• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Nintendo's Games (Feb. 20, 2017)

Cosmozone

No need to watch the video in this case. Breaking the law is always immoral with very few exceptions and pirating games is definitely NOT one of them.

Edit: Lol, forgot the not

Jawmuncher

I can't wait to watch this later.

I will say one thing though. Nintendo definitely has their older VC titles overpriced imo. I can buy FF7 for PS3/PSP/PS1 for the same price as Earthbound on VC. It's odd.

Please don't quote me. I know someone will defend the pricing of VC. Just saying how I feel about that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Just watching it now but...hoo boy that's a hell of a bait title to the video there.

I wonder how well a "Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Sony's/Microsoft's Games" would go over.

Beartruck

Theft is a verifiable lost sale because a product was lost in the process.
Piracy is less so because nothing is actually removed from market as a result of the misdeed.

Both are wrong and should not be condoned, but they aren't the same.

I suppose this is a semantic argument, but in an age where every game launches with a downloadable digital version, its really hard to say it isn't the same. Sure, strictly speaking there is no physical object, but you're still taking something that doesn't belong to you.

VDenter

Banned
You know i think piracy is wrong and all that. However maybe if Nintendo wants to stop piracy or significantly lessen it. Maybe they should offer decent services and not act like they are living in a bubble like its still the 80s. Why the hell is it okay for the company to sell fundamentally gimped roms on its official store, like the PAl 50hz virtual console games in Europe!?

Kouriozan

I can't wait to watch this later.

I will say one thing though. Nintendo definitely has their older VC titles overpriced imo. I can buy FF7 for PS3/PSP/PS1 for the same price as Earthbound on VC. It's odd.

Please don't quote me. I know someone will defend the pricing of VC. Just saying how I feel about that.
Well it's true and the userbase is ok with this otherwise they would have lowered the prices already because of low sales.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I've been gaming since I was 5. I do not work in the industry. But if there is one thing that gets my fires burning really, really fast, its piracy. I know piracy happens, and I know it is a huge problem. And from what I have seen of the industry, it is a very direct reason that most of the industry is run like a fucking sweat shop.

No. It isn't. Very little of your statement resembles anything close to the truth.

LordRaptor

Fair use exists. And youtube copyright system is fundamentally broken.

Fair use doesn't mean what you think it does.
Nobody making money on youtube wants a lawsuit explicitly determining what "Fair Use" consists of, because it isn't what Youtubers tend to do.

I've been gaming since I was 5. I do not work in the industry. But if there is one thing that gets my fires burning really, really fast, its piracy. I know piracy happens, and I know it is a huge problem. And from what I have seen of the industry, it is a very direct reason that most of the industry is run like a fucking sweat shop.

Pirating games en masse, as the video is suggesting people should do, is not only absolute trash clickbait, but significantly damaging to the industry as a whole.
Uh huh....My point is that I'm not sure how anyone actually finished the video to be able to comment as to what Jim actually said in there, and were just going off the title of the video.

rackham

Banned
Only the first game had the solar sensor. I'm sure there is a way around. Mega Man Zero on the other hand. The last time it was for sale was for the DS collection and you can't really get that new anymore.

McDougles

Is it morally ok to upload this Jimquisition on my Youtube channel an motenize it?

No need to watch the video in this case. Breaking the law is always immoral with very few exceptions and pirating games is definitely NOT one of them.

Edit: Lol, forgot the not

Jim sinking to what you believe is someone else's moral low is a pragmatic argument. It's a shitty moral argument.

I'm not going to decide its ok to steal shit just because a fat man who dances with an oversized dildo tells me its ok. Not even going to justify this clickbait with a view.

Whatever helps pirates sleep at night I guess.

Oh look, another anti-nintendo rant from Jimquisition. I haven't seen this before, and there's no agenda here.

Also, publicly proclaiming that people's hard work should be stolen should be grounds for a site banning around here.

Is it morally okay to reduce Jimquisition's view count every time I view a video of his? Is there technology to do this?

The number of people who didn't watch the video, don't know how Fair Use works, and attack ad hominem without providing an argument is staggering.

Schnozberry

Jim is based in the US, posting videos to a US based site, getting claims from the US branch of Nintendo.

It matters where the copyrights originate. All of Nintendo's US copyrights and patents refer to the Japanese Originals to establish their legal standing.

Fair use based on US Law has been debated several times in Japan, but never implemented as far as I'm aware.

TDLink

I thought this was going to be about Virtual Console and selling the same game over and over. In which case I could see a compelling argument being made.

But he's just whining about not being able to monetize videos about Nintendo games and thus we shouldn't respect their copyright since they don't respect youtubers' "right" to monetize videos about their copyrighted material. Which is nonsense.

Pirating games en masse, as the video is suggesting people should do, is not only absolute trash clickbait, but significantly damaging to the industry as a whole.
Nooooope. No piracy wouldn't mean better job conditions at all, it has no impact on worker rights.

Cartho

Ignoring the provocative title, he makes good points here. Nintendo is very much still in the dark ages when it comes to Youtube, Let's Plays etc. They act in a similar way to many record labels - desperately trying to cling on to the past system which suited them brilliantly in a world which has moved on.

The fact that they claim all revenue from a video about one of their games without any kind of involvement in the production of said video is flat out wrong. While it may be, from a technical legal standpoint, fair game or at least a grey area, it's wrong from a moral standpoint.

Sou Da

I thought this was going to be about Virtual Console and selling the same game over and over. In which case I could see a compelling argument being made.

But he's just whining about not being able to monetize videos about Nintendo games and thus we shouldn't respect their copyright since they don't respect youtubers' "right" to monetize videos about their copyrighted material. Which is nonsense.

Watch it again. He doesn't want his videos monetized at all.

MUnited83

For you.
Fair use doesn't mean what you think it does.
Nobody making money on youtube wants a lawsuit explicitly determining what "Fair Use" consists of, because it isn't what Youtubers tend to do.

Actually I'm pretty sure you're the one that has no idea what it means. From what i've seen, you seem to believe that fair use doesn't exist at all for some weird ass reason.

Oh look, another anti-nintendo rant from Jimquisition. I haven't seen this before, and there's no agenda here.

Also, publicly proclaiming that people's hard work should be stolen should be grounds for a site banning around here.

Did you watch the video?

I agree with Jim's princicapl here: copyright law isn't a one-way street. You can't bend over backwards to shut down fan games and attack emulation but then turn around and pretend fair use doesn't exist. It's hypocritical and greedy. They can't have it both ways.

Well I haven't watched it yet

But piracy is bad

He doesn't actually advocate for piracy perse. I mean he does, against Nintendo. But on the grounds of fighting fire with fire as they essentially abuse and ignore fair rights usage of content or ownership regardless of the law to benefit themselves.

No. It isn't. Very little of your statement resembles anything close to the truth.

Nah. Since your post has literally nothing in it but words, I am going to go ahead and call 100% bullshit on your post. Thanks for typing words though, they meant a real lot to no one.

lyrick

I mean, after watching the video he seems to have a valid point.

In what way? Seriously what the fuck is valid about it?

His argument is essentially Nintendo utilizes copyright claims even in instances where fair use may apply, so it's okay to pirate everything Nintendo has every published.

There's nothing valid or logical about that in any way, shape or form.

Tizoc

God bless Jim

I hope he stays healthy and beautiful. Do people think it's wrong to pirate games that aren't available for sale at all anymore? Games like Boktai and Mega Man Zero on the GBA?
u can still buy those games off amazon or ebay
Piracy is still wrong regardless

Nightbird

I agree.

The law isn't there to protect Nintendo, they have respect the laws that benefit them as much as those that doesn't benefit them so much

Just watching it now but...hoo boy that's a hell of a bait title to the video there.

I wonder how well a "Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Sony's/Microsoft's Games" would go over.

I mean, it (reasonably) wouldn't go over well, because the argument Jim makes wouldn't make any sense with regards to Sony or Microsoft.

Piracy isn't stealing until it's something from you that's been pirated.

I'm going to watch it because Jim always has some good points (not saying he's totally right or wrong, just some points are valid) but I'm sceptical...

Actually I'm afraid that it ends like "if you've already bought something it's yours forever". Yes I agree but unfortunately not for digital :(

Else I can download so many movies, TV shows or games that I've already bought once.

Edit: seems I was wrong on how he discuss this. If only for no more available games then I TOTALLY agree. And I even think there should be a sort of association (think Wikipedia like) which has all these games and distribute them freely to users (maybe some donation so they can work on emulators).
Still have to watch it tonight :p

data

He's whining that he wants his videos ad-free, and nintendo forces ads on his videos so they get the money. Can you make money off of ad-free videos on youtube?

Vexii

This thread is hilarious, and a whole swathe of you need to have a long, hard think about what Jim is really saying here.

Schnozberry

Did you watch the video?

I agree with Jim's princicapl here: copyright law isn't a one-way street. You can't bend over backwards to shut down fan games and attack emulation but then turn around and pretend fair use doesn't exist. It's hypocritical and greedy. They can't have it both ways.

That would be a much more salient argument if Japanese law recognized fair use and didn't require Nintendo to aggressively defend their copyright to avoid setting a legal precedent of abandonment.

foxdvd

I can almost see Palpatine behind Jim as he does this episode saying "The hate is swelling in you now...Give in to your anger"

I for one think it is never a good idea to do something wrong, even if the other party is also doing something wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right...

But honestly it is fucking insane how wrong Nintendo is on all of this...and I wish someone would step up to the plate and start a class action against them..(if that is even possible..all content creators who have had Nintendo take away their money come together and go after them)

Good episode Jim...real good....

OK, so I watched the video all the way through to the end, and I kinda see where he's coming from.

That title is really clickbait-y, but I think that's the point. A company using copyright ID for knee-jerk takedown when fair use is in place or placing ads during ad-free videos to make residual revenue from other peoples' work is disgraceful and fucked.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. Since your post has literally nothing in it but words, I am going to go ahead and call 100% bullshit on your post. Thanks for typing words though, they meant a real lot to no one.

Maybe stop freaking out that someone talked bad about Nintendo and actually watch the video?

Top Bottom