• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinKL

Reading the Google Docs that someone linked back, I got excited reading Player Drops drop the exact same stuff as mob drops! Never have to PvE again? :D Just make them drop uniques too lol

Jira

Q:Will WvW have any system to prevent "deathmatches" (mass mindless PvP fights) to make players focus in the objectives?

A:if you're just deathmatching you aren't gaining any score for your team. Score is only gained by holding objectives, capturing orbs, and killing dolyaks. So sure, you can deathmatch if you really want to, it just doesn't help your world's standing in the battle at all

GREAT job, really. THANK YOU.

Guys, anyone got links for the very best game play of the following classes:

1) Elementalist
2) Mesmer
3) Ranger

These are the ones I'm interested in most. I preferably want a video with voice over and explanations of whats going on.

Retro

Q:Will WvW have any system to prevent "deathmatches" (mass mindless PvP fights) to make players focus in the objectives?

A:if you're just deathmatching you aren't gaining any score for your team. Score is only gained by holding objectives, capturing orbs, and killing dolyaks. So sure, you can deathmatch if you really want to, it just doesn't help your world's standing in the battle at all

GREAT job, really. THANK YOU.

Doesn't make a difference. You don't win Arathi Basin by fighting on the roads like an idiot, but people still do it.

Trey

Guys, anyone got links for the very best game play of the following classes:

1) Elementalist
2) Mesmer
3) Ranger

These are the ones I'm interested in most. I preferably want a video with voice over and explanations of whats going on.

For the elementalist, you're best served just looking at some G* footage. There is some masterful ele PVP play. Outside of that, check the skills and traits video GWonline put up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Have siege engines continually rain death upon non-objective areas.

If you want to herp derp fight in between objectives enjoy giant rocks to the face.

Retro

They should just make it so kills outside of a certain objective radius just don't count for anything.

Still won't make a difference, even if you deny them the equivalent of Honorable Kills or whatever. Morons get all antsy in their pantsies and want to kill anything that moves. Once the bloodlust sets in you might as well be trying to herd kittens.

gunbo13

I was not even beginning to imply that 'not being able to make a bad build' meant that any build whatsoever would be acceptable in any group of players at any level of play. Clearly the existence of builds that are, in even tiny ways, better or worse than others, means that some are just not going to be accepted in high-level play, PvE or PvP.

*bad build snip*

The rest of the post mainly stems from that misunderstanding, I think.
Well, your previous statements were quite strong compared to this one. There was an implication there that, for example, a highly skilled player running a fire ele could handle rush-down melee attacks better then a low skill player running snares and blinds. Unless the latter can't hit his keys right, that's just not realistic.

Regardless, the only issue with the above is that someone who creates such a "bad build" is probably going to be vulnerable to "bad mechanics." I doubt your friend was on RAWR warrior level running that build. But yes, there should not be such a possible divergence. Yet...I'm not really sure what that really means. Isn't that just assistance towards players who have poor bar management? I mean, that's a good thing but not really something that matters when talking theorycrafting. I doubt a player that requires such assistance knows what that term means.

So I guess I'm not clear what your stance is now.

Jira

Q: Watching a WvW video I saw a full zerg slowly kill a single keep door for about 15 minutes, is this is a number you're happy with or will you decrease the time on such repetitive tasks?
I understand you want the enemy to have a chance to regroup and defend but maybe deathspam on guards or some warnings like in DAoC would help alliviate this problem?

A:We have already made a number of changes based on our last test, and this was one of the first things we changed!

Fantastic video. Thanks very much. The guy sounds like HuskyStarcraft lol. I lol'd hard when he mentioned protoss and Starcraft 2.

EDIT: This is too awesome. The mesmer looks like the most epic class ever. Holy shit. Think its my first choice.

Don't really like all the background noise. I guess ill keep looking.

Blackface

Banned
any video by "MikeB" will be the best video you can find. Almost everyone else in the "press" is terrible. I can guarantee many of them do not play MMO's. They keyboard turn, click their abilities and overall have no idea whats happening. The worst videos are by IGN.

MikeB's are a actually exceptional compared to virtually everyone else.

Jira

any video by "MikeB" will be the best video you can find. Almost everyone else in the "press" is terrible. I can guarantee many of them do not play MMO's. They keyboard turn, click their abilities and overall have no idea whats happening. The worst videos are by IGN.

MikeB's are a actually exceptional compared to virtually everyone else.

That one Warrior is still better, Mike does come in 2nd though.

Jira

Q: Is it possible to destroy a whole outpost, rather than to capture it?

A:It is possible to destroy walls that protect that outpost, or the gates. It is not possible to raze the tower to completely nothing.

Q:I've heard that any/all loot you get is scaled for your level.
Confirm/Deny?

A: Confirm

Does this mean that if you are playing in a higher level area then you are the drops will be same as you would get in a lower level area?

Mulligan

Banned
So based on the knowledge we have of classes, what do you guys think will be some strongly viable set ups for 5v5? (i know all set ups will be viable, but some will do things better than others)

Ele
Necro
Guardian
Thief
Warrior

I like the sound of this set up. You have the ele and necro for chill stacks, which with it's current effect i predict will be a real pain to deal with in PvP. Also they both have some great boons with ele granting swiftness, regen etc from attunements and necro having condition removals etc. Guardian and Warrior for their buffs and guardian for condition removals, also effective at defending objectives together with their heavy armour and the guardians shield wall abilities. Theif will come in useful with stuns etc and i just generally quite like their abilities, also poison stack with necro.

I can think of some other good combos but this one seems pretty strong.

Blackface

Banned
Does this mean that if you are playing in a higher level area then you are the drops will be same as you would get in a lower level area?

From what I have seen, I think it means if you are higher level, you can go anywhere in the world and have the stuff scale.

I have seen in the beta items drop that are higher level then the player.

Coxswain

Well, your previous statements were quite strong compared to this one. There was an implication there that, for example, a highly skilled player running a fire ele could handle rush-down melee attacks better then a low skill player running snares and blinds. Unless the latter can't hit his keys right, that's just not realistic.

This appears to be the problem. I thought it was quite clear, though maybe it wasn't, that when I talked about a 'bad build' versus a 'good build', I was talking about two characters that are ostensibly meant to perform the same role - not that a damage-dealing Fire elementalist should be able to do an anti-melee Debuff elementalist's job, or a Prot Monk outdamaging an Assassin, or whatever.

I was also speaking to the perspective of the 'average' player, not the sort who is playing the game on the sort of level where "theorycrafting" is of any use to them. My jaw-droppingly bad friend is an extreme example, but there are mistakes that people can reasonably make if they don't make the effort to analyze all aspects of their build, without necessarily being terrible players. The sort of person who may have chosen to take Flare on their fire elementalist in Guild Wars 1. It's generally a pretty awful idea to do that, and yet it's not immediately obvious why. For those people, Guild Wars 2 will be far less likely to make them feel as though the only way to properly play the game is to copy a build from PvX and play it exactly as prescribed.

Jira

Your loot will always scale to your level, so if you're level 15 and go to a level 50 zone, you'll get level 15 loot.

Jira

Q: what will happen if one server conquers the entire map?

A: The other two servers need to work together to beat them back.. We saw that very thing happen this weekend when green took the entire map. We were red and we decided that blue was not who we should be fighting. Within hours we has fought back and recaptured a large portion of the map.
Also, since servers get rematched every two weeks, that server will get matched up with other servers when the battle ends.

Coxswain

In general, or during this Q&A? I haven't been reading the thing that's going on right now, but so far I've heard of two places where microtransactions are involved: Transmutation Stones are apparently buyable (and also earnable in-game), and allow you to attach the stats of your super-hardcore-awesome armour to the appearance of your oh-so-pretty-but-weak armour, and there's a fee for switching the home server of your account (though you can visit other worlds at any time for free if you want to play PvE with people on other servers).

Jira

In general, or during this Q&A? I haven't been reading the thing that's going on right now, but so far I've heard of two places where microtransactions are involved: Transmutation Stones are apparently buyable (and also earnable in-game), and allow you to attach the stats of your super-hardcore-awesome armour to the appearance of your oh-so-pretty-but-weak armour, and there's a fee for switching the home server of your account (though you can visit other worlds at any time for free if you want to play PvE with people on other servers).

People speculate that like the microtransaction Tstones will have like charges so you can buy packs of them or something instead of using karma, but they'll be no different.

Jira

Q:Mike, as to further clarify please, do you mean 300 per server or 300 for each map (1200 max).

A:Each map, and we're doing our best to push that number higher!

Jira

Q: How much can lower level players realistically contribute in WvW?

A:Lower level players are bumped to 80. While going toe to toe with a level 80 will be difficult, you will still be able to compete.

Q:I've heard that it was quite laggy in the beta, so I have a few questions:
1: Is this just part of the rumor mill, or is it actually pretty laggy in WvW?
2: If it's true, do you see it improving upon commercial release?

A:It really depends on your hardware. I have a dell xps17 laptop that's about a month old and I almost never lagged all weekend, but i know a lot of people were having trouble. Optimizing the performance of the game is something our programming team is concentrating on right now!

Jira

Q:Are there any home server restrictions for competitive PvP? Am I able to team up with friends I may have on other servers to play conquest, or am I limited to people on my home server?

A:I don't believe there are restrictions for comp PVP.

Blackface

Banned
Seems to be, but it is more cosmetic stuff then "better". Could be wrong but that is what I have understood from different videos like some of the PVP Vendors.

No, it isn't like PVP gear in WoW. There is no "PVP stat". All gear in this game is the same. You can obtain gear from PVP, but it's not PVP specific items. By the same, I mean you won't find a "resilience" or "expertise" stat.

This is because in competitive PVP, gear makes no difference. Everyone has the same stats, is boosted to max level and has all their abilities. This is because they want the competitive PVP in the game to be an e-sport. To be an e-sport everything must be skilled based, not gear based. So gear makes no difference in competitive PVP outside of how you look.

Competitive PVP is 5 v 5 pre-made warzones. Which will have tournaments, rankings, and even the ability for players to create their own tournaments in game.

Then there is normal warzones, which are the same as the "competitive" ones but allow more players. They also work more similar to how TF2, CS, BF is setup. Meaning you can create one, with a map rotation, and continue playing on it much like sitting on a BF3 server. They also said they may implement fun options, like low gravity, or larger heads etc.. This is because it's made for fun and practice.

In WvW your gear matters. However there is no specific PVP stat to make PVP gear better. Gear is gear in this game. Gear is also designed to be similar at end-game, and only have cosmetic differences. Once again, this allows skill to trump someone who may just sit and grind out dynamic quests for 10 hours a day, or do 100 warzones a day. Skill matters, and in WvW gear does as well, but to a small extent. In competitive PVP, you can go in with rags, and your stats are the same as everyone elses.

Jira

So is there no PVP specific gear like in Warcraft?

There is, it just doesn't work like other MMOs. In fact, there's 192 pieces of PvP armor right now for each armor class, totals out to 32 sets each. Then you have weapons, no idea how many there are. Gear has stats, but it never increase past a certain point, instead you shuffle stats around. Like 50 vitality and 30 precision or 20 power 40 toughness. It's all balanced, no ever increasing tiers or treadmills.

How do you even know he's not talking about FPS?

He is talking about FPS, but calling it lag, which is where my annoyance came in.

He knows the guy meant FPS, most people call slow FPS lag. It's well known that people who recorded stuff in beta weren't getting the greatest FPS. Turning off Fraps fixed the issue.

Suppose I just wanted him to use the correct terminology.

no... it actually gets laggy because of all the **** flying around on screen as well.

That's not lag, that's poor performance leading to a low framerate.

Lag is when there's a network latency issue, and it has nothing to do with your PC hardware.

It seems to be a very commonly held confusion in MMO communities and it annoys me quite a bit.

Jira

Q:A few years ago I bought WAR for the open RvR. The problem was that they had these choke points in keeps where all of the players would need to gather and every time there was afight the server would crash. Can you say something that will reassure me that this game engine and servers will be able to handle scenarios where upwards of 100 players are in the same location?

A: Having played my fair share of War, I can say we do have bottle necks in some locations, but they are not stressed. We also do not have mechanics that take you out of the action as the area is to busy. There are multiple ways to assault 1 objective, and the way objectives are balanced it is better tactically to split your forces.

Jira

It comes with the territory, but it sounds like Anet is going to have a lot of balancing to do for the next five years.

They've already been in charge of balancing arguably the most complex PvP game on the market, I think they can handle half the skills as GW1. :D

Coxswain

It comes with the territory, but it sounds like Anet is going to have a lot of balancing to do for the next five years.

After GW1, keeping this game balanced is probably going to seem like a vacation (after they get the initial testing->launch growing pains out of the way).

Lanbeast

They've already been in charge of balancing arguably the most complex PvP game on the market, I think they can handle half the skills as GW1. :D

Oh, shit. I didn't even think about GW1 since I never tried PVP in it while I played back in the day. Good on this dude for answering questions, plus this is probably getting them a lot more press and people interested. Almost 1mil for the beta is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom