• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 (NEW direct - feed screens up)

C- Warrior said:
I think you can define (in part the lifelessness) of the screens is because, well -- nothing is going on?

In part that's Capcom's fault, you should release screens that show when the game is being all it can be, so I don't blame you.

Also, by definition of Capcom's framework engine "DIDN'T they say that 50% of game development is universal on a PC -- and then afterso the game is optimized for the PS3?"

Looking at the screens, it's very Lost Planet-ish PC-ish, given the game has about a year left, that last year could very well be the most important year, when the game is optimized to be the exclusive title it is (for PS3.)

I don´t know. Even if optimizations do occur, I don´t have much faith. Yes, Dead Rising did see a nice upgrade, but nothing that made the game look so drastically better that one wouldn´t be able to recognize it from the first showing.

And IMO, that is how much this game needs to improve in order to look great. So far, it´s merely an OK, saved only by the always fantastic Capcom art department.

Hopefully Capcom stops using their universal engine, because it´s not doing games any favors IMO. Maybe DMC5 will look nice?? Hopefully.

I don't really understand how gamers could think these screens are mediocre. The game is still in development. So, it will improve. But no games are going to look like CGI. People need to get that pipe dream out of their heads. The power needed to do something like CGI in realtime with game code, physics, etc. would be astounding. They have renderfarms do pixar films and even some of those farms take a day to render a single frame. Use some common sense. Geez. PS3 games are going to look similar or slightly better than X360 games. That's all there is too it. Think PS2/GC (X360) vs. XBOX 1 (PS3) comparison for visiuals

Moderation Unlimited said:
I don't really understand how gamers could think these screens are mediocre. The game is still in development. So, it will improve. But no games are going to look like CGI. People need to get that pipe dream out of their heads. The power needed to do something like CGI in realtime with game code, physics, etc. would be astounding. They have renderfarms do pixar films and even some of those farms take a day to render a single frame. Use some common sense. Geez. PS3 games are going to look similar or slightly better than X360 games. That's all there is too it. Think PS2/GC (X360) vs. XBOX 1 (PS3) comparison for visiuals

Hey, hold your horses, no one is asking for CG. At least not me.:)

Still, there´s a difference between...say, MGS4 or HS and this that is just abysmal, and makes you wonder if they really are for the same console.

Nice stuff.

Devil May Cry was one of the two games that sold me on the PS2. I remember watching gameplay videos on IGN from a Japanese preview and they absolutely blew my mind. It was the most intense action I had seen before, and it definitely lived up to my expecations.

(The other game was ATV Offroad Fury for its wide-open offroad driving, which likely definitely the next jump in 3D gaming for me much like Super Mario 64 did.)

Yoboman

Query of the thread

162cov.jpg

How does he get the jacket off with two zippers?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Logan Cano said:
Hey, hold your horses, no one is asking for CG. At least not me.:)

Still, there´s a difference between...say, MGS4 or HS and this that is just abysmal, and makes you wonder if they really are for the same console.

No it doesn't. Why even compare MGS4, when its a STEALTH GAME.

HS looks good, but what have we seen? An area in a pit, with her slashing stuff to pieces. The lighting was fine, and the game does indeed look good...but...there is no video for DMC4 out to even compare it to (cept the target render).

The artstyle goes hand in hand in these pictures. The city shot looks pretty good, and the draw distance isn't to bad either. It looks way better than say, Untold legends (which is on PS3)...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Yoboman said:
How does he get the jacket off with two zippers?

he pulls both zippers down to the bottom, where they unlatch from one side of the jacket. it's a lot like taking off a jacket with one zipper.

Oldschoolgamer

Holy Shit @ the scans. WTF didn't they release those images instead? They do a TON more justice than the regular ones. That fire is OMGWTF awesome.

Edit: Yea, Dante looks a lot more manly?

So yeah, new high-res scans are up -- finally, also, DANTE AND NERO do not look like-alike. (see original post)

By looking at the high-res shots, you can see that Dante is much more -- uglier, and seems to more pronounced ridges, while this Nero guy resembles Dante, but his face is more baby like.

Take a second look, you'll see. Nero and Dante are not related, they are not twins.

Yoboman

drohne said:
he pulls both zippers down to the bottom, where they unlatch from one side of the jacket. it's a lot like taking off a jacket with one zipper.
Never seen a jacket like that. Neat :)

High res scans certainly look good to me. Especially when you factor in 60fps looking like that. Certainly hope the animations are equally upgraded!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
dante looks ****in cool -- you actually can see some "ugly dante" influence in his face. some really nice fire effects in a couple shots as well. we need proper direct-feed caps of the interesting shots post-haste.

jett

D-Member
:lol Is that facial hair I see on Dante's face? Poor bastard grows a beard like a 15-year old.

Some screens on the scans look good, some look really bad(any with Dante/Nero fighting grunts).

J-Rzez

Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix... these dev's are just awesome... What we've seen from them is great so far... DMC4 is going to be AAA for sure... though, I am disappointed you don't play as Dante...... or, will it be ala DMC3-SE??? or will there be DMC4-SE??? Hmmmm...

...and yes, that music is tight.

makes me think... who has the best music in their games out of the three I mentioned? DMC3 rocked so hard it wasn't even funny... MGS3's music was so spot on and epic... and well, all of S-E's music is top notch too...

Yoboman said:
Never seen a jacket like that. Neat :)
I'm pretty sure an old Gortex winter jacket that my old man has works like that. Gives you more versatility for unzipping when you're decked out in full snowmobile garb and may not want to unzip all the way down from the top to reach something around your waist or to take a piss if the jacket is too long and fitting to easily pull it up.

Anyhow, if there's one graphically technical element I'd love to see down well in DMC4, it's fog. I used to replay the forest and valley in the first DMC over and over because of how nice that effect was.

Kangu

Banned
It might seem stupid to say this from looking at scans, but it looks like the game is going to have some awesome animation, which is one of the things I was looking forward to.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jj984jj said:
Looks good, don't like the Noruma inspiriation though.

So any young hero with clothes on has Nomura influence? I didn`t think zippers were outlawed.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TheTrin said:
So any young hero with clothes on has Nomura influence? I didn`t think zippers were outlawed.
YA RLY, I said it's because of that zipper only. If you can't see how Nero looks like a ****ing pansy then there is nothing left for me to say to you. You'd think he'd look more like his brother.

That fire boss looks real interesting, and the level of detail (the stances, facial expressions, movement actions he's in the midst of) in some of those shots of Nero looks real nice too.

Tokubetsu

The shots in the mag look ALOT better than the stuff from GameInformer (especially the one of Dante...is that beard stubles I see?).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God, this game looks ****ing incredible. If jett thinks this looks like shit, I seriously think he needs to quit gaming.

Oldschoolgamer

One thing. I wish (know this isn't going to happen), that they would get rid of the stupid ass titles for the combo rankings. Please get rid of that "All that" and "Big Up" shite.

Give us something like, I don't know...SSSexy, Sstylish, MMMEGATON, or something....please.

thetrin

duckroll said:
And here are the scans after I cropped them, resized them to a sensible resolution and uploaded to imagevenue.

Thanks. Now I don`t have to buy famitsu this week and scan it. :D

Tokubetsu said:
The shots in the mag look ALOT better than the stuff from GameInformer (especially the one of Dante...is that beard stubles I see?).
I noticed that as well, but I thought it may of just been a trick played by the shadowing. The smaller picture of him a few down gives a pretty clear shot of the side of his face and it looks clear. He looks a bit younger there though; more of a boyish face than the strong jaw in the picture below the 'potential goatee stuble' image.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I cant believe people say this doesnt look good.

it looks freaking great to me, cant wait to see the sweet ass animation too :)

KyanMehwulfe said:
I noticed that as well, but I thought it may of just been a trick played by the shadowing. The smaller picture of him a few down gives a pretty clear shot of the side of his face and it looks clear. He looks a bit younger there though; more of a boyish face than the strong jaw in the picture below the 'potential goatee stuble' image.
No there is definately some light stubble going on there.

Top Bottom