• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

Depending on the member limit (if there even is one), I think it would be best if we fit as many GAFfers as possible into a main guild. That way no matter what time zone you're in there will be a good chance other gaffers will be on. If there are way more members than are permitted in one guild, we could always make a second guild led by someone dedicated. Name of the guild should be pretty generic, imo. Something like Gaming Age Forum [GAF]. Better than picking a random name that a lot of people won't like I think.
I support Jira for leader :p, that is assuming he'd want to lead a GAF guild.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Depending on the member limit (if there even is one), I think it would be best if we fit as many GAFfers as possible into a main guild. That way no matter what time zone you're in there will be a good chance other gaffers will be on. If there are way more members than are permitted in one guild, we could always make a second guild led by someone dedicated. Name of the guild should be pretty generic, imo. Something like Gaming Age Forum [GAF]. Better than picking a random name that a lot of people won't like I think.
I support Jira for leader :p, that is assuming he'd want to lead a GAF guild.
Honestly having 2 guilds doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I am still for just one guild. If you guys wanna make seperate guilds, that's fine, but gaf guild should have only one guild with one or more heads who are devoted to the guild.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I dunno. That's just me. Every time I've played a game with gaf, there is always one guild which you can count on and that is the gaf guild. Having more than one guild seperates gaf into sub comunities. It's like having gaf with sub threads. What makes us different is that we are all under one banner. And gaf guilds were never about being serious. They were just for hanging out.

Helmholtz

I dunno. That's just me. Every time I've played a game with gaf, there is always one guild which you can count on and that is the gaf guild. Having more than one guild seperates gaf into sub comunities. It's like having gaf with sub threads. What makes us different is that we are all under one banner. And gaf guilds were never about being serious. They were just for hanging out.
Like I said in my above post, I think the only reason to have more than one GAF guild is if we hit a limit on max number of players in the main guild.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Due to the situation of a guild being created for a forum community, it would be more prudent to form a selection of leaders rather than one single leader. The guild system supports this.

Like I said in my above post, I think the only reason to have more than one GAF guild is if we hit a limit on max number of players in the main guild.

In a video floating around of the guild UI, it showed 128 members in a single guild. I imagine that GAF won't hit whatever limit that ArenaNet impose.

Slavik81

Due to the situation of a guild being created for a forum community, it would be more prudent to form a selection of leaders rather than one single leader. The guild system supports this.

But what do we do when aliens attack and tell us "take me to your leader"?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

In a video floating around of the guild UI, it showed 128 members in a single guild. I imagine that GAF won't hit whatever limit that ArenaNet impose.
We will, for sure, need more than one leader. Not just for control but also for time zones. Also that limit should be more than enough if only gaffers are allowed.

Wallach

I have to imagine guild caps are probably enormous since they expect people to be in multiple guilds. If other games can handle 1k+ guild sizes with single-guild restrictions (like LotRO) then they should be doing the same in a game where single characters are in multiple guilds.

Helmholtz

Oh snap, awesome. I know GW1 allowed 1 leader and multiple officers, but multiple leaders is cool too I guess. If the cap is indeed that high then we should be good. The real question is, do we limit the guild to registered neogaf users only? I'm guessing we should. We could ask people to post their usernames in the future community thread to be added.

Jira

I should lay this out.

I've had plans on playing with long time friends since last year or so. So I'd be willing to co-lead or be an officer in the GAF guild since I can easily come and go as I please. Being the absolute leader isn't such a good idea for obvious reasons. I know I wouldn't be able to WvW with you guys unless my friends and I ended up on the same server you guys did, but it's not a huge deal. I'm going to assume that you can join guilds on any server you wish and then can only represent a guild that is on the server you're currently on. If that's the case I'll gladly co-lead or be an officer, if not then I'll be playing with long time friends. It's nothing personal, but I know them a lot better than you guys so I'm sure you understand.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Since all my freinds(2 =\ ) who will play this game are already gaffers and would prob join under the gaf banner. I can help police the guild if need be.

@jira. I am sure people understand how you feel. I know I do.

Ferny

Yeah Jira was kind of indicting he will have some longtime friends whom he will play with on a more consistent basis when on so that's no problem though cause he can pop in and out to the guild as needed whenever he wants. Kayos also wanted to help run the guild, along with me, from a prior thread so the leadership was established in order to make sure not just one person held all the power and can help whenever is needed.

The whole thing is at such a new stage though that any guild stuff Is better discussed atleast closer to/and or after beta. Once more details are released and everything.

etiolate

Banned
I plan to have a guild that's made up of friends, a guild for PVPing and then one other guild. I could probably fit in a GAF guild, but it depends on their guilding limits.

In these post-beta discussions by the press and fans of other games, I've heard the question of endgame come up a bit. I'm curious to see how this plays out. I've said before that I don't think anyone truly enjoys raiding, but its all they know of endgame. There's just cool elements involved in raiding that people like and the rest is the gear treadmill and behavioral conditioning. I tend to get angry responses when I say that, but I am curious if people who feel they need a certain endgame will discover they may not with GW2.

It's not like GW1 didn't have endgame because it didn't have raids. That game was like eighty percent endgame and ANet's design for PVE got better and better with each chapter and expansion.

Jira

I plan to have a guild that's made up of friends, a guild for PVPing and then one other guild. I could probably fit in a GAF guild, but it depends on their guilding limits.

In these post-beta discussions by the press and fans of other games, I've heard the question of endgame come up a bit. I'm curious to see how this plays out. I've said before that I don't think anyone truly enjoys raiding, but its all they know of endgame. There's just cool elements involved in raiding that people like and the rest is the gear treadmill and behavioral conditioning. I tend to get angry responses when I say that, but I am curious if people who feel they need a certain endgame will discover they may not with GW2.

It's not like GW1 didn't have endgame because it didn't have raids. That game was like eighty percent endgame and ANet's design for PVE got better and better with each chapter and expansion.

People seem to think endgame is literally raiding and that's it. They also think raiding has to mean multiple groups inside of a special area just for them. Why not have 100 people out in the open working together towards the same goal and everyone getting rewarded for it rather than A. Hoping you even get things going, B. Hope you kill the boss, C. Hope your loot drops, D. Hope you win the roll/DKP?

Personally, my ideal challenging content is 5 people, small group content is the most engaging to me, there's a lot more weight on your shoulders with less people. It's far more intimate and exciting IMO.

Syrionus

Neo Member
Oh snap, awesome. I know GW1 allowed 1 leader and multiple officers, but multiple leaders is cool too I guess. If the cap is indeed that high then we should be good. The real question is, do we limit the guild to registered neogaf users only? I'm guessing we should. We could ask people to post their usernames in the future community thread to be added.

The problem with this is that if I join the guild and my GF and a few of my other friends want to join, then this eliminates that possibility. I understand that people can be in multiple guilds but I would like for all of my peeps to join with my other peeps.

Also, I think the guild name should be "Give A Fig." I seen it somewhere and thought it was appropriately humorous.

Nymerio

Yeah 5 people seems to be the sweetspot. I like to play with people I know personally and it's just too hard to get more than 10 people online at the same time. We managed to do it in wow a few times but it was almost impossible to get all 10 people online at the same time without anyone being too late or having to leave halfway through the game. Five people would be a lot easier to accomplish.

Jira

So it's not perfect, but hey it's pretty good. Top one is the unedited map, the second one has circles around every explorable zone in red and every city in blue. I count 26 explorable zones.

Original

XMrg5.jpg

Edited

07bDj.jpg

Jira

apparently a developer of GW2 is one of the founders of a FFXI site and promises everyone from that site a spot in the beta:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/28970/guild-wars-2-beta

http://i.imgur.com/DoEL3.png

Might be fake of course, but still.

Well that's a bunch of bullshit if true, I used that site and Windower, where's MY key HMMM? Also, if they can promise random people a spot, they must be throwing out tons of keys come first Beta. Regina did say they need tens of thousands to test WvW.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
My biggest issue will be whether ArenaNet decide to throw us a bone and place actual servers in to an Oceanic zone rather than simply slapping a label on a server, changing its timezone, and keeping the actual server located in North America.

It is not fun to PVP with a 400-500ms ping in a competitive scenario.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Well that's a bunch of bullshit if true, I used that site and Windower, where's MY key HMMM? Also, if they can promise random people a spot, they must be throwing out tons of keys come first Beta. Regina did say they need tens of thousands to test WvW.

Well I guess all you have to do is post there and you're in. I made a forum account and everything before realizing what the post requirements were. I get excited so easily.

Someone in the GW2 General on /vg/ (which I am constantly keeping track of) apparently just bought the game and is going to make a level 1 run to that auction house just for a supposed guaranteed spot in the beta. That sounds insanely desperate.

Jira

Well I guess all you have to do is post there and you're in. I made a forum account and everything before realizing what the post requirements were. I get excited so easily.

Someone in the GW2 General on /vg/ (which I am constantly keeping track of) apparently just bought the game and is going to make a level 1 run to that auction house just for a supposed guaranteed spot in the beta. That sounds insanely desperate.

:-|

Hopefully there will be news today on how many peple they need, when the actual event starts and when will they start contacting those that they want in the beta, since the sign up period ends this afternoon.

Jira

Hopefully there will be news today on how many peple they need, when the actual event starts and when will they start contacting those that they want in the beta, since the sign up period ends this afternoon.

Regina from ANet said they need tens of thousands to test WvW.

Boken

Banned
My biggest issue will be whether ArenaNet decide to throw us a bone and place actual servers in to an Oceanic zone rather than simply slapping a label on a server, changing its timezone, and keeping the actual server located in North America.

It is not fun to PVP with a 400-500ms ping in a competitive scenario.

I love us Aussies and all, but I dunno if there are enough of us...

Jira

Did they really say weekends only?
Please let me dream that we could get it monday, well atleast the announcement when we could get it.

Beta Weekends would imply they are indeed weekends only. Invites for the press beta went out on a Tuesday before the beta, take that as you will.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Did they really say weekends only?
Please let me dream that we could get it monday, well atleast the announcement when we could get it.

The beta is going to be conducted across several weekend events through March and April. Different sets of testers are invited for each weekend event, with the number of invites increasing each time. If you're selected for one, there's no guarantee you'll get into the next one. If you're not selected for the next one, you still may be selected later on. You only need to apply once though.

I'm estimating 3-5 weekend events before release.

Daante

People seem to think endgame is literally raiding and that's it. They also think raiding has to mean multiple groups inside of a special area just for them. Why not have 100 people out in the open working together towards the same goal and everyone getting rewarded for it rather than A. Hoping you even get things going, B. Hope you kill the boss, C. Hope your loot drops, D. Hope you win the roll/DKP?

Personally, my ideal challenging content is 5 people, small group content is the most engaging to me, there's a lot more weight on your shoulders with less people. It's far more intimate and exciting IMO.

This x thousand times.

Thats one of the main things i quit Wow, cause it took way to much of my spare time. If you wanted to do something "fun" aka raiding you needed AT LEAST 9 other ppl who would commit in the same time frame, for long game sessions every time.

I want to play when it suits ME, not commit xx amount of hours every week like some secondary job just to down a boss and MABY get a bigger e-pen from some new gear.

Beta weekends make sense, as they can collect a lot of data during the weekend, and process it all during the week or two leading up to the next beta weekend. Or they can focus test certain classes/races/areas.

This x thousand times.

Thats one of the main things i quit Wow, cause it took way to much of my spare time. If you wanted to do something "fun" aka raiding you needed AT LEAST 9 other ppl who would commit in the same time frame, for long game sessions every time.

I want to play when it suits ME, not commit xx amount of hours every week like some secondary job just to down a boss and MABY get a bigger e-pen from some new gear.

I'm the same way. Even though I liked raiding for the challenge, the amount of time it took and the low possibility that you will get something you want made it wear thin really fast.

My only complaint with this is that I am hoping there will be something more for endgame than pvp or going back and killing open world bosses. Yes these are fun, but they aren't really exclusive or something even particular to look forward to. I mean why level a character if the amount of content really isn't going to be any different from level 1 to level 80. Not saying this stuff won't be fun. I am just hoping they come up with something new for end game that will be fun and engaging. But this isn't just ANet/GW exclusive, I have been waiting for any MMO to come up with something new for endgame.

Jira

A nice compilation of quotes from ANet in regards to Dynamic Events.

1. Cyclical - "They're very cyclical in nature. They don't have a clear beginning or end."

2. Multidirectional - sensitive to player input - "Events are not just pass/fail. You don't just black and white succeed or black and white beat them. Based on how the players interact with the event means that whatever happens next is different."

3. Timebased - Some (not all) Dynamic Events will change according to player input at different stages once an event has activated (EG: beginning-middle-end) will lead to different directions of branching (depending on the specific DE)

4. Layered - Some DE chains will lead to the same locations and even run parallel to each other leading to some emergent gameplay and kick off further DE chains in other areas. EG: "Particular events in this area involve dozens of different events, all contained within various chains." "Almost all the events in the game are part of chains that branch off into different directions depending on the actions the players take."

5. Triggered - Some Dynamic Events will happen with some regularity on their own (players or no players) while others are triggered by players (different triggers available) and yet some others are entirely random. Events react to the (game)world, not to individual players.

6. Persistent - Events will progress regardless of whether players are participating in them or are even in the area and may cycle for different durations. Events occur pretty frequently so an empty map wouldn’t stay that way for very long.

7. Scaling - More mobs spawned, more skills unlocked for mob(s), higher mob levels, more conditions or for more players to win/lose an event allows proportional challenge to player numbers/damage output etc

8. Combinations - "These event cycles vary dramatically on a case-by-case basis. In some large event chains, depending on player participation and the outcome of events, the chain could go entirely from one end to the other over the course of hours before it cycles back. In other cases, the event may change the world for 10-15 minutes before it can cycle back around. Some events only occur when specific conditions are met, like a snow storm rolls into the map, or night falls over the graveyard. If an event reaches one end of the chain, it could sit at that point for days, weeks, or months until a player comes along and decides to participate in the event chain. We’ve tried to vary the conditions that trigger events and change the length and variety of the event cycles so that everything feels organic and unique."

9. Rewards: Success/Failure both lead to rewards (different amounts) and proportional participation and intangible-exchangables (gold, xp, karma) and medals of completion/achievement. "If a player or group of players were to figure out a way to cause an event to fail, it would often just cause another different event to pop up."

Can two events that run parallel to each other influence each other?

Colin: Yes, they can! At times, our dynamic event system can create situations where events can overlap, creating these really interesting moments of emergent gameplay. For example, one group of players could be escorting a merchant to the town of Beetletun with a shipment of beer from Divinity’s Reach. When they get near Beetletun, the players could discover that Beetletun is currently under attack by centaurs and the players can join in the battle to save the town. Saving the town not only liberates the now grateful citizens, but also allows the beer shipment to reach the now even more grateful citizens! The merchant will set up shop in town and a new beer merchant becomes available for a while, all due to the players completing two events that ended up running in parallel and influencing one another.

Also, a quote from a dude who played the press beta:

The final thing to consider is that perhaps the players simply didn't know everything that was going on. That is perfectly understandable, they are brand new at the game. However, I can say from personal experience that in the first human zone there are events that pop up when the fields can't get watered. You kill the things that come and help feed the crops. Event done. But wait, if you just leave and come back... well look, the fields aren't watered, the event didn't change anything. That's because you didn't go investigate why the sprinklers were off. If you had followed the pipelines, you would find that there were oozes clogging it up. If you kill them and harvest from them, you can then clear up the water system. This in turn will affect the crops and change what events happen there. It is entirely possible to miss these things, but it doesn't mean that they aren't there.

Boken

Banned
You guys had weird WoW experiences. I fucking loved my WoW guild.

^Dynamic events sound very well implemented, colour me impressed.

Might try and steal this as an avatar if no one has called it.

You guys had weird WoW experiences. I fucking loved my WoW guild.

^Dynamic events sound very well implemented, colour me impressed.

Don't get me wrong, I loved raiding and I had an amazing guild, but raiding overall just got old after a while. Especially during WotLK. I'm actually hoping my old WoW guild will be playing GW also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom