• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

You guys had weird WoW experiences. I fucking loved my WoW guild.

^Dynamic events sound very well implemented, colour me impressed.

I raided 7 days a week in Vanilla. Stopped in 06, picked back up in 07, got into a small 10 man guild. Stopped raiding later that year, got back into WoW in 09, raided in WoTLK, stopped in early 2010, picked it back up in mid 2010 through Cata, raided a bit there and quit in early 2011. Not since 07 had I been in any random guild, I've been in a guild with friends. Sadly, we were a small guild who were all great players, but the random people we had to bring along really screwed us. Cataclysm was a huge issue for us raid wise, it was painfully time consuming to get 4-5 people at times, then 1-2 of them usually sucked and made us wipe. Other times we couldn't get who we needed at all, I did have a shit ton of fun doing Omnitron though. We ended up getting to uhhh the blind boss dude and we just couldn't pull people together. At that point I was just bitter on the whole raiding scene because one idiot can fuck everything up and there isn't a god damn thing I can do to personally to fix it. My tanking abilities meant dick all in the grand scheme of things, I can't make you stand where you're supposed to.

Feep

Banned
Can someone direct me to a full compilation of awesome Guild Wars 2 art? It seems to be scattered about the web, and whatever that image was a few posts back I've never even seen before. I want to print stuff on canvas, dammit!

OTIX

You guys had weird WoW experiences. I fucking loved my WoW guild.

^Dynamic events sound very well implemented, colour me impressed.

Me too, I was in an amazing guild of funny, mature, skilled players back in vanilla and TBC. Working together for such a long time, competing with other guilds for server-firsts was easily the best gaming experience of my life. But something like that requires everything to fall into place perfectly to work at all, the right guild with the right people, the right game, the right competition, and most importantly having the required amount of free time to spend on it. Which is why I'd never be able to do it again, not until I retire anyway.

Very much looking forward to new ideas of what endgame can be.

Mulligan

Banned
Nice to see a fair amount of interest in the GAF guild, hopefully we can get something decent going and keep it running for a lenghthy duration.

I'll be have a guild with close friends but will be willing to help out with gaf guild in terms of organisation etc.

Does anyone know if there will be alliances between guilds in this game? With Guild Wars 1 I was in a guild that is in alliances with a couple of other guilds and you had alliance chat.

Hoo-doo

Banned
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Concept_art

Be sure to click Next 200, there's tons.

sogood.gif

800px-Asura_and_golems.jpg

800px-RichardAnderson19_concept_art.jpg

800px-RichardAnderson14_concept_art.jpg

Love the works of Richard Anderson and Levi Hopkins in particular.

Anyone here still part of a Guild in GW1? I still am busy most people rarely go on because my guild was mostly PvE an when we played a lot we pretty much finished everything, even Relm of Torment in Hard Mode (actually I missed out on that mission but I was there for Fissure of Woe and Underworld). We even got featured in the guild of the week.

I'm happy you can be in more than 1 guild because I want to be part of that 1 and also a GAF one if there is one.

Does anyone know if there will be alliances between guilds in this game? With Guild Wars 1 I was in a guild that is in alliances with a couple of other guilds and you had alliance chat.

I am not sure because I haven't played GW1 but I would think this would be outdone by the ability to be in more than one guild. Have a guild for your core group and then a joint guild with everyone in it sort of thing. I could be wrong though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yogscast Engineer spotlight

God this is going to be brutal, mechanically speak this is probably the most complex class with so many different facets.

Sigh, christ, within seconds he thinks a skill is a "PvP thing". UGH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHuaza6sfY&list=UUH-_hzb2ILSCo9ftVSnrCIQ&index=1&feature=plcp

What is up with the scantily-clad females who are replying to all these video's in my youtube side-bar?
Am I missing something or is this just the ultimate form of attention whoring for views? Have some dignity, woman!

Screen%20Shot%202012-02-24%20at%2014.53.25.png

Jira

What is up with the scantily-clad females who are replying to all these video's in my youtube side-bar?
Am I missing something or is this just the ultimate form of attention whoring for views? Have some dignity, woman!

It's this new trend with women showing their cleavage for hits and the hits make them money. They literally put up a "review" of EVERYTHING popular, doesn't matter what it is. If a video hit youtube of a horse fucking a beaver, they'd review it.

Wallach

This shit is a plague right now. So dumb.

God this is going to be brutal, mechanically speak this is probably the most complex class with so many different facets.

Sigh, christ, within seconds he thinks a skill is a "PvP thing". UGH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHuaza6sfY&list=UUH-_hzb2ILSCo9ftVSnrCIQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Always play Warrior types in RPGs and I played a Warrior in GW1 but this time I think my main will be an Engineer. They are the most different from typical fantasy RPG classes or professions. I hope I get into this BETA!!!!

Arken2121

I am not sure because I haven't played GW1 but I would think this would be outdone by the ability to be in more than one guild. Have a guild for your core group and then a joint guild with everyone in it sort of thing. I could be wrong though.

I think there will be unofficial alliances since there's no system in the game. Maybe we can band the gaf guild with some other guilds who may be close to some gaffers or something of a sort.

Ashodin

Only reason I brought up having a subsect of it was because in the other thread, you said you were starting your own GAF guild for people who wanted to play late at night. Was that not you? Sorry if i'm confused.

Actually - you're right about that, and considering there's multiple guilds, I forgot about my awesome late night GAF Guild name: Nightwatch! (It's an awesome russian movie.)

But I like the idea of having one guild because we'd have so many on all at one time.

If you're in multiple guilds, can you earn stuff for each guild at the same time?

Beta Weekends would imply they are indeed weekends only. Invites for the press beta went out on a Tuesday before the beta, take that as you will.

Yessssss, they do that because they have to download the 20gb client and install!

Yeah, I've been seeing that all over. They're riding by the seat of their boobs.

Jira

Nice, the PS2 version looks pretty good.

It would appear they had to turn down their settings, some of the press had issues with Fraps and it was causing large FPS issues.

Also, something I noticed is GW1 on high looks better than GW2 on what I presume is low settings. That could mean scaling is insane and really won't require much at all for hardware as they've said.

Note the difference between that video and this (which is the highest settings)

Arken2121

It would appear they had to turn down their settings, some of the press had issues with Fraps and it was causing large FPS issues.

Also, something I noticed is GW1 on high looks better than GW2 on what I presume is low settings. That could mean scaling is insane and really won't require much at all for hardware as they've said.

Note the difference between that video and this (which is the highest settings)

Looks incredible. It's good to hear Anet keeping their word on the specs.

Ashodin

I was having trouble finding an answer to this, is it possible to unequip a trait with how they currently work?

Only the major traits once you unlock them. the minor traits are permanent once you get them. (until you respec your traits of course, which can be done at ANY TIME, for FREE.)

gunbo13

Hmm... The 7 kits certainly open up a monster amount of options. The tool kit though supports turrets. So if you use it, then you won't have many more kits since you will need turrets on utility. The med kit is straightforward leaving 5 kits for mix-ups. Grenades and mines clash. Bombs are very situational, mainly for trapping key points. Flamethrower and elixer gun are the most interesting. The issue is that most of these are damage options and you still have more on top including your main weapons. So I would assume that you might realistically bring a few kits, such as grenades and the flamethrower.

Technically though, that's not very difficult multi-tasking since you are switching hats. So you don't have to worry much about mix-ups from many places. Something like a necro or guardian appear to be way more complex to manage. I already went on about the necro but the guardian has serious tasking. Virtues, boons, chaining, shouts, spirit weapons, wards, symbols, support, elite tomes, and signets is quite the clusterfuck. And many of those, if not nearly all, will require management simultaneously where the engineer can switch hats. Engineers appear to be more like eles. A ton of options but you are able to manage them section-ally.

I kind of predict the complexities with these tiers:
[Guardian, Necro]
[Elementalist, Engineer]
[Mesmer, Warrior]
[Ranger, Thief]

Grokbu

Only the major traits once you unlock them. the minor traits are permanent once you get them. (until you respec your traits of course, which can be done at ANY TIME, for FREE.)

Yep, major traits can be changed out, minor kits are locked into the trait lines.

Hrm, so that means that it is technically possible to change all traits, but only the major traits can be changed on the fly?

Being able to respec for free is great btw.

Ashodin

Hrm, so that means that it is technically possible to change all traits, but only the major traits can be changed on the fly?

Yeah think of it like this:

-----<>-----[]-----<>-----[]

The brackets are interchangeable - the arrow brackets are not. Meaning you get to change out two of the traits.

You get 70 points to dump into trait lines (at max level) - 30 can go into two lines, and 10 into another.

Jira

No, the minor traits can't be changed at all, if you put 5 points into say Curses, you get the first minor trait which is

Barbed Precision Critical hits cause bleeding

Then 5 more points you can choose 1 of

Deep Breath 15% Warhorn Cooldown reduction
Spectral Attunement Spectral skills have longer durations
Lingering Curse Conditions from scepter skills last longer
Withering Precision Chance to cause weakness on crits
Reaper's Precision Gain Life Force when you do a Critical hit
Toxic Landing Create a poison cloud when you take falling damage
Terror Your fear does damage

Every point in a Trait line will get you stat bonuses relevant to that line, for Curses it's:

Curses

per point:

+10 Precision

+10 Condition Damage

You can respec at any time within WvW and the competitive PvP lobby. That I know of you have to go to a trainer to respec in PvE.

Arken2121

Yeah think of it like this:

-----<>-----[]-----<>-----[]

The brackets are interchangeable - the arrow brackets are not. Meaning you get to change out two of the traits.

You get 70 points to dump into trait lines (at max level) - 30 can go into two lines, and 10 into another.

Pretty extensive system, makes most if not all other games rather undesirable to those who like to finely tune their character.

Retro

For what it is worth, a few thoughts regarding GAFGuild. Bullet points in Boldface.

1. GAF already has a great forum, a Mumble server, and a real sense of community; if there needs to be an "Official Home" for GAFGuild, it should be GAF. If non-GAF people join the guild for whatever reason, it's just something they'll have to deal with and they will definitely be in the minority. It's not like the game itself doesn't have tools for organization.

2. People are going to want to be in other guilds with friends. Nothing is going to change that. For the people who are in a different 'main' guild, GAFGuild can be a chatroom or a pool of cool people to play with. The fact that you can multi-guild is already giving us a ton of freedom. People should not be forced to make GAFGuild their only guild.

3. Leadership should be spread across multiple individuals if at all possible. It means guild managers are available more often at different times and can offer multiple viewpoints on something so one person doesn't get stuck making decisions. This position should be merit based (if you're helpful, available, knowledgeable and willing, etc.).

3a. Leadership should not be class-based; in the past I've seen guild drama over the "Warrior Class Leader" telling other warriors what to do, act like they're the "Best" warrior, etc. Since there's room for different opinions on builds, strategy, etc., there shouldn't be a single person that people think represents the final word on their class.

3b. Keep the ranks simple; GAF Membership is already a good indicator that someone is not a dick, so everyone should automatically be a "member", then leaders are pulled from that rank. This also helps to prevent people from feeling like they're higher or lower than others.

3c. Anyone with full access to vital guild content (Guild Bank, etc.) should be required to have higher security (authenticators, whatever). Seen too many stories of Guilds getting hacked.

4. We should probably just use GAF's rules regarding behavior; no racism or hate-speak, but adult conversation, profanity and such is fine. This ensures that if you can act like you do on GAF and keep your membership, you should be fine in GAFGuild. I don't want to log in and feel like I can't make a dirty joke because somebody's kid sister is on.

5. I'm in favor of a Zero Tolerance rule on Bitch Drama. There are going to be disagreements, to be sure, but people who start petty shit, hold grudges, sow seeds of discord, etc. are bitches and thus creating Bitch Drama.

Finally, I was stuck running guilds in the past and I really don't enjoy it. I don't think very many people do. I would be okay being an officer or something if needed since I'll probably be on a lot and I follow the game pretty closely, but I don't want to be the guy trying to make sure shit gets organized. I want to log in and play, not log on and have to sort through everyone's problems. Luckily, GW2's approach to content looks like it won't require much management.

Arken2121

For what it is worth, a few thoughts regarding GAFGuild. Bullet points in Boldface.

1. GAF already has a great forum, a Mumble server, and a real sense of community; if there needs to be an "Official Home" for GAFGuild, it should be GAF. If non-GAF people join the guild for whatever reason, it's just something they'll have to deal with and they will definitely be in the minority. It's not like the game itself doesn't have tools for organization.

2. People are going to want to be in other guilds with friends. Nothing is going to change that. For the people who are in a different 'main' guild, GAFGuild can be a chatroom or a pool of people to play with. The fact that you can multi-guild is already giving us a ton of freedom. People should be forced to make GAFGuild their only guild.

3. Leadership should be spread across multiple individuals if at all possible. It means guild managers are available more often at different times and can offer multiple viewpoints on something so one person doesn't get stuck making decisions. This position should be merit based (if you're helpful, available, knowledgeable and willing, etc.).

3a. Leadership should not be class-based; in the past I've seen guild drama over the "Warrior Class Leader" telling other warriors what to do, act like they're the "Best" warrior, etc. Since there's room for different opinions on builds, strategy, etc., there shouldn't be a single person that people think represents the final word on their class.

3b. Keep the ranks simple; GAF Membership is already a good indicator that someone is not a dick, so everyone should automatically be a "member", then leaders are pulled from that rank. This also helps to prevent people from feeling like they're higher or lower than others.

3c. Anyone with full access to vital guild content (Guild Bank, etc.) should be required to have higher security (authenticators, whatever). Seen too many stories of Guilds getting hacked.

4. We should probably just use GAF's rules regarding behavior; no racism or hate-speak, but adult conversation, profanity and such is fine. This ensures that if you can act like you do on GAF and keep your membership, you should be fine in GAFGuild. I don't want to log in and feel like I can't make a dirty joke because somebody's kid sister is on.

5. I'm in favor of a Zero Tolerance rule on Bitch Drama. There are going to be disagreements, to be sure, but people who start petty shit, hold grudges, sow seeds of discord, etc. are bitches and thus creating Bitch Drama.

Finally, I was stuck running guilds in the past and I really don't enjoy it. I don't think very many people do. I would be okay being an officer or something if needed since I'll probably be on a lot and I follow the game pretty closely, but I don't want to be the guy trying to make sure shit gets organized. I want to log in and play, not log on and have to sort through everyone's problems. Luckily, GW2's approach to content looks like it won't require much management.

Ah, sorry about that. I'm sure you meant well so I apologize for the rush response.

Retro

I agree with everything except making it your only guild. I rather enjoy the idea of joining multiple guilds in case you might have friends who are in different guilds. This way you can represent all of them.

Bah, I knew somebody was going to reply before I fixed that typo. People shouldn't be forced to make GAFGuild their only guild.

If you don't mind changing your post (just delete the quoted part if you want) so people don't get confused, that'd be awesome.

Ashodin

Bah, I knew somebody was going to reply before I fixed that typo. People shouldn't be forced to make GAFGuild their only guild.

If you don't mind changing your post so people don't get confused, that'd be awesome.

Yeah I caught it but I knew what you meant. Everything before it was praising multiguildship :p

Also, tell your wife we're totally starting the swingers' club! :p

Jira

Pretty extensive system, makes most if not all other games rather undesirable to those who like to finely tune their character.

Yep, ANet describes their combat/traits/skills system as a toolbox that allows you to choose the right tool for the job. You wouldn't try to use a screwdriver to break a window, but a hammer would do the job. The entire systems are built around experimentation, not spreadsheet pigeonholing.

Arken2121

Yep, ANet describes their combat/traits/skills system as a toolbox that allows you to choose the right tool for the job. You wouldn't try to use a screwdriver to break a window, but a hammer would do the job.

Unless that window is tempered glass. =) But yeah it's all about the individual being unique.

gunbo13

Necros and eles are in the lead of combo fields for x-prof combos.

Dark -> necro
Ethereal -> necro, suckmers
Fire, ice, lightning, water -> ele
Light -> a lot but mainly guardian
Poison -> necro, thief
Smoke -> thief

Still early but interesting. More layers added to the necros and eles. Dark is pretty nasty.
The entire systems are built around experimentation, not spreadsheet pigeonholing.
Math always wins in the end.

Jira

Necros and eles are in the lead of combo fields for x-prof combos.

Dark -> necro
Ethereal -> necro, suckmers
Fire, ice, lightning, water -> ele
Light -> a lot but mainly guardian
Poison -> necro, thief
Smoke -> thief

Still early but interesting. More layers added to the necros and eles. Dark is pretty nasty.

Math always wins in the end.

I can't tell you how interested I am to find out what all of the combos are. We literally know about 9 and the generic projectile or melee swings through a firewall/poison kind.

Retro

Ah, sorry about that. I'm sure you meant well so I apologize for the rush response.

Nah, no problem; you were reading my wall-o-text and disagreed with something I said, even though I didn't intentionally mean it. No worries.

Also, tell your wife we're totally starting the swingers' club! :p

Awesome. I'll probably roll Guardian, so I'll make sure to bring the Blade of Binding and Chains of Light if things get kinky.

Seriously though, my wife was always getting kicked out of our last guild (as a joke, of course) for terrible commentary. Her worst was "Do female Bards get Minstrel cycles?". I'll have to dig around and see if I can find any more screengrabs, our old guild used to collect them and create giant montages of off-color comedy.

Yep, ANet describes their combat/traits/skills system as a toolbox that allows you to choose the right tool for the job. You wouldn't try to use a screwdriver to break a window, but a hammer would do the job. The entire systems are built around experimentation, not spreadsheet pigeonholing.

That particular part of the interview last night gave me goosebumps; if you had been playing WoW with me 5 years ago, you'd have heard me say the same kind of stuff; "WoW gives you bigger hammers, it should give you a bigger toolbox", stuff like that.

Jira

No one pulls the math bullshit in an FPS though and from a mechanics and systems standpoint GW2 does have similarities.

Ashodin

Nah, no problem; you were reading my wall-o-text and disagreed with something I said, even though I didn't intentionally mean it. No worries.

Awesome. I'll probably roll Guardian, so I'll make sure to bring the Blade of Binding and Chains of Light if things get kinky.

Seriously though, my wife was always getting kicked out of our last guild (as a joke, of course) for terrible commentary. Her worst was "Do female Bards get Minstrel cycles?". I'll have to dig around and see if I can find any more screengrabs, our old guild used to collect them and create giant montages of off-color comedy.

OMG I need to see more of those jokes.

And I might try Elementalist to "bring the heat" as it were. LOL

Arken2121

That particular part of the interview last night gave me goosebumps; if you had been playing WoW with me 5 years ago, you'd have heard me say the same kind of stuff; "WoW gives you bigger hammers, it should give you a bigger toolbox", stuff like that.

Haha nice, well it would be welcome to hear such commentary.

Retro

No one pulls the math bullshit in an FPS though and from a mechanics and systems standpoint GW2 does have similarities.

I think theorycrafting is good and all, and to some degree I like plugging in different variables and seeing what shakes out. But with GW2's emphasis on more real-time combat, dodging, awareness and positioning, the math won't help you nearly as much because you're going to have to make snap decisions based on instinct.

Math will only take you so far; at some point, you're just going to have to know what you're doing (and I'm not implying that Gumbo or anyone else doesn't know what they're doing, by the way).

The FPS analogy works well here; you can know the effective range, spread, damage values, etc. of a FPS if you 'pop the hood' so to speak, but in the end knowing that won't help you snipe, shoot or survive. It's just not an edge when decisions have to be made in mere moments. Knowing how to set up your character and equipment to do what you want though is going to be vital, so nothing is going to drive math completely out of the game.

Ashodin

That's one thing I'd like to see disappear from GW2 (and hasn't been as prevalent here, probably on GW2Guru though) is theorycrafting. I think the game is going to be much much more about the skill of the player than the combos of skills and rotations and shit.

I want that gone.

Arken2121

That's one thing I'd like to see disappear from GW2 (and hasn't been as prevalent here, probably on GW2Guru though) is theorycrafting. I think the game is going to be much much more about the skill of the player than the combos of skills and rotations and shit.

I want that gone.

I completely agree. I'm sure everyone will be able to actually have their own build which reflects their play style and be effective just as anyone else.

Jira

I think theorycrafting is good and all, and to some degree I like plugging in different variables and seeing what shakes out. But with GW2's emphasis on more real-time combat, dodging, awareness and positioning, the math won't help you nearly as much because you're going to have to make snap decisions based on instinct.

Math will only take you so far; at some point, you're just going to have to know what you're doing (and I'm not implying that Gumbo or anyone else doesn't know what they're doing, by the way).

The FPS analogy works well here; you can know the effective range, spread, damage values, etc. of a FPS if you 'pop the hood' so to speak, but in the end knowing that won't help you snipe, shoot or survive. It's just not an edge when decisions have to be made in mere moments.

Exactly what I was thinking. Theorycrafting is inevitable, but you can only go so far when outside of Dungeons (and even then, they're not entirely static and you don't know exactly what you're getting into until you're there) there's no real static content you can say okay go to this place and use this on this. The entire game is unpredictable, theorycrafting requires 100% precise variables to really work out.

Gotta say that I wasn't that huge of a GW1 player but GW2 has me hyper hyped. That said I'm wondering if it's worth it to go back and try GW1 again, prolly not but worth a shot... right?

Ashodin

The FPS analogy works well here; you can know the effective range, spread, damage values, etc. of a FPS if you 'pop the hood' so to speak, but in the end knowing that won't help you snipe, shoot or survive. It's just not an edge when decisions have to be made in mere moments. Knowing how to set up your character and equipment to do what you want though is going to be vital, so nothing is going to drive math completely out of the game.

Yeah I agree with there will be SOME, but I really hope it doesn't take precedence over the playing the game itself like WoW did. It even got fucking ridiculous with Gearscore. WTF? I hated that shit.

I completely agree. I'm sure everyone will be able to actually have their own build which reflects their play style and be effective just as anyone else.

Which makes me absolutely happy. The fact they are giving every class tools to be able to support, control or damage makes it fantastic, and really breaks conventions.

Which is another reason why I think the GAF Guild will be strong - in most GAF mmo guilds I've been in, it's been terrible to try to organize players on for raids and such because the tank wasn't on or not enough healers. With the way GW2 does it, just pair up in groups of five, and GO.

gunbo13

You have only a select few variables in an FPS aside from mechanics. GW2 has a boatload. I remember in GW1 where people would break down the most ridiculous shit in training areas. Calculating DPS, spike damage, AoE range, etc... I remember a few people that would do this and what I always witnessed was thorough as hell. This is the "experimentation" part however it all is math based after finding behavior. Then this is all rolled into creating all the crazy builds/setups that are now famous in GW1's past. It all gets broken down eventually by the people who want to achieve build ceilings. I dabble.

Theorycrafting mostly comes from elite PvE and PvP. It's how meta and FOTM are born. Hate on it but some people like to achieve ceilings. That doesn't mean that there won't be 100 different options, just that they might be the "optimal" 100 different options. And nothing commands you to follow the flow. I don't see the worry though. With all the 3d space options, even optimal builds will only work on players who can use them properly. So copy-cats can easily fail even if they master the skill casting meta.

I personally don't care about personality. If I discover an optimal, then that's an identity right there. I'm not a loyal to character or environment type player. I'm going to break walls that can be broken and not gimp for anything. Just my take even though it is apparently a very unpopular one. Oh well, I'm already a pessimist. Might as well be a villain. ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I've been seeing that all over. They're riding by the seat of their boobs.
That dude skweezy did a funny rant about them. This phenomenon also may have an impact on which clips are shown as related videos. All of these have enormous amounts of dislikes, yet show up with high priority because they're "reply" videos and use a lot of keywords. Related videos of the same topic which are not replies to that specific video would be WAY more relevant in these cases and a lot of people are complaining to the Tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom