• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see theorycrafting still being around when it comes to pvp, but even then I think it will revolve more around team build up and playstyle than just best build for pvp period. But for PVE I just don't see it being very prevelant at all. Which is a great thing. Weapon choice and skills on top of the different builds will make it pretty hard to see cookie cutter builds too often. Probably my favorite thing about the game I am looking forward to.

Ashodin

I'm always very interested in the matchups 1v1 though, if only because me and my friend Nick like to spar against each other.

gunbo13

I can see theorycrafting still being around when it comes to pvp, but even then I think it will revolve more around team build up and playstyle than just best build for pvp period. But for PVE I just don't see it being very prevelant at all. Which is a great thing. Weapon choice and skills on top of the different builds will make it pretty hard to see cookie cutter builds too often. Probably my favorite thing about the game I am looking forward to.
It mostly exists in elite PvE and PvP. Elite PvE because you get farmers who don't want to take excess time if they don't have to and PvP as it is competitive. Theorycrafting exists both on the individual PvP level and team PvP level. It ranges from optimization to gimmicks.

Coxswain

If the practice of people breaking down the mechanics into their exact, elemental pieces and figuring out to a perverse degree of accuracy (and fighting over) what is the exact optimal way to utilize those gameplay elements becomes reduced or goes away, you should be very, very worried, because the only case where that's actually going to happen is if the game turns out to be exceedingly shallow with no room for mechanical depth.

"Theorycrafting" doesn't exist in opposition to "Player skill" - you simply can't have one without the other.

Ashodin

I like discovering unique combos with my professions(classes) that work well. I'll try hard as fuck to make it work until I give up that it won't.

Like the Hammer guardian ability with the Ring. Ring a guy to keep him close for melee, launch him to the wall, switch to greatsword, bind him, lasso him back, slice him up, etc.

The game is super built for that type of crazy shit, and I LOVE IT.

Retro

I personally don't care about personality. If I discover an optimal, then that's an identity right there. I'm not a loyal to character or environment type player. I'm going to break walls that can be broken and not gimp for anything. Just my take even though it is apparently a very unpopular one. Oh well, I'm already a pessimist. Might as well be a villain. ;)

I don't think it makes you a villain until you start discriminating or antagonizing people who don't follow your particular route. I totally get the desire to have the 'best' character and that for some people, being a statistically better player is their idea of fun.

I also know that some people find fun in looking cool, having a certain strategy or gameplay style that isn't numerically perfect but personally entertaining, etc. I don't think you're some kind of monster for wanting to play that way, but I do think you'll continue to be in the minority amongst gamers.

I think we can all agree that the effectiveness of number-crunching will be diminished (but not entirely removed) by the more twitch-based gameplay of GW2 too. If something that is entirely cerberal (let's say Chess or M:TG) represents one end of the spectrum and entirely physical/instinctual games (let's say Boxing) is at the other, GW2 is going to be closer to boxing than any AAA MMO to date. As Coxswain said above, "Theorycrafting doesn't exist in opposition to Player skill - you simply can't have one without the other." You need both, but to varying degrees. GW2 just shifts that balance.

Ashodin

I don't think it makes you a villain until you start discriminating or antagonizing people who don't follow your particular route. I totally get the desire to have the 'best' character and that for some people, being a statistically better player is their idea of fun.

I also know that some people find fun in looking cool, having a certain strategy or gameplay style that isn't numerically perfect but personally entertaining, etc. I don't think you're some kind of monster for wanting to play that way, but I do think you'll continue to be in the minority amongst gamers.

I think we can all agree that the effectiveness of number-crunching will be diminished (but not entirely removed) by the more twitch-based gameplay of GW2 too.

Which is what you were referring to earlier with the Class Leader thing. I've always hated that too, because I had my own ideas, and they weren't the "optimized, official" ideas of the leader.

My friend Nick got harassed a lot on his warlock because of that.

It mostly exists in elite PvE and PvP. Elite PvE because you get farmers who don't want to take excess time if they don't have to and PvP as it is competitive. Theorycrafting exists both on the individual PvP level and team PvP level. It ranges from optimization to gimmicks.

I'm mostly refurring to it's possibility in GW2 though. Yes it will be around, that is inevitable. But with the amount of options and the disappearance of set roles opens up the possibilies completely. There will be optimum builds, but instead of just one best for pvp and one best for pve now there will be many bests for different situations and different playstyles. Or at least I think and hope from what we have seen so far.

If the practice of people breaking down the mechanics into their exact, elemental pieces and figuring out to a perverse degree of accuracy (and fighting over) what is the exact optimal way to utilize those gameplay elements becomes reduced or goes away, you should be very, very worried, because the only case where that's actually going to happen is if the game turns out to be exceedingly shallow with no room for mechanical depth.

"Theorycrafting" doesn't exist in opposition to "Player skill" - you simply can't have one without the other.

I agree the existance of it is great. But the absolute need to use it and the dependance on it also imo hurts the game and can deminish the experiance for a player if they change their playstyle to match the best build instead of making the best build for their playstyle.

Retro

OMG I need to see more of those jokes.

Alright, I pulled some of hers from the old Quoteboards I still had saved; she's "Burlesque", by the way.

242hm.gif

Saving quotes is something GAFGuild is gonna have to do for shits and giggles.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The one thing (literally the only thing) I miss from GW is the ability to have a secondary profession. I liked that you could look at a character and see their x/x and still only be able to guess as to what kind of skills they'd have. And some other classes' skills had such awesome implications when used for the playstyle of another. I loved my Illusionary Weaponry warrior.

http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite/34488/guild-wars-2-exploration-evenements-dynamiques

Third video. This is the popular "Warrior who knows his shit" video.

When I was looking for some more videos yesterday of the beta I came across this video in another forum, and it was funny to see everyone there was ripping this guy as if he was bad. I didn't understand, sure it probably isn't the best player we will ever see but it is easily the best player we have seen in this beta.

They were complaining about things like he wasn't dodging soon enough and when he was dodging he was cancelling out his own attacks and things. Just very nitpicky, not to mention he is going against higher level content.

Jira

When I was looking for some more videos yesterday of the beta I came across this video in another forum, and it was funny to see everyone there was ripping this guy as if he was bad. I didn't understand, sure it probably isn't the best player we will ever see but it is easily the best player we have seen in this beta.

They were complaining about things like he wasn't dodging soon enough and when he was dodging he was cancelling out his own attacks and things. Just very nitpicky, not to mention he is going against higher level content.

:-|

He's EASILY the best player who was in that beta that we've seen footage of, I can't fault him for anything he did.

Oh and the AMA on Reddit starts in 4 min.

Retro

I don't know if I have the stomach needed to suffer through Reddit-level conversation without throwing up, their users are the absolute worst and their threading method is just garbage. And they're sure to ask questions that have already been answered a dozen times too.

We gonna copypasta into the thread later or should I go grab a trash can and just weather through it?

I'm compiling it into a google doc, I'll post a link later.

I love you.

Jira

Squads are a way for larger groups of people to band together for a common goal. Squads are led by a commander, and that commander has the ability to talk to everyone in their squad in a chat channel that only the commander can talk in. Commanders can also place waypoints on the map that are viewable by all of their squad members. These waypoints tell the squad to do things like' attack here', 'regroup here', and 'bring supply here'. Squads are extremely useful in WvW, but they are also useable in PvE and are the perfect thing for taking down our epic world bosses.

AWESOME!

I'm compiling it into a google doc, I'll post a link later.

Ferny

Which is what you were referring to earlier with the Class Leader thing. I've always hated that too, because I had my own ideas, and they weren't the "optimized, official" ideas of the leader.

My friend Nick got harassed a lot on his warlock because of that.

I always thought class leaders were kind of pointless and mostly not needed myself.

Coxswain

I'm mostly refurring to it's possibility in GW2 though. Yes it will be around, that is inevitable. But with the amount of options and the disappearance of set roles opens up the possibilies completely. There will be optimum builds, but instead of just one best for pvp and one best for pve now there will be many bests for different situations and different playstyles. Or at least I think and hope from what we have seen so far.

There were many bests in GW1, too; in PvE, everything was predictable, but there was an optimum way to handle every individual task, and the optimum was different for every task. In PvP, there wasn't anything even close to a 'best' build until the game got flooded with so many skills and classes that balancing became Sisyphean, barring occasional, temporary cases of clear imbalance (eg. The original version of the Fragility/Virulence harrasser - although this was compounded by the fact that in those days, 8v8 at the flag stand was the normal, accepted way to play the game).

The strength that GW2 has that GW1 lacked is that there's no real way to make a bad character in GW2. The skill build options are quite limited, and the effects of most traits are relatively minor. The minimum level of effectiveness that you can give your character is still high enough that, even if you have, objectively, the worst possible character build for a given situation, the limiting factor for most players is still going to be how well they can actually play the game, and a good player with that bad build is still going to outperform a bad player who is using what is, objectively, the best possible character build for that same situation. Some of this is definitely due to GW2's increased suite of universal, build-independent, skill-based options like dodging, but a lot of it simply comes down to the fact that there's less meaningful variation between two GW2 builds than two GW1 builds. You really can't fuck up and end up carrying a bunch of hump skills into a fight - but you also can't do anything different with your chosen weapons from any other Warrior with the same weapons, aside from trait selection (the effects of which are relatively muted, compared to the colourful differences between skills in GW1).

Make no mistake - Guild Wars 2 is going to be far less mechanically complex (which is not to say, however, that it will have less depth) than Guild Wars 1, and that closes off possibilities. The trade-off is that it's closing off a far greater number of bad possibilities than good possibilities - and the gamble is that they're going to be able to make up for that loss of flavour by introducing new mechanics to compensate, like cross-profession skills and dodges.

Gotta say that I wasn't that huge of a GW1 player but GW2 has me hyper hyped. That said I'm wondering if it's worth it to go back and try GW1 again, prolly not but worth a shot... right?

Same here. I actually hated Guild Wars 1 largely cause everything was instanced. It never felt as epic as WoW did. Guild Wars 2 however looks godly.

Trey

There were many bests in GW1, too; in PvE, everything was predictable, but there was an optimum way to handle every individual task, and the optimum was different for every task. In PvP, there wasn't anything even close to a 'best' build until the game got flooded with so many skills and classes that balancing became Sisyphean, barring occasional, temporary cases of clear imbalance (eg. The original version of the Fragility/Virulence harrasser - although this was compounded by the fact that in those days, 8v8 at the flag stand was the normal, accepted way to play the game).

The strength that GW2 has that GW1 lacked is that there's no real way to make a bad character in GW2. The skill build options are quite limited, and the effects of most traits are relatively minor. The minimum level of effectiveness that you can give your character is still high enough that, even if you have, objectively, the worst possible character build for a given situation, the limiting factor for most players is still going to be how well they can actually play the game, and a good player with that bad build is still going to outperform a bad player who is using what is, objectively, the best possible character build for that same situation. Some of this is definitely due to GW2's increased suite of universal, build-independent, skill-based options like dodging, but a lot of it simply comes down to the fact that there's less meaningful variation between two GW2 builds than two GW1 builds. You really can't fuck up and end up carrying a bunch of hump skills into a fight - but you also can't do anything different with your chosen weapons from any other Warrior with the same weapons, aside from trait selection (the effects of which are relatively muted, compared to the colourful differences between skills in GW1).

Make no mistake - Guild Wars 2 is going to be far less mechanically complex (which is not to say, however, that it will have less depth) than Guild Wars 1, and that closes off possibilities. The trade-off is that it's closing off a far greater number of bad possibilities than good possibilities - and the gamble is that they're going to be able to make up for that loss of flavour by introducing new mechanics to compensate, like cross-profession skills and dodges.

Well said.

Jira

Well said.

Proven

I don't know if I have the stomach needed to suffer through Reddit-level conversation without throwing up, their users are the absolute worst and their threading method is just garbage. And they're sure to ask questions that have already been answered a dozen times too.

We gonna copypasta into the thread later or should I go grab a trash can and just weather through it?

I love you.

I agree. So I checked around beforehand and found you can look at any user's comment history.

http://www.reddit.com/user/ArenaNetTeam/comments/

Ordered newest to oldest. You'll know which ones are from today because the last time they used the account was two months ago.

gunbo13

Just takes longer. Usually any finality is a sum of its parts. So someone might create what they perceive as the ultimate rune setup for an offensive guardian. However, that is not necessarily tied to how they trait or skill. How everything is packaged though is the real difficulty maintaining proper synergy. Players find their sweet spot over time and it is very relative to the comfort area of the player. But GW2 will be manipulable.
That's always the case.
I don't think it makes you a villain until you start discriminating or antagonizing people who don't follow your particular route.
I better step up my game then. But really, some people like to treat GW2 like a play-ground when creating characters. That is their fun. Others, like to work deeply with the system the developers provided us before applying it to the game. We then decide if we are happy with the result or it is genuine. I don't see anything wrong with either method. The developers I'm sure also pride themselves in the deep systems they created. And surely they appreciate those who explore it. And this time around, they are layering systems even more then the past. I recall many instances where ANET was surprised with what players were able to figure out in GW1. If everyone went play-ground, then none of that would've happened.

There is evil involved though. Ever play GW1 PvP and have someone "check out" your setup? Yep, that is what can happen. Roles also become prevalent. GW1 called favorite personal builds BYOB in PvP. People love their personal builds. But almost everyone would reject anything that didn't create 100% team synergy hence why such a thing existed. The reality though? You might be outclassed in PvP by a slightly less skilled player since you are playing more for fun then them. So yea, evil exists but that's what turns off many from elite PvP. And that barrier will NOT die in GW2 even with the emphasis on 3d space gameplay.

I think you are completely right. My posts were mostly referring to coming from other MMO's though as I never really got into GW1. WoW was the biggest offender if you were a Mage you had a best build for pve and you had a best build for pvp and that was pretty much it. You could branch from those options and still be decent but you would mostly get ridicule for not having this spec or not having that spell when a group expected you to just have the cookie cutter build.

Jira

We dont have cloaks, but you can put a guild emblem on your armor and weapons!

Awesome

Q:I've always liked how in Ragnarok Online the guild banners were displayed in the cities whenever a guild managed to hold one of the castles, will there be a similar feature for WvW in Guild Wars 2?

A: Yes, you will be able to display your guilds emblem on banners in objectives you hold.

Jira

Q: How did you integrate underwater sections in WvW? I really want to fight people underwater, but I want to make sure there will be other people there.

A: There is a quaggan mercenary camp in each borderland map that can play a pretty cirical part of assaulting or defending the keeps in that map as gaining favor with the quaggans lets them build weather control stations that shower the nearest keep with healing rain for your allies or zaps your enemies with bolts of lighting. I assume that's enough to make people want to fight there ;)

SWEEEEEEEET

Q: To what extent can a player dodge another players skills? Most of us, are probably used to the homing missiles, seen in most mmo's, so could we expect to see at lot of missed skills-shots?

A: Dodging is a critical part of GW2 combat. Dodging allows you to avoid almost all skills so being able to notice a big attack coming and rolling out of the way will be a big part of staying alive in the game.

Sort of a non answer. :/

Blackface

Banned

PVP in this game is going to work very much like Starcraft, League of Legends and DOTA. By that I mean there is going to be huge amounts of strategy, a meta game, tatics and other things going on behind the scenes.

Some of the lead developers for the PVP are heavily into e-sports, and want this game to get to the same level as the games above in that respect.

Theorycrafting won't work like it does in WoW, but more like it does in the games I listed above.

Hearing one of the developers talk about PVP, and how the meta game was shifting during the Press beta weekend, etc.. Made me realize they get competitive e-sports.

We dont have cloaks, but you can put a guild emblem on your armor and weapons!

Awesome

Emblems on armor and weapons are awesome (already saw the armor part in some of the press videos), but the lack of cloaks is not. Cloaks just are the best way to display those guild emblems.

I have seen footage of a "back" slot so I wonder what happened to cloaks.

gunbo13

The strength that GW2 has that GW1 lacked is that there's no real way to make a bad character in GW2.
Sure there is; depending on your definition of "bad." Your really defining an acceptable range of good builds with this statement. That doesn't mean you can't pooch the system. Nor does it mean you won't be excluded from much play if you break the range. Online communities aren't all roses.
The minimum level of effectiveness that you can give your character is still high enough that, even if you have, objectively, the worst possible character build for a given situation, the limiting factor for most players is still going to be how well they can actually play the game, and a good player with that bad build is still going to outperform a bad player who is using what is, objectively, the best possible character build for that same situation.
Not a chance unless that bad player has claws for hands. Again, your defining an acceptable range in this context. That does not mean universal freedom, which appears to be your thesis.
Some of this is definitely due to GW2's increased suite of universal, build-independent, skill-based options like dodging, but a lot of it simply comes down to the fact that there's less meaningful variation between two GW2 builds than two GW1 builds. You really can't fuck up and end up carrying a bunch of hump skills into a fight - but you also can't do anything different with your chosen weapons from any other Warrior with the same weapons, aside from trait selection (the effects of which are relatively muted, compared to the colourful differences between skills in GW1).
I actually disagree with this part. GW2 is actually much better in this regard then GW1. GW1 had almost zero differential between warriors chains. Dev hammer -> crushing blow -> rush -> bull's strike -> hammer bash -> interrupt (repeat). The use of 3d space, weapon swapping, and how these skills are implemented makes GW2 much more varied in skill usage despite two of the same bars.
The trade-off is that it's closing off a far greater number of bad possibilities than good possibilities - and the gamble is that they're going to be able to make up for that loss of flavour by introducing new mechanics to compensate, like cross-profession skills and dodges.
Or GW2 will be a tougher barrier for players without lightning fast reflexes. Scholar players will be banished to the void. There's a lot of possible perspectives here.

---

Yet...that is the popular thread opinion I guess. So I'm obviously not going to fight this more then the above.
Theorycrafting won't work like it does in WoW, but more like it does in the games I listed above.
Agreed.

Emblems on armor and weapons are awesome (already saw the armor part in some of the press videos), but the lack of cloaks is not. Cloaks just are the best way to display those guild emblems.

I have seen footage of a "back" slot so I wonder what happened to cloaks.

Agreed. Disappointed by that too. I want my cloaks!

Coxswain

Sort of a non answer. :/

I've seen in a few places (although I don't really know how reliable the information is or how thoroughly it was tested) that you're basically invincible during a roll. Projectiles almost definitely won't home in on you (this was even in GW1; you could dodge a Ranger's arrows and Elementalist projectile spells), and it sounds as though you can even avoid a Fireball type AoE spell as long as you're in the rolling animation when it 'hits' and you can roll clear of the radius.
When they say 'almost all' skills, I imagine that the ones that can't be dodged in that way are probably things like Shouts (although again, I'm just making an educated guess).

Jira

Q:Will particles animations be reduced as mass skill usage in massive fights would be a maelstrom of confusion!

A:Our graphics programmers and tech art team are working on that issue right now! We're well aware of the effect soup that can happen in large fights and it's something we're going to do our best to address.

Jira

Q:Thanks, Mike.
Can you give us some details on how the score is calculated for the players? For example, how much weight is given to kills vs. resurrecting vs. building a siege?
EDIT: I wasn't referring to the world's score, but to the individual player's score in a leaderboard that would show what their contributions have been (healing done, damage done, buildings razed, etc.)

A: Ahh ok that makes more sense. We already track a large range of values for things just like that, so we just have to get a system in place to track and display them for users. :)

I've seen in a few places (although I don't really know how reliable the information is or how thoroughly it was tested) that you're basically invincible during a roll. Projectiles almost definitely won't home in on you (this was even in GW1; you could dodge a Ranger's arrows and Elementalist projectile spells), and it sounds as though you can even avoid a Fireball type AoE spell as long as you're in the rolling animation when it 'hits' and you can roll clear of the radius.
When they say 'almost all' skills, I imagine that the ones that can't be dodged in that way are probably things like Shouts (although again, I'm just making an educated guess).

I was actually just about to edit that post. He answered a different question regarding dodge and he says more.

Q:Hi there. I have a question regarding dodging.
When dodging, do you have to roll out of the way of the incoming attack? i.e. roll left or right to avoid an arrow, or would it be sufficient to simply roll backwards due to any dodge action simply negating the incoming attack?
What I am trying to say is, is dodging about avoiding collision or simply knowing WHEN to dodge and not WHERE to?
Thank you!

A: Both. Dodging does make you 100% evade attacks while you are doing it, however because positioning is so important in the game it is crucial to make informed decisions about the direction you dodge as well.

That makes it sound more in line with what you were saying.

Coxswain

Sure there is; depending on your definition of "bad." Your really defining an acceptable range of good builds with this statement. That doesn't mean you can't pooch the system. Nor does it mean you won't be excluded from much play if you break the range. Online communities aren't all roses.

I was not even beginning to imply that 'not being able to make a bad build' meant that any build whatsoever would be acceptable in any group of players at any level of play. Clearly the existence of builds that are, in even tiny ways, better or worse than others, means that some are just not going to be accepted in high-level play, PvE or PvP.

When I talk about making a 'bad build', I mean... One time I played on my friend's account. One of his characters was a W/Mo. Classically, the archetypal 'shitty W/Mo' has Mending on his bar, and we all make fun of that, but that's not what happened here: He had, and I am not making this up, given his character both Reversal of Fortune and Healing Hands - and was specced into Healing and Protection along with Strength, Swordsmanship, and Tactics. I later logged onto his Ranger - who turned out to be a Ranger/Paragon, with three Bow attacks, two Spear attacks, and zero points in Expertise. That kind of thing is simply not possible in Guild Wars 2; that's what I meant.

The rest of the post mainly stems from that misunderstanding, I think.

Jira

Q:Given that WvW is based on your original server, how hard will it be for a guild to get everyone on the server? Will we have to distribute a server name/number before game launch to make sure everyone's on the same page? How regional are these servers, could our euro members choose to home in a US server?

A:We will do our best to provide tools that help people find the same server so they can play together, but it's inevitable that someone will have friends that end up on a different server. We want you to be able to play with those friends as well as the ones you know from your day to day adventures in Tyria, which is why we allow people to visit other servers but to fight in the mists together everyone has to be fighting for the same nworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom