• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Ducksboard site everyone is linking to doesn't seem to work here, I just see an empty page.

But still, close to a million signups in a 48 hour window? That's pretty insane, they must feel pretty great at Arenanet HQ right now.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Well, they said they needed tens of thousands of participants.

So, not considering factors like being selected based on your specs, everyone has like >1% to get an invite. That's.. not bad imo.

Jira

Q: how much does gear play a part in PvP?
would a healer and dps with full best-in-slot gear be able to sit on an objective and hold off a zerg of players in low-level gear indefinitely?

A: Gear is very important to your effeciency in PvP.
the class description healer and DPS don't really exist in GW2. Regardless of that though, 2 coordinated players could hold off an army depending on the gear, levels and play style, of the attackers. It would be very difficult though, do to everyone being able to resurrect.

Jira

Q: Is there any collision detection for pvp? Is it also possible to use the environment to 'block' certain attacks.
For example, a caster may have an ability that takes 3 seconds to finish. That caster starts the attack on me, but I decide to move behind a pillar. Will the ability finish?

A: there is some collision in WvW and you can also use the terrain to your advantage. Knocking players off cliffs, using a tree as cover, jumping into water from a very high cliff, these are just some of the things you can do!

Coxswain

World versus World is the casual PvP, where you enter with your PvE character and your level makes (some) difference in how powerful you are.
There's also structured PvP, which is the 'competitive' mode, where all players enter with maxed out skills, gear, traits, etc, available right from the get-go.

Ashodin

Dub vee Dub is gonna be the fucking awesomest shit ever.

It's like... seamless integration of PVE and PVP content.

It's... beautiful

nataku

There's been a lot of discussion about seeing enemy names in WvW. While I certainly understand the reasoning behind the request to see enemy names, we are fairly firm about not showing names of the opposing teams. I think of it this way, in a war people dont introduce themselves before trying to kill each other. When you are fighting in the mists for your world, you are in the middle of a giant war against two opposing forces who want nothing more than to take everything you own and kill you as many times as they possibly can. That guy who just shot you is not Bob the Engineer, he's the enemy.

Not showing enemy names in WvW also helps players that are less pvp-oriented feel less threatened about venturing into the battle because seeing enemies as anonymous 'invaders' creates a sense that opponents won't be able to recognize them and pick on them because of their lack of skill in a fight, so they in turn feel more embolded to go out and fight in the first place. Not showing names also makes it so people can feel as if they can 'hide' in a fight if need be, but still be around to help out. That's a pretty critical part of making WvW feel more inviting for people that would normally never think about playing PvP in any other game.

We've heard "I usually dont PvP, but I love WvW" again and again from people in our beta, so even though showing names might make for a more competitive pvp environment, we'd much rather create a game that is more welcoming for people that don't normally play the more hardcore PvP games. If you want to see enemy names and get to know the community of people you are fighting against, competitive PvP is the place to get that sort of thing in Guild Wars 2. WvW is the place where you fight with your friends and show your might against a faceless never-ending horde of enemies. It's not about taking names, it's about taking back that tower and claiming it for your guild so it can wave your flag right in the enemies face!

I really like their reasoning for not showing names in WvW. I don't know, it just makes sense to me.

Jira

Those maps are all objectives based though. Arena to me is like deathmatch.
"Conquest will be the only mode available at the game launch."

They've said they've done tons of testing on all game types imaginable and this is what they feel works best at the moment. They said they will release more modes later.

Jira

Q: I noticed in the beta that the amount of XP a player received from killing a hostile mob was equivalent to the amount of XP a player receives for killing a normal creature around their level. Is this intentional? If so, is WvW expected to take a player much, much longer to reach true max level as opposed to playing the PvE content?

A: It is intentional. We scale the rewards that you receive in WvW on the level your character would be in PvE. You can see your current level at all times in WvW, our level adjustment formula may bump you to 80, but you'll always get gear that's around your actual level.
Our goal is to try and make leveling speeds be roughly equivalent for wvw and pve.

gunbo13

For those people, Guild Wars 2 will be far less likely to make them feel as though the only way to properly play the game is to copy a build from PvX and play it exactly as prescribed.
The base topic was theorycrafting (that's what the post you originally quoted was referencing). So I was reading your post with that in mind. However, this appears to be a tangent and the response adapted to the tangent. Uh...my head hurts.

I'm out for now. Too much one-sidedness.

Jira

6926243899_20282bae20_b.jpg

Retro

Gonna be a lot of broken hearts, even if they pull in the "Hundreds of Thousands of players" they mentioned. I'm honestly surprised it isn't higher, but then... it was only over 2 days and had no notice whatsoever.

Jira

Gonna be a lot of broken hearts, even if they pull in the "tens of Thousands of players" they mentioned. I'm honestly surprised it isn't higher, but then... it was only over 2 days and had no notice whatsoever.

They mentioned tens of thousands, expect 20k at a min.

Retro

They mentioned tens of thousands, expect 20k at a min.

Yeah, I was about to correct my quote because "hundreds of thousands" didn't quite sound right to me, and then you went and quoted it for everyone to see my shame for all eternity.

I guess all we can do is hope for the best and wait for a release date.

Orayn

by utilizing this new-found information, and tapping into my vast reservoir of mathematical knowledge, i have derived this formula.

d7a08a78dd4d41a0293d2228881d2ed33c491d3d.png

Nah, x->1,000,000. Also, they'll probably select people by some voodoo method that favors the applicants with the best and worst computers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nah, x->1,000,000. Also, they'll probably select people by some voodoo method that favors the applicants with the best and worst computers.
But that number keeps increasing so really, it is an infinite sum.

But that number keeps increasing so really, it is an infinite sum.

Well it shouldn't be 1/x, more like 100k/x since they need much more people than 1 lol. However, depending on the size of x you can still approximate it to 1/x especially if x approaches infinity. Man, I got no life. In reality I think our chances to get in are about 10%.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seriously, infinite in the denominator is overpowered.

Retro

Happens often. Don't sweat it, I've been calling you Alice.

Ironically, I try to name my characters a variation of Alice, "Alys" from Phantasy Star IV. I think in GW1 I ended up with "Aless", and that's what I've had to use in WoW and LotRO too.

Now I'm gonna have to go check all the times you've quoted me to see if you changed those too.

Oh man, if beta is over spring break and I get in, I am fairly assured I will somehow merge and become a permanent part of my chair and a complete stranger to my shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom