS4 exclusives, while the Switch libary is still small its bound to get more 1st party games in the long run compared to PS4

ONly reason why I still have it is for TLO2 and Detriot: Too Human.

HotHamBoy

Switch will have more exclusives, especially now with Japan embracing the PC. But if you want to play Sony's first party games more, buy a PS4.

I don't know if it will have nore exclusives with Sony having a 3 year head start.

It really does depend on your tastes. I feel like Sony has a wider range of genres under its belt but Nintendo has more consistency.

Ultimately the lack of overlap with PC and the portable nature probably makes Switch a more appealing compliment to PC.

To be honest I think those using first year of Switch as any indicative is out of their minds.
Switch is benefiting from WiiU failure.
Ninty unplugged WiiU, moved all games to Switch, delayed games to Switch and used WiiU already launched games as part of Switch line up.
Dont get me wrong here. I think Switch is having a nice start.
But dropping your previously plataform soon like N did has put them in a very comfortable position.
I still wanna see what they are going to do when the last remasters ( like SSB or possibly Bayo ) and moved projects ( like next Pikmin ) are over.

This year, Switch is benefiting from Wii U's failure

Starting next year, Switch will benefit from Nintendo's transition to a single dedicated platform.

De_Legend

Banned
I bought a PC, then a PS4.

I regret it slightly. Part of the prblem is lack of PS4 exclusives, while the Switch libary is still small its bound to get more 1st party games in the long run compared to PS4

ONly reason why I still have it is for TLO2 and Detriot: Too Human.

The lack of PS4 exclusives?

I have them both with a PC but if I had to choose I would get a PS4 over a Switch. I use my PS4 everyday and haven't used my Switch for weeks and probably won't even turn it on till late November when I get Mario Odyssey.

Though it depends on which exclusives do you prefer. I personally prefer Sony's 1st party games over Nintendo's.

For me it would obviously be Switch, if you're one of the unusual sorts who prefers the Sony exclusives over Nintendo though, then it should be an obvious choice on either side. Switch offers portability but that doesn't matter if the games aren't your preference.

"The unusual sorts"?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not just exclusives but also functionality. Switch's hybrid nature is also a selling point for ports while PS4 doesn't really offer too much PC doesn't already.

And you pay for that hybrid functionality with higher priced ports. If you own a PC, the thought of handheld play loses a lot of luster when the games are many times more expensive because of the cartridge format.

De_Legend

Banned
I have them both with a PC but if I had to choose I would get a PS4 over a Switch. I use my PS4 everyday and haven't used my Switch for weeks and probably won't even turn it on till late November when I get Mario Odyssey.

Though it depends on which exclusives do you prefer. I personally prefer Sony's 1st party games over Nintendo's.

"The unusual sorts"?

We unusual bruh.

drkOne

I don't know if I could do without the Sony exclusives, but I'd say that there's a bigger overlap between PS4 and PC.

As someone who exclusively plays Switch handheld, the PS4 couldn't really replace it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And you pay for that hybrid functionality with higher priced ports. If you own a PC, the thought of handheld play loses a lot of luster when the games are many times more expensive because of the cartridge format.
Yeah but as with all launch taxes those decrease over time either due to cheaper processes or market forces.

Fiendcode

That's more a result of console ports being more expensive in general, plus Switch's newness as a platform exacerbating this sort of price gouging. PS4 ports are also generally more expensive than PC.

And so does the PS4...and by a far greater amount?.

This is the Switch's first year out vs almost 4 years worth of retail and indie exclusives on PS4. Its not a fair comparison to be honest. This is what the OP is curious about and this is truth at the moment.

Why try and advise the OP on what to do with his money if you're not first gonna read his post? Yeah, if he had never had a PS4, then of course it would have the larger and more diverse library, but he did have one up until a few months ago and played the exclusives that interested him up to that point. It's the PS4 vs the Switch starting at the same point.

I'll paste the OP again for people who didn't read it:
If you had to choose between one of these consoles to complement a gaming PC which would you choose atm? Going to buy one soonish (next couple months). I had a PS4 up until a few months ago when it died so I've already played mostly everything on it I wanted up to this point but of course it will get some great games coming up. Switch I have yet to touch however. What do you think gaf? Which would you pick?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Both since I could use the Switch mainly as a handheld.
"The unusual sorts"?

Console wars are serious business.

I have been unusual since the PS1 launched. Last main Mario and Zelda I played was Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess.

Both.

In your situation, Nintendo Switch would be the better choice (for now) since you've already played most of what you wanted on the PS4 up to this point.

Buy a Switch ASAP and save up money for the eventual God of War bundle :p

hzsn724

Switch. Chances are most PS4 games will come to steam eventually, and you can get Playstation Now which streams all the games to your pc. And Sony's first party ip aren't anywhere near Nintendo's which will 100% never leave the platform.

And this is coming from someone who has been a PlayStation gamer since '95, and who still owns and frequents my PS1, Vita, psp, PS2, and PS3.

Clearos

Which ever has what you want. I got the switch because the portable hardware is what my pc lacks. In the end I got bored of the games but ps4 has what I want and I'm putting in a lot of time with that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sony and Nintendo make amazing 1st party games, so deep down I think you already know that you'll eventually end up with both.

RalchAC

PS4 now, Switch in a year.

The PS4 has a really robust catalog right now, most of their exclusives have a really important single player component and you can find a lot of games in the 20-40€ range. If you don't mind buying on PSN, there are good sales quite often.

Then get a Switch next year or something. The platform will be more mature and you may find some awesome Black Friday bundle, which is something that may not happen this year if they still can't fullfil demand.

Neith

Banned
Based on a cursory glance of the first two pages, this thread in general is really downplaying the amount of exclusives the PS4 has now.

More than a few posters seem pretty bent on looking past the large library on PS4. Which is pretty crazy to be honest. The Switch has very few must play games IMO.

And the best one is available on PC with much better image quality.

If you need portable at all the Switch is the best option. If all you want is great games and exclusives right now the best choice is PS4 by a large margin.

People saying Switch in 12-24 months.... well you might as wait for the upgraded Switch. And that is what I am doing. I want a 7nm Switch.

More than a few posters seem pretty bent on looking past the large library on PS4. Which is pretty crazy to be honest. The Switch has very few must play games IMO.

And the best one is available on PC with much better image quality.

If you need portable at all the Switch is the best option. If all you want is great games and exclusives right now the best choice is PS4 by a large margin.

People saying Switch in 12-24 months.... well you might as wait for the upgraded Switch. And that is what I am doing. I want a 7nm Switch.

We're looking past the large PS4 library because the OP says in his first post that he had a PS4 up until a few months ago and played almost all the exclusives he was interested in but knows there will be more in the future. The current PS4 library is irrelevant.

OP had a PS4 up to a few months ago and has played every game he or she was interested in up to that point. The large preexisting library is essentially irrelevant for PS4 in this discussion.

Chances are most PS4 games will come to steam eventually.

I need sources, links or this is huge tales from your arse.

On topic, I'm waiting for switch's first hardware revision to get one, which should arrive next year imo.

As of now, without VC and only two games that I'm interested in (BoTW and Odyssey comming soon) i do not feel the need to buy a switch.

On topic, I'm waiting for switch's first hardware revision to get one, which should arrive next year imo.

Historically Nintendo hh revisions were every two years and consoles never got them. We haven't had any rumours of an upgrade so basically you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting one next year.

If you can only have one, Switch is the better complement. But if you can afford both, they're both great machines. My PS4 hasn't got a look in since Switch arrived, though. Nor has my Xbox.

Platy

Switch has the console and handheld teams doing first party stuff for it.

Mario, Kirby, Yoshi and Xenoblade 2 for this fiscal year. Pokemon and Metroid in the horizon.
Remember Nintendo hates to announce games that are far away. Those 2 are exceptions.

Zelda, arms, pokken,Mario kart, splatoon 2 that you might have missed and is already released.

And the possibilities of virtual console

For me, personally, Sony’s exclusives really feel off in what I’m interested in. I haven’t been excited for any of their games in a long while. So I sold the PS4.

I might buy a Switch in a few years. I still have a 360 because I have yet to beat the Gears games, plus Halo ODST, Reach, and 4. So that, the 3DS, and iOS should keep me good where the PC isn’t enough gaming, somehow.

Nekster

Switch. Nintendo franchises, the kind of games they produce, are so different than the PC/PS4 catalogue that i think is the best partner for any of them, also you're buying a portable console.

PS4 has great exclusives but if we're talking about "vibes" i think you can find similar experiences on PC (or ONE). And most AAA are multiplatform PS4/PC anyway.

Fukuzatsu

I'd say get a Switch.
Nintendo exclusives will never come to pc but more and more ps4 exclusives do, except sonys first party, but those can be very hit and miss imo.

I feel like people are overstating the ratio of PS4/PC games to bigger-budget exclusives when they say this though. Some games like NieR: Automata, Street Fighter 5, or Left Alive (when it comes out) will be only console-exclusive and some 'everything but Nintendo' games like FFXV, DW9, or MHW will be out on PC as well, but many of the system's biggest games aren't coming to PC:
inFamous Second Son
Killzone Shadow Fall
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Uncharted series
Last of Us series
The Last Guardian
Insomniac's Spider-Man
Until Dawn
Hidden Agenda
Days Gone
Gran Turismo
MLB The Show
Persona 5
Yakuza series
Nioh
Dragon Quest XI (also out on 3DS and Switch eventually)
Bloodborne

As well as some indies or ports that don't go elsewhere, like the recent Windjammers on PS4 and Vita. Sounds like you've played a portion of these already, so it's just up to what you think has more on offer at this stage. It isn't like Sony has nothing left in the pipeline, but Switch's is also very likely to expand significantly.

DMiz

I think most people have pretty much given you an idea of where to go with this:

It ultimately come down to the games that you want to play. However, to get what is arguably the 'best' experience, both are potentially necessary.

Sony exclusives are definitely things to behold, and compared to Microsoft, they certainly have a comfortable and meaningful stable of titles that you will only ever get to play on PlayStation. There is also the ongoing support that we continue to see from Japanese companies with respect to support for PS4 (Ni-Oh comes to mind as a game that has stayed exclusive; the Yakuza series is another).

You can't beat the fact that Nintendo, however, has the 'most' exclusives, particularly with titles that, if you grew up with, have aged well and have shown new life on the console, showcasing rejuvenations of series that were thought to be stale.

Top Bottom