• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness coming west for PS4, PS Vita, and PC this fall

So this is just more of an interactive story than an actual game? Tried to look up gameplay videos, seemed like they were all cutscenes.

It's a visual novel. You read voice-acted text and every so often have decision points where you make choices that will lead the story down branching paths to multiple endings.

It's a visual novel. You read voice-acted text and every so often have decision points where you make choices that will lead the story down branching paths to multiple endings.

Nice definition, I was sceptical of the genre until I played Danganronpa and realised this was where most of the elements I liked about 90s adventure games went.

Walpurgis

Banned
My only problem with this game is that akane won't be as cool as she was after "that" certain point in the first season and throught the second one.

It will be a shame to see her act clueless and so
throughly braincwashed by the system

I know that people like to dump on season 2 but if there is one thing they got right, it was portraying Akane as a badass. I think it will be interesting to see her be a loser again.

Vanethyr

More VNs are always welcome, especially on the Vita!

Guess I'll bump this up my list of things to watch as well before the game releases.

Rymuth

Too much of a retread of the first season for me.
Well, it's kind of the show's thing. Central antagonist that showcases what's wrong with Sybill. The movie even goes the same route.
I didn't hate it, I just found it less compelling.

The villain isn't very good, and a lot of the mystery of the Sybil system is gone. Most of the new characters aren't very interesting either, at least compared to the first season's batch. I would totally watch more, just not as good as the first season.
Fair points - like I said, I can see why people wouldn't rate it as high as the first season...I'm just trying to understand the people who say DON'T WATCH IT

It's a step-down from season 1 but it's by no means unwatchable. Anyway, I probably veered off-topic.

hongcha

I think this is wonderful news. Psycho Pass was made by Makoto Asada, an ex-CAVE director who also made the VN Instant Brain on the Xbox 360, which is still my favourite VN.

Tohsaka

Figured it would be getting localized since Play-Asia had an English version listed a few months back, but took it down soon after. I'll probably buy it.

Guymelef

NISA hasn't published a single XB1 game, right? They might not feel it's worth the effort of buying a publishing license. Besides, 5pb. might publish that version on XBL themselves.

Also Microsoft asking for a minimum number of printing copies doesn't help here.

CISphil

Neo Member
BASED NISA! Loved the anime and will very much look forward to this. Hoping for a reasonable EU release date and a cool collector's edition.

Since the Season 2 argument seems to have surfaced again I'm going to just say, it adds nothing and focuses way too much on the disgusting gore parts which were actually used well in season 1. Akane is the only remaining point of interest I think but she really doesn't do much. There's at least 1 pretty good part early on though. Actual spoiler:
The mobile game that controls the killer robots.

emag

Fair points - like I said, I can see why people wouldn't rate it as high as the first season...I'm just trying to understand the people who say DON'T WATCH IT

It's a step-down from season 1 but it's by no means unwatchable. Anyway, I probably veered off-topic.

The second season (and movie) of PP is like the last season of Battlestar Galactica: it's still okay (relative to the competition), but it lowers the overall impression of the series.

I hope the VN features some world building and character development (outside of just the main character(s)), both of which were so sorely lacking in PP post-S1.

pbayne

Well, it's kind of the show's thing. Central antagonist that showcases what's wrong with Sybill. The movie even goes the same route.

That sucks. Like I think the Sybil system is an awesome concept to develop a series around but its been beaten to death at this point. Id like just one Psycho-Pass story that didn't revolve around it.

Have the Inspectors travel to a country that is being prepared to implement it or something.

This sums up nicely why: http://i.imgur.com/YwCXsXy.png

jonjonaug

That sucks. Like I think the Sybil system is an awesome concept to develop a series around but its been beaten to death at this point. Id like just one Psycho-Pass story that didn't revolve around it.

Have the Inspectors travel to a country that is being prepared to implement it or something.
That's what the film is about.

i guess it's safe to say this was on no one's radar.

I suspected these since you were dropping pretty heavy hints that games have to be PS4/Vita these days you were saying there were more viable PS4 games than I was thinking of, yet I'm still surprised to see it.

S2 basically tries to be a repeat of S1's main story, but it does everything worse in half the time. Villain is offensively terrible, new characters are either bad or inoffensive at best. And it's not like it moves the plot forward in any meaningful way.

It's so-so on its own. As a sequel, it's garbo.

Interesting I always saw her as having a
begrudging acceptance of the system
rather than being clueless. I can see the criticisms of the new team though I guess I enjoyed Akane's character enough that I was willing to give them a pass.

Season 2 is definitely not on Netflix in Ireland, I even signed up for Funimation streaming for the 10 minutes it took me to discover everything was IP region locked :(

She
was accepting the system and didn't question it. And even when she was questionning the system it was only in a very small doses , unable to shake her belief of it. It was only after she saw first hand that the system was flawed that she changed untill she saw the truth of the system ..and that was the trigger for the self she had at the end of S1 and during S2 ...now she tolerate the system because she has no other alternative to it.

Jazz573

Oh, one of the writers is the scenario writer for the Steampunk series from Liar-soft, Sakurai Hikaru. :p There's also another writer from Liar-soft, Myougayajinroku, who worked on Cannonball and Forest. If you don't know what Liar-soft is, don't worry about it. I'm writing this more for the few people here who might be aware of them.

The main writer, Kanan Ren, is mainly a writer for loli nukige, but apparently also did an otome game. Strange choice. Never even heard of him. Urobuchi is also credited for scenario.

luminous

I've been curious about this game but I haven't even heard a single impression on it based on the japanese release... Hopefully it isn't as much as a mediocre filler as S2 felt

As a fan of S1 and the movie I'm definitely interested in it though

What annoys me the most is that this was an Xbox One exclusive that I was really keen to play. There were little announcements through 2014 and 2015 stating that it would finally get an English (and Chinese) release in late 2015. But now the English version is not coming out to Xbox One at all? That's dick.

What annoys me the most is that this was an Xbox One exclusive that I was really keen to play. There were little announcements through 2014 and 2015 stating that it would finally get an English (and Chinese) release in late 2015. But now the English version is not coming out to Xbox One at all? That's dick.
I understand where you're coming from, but is there even a VN audience on XB1? From what I know it's all on Sony stuff.

I understand where you're coming from, but is there even a VN audience on XB1? From what I know it's all on Sony stuff.

Oddly enough yeah. The Japanese Xbox 360 is actually filled with 360 exclusive Japanese Visual Novels. Even the biggest titles such as: Steins Gate, Robotics Notes and Chaos; Head were actually original 360 exclusive titles. There's loads on that system(If you have access to the Japanese marketplace)! I have played a bit of Psycho Pass on Xbox One as well as Chaos; Child, which isn't that great honestly. I was waiting for Psycho Pass to get an English update for nearly 2 years now but then they scrap it and it's only for Sony systems :(
That's really disappointing.

Oddly enough yeah. The Japanese Xbox 360 is actually filled with 360 exclusive Japanese Visual Novels. Even the biggest titles such as: Steins Gate, Robotics Notes and Chaos; Head were actually original 360 exclusive titles. There's loads on that system(If you have access to the Japanese marketplace)! I have played a bit of Psycho Pass on Xbox One as well as Chaos; Child, which isn't that great honestly. I was waiting for Psycho Pass to get an English update for nearly 2 years now but then they scrap it and it's only for Sony systems :(
That's really disappointing.

Also an exclusive (albeit controversially bad) Ever17 remake on X360 >_>

But I'm more salty about all the PSP and Vita ports that aren't getting a TL. (Kamaitachi no Yoru sequels, C;H Noah, especially Remember11, Never7, Ever17 and 12Riven ports, so many fucking more on both systems that it's not even fucking funny)

Also, does this VN require knowledge of said anime? Sounds interesting but I'm not much for anime.

Top Bottom