• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Still in my return period, but with the $150 discount I don't see why I wouldn't let it ride. Let's see what they look like and what they bring, but other than the physical home button, I'm happy.

Lima

My Waiting justified... How about a USBC port on the 12.9 Apple?

If they don't include one directly I can definitely vouch for picking up a lightning to USB-c cable and the USB-c 29w power adapter that's meant for the new MacBooks. It's fucking amazing how fast the 12.9 charges with it.

Deku Tree

If they don't include one directly I can definitely vouch for picking up a lightning to USB-c cable and the USB-c 29w power adapter that's meant for the new MacBooks. It's fucking amazing how fast the 12.9 charges with it.

Can you connect a USBC thumb drive to an iPad Pro with that adaptor? I guess you would also need a Compatible App to see the drive and transfer files.

Ditto. So worth it. Though since I got that Logitech smart stand that thing still only charges at 12W, but I like having the option to kick it up to 29W if I need a quick charge at a moment's notice.

I hope they stabilize the entire line. 4GB of RAM in all of them, True Tone in all (which I know was called out), above 12W charging (though I doubt a 7.9 model needs that at all, still nice). Make the only difference the screen size

Can you connect a USBC thumb drive to an iPad Pro with that adaptor? I guess you would also need a Compatible App to see the drive and transfer files.

No, the thing he's talking about is for quick charging, not data.

Blackhead

Redarse
New iPads rumored for March Event:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/20/ipad-pro-march-event-128gb-iphone-se/

Personal predictions:

New 9.7 is a budget model, maybe an Air 3. Not a Pro. The Pro sizes are going to be 7.9, 10.5, and 12.9. I just can't imagine having both a 9.7 and a 10.5 Pro, seems too similar. New Apple Pencil and smart accessories to go with them, of course

I personally will be picking up a 7.9 and 10.5 Pro to replace a Mini 2 and 2015 12.9

You're assuming that the 10.5" iPad doesn't come with another price hike :p A $699 USD (or higher...) starting price would make the 9.7" a 'budget' model.

New version of Apple Pencil needs an Eraser at the other end and a way to attach it to an iPad. The iPad itself needs 3D touch. Those two features would lure me back on the bandwagon

You're assuming that the 10.5" iPad doesn't come with another price hike :p A $699 USD (or higher...) starting price would make the 9.7" a 'budget' model.

New version of Apple Pencil needs an Eraser at the other end and a way to attach it to an iPad. The iPad itself needs 3D touch. Those two features would lure me back on the bandwagon

I just don't think it'd be that big of a differentiator. And I think it's important for Apple to have non-Pro branded iPads, both to hit the lower price point and the consumption-tablet market. In my mind, the lineup would be:

Air 3/Mini 4: $399
7.9 Pro: $599
10.5 Pro: $699
12.9 Pro: $799

Not the best, but Apple loves their higher ASPs and I think the $699 model is better to them than the $599 9.7 Pro. They could keep it around but it feels super redundant to me

I agree about the Pencil stuff, I'll need both of those features

Guess Who

Banned
I don't think there's any chance of the 9.7" Pro sticking around. My guess: The 7.9 and 9.7" stick around as the non-Pro iPads, and the 10.5" model outright replaces the 9.7" Pro.

This would make the line something like:

$299 Mini 4 (it's overdue for a price drop)
$399 new 9.7" model (and possibly new mini?)
$599 10.5" model
$799 12.9" model

Man, I really hope these finally get 3D Touch. I don't think they will because we'd probably hear about it from the supply chain, but I'd love for it to happen. Peek and pop browsing at iPad screen size would be absolutely stellar (and also iOS 10 aggressively started making it a really crucial component of basic OS use).

Saw a 9.7 keyboard for half Price at Target, and it was very tempting. Ultimately though I have my small laptop that already serves that purpose and more.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Saw a 9.7 keyboard for half Price at Target, and it was very tempting. Ultimately though I have my small laptop that already serves that purpose and more.

I've turned down the opportunity to buy a 12.9" at a really good price a few times now. Just waiting for the announcements...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are there any good apps for iPad Pro that integrate with the Pencil that would allow me to put trace sheets for Japanese characters so that I could practice them? Even if I could import a PDF or something as a layer and add a layer over it to draw onto?

Deku Tree

If the new iPhone 8 is really getting a USB-C port then it would be criminal to not put a USB-C connector into the upcoming iPad Pro's first.

I'm feeling ready to replace my 2013 MacBook Air with an iMac/iPad combo, I think. Here's hoping this March event gives me new versions of both.

Li Kao

So when can we expect an ipad refresh ? This month ?
And an iphone refresh ?

Sorry, didn't follow Apple news closely lately but it's ample time I retire my Ipad 4 / Iphone 4 (that I don't even have anymore).

And an iphone refresh ?

Sorry, didn't follow Apple news closely lately but it's ample time I retire my Ipad 4 / Iphone 4 (that I don't even have anymore).

iPhone is sept/oct as always

Strong chance of an ipad model at WWDC, but not a guarantee...

And an iphone refresh ?

This month is the current consensus.

Doesn't mean it'll *ship* this month, though.

Im continually amazed at how the iPad Pro works in school with the Apple Pencil. Like I use it every day in class and every day I'm still surprised. I've gone totally paperless and it's great

Shearie

Im continually amazed at how the iPad Pro works in school with the Apple Pencil. Like I use it every day in class and every day I'm still surprised. I've gone totally paperless and it's great

Same. Today I've been using it for some code algorithm diagrams but I usually use it in school either for PowerPoint annotation or as the world's best scratch paper pad.

VeeP

Where and when would be the best place to trade in your old iPad model if your planning on buying a new one? I have a iPad Mini 4 64 GB, hoping to upgrade.

Where and when would be the best place to trade in your old iPad model if your planning on buying a new one? I have a iPad Mini 4 64 GB, hoping to upgrade.

I've sold a phone on swappa before and it went very smoothly. Got more than I thought I would too

Laekon

I bought one thinking I would be this way and no I don't even bring it to class anymore. I don't like writing on it at all. There is just no friction when writing. Also when writing on top of a document I still run into it being moved around by my palm. Not much but its annoying. It's also still quicker to flip through printed out power point slides, with had written notes, looking for a specific one then scrolling through them on the iPad.

Other than Apple Pencil,

What do I lose by buying the 9.7 128GB WiFi iPad for $429 vs $699 for the comparable iPad Pro?

Laminated, anti-reflective screen screen
True Tone display with wide color gamut
.5 inches less physical depth
Less than .1 pound lighter
Slightly faster processor
Smart connector for ALL those smart connector accessories (sarcasm)

Decided I'm sick of my 12.9" with how much I'm moving it around between home and school now and I'm sick of waiting for that rumored 10.5".

So what I'm going to do is I'm going to buy a refurb 9.7" to use in the meantime and sell my iPad Mini 2 and iPad Pro 12.9" to make up the difference (with cases and stuff should hopefully come out to a zero balance) and then when the 10.5" comes out I'll sell my 9.7" and be happy with that

Edit one week later: went through with it. I got a brand new 9.7 from Costco since they have a 90 day return policy so if anything gets announced before the end of the month or during WWDC I'm good for a return. If it takes until September or October I'll just rebuy it and do the same thing

Going from a 12.9 to a 9.7 is amazing, who knew half a pound could make such a huge difference? I haven't tried it for notes in class yet since I'm on spring break but if there's going to be any sticking point where I'll wish I had a bigger screen that'll be it.

But so far A+ on the 9.7, and I love the true tone screen a ton

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Vyer

The Pro uses the first gen TouchID, doesn't it?

I was just looking at the pro and the base model and really struggled to see the difference in the laminated vs non-laminated screens.

Yeah, I think there's a difference especially if you're used to the laminated one, but it's not going to be big for most people.

The true tone would be more noticeable imo, or the slight weight/thickness bump, especially if coming from an Air 2, for example.

Fox1304

I've sold my 12.9 Pro about 3 weeks ago in order to be ready for the upcoming 10.5 refresh. 1st time without an iPad since the 1st gen launch, and it's deeply missed :D
10.5" sounds perfect for my needs, both on form-factor and screen estate, now I only need some real info on the supposed launch date...
Can't say I will hold on if I see a 9.7" on sale in the next weeks ...

The Pro uses the first gen TouchID, doesn't it?

Yes, the only devices that use the second gen are the 6s and 7. The MBP one is so fast I would count that as second gen as well

10.5 sound perfect for me as well, I can't wait. But if you have a Costco membership you can do what I did. They have a 90 day return policy, so I just picked up a 9.7 with the intention of returning it if the new one is announced at WWDC, or just rebuy and return until the 10.5 actually comes out

Fox1304

But if you have a Costco membership you can do what I did. They have a 90 day return policy, so I just picked up a 9.7 with the intention of returning it if the new one is announced at WWDC, or just rebuy and return until the 10.5 actually comes out

French peasant here :(

Vyer

Yes, the only devices that use the second gen are the 6s and 7. The MBP one is so fast I would count that as second gen as well

Yeah, it's pretty jarring to use it after having the later versions for so long. Don't always get the 'press the home button and it all unlocks' instantaneous reaction I have on the phone. TouchID has always been good, but i forgot how much faster the later versions got.

Got

Banned
I've sold my 12.9 Pro about 3 weeks ago in order to be ready for the upcoming 10.5 refresh. 1st time without an iPad since the 1st gen launch, and it's deeply missed :D
10.5" sounds perfect for my needs, both on form-factor and screen estate, now I only need some real info on the supposed launch date...

they're announcing new ones soon?

was going to go Pro but would rather wait if new models are on the horizon

Sometime between any minute now and October is the current time frame

Honestly, at this point October looks like it's the soonest that it'll happen (but happening any later would make the iPad Pro 12.9" two years old with no update). If they *are* actually bringing out a 10.5" iPad that's bezel-free and stuff, that design language is going to debut in the iPhone first.

Top Bottom