• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Nintendo's Games (Feb. 20, 2017)

In what way? Seriously what the fuck is valid about it?

His argument is essentially Nintendo utilizes copyright claims even in instances where fair use may apply, so it's okay to pirate everything Nintendo has every published.

There's nothing valid or logical about that in any way, shape or form.

He's not so subtly pointing out the Irony of the thefts. But he sounds more like he's just so annoyed that he's saying something really stupid. It would have been more affectual to just stick with the "Ironically Nintendo is stealing from other people, so their moral high ground shtick about piracy is moot".

phanphare

Banned
well that was a good video. wish he would have titled it properly tbh as it was just about how shit Nintendo is with their youtube policies.

his actual argument about piracy is shit but he wasn't being totally serious

Got

Banned
I agree.

The law isn't there to protect Nintendo, they have respect the laws that benefit them as much as those that doesn't benefit them so much

yeah, it's a pretty good analysis on his part. though i will say i was a bit swerved as i thought he was going to tackle Nintendo's absurd resale of old titles over and over again, but that's just a whole nother avenue to tackle them from.

Vena

He doesn't actually advocate for piracy perse. I mean he does, against Nintendo. But on the grounds of fighting fire with fire as they essentially abuse and ignore fair rights usage of content or ownership regardless of the law to benefit themselves.

There really is no Fair Use 'law' in this context to obey or to ignore because most of these rulings and guidelines are from the cinema-era and are loosely, poorly, or sometimes not at all enforced or enforceable with internet media.

If this ended up in court to actually define Fair Use in this scenario, it would probably be a hard fought battle for the content creators on YouTube to win. There's a good reason no one does anything on this other than make videos about it, because a court proceedings has an incredibly high risk involved and the odds aren't good.

The number of people who didn't watch the video, don't know how Fair Use works, and attack ad hominem without providing an argument is staggering.

This is a good satirical title: "Why it's perfectly morally fine to rob the company blind."

This is not: "Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Nintendo's Games (Feb. 20, 2017)"

The former has a clear humorous bend to it. The latter actually sounds like something pirates argue straight-faced.

Peltz

Terrible logic. Two separate aspects of IP law (which is a very large field). One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Jim doesn't construct a valid argument here. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Layell

His use of copyright deadlock with two branches of Nintendo is just hilarious, Nintendo being so petty about youtube videos is a big killer.

DrArchon

Pirating Nintendo's games in response them ignoring Fair Use really doesn't work logically imo. Even if we assume that piracy isn't inherently immoral, it's not like Nintendo games are made using Jim's work, whereas Jim's videos about Nintendo use Nintendo's work. It uses it fairly, but it's still their work. If Jim made a bunch of 3D models and Nintendo took them and put them in one of their games, he'd have way more of a case.

The ideal solution would obviously be for Nintendo to wise up and learn how Youtube works so they aren't treating YTers like children, but I guess that's never going to happen for whatever reason.

He has. It's just a general "dictator" gimmick, not really meant to be evocative of nazis.

I think it's more generic V For Vendetta style propaganda imagery, but ask him I guess, I'm not sure.

I don't think there's anything "generic" about the imagery, unless there are other dictatorial regimes using red and black colors with occasional usage of a winged emblem (there might be, I'm no expert!).
Most "generic" dictator imagery in media (Star Wars, etc) specifically comes from Nazi imagery.

I just think it's corny, more than anything.

LordRaptor

Actually I'm pretty sure you're the one that has no idea what it means. From what i've seen, you seem to believe that fair use doesn't exist at all for some weird ass reason.

I believe in fair use, but I also believe creators have various rights to the licencing of products they have created.

If Nintendo took some Youtubers original song composition and used it in an advert without recognition, licence or recompense, that original youtuber absolutely has the right to stop that happening.

Linkark07

Banned
Ignoring the provocative title, he makes good points here. Nintendo is very much still in the dark ages when it comes to Youtube, Let's Plays etc. They act in a similar way to many record labels - desperately trying to cling on to the past system which suited them brilliantly in a world which has moved on.

Aren't almost all Japanese companies like that?

If there's one thing I love about Jim is his uncanny knack of winding up the internet's biggest blowhards. Thank God for him!

Will watch the video later, and see if he really deserves the scathing criticism his extremely familiar detractors in this thread claim he deserves.

Lanrutcon

Love that title. Can someone keep a running count of how many people in this thread:

a) only read the thread title and immediately felt the need to post
or
b) had their hair ruined as Jim's message flew over them at high speed

cause I'm betting some records will be set today.

hqdefault.jpg

CeePhour

Banned
His argument is essentially Nintendo utilizes copyright claims even in instances where fair use may apply, so it's okay to pirate everything Nintendo has every published.

That's last bit you typed there the whole point of the video.

Until someone can fix the system, or even bothers to fucking look at it logically, Nintendo (and anyone else, Rockstar is just as guilty, as are many others) can do whatever the fuck they want because their team of lawyers is bigger than ours, no matter how absurdly un-fair or one-sided.

Vena

Aren't almost all Japanese companies like that?

That's just Japanese IP Laws, and why an international platform like YouTube is a total clusterfuck on the idea of "Fair Use", because the clause "as defined by whom" rears its ugly head.

Vexii

I believe in fair use, but I also believe creators have various rights to the licencing of products they have created.

If Nintendo took some Youtubers original song composition and used it in an advert without recognition, licence or recompense, that original youtuber absolutely has the right to stop that happening.
That wouldn't be fair use. That would be unsolicited commercial use.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Nah. Since your post has literally nothing in it but words, I am going to go ahead and call 100% bullshit on your post. Thanks for typing words though, they meant a real lot to no one.

Well come at me with some numbers friend, and we can talk. Until then my 20 plus years of industry experience of not working in sweatshop conditions as a result of piracy will continue to absolutely trump your 0 years of experience and gross oversimplification and lack of understanding of the issues you assume to know about.

Cool?

Cool.

Also maybe, just maybe you should be discussing the content of the video rather than the headline? Just a thought.

I get his point but the only legitimate reason for pirating content is when the copyright holder does not make the content available for sale themselves.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Love that title. Can someone keep a running count of how many people in this thread:

a) only read the thread title and immediately felt the need to post
or
b) had their hair ruined as Jim's message flew over them at high speed

cause I'm betting some records will be set today.

At least two thirds

One of the reasons I love Jim, he always manages to ruffle feathers

In what way? Seriously what the fuck is valid about it?

His point is that Nintendo doesn't care as much about copyright law as they say because they blatantly ignore fair use and abuse YouTube's system to steal money from video creators. And he's right.

Mr Rivuz

Only the first game had the solar sensor. I'm sure there is a way around. Mega Man Zero on the other hand. The last time it was for sale was for the DS collection and you can't really get that new anymore.
Mega man zero games are all on the wiiu virtual console.
Let's hope they will be on the Switch too...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ooh thats a honey pot.

The individuals that always baffle me are the ones that would refuse to download and play the Mother 3 translation yet constantly demand Nintendo translate it like they're deadlocked in some slavish devotion to the corporation. Unable to break it with one rebellious act that threatens to pull down their entire perception of reality and morality.

When Nintendo finally relents and plops Mother 3 onto the Switch for a fiendish price, they'll be hailed as heroes in finally selling you something thats been available by people that cared more for an entire decade beforehand.

phanphare

Banned
what this video really drives home for me is that someone needs to take youtube to court over their content ID system already

like, I totally get jim's grievances because his show is his and this stuff makes it harder for him to present it how he wants to without ads

but for the love of god this youtube stuff has been like the wild west for, what, over a decade now? settle it in court and have legal parameters to work within clearly defined so we call all move on

can we start a gofundme or something to front the legal fees? is jackie chiles available?

Metal B

If Jim doesn't like, how YouTube deals with Fair Use, maybe upload a video on another platform. It's easy to blame Nintendo, but it is YouTube, who owns the place, makes the rules and give them the tools to moderate them.

Really good video. Definitely a clickbait title, but I think that is the point in this case. I wish he would've gotten to his point faster, because it took about 11 minutes to get going. But once he did, I could completely see where he is coming from.

He flat out says he is promoting piracy against Nintendo.
https://youtu.be/OA8xrgLqQZ8?t=13m20s
He interrupts his "Don't actually pirate" thing with NAAAAH. FUCK EM.
Crosses the line for me.
And ends the video with "Obviously, I do not condone piracy, shoplifting, stuff like that."

LordRaptor

That wouldn't be fair use. That would be unsolicited commercial use.

What, like using someone elses work as a basis for Patreon subscriptions?
It's the same scenario.

An advert using someone elses work is not directly monetising that work anymore than a Patreon sponsored video series is directly monetising that work.

They are both the basis for commercial enterprise.

I not even at Jim for this one. If i was him and A huge Mulit Billion dollar company like Nintendo was doing this to me. I would feel the sameway.

Antagonizing the Nintendo fans as well as invoking morality in regards to digital piracy and I.P ownership, whew. That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see how it pays off for him.

He's right though.

what this video really drives home for me is that someone needs to take youtube to court over their content ID system already

like, I totally get jim's grievances because his show is his and this stuff makes it harder for him to present it how he wants to without ads

but for the love of god this youtube stuff has been like the wild west for, what, over a decade now? settle it in court and have legal parameters to work within clearly defined so we call all move on

can we start a gofundme or something to front the legal fees? is jackie chiles available?

This is a great read of the situation. I don't think it would take much in terms of legal fees. And having a ton of content creators be part of the plaintiff pool would be effective.

DigtialT

No one wants to do that because there is a 90% the rules that would be laid out from the court would be even worse then what people struggle with now.

If Jim doesn't like, how YouTube deals with Fair Use, maybe upload a video on another platform. It's easy to blame Nintendo, but it is YouTube, who owns the place, makes the rules and give them the tools to moderate them.
Doesn't YouTube have to abide by the copyright claims? If he uploaded to another platform, I'd think Nintendo would just do the same to them. The way they go about it might be different, but in the end he'd get hit all the same...maybe?

lyrick

His point is that Nintendo doesn't care as much about copyright law as they say because they blatantly ignore fair use and abuse YouTube's system to steal money from video creators. And he's right.

So take them to court and PROVE your Fair Use case. This eye for an eye shit is neither right, or valid.

Cartho

OK, so I watched the video all the way through to the end, and I kinda see where he's coming from.

That title is really clickbait-y, but I think that's the point. A company using copyright ID for knee-jerk takedown when fair use is in place or placing ads during ad-free videos to make residual revenue from other peoples' work is disgraceful and fucked.

This. Watch the video guys, the title is silly and clickbait-y but his point is pretty valid.

Top Bottom