• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

If you want some lulz, watch this guys group wipe over and over to the last boss in the Catacombs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Plsd0eK36lY#t=2302s

His running commentary is hilarious and him and his group are horrible. Dear god man, you have more than 1 skill, you have 3 other attunements too, you don't just spam your utilities as you start dying, you need to move and dodge, STOP DYING dear god! At some points he got 2-3 shot, his end comments were that the dungeon was HAAAAARD. If he thinks the first dungeon in story mode is hard, he will probably fail doing the first trash pack of the explorable version. I do hope they fix the ability to run back into the fight like that though, they should close those doors.

Jira

Really amazing, I was just reading it took TOR 2 years to hit 3 million beta signups and GW2 hits 1 mil in 48 hours? Most impressive.

Blackface

Banned
Not completely people bored of TOR. There are millions upon millions of people who thought TOR looked like shit, and stuck with WoW. Some of whom are interested in GW2 now.

Ashodin

I love it. They simply have incredible enthusiasm and love for their fans and the game. They are what Blizzard used to be.

No, they are their own entity - amazing ArenaNet developers.

gunbo13

I love it. They simply have incredible enthusiasm and love for their fans and the game. They are what Blizzard used to be.

They nerfed oob monks. I will never forgive them.

Unless I get a beta key.

Retro

Nice save. Not even a comparison in my book. I've never gotten any sense of passion from hearing any Blizzard employees speak. Quite the contrary actually; I've seen them display some real ugliness towards their own fans at Blizzcon (meaning they were big enough WoWheads that they even paid to be there).

That Manifesto video, man... gives me chills even today.

we are the 99% and we want a beta key >=[

You know what's gonna be hilarious? I signed up, my wife signed up, my older brother and his co-worker signed up. I had to call my younger brother and nag him to register, and he still waited until the last minute to do it.

Guess who's gonna get a goddamn Beta Key and guess who isn't?

Ashodin

Nice save. Not even a comparison in my book. I've never gotten any sense of passion from hearing any Blizzard employees speak. Quite the contrary actually; I've seen them display some real ugliness towards their own fans at Blizzcon (meaning they were big enough WoWheads that they even paid to be there).

That Manifesto video, man... gives me chills even today.

You know what's gonna be hilarious? I signed up, my wife signed up, my older brother and his co-worker signed up. I had to call my younger brother and nag him to register, and he still waited until the last minute to do it.

Guess who's gonna get a goddamn Beta Key and guess who isn't?

Nobody releases a manifesto video. NOBODY

The part where the shatterer comes down, and the music with it.. I just came

I loved the first Guild Wars game was awesome. But now I have an iMac and no Windows won't be able to play this when it comes out which stinks.

KaoticBlaze

I loved the first Guild Wars game was awesome. But now I have an iMac and no Windows won't be able to play this when it comes out which stinks.

i have an imac as well and bought windows 7 about a yearn a half ago and am running it on boot camp....ive played WoW, Aion, DC universe, swtor, n gw1 on it perfectly...u should do that

i have an imac as well and bought windows 7 about a yearn a half ago and am running it on boot camp....ive played WoW, Aion, DC universe, swtor, n gw1 on it perfectly...u should do that

Yeah I need to get Windows 7. I have the steam games on my mac those are fine but the other ones like Guild Wars I would need that.

Nerf what exactly?

Yeah, I would say the power of the Mesmer will largely depend on the skill of the player. I don't see how anything it has is actually overpowered. Especially since Mesmer is wearing light armor for a class that often gets up close and personal in combat.

20yearoldnerd

Neo Member
March/April can't come soon enough. I wonder if they'll have all the other races locked (asura and sylvari) for the beta. The 2 races I want to play!

Retro

Nobody releases a manifesto video. NOBODY

The part where the shatterer comes down, and the music with it.. I just came

Nah, the part where Johanson says "We don't think that's ok" is pretty good, but the part that gets me going "FUCK YAW!" is Ree Soesbee is all "We built the game for them." A truckload more passion than anything ever expressed by the WoW Team. The actual gameplay stuff is great, but what gets me excited is just how excited they are about it. The interview they gave last night was devoid of any info, but they're all so pumped up about getting it in our hands (even after a weekend where I'm sure none of them got any rest, let alone sleep)... it's contagious.

Isn't Bootcamp an option? Surely running out and getting a copy of Windows 7 would be cheaper than a whole new PC.

Whats happening in March/April? That is when the Beta is launching? When do we get confirmation about who got in and who didnt?

I may be wrong, but Arena net mentioned that Beta Testing would ramp up in March and April after a Press Event (which we just had). So for the next two months, a magical e-mail may flutter gently into our spam folders like a lover's kiss, full of promise and a weekend spent in the dark.

Couldn't install Windows on my brother's linux box at times so we had to register his account on his laptop instead. Luckily he might just get in on the fact that he lives in Canada and is fluent in German. :p

Ferny

Nice save. Not even a comparison in my book. I've never gotten any sense of passion from hearing any Blizzard employees speak.

Really? I've had a chance to speak to a couple Blizzard employees who worked on WoW and Starcraft 2 first hand and I thought they were some of the most enthusiastic and genuinely excited for their own games. I guess it depends on the setting though...

Retro

Really? I've had a chance to speak to a couple Blizzard employees who worked on WoW and Starcraft 2 first hand and I thought they were some of the most enthusiastic and genuinely excited for their own games. I guess it depends on the setting though...

Maybe they're just burned out at Blizzcon or something, but watching their videos (especially anything where they have to field questions from the audience), I get the general sense that they'd rather be anywhere else. Maybe they just hate hardcore World of Warcraft fanboys. I can totally get behind that particular brand of logic).

Their big reveals and such, like new expansion packs? I never got the sense they were excited for people to be playing what they've been working on, it was always more like "Here you go, cool huh?" That's why hearing the ANet devs being so candid, open and enthused is like night and day.

Jira

Maybe they're just burned out at Blizzcon or something, but watching their videos (especially anything where they have to field questions from the audience), I get the general sense that they'd rather be anywhere else. Maybe they just hate hardcore World of Warcraft fanboys. I can totally get behind that particular brand of logic).

Their big reveals and such, like new expansion packs? I never got the sense they were excited for people to be playing what they've been working on, it was always more like "Here you go, cool huh?" That's why hearing the ANet devs being so candid, open and enthused is like night and day.

Yeah, just go listen to them talk during any interview or convention panel, they really do love what they do and talking with fans.

Ferny

Ehh honestly trade shows wouldn't be where most devs are at there highest point of excitement. Just like you said, all the hardcore fanboys giving them shit all day, i'd get irritated as well.

By most devs I don't mean ANet because those guys are so passionate about the stuff they make. It's really cool to see them on a panel because they ooze excitement.

KaoticBlaze

Yeah I need to get Windows 7. I have the steam games on my mac those are fine but the other ones like Guild Wars I would need that.

yeah i got mine from newegg for like 90 bucks i think it was...idk if its cheaper now since its been out longer...u might wanna check there first.

KaoticBlaze

Ehh honestly trade shows wouldn't be where most devs are at there highest point of excitement. Just like you said, all the hardcore fanboys giving them shit all day, i'd get irritated as well.

By most devs I don't mean ANet because those guys are so passionate about the stuff they make. It's really cool to see them on a panel because they ooze excitement.

thats what she said?? :-D lol

Ferny

or you could wait till windows 8 comes out.

I honestly would not wait. Windows 7 is stable and runs REALLY well on recent Mac releases. It does not use that much ram and it's compatible with a lot of software right now whereas windows 8 may take some time to become fully compatible at the same level as 7.

Ferny

Yeah but who wants to spend 90 bucks just to play one game.

I honestly have Windows on my iMac and hardly ever boot back over to Mac because everything runs so well on the windows side and I mostly play Dota2 and all that on the Windows side anyway. For one game only though, it may or may not be worth it.

KaoticBlaze

Yeah but who wants to spend 90 bucks just to play one game.

lol trust me i said the same thin b4 i bought it. then i bought it n i dont ever go on the mac side n e more....everything i use is on windows...the only time i switch back to the mac side is if im updating stuff which i do maybe once a month. plus EVERYTHING runs on windows....not everything runs on mac though so youd find more uses for it. youd get ur money's worth out of it :)

Grokbu

Yeah think of it like this:

-----<>-----[]-----<>-----[]

The brackets are interchangeable - the arrow brackets are not. Meaning you get to change out two of the traits.

You get 70 points to dump into trait lines (at max level) - 30 can go into two lines, and 10 into another.

No, the minor traits can't be changed at all, if you put 5 points into say Curses, you get the first minor trait which is

Barbed Precision Critical hits cause bleeding

Then 5 more points you can choose 1 of

Deep Breath 15% Warhorn Cooldown reduction
Spectral Attunement Spectral skills have longer durations
Lingering Curse Conditions from scepter skills last longer
Withering Precision Chance to cause weakness on crits
Reaper's Precision Gain Life Force when you do a Critical hit
Toxic Landing Create a poison cloud when you take falling damage
Terror Your fear does damage

Every point in a Trait line will get you stat bonuses relevant to that line, for Curses it's:

Curses

per point:

+10 Precision

+10 Condition Damage

You can respec at any time within WvW and the competitive PvP lobby. That I know of you have to go to a trainer to respec in PvE.

Sorry, GAF was acting weird for me earlier and wasn't able to reply. Just wanted to say thanks for the help!

Ferny

Sadly, that's one of the best PvP videos we have from the beta....

I mean, he actually weapon swapped and dodged!

One of the only videos related to PVP that he actually got downed and then killed someone and came back to fight. He actually displayed skill.

20yearoldnerd

Neo Member
Whats happening in March/April? That is when the Beta is launching? When do we get confirmation about who got in and who didnt?
It was hinted that the beta would be either March or April. All who signed to the beta might get the invite, though I don't think there is a confirmation for that.

gunbo13

One of the only videos related to PVP that he actually got downed and then killed someone and came back to fight. He actually displayed skill.
Except he wasn't even using death shroud even with maxed life force and when he had passive life force gain from signet of undeath... Didn't use dagger set for life stealing or staff for marks. Used well of blood on what looks like a PUG match. No life steal and 3 total wells...

Not sure what the plan was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom