• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTIX

You're misunderstanding me. I'm referring to how I'm glad it's in Guild Wars 2 natively for all abilities it applies to. =p

I'm just saying there's really no such thing as mouseover casting for the UI since there aren't any spells that can be targeted on an allied target anyway.

It's a bit unfair that Humans get such an amazing city. Most likely going Human Thief to have my home neighbourhood there. Might even play a male, really impressed with their faces, much more variety than the females.

By the way, how about: Guild Age Forum/Force/Forever/F-somethingelse

Kade

If developers designed a worthwhile mmo maybe we'd stick around!

I'm referring to the countless Guild Wars GAF guilds that were created and forgotten in a month or two but I could apply it to a few WAR guilds, Rift guilds, etc. :/

Hopefully GW2 should be fine since we don't need faction or server specific guilds.

Helmholtz

I'm referring to the countless Guild Wars GAF guilds that were created and forgotten in a month or two but I could apply it to a few WAR guilds, Rift guilds, etc. :/

Hopefully GW2 should be fine since we don't need faction or server specific guilds.
Problem with GW1 guilds: It wasn't an mmo, and once you beat a campaign there weren't all that many reasons to keep playing. No monthly fees made it even easier to quit until the next expansion came out. Now add the fact that you can only be in one guild at a time, and a lot of people tended to leave guilds for bigger and better ones.

gunbo13

Chilled condition spamming from necros and eles will be the biggest troll I can see right now. Dual weapon set necro with chillblains and spinal shivers especially needs to be banned from the planet.

Chilled: 66% slower movement, 66% slower recharge
Chillblains (staff): 4 sec duration, 20 sec CD
Spinal Shiver (focus): 4 sec duration, 20 sec CD
Deathly Chill (lich form): 0 sec CD
Chill of Death (trait): Free chillblains cast at 25% health
Staff Mastery (trait): 15% less CD

And there are a few other unverified necro traits which make conditions last longer (chilled being a condition). The movement sucks but huge uptime of 66% slower recharge? Those 4+sec chunks, gg. Necros are going to make mesmers look like play-dates.

nataku

Fair enough but if this business model killed GW1, will they change something about it? I know GW1 wasnt really a MMO but will GW2 (which is a MMO) change that.

I don't think they'll go with the campaign model again. I can't remember where I read it, but I know they didn't like having to re-create the starter/tutorial areas over and over again to explain the way the game worked for new players.

I'm expecting basic expansion packs in GW2.

EDIT: Underwater PvP! Sounds fun.

erragal

Chilled condition spamming from necros and eles will be the biggest troll I can see right now. Dual weapon set necro with chillblains and spinal shivers especially needs to be banned from the planet.

Chilled: 66% slower movement, 66% slower recharge
Chillblains (staff): 4 sec duration, 20 sec CD
Spinal Shiver (focus): 4 sec duration, 20 sec CD
Deathly Chill (lich form): 0 sec CD
Chill of Death (trait): Free chillblains cast at 25% health
Staff Mastery (trait): 15% less CD

And there are a few other unverified necro traits which make conditions last longer (chilled being a condition). The movement sucks but huge uptime of 66% slower recharge? Those 4+sec chunks, gg. Necros are going to make mesmers look like play-dates.

I saw the 66% slower recharge for Chilled earlier and was astounded. Just from a numbers standpoint it's far and away the most debilitating of all the conditions. Fortunately my main will be a Guardian and condition removal will be all over the place for me but the other classes aren't so lucky. Teams of necros and elementalists chilling each other then sitting around spamming basic attacks will be amusing I suppose!

Retro

I'm expecting basic expansion packs in GW2.

Yeah, I think we'll just see the world expand, the level cap go up, new PVP and WvW maps, etc.

Maybe new professions or races if they don't throw off the balance too much, but likely a couple new weapon types so that every profession gets something new.

This game looks VERY interesting...honestly the most interesting mainstream MMO to come out since WoW.

The only issue I have is just how they will keep players hooked. With no carrot to go after, is this going to be played like a Call of Duty or something of that ilk? I don't understand how exactly the game will keep me coming back after I play it for 3 months~ and go through all the content.

There has to be a hook....i mean it's an MMO! Where is the hook!

Xyber

Oh my god. The footage outside/inside Divinity's reach starting at 4:00 brought a tear to my eye. I'm 100% picking human for my first race. That stuff looks like pre-searing on crack.

Wow, that part at 4:00 looks amazing. I guess I will be starting out with Human Necromancer or Elementalist.

Ashodin

uZj40.png

Logo 1.0.

Anyone likey?

Loving listening to these guys talk.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/live/

Devs talking about stuff.

Retro

Despite there not being much new information from that discussion at all, it's still nice to hear the devs getting excited despite getting fucking hammered by this weekend's press event (and I'm sure the internal fallout from it was insane too) and saying how much they appreciate and love the community.

Good stuff.

etiolate

Banned
Some of our more astute fans asked about the complications involved with switching servers and how it would interact with world bonuses. Every account has a home server where your characters are created. You can only fight for your home world in WvW. You can visit other servers, and while you are visiting, you still get the world bonus from your home world instead of the bonus for the world you are visiting. If you switch your home server, you lose the bonus from your previous home world and are not eligible for the bonus for your new server at least until the beginning of the next battle for the Mists. We may extend this disqualification into the next match or possibly even longer to discourage people from switching servers right before a battle ends in order to get an awesome bonus. You will have to pay a fee to change your home server (price undetermined), and that will also discourage people from server hopping to chase world bonuses.

So server switching isn't entirely free. If you want to server switch for WvWvW, you have to pay. This sort of goes against their balance idea, as the costly server switching will still allow a server to remain beefed up and dominate others without a free way for populations to balance themselves.

gunbo13

I saw the 66% slower recharge for Chilled earlier and was astounded. Just from a numbers standpoint it's far and away the most debilitating of all the conditions. Fortunately my main will be a Guardian and condition removal will be all over the place for me but the other classes aren't so lucky. Teams of necros and elementalists chilling each other then sitting around spamming basic attacks will be amusing I suppose!
Yea, well the necro has it out for you as well (and probably me). A properly set up necro will give guardians nightmares.

Feast of corruption: Strip boons every 10s
Corrupt boon: Turn boons into conditions every 21s
Well of corruption: Turn boons into conditions every 2s for 8s well duration

Mesmers need a stupid clone to strip boons or a 45s CD support skill. Only thing mez got on necro right now is illusionary mage which applies confusion to enemies, retaliation to allies. Still a shitty clone though. Necros are mean as shit. Not only can they use death shroud, not only can they use marks, not only can they summon minions, not only can they create wells, not only can they spam fear, not only can they life steal, not only can they destroys boons, not only can they upkeep chilled, but they can even support teammates.

wxVFEl.jpg

MEAN

nataku

So server switching isn't entirely free. If you want to server switch for WvWvW, you have to pay. This sort of goes against their balance idea, as the costly server switching will still allow a server to remain beefed up and dominate others without a free way for populations to balance themselves.

I'm assuming that is a gold fee and not a microtransaction.

Also, it says you can move to a different server as a visitor for free but changing your home server permanently will cost you.

20yearoldnerd

Neo Member
I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me here, but from the beta footage and what I've read, the game appears to be a couple more month away. More like october-november. Hopefully not, but I want it to be perfect, so if it's delayed, be my guest.

This game looks VERY interesting...honestly the most interesting mainstream MMO to come out since WoW.

The only issue I have is just how they will keep players hooked. With no carrot to go after, is this going to be played like a Call of Duty or something of that ilk? I don't understand how exactly the game will keep me coming back after I play it for 3 months~ and go through all the content.

There has to be a hook....i mean it's an MMO! Where is the hook!

You might not be able go through the content as fast as you're thinking. They will also add expansions eventually and there is always PvP/WvWvW. Some of the content you won't even see until a few months later due to some events needing to take a long period of time to reset.

I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me here, but from the beta footage and what I've read, the game appears to be a couple more month away. More like october-november. Hopefully not, but I want it to be perfect, so if it's delayed, be my guest.

That does seem to be the case since they're still adding new features like the Meta events. I'd expect to see it by summer though.

Jira

Also, it says you can move to a different server as a visitor for free but changing your home server permanently will cost you.

To be honest I'm guessing it's a real money fee, I'd be surprised if it were an in-game currency fee.

nataku

I dunno. In that gamebreaker interview that was just live they said the feedback from the beta weekend was so positive they just said let's go for it and pulled the trigger on beta signups. It sounds to me like things are going really well for them.

Jira

I dunno. In that gamebreaker interview that was just live they said the feedback from the beta weekend was so positive they just said let's go for it and pulled the trigger on beta signups. It sounds to me like things are going really well for them.

Yeah, they haven't seemed to have hit any hiccups so far and stuff is seemingly on schedule.

etiolate

Banned

Yeah, but you can only play WvWvW for your home server. Server switching for PVE is still free. I hadn't thought that it might be in game gold that they charge you to server switch, but I guess its a possibility. They should have specified that if so, as people are used to real money costs for server transfers.

nataku

Yeah, but you can only play WvWvW for your home server. Server switching for PVE is still free. I hadn't thought that it might be in game gold that they charge you to server switch, but I guess its a possibility. They should have specified that if so, as people are used to real money costs for server transfers.

Yeah. The first thought that came to mind when I read it was that it would be a microtransaction. It could go either way, I guess. Switching as a visitor for PvE for free makes sense but the whole home server thing is vital for WvW, so I'd understand if that cost me.

Jira

I really think it's real money, they gotta make income from somewhere and it goes a long way in stopping server hopping in conjunction with the wait period. Though who knows, maybe they have the wait period in place as the deterrent and it is a gold fee instead of real money.

Ashodin

Yeah that was awesome hearing how well things are going. Definitely sure that closed beta will be next weekend, not this one.

Varna

Any chance the animations will improve?

:/

Even with all the shitty low quality videos you can tell the animations look really great. They all look super fluid.

Movement looks a little floaty... remind of me Uncharted 1.

I know it's way to early to know but I do hope 2 580gtxs is enough to run this max settings at 60FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom