• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi |OT| It's Time For Silly OT Titles...TO END...

So we're using rotten tomatoes audience review system as a way to gauge who is a shill or not?

A system that can easily be manipulated by bots.

A system that has Justice League sitting at 80% audience approval rating?

I havent watched a super hero movie for years (Logan and that avengers with the robot bad guy are the only recent i have seen) so i can't comment on that.

With regards to the shill comment, I just find it odd that all these critics rate it so highly when it is a terrible movie. All IMO but it seems like my opinion is in the majority here but we wont really know for a few months will we?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So we're using rotten tomatoes audience review system as a way to gauge who is a shill or not?

A system that can easily be manipulated by bots.

A system that has Justice League sitting at 80% audience approval rating?

Or maybe people liked justice league more than Last Jedi? ( I certainly did)

It's the first day, the real word of mouth will take a few days to see what people think.

This was..disappointing. There were things I disagreed with in TFA as a fan but I could still enjoy the movie and watched it a few times, I think I would struggle to sit through this one again though. It is so long with some really obvious sections that could have been cut. The humour missed the mark quite often as well.

Crazyorloco

Or maybe people liked justice league more than Last Jedi? ( I certainly did)

It's the first day, the real word of mouth will take a few days to see what people think.

Yeah the feeling I got leaving the theater with justice league was better than this. Here I left disappointed. Maybe it was higher expectations for this movie especially after the good trailers. There were less “ what the hell is happening, or that sounds so cheesy ” moments in justice league.

NahaNago

Is it just me or does her shirt look completely dry?

your right . i think only the hair is wet.

edit: so i enjoyed the movie but i also thought it wasn't that great.
snoke or whatever that guys name is , his ending scene was weak. rey was annoying. Luke was weird but awesome at the end. The movie didn't feel that long. So in closing it was enjoyable but nowhere near as good as the originals. It was too easy to predict what kylo was going to do.

Justice League’s entire run will be made by Star Wars in like a week. One has to assume the vast majority of people who saw justice league were fans of Batman v Superman, so 80% is not inconceivable. At this point, the vast majority of TLJ viewers are hardcore Star Wars fans who might understandably be disappointed. I think both numbers are believable, and we’ll see what happens when general audiences get to see it.

Tevious

Not at all. That's bizarre.

Thanks, finally got an answer to this. The title cards must be a localization thing for some regions to help them understand who the characters were. They were literally something like this:

Supreme Commander Snoke
A powerful master of the dark side of the force. He is the supreme leader of the First Order.

Dare I suggest they miss George Lucas a little bit? He's far from immune from criticism particularly PM and AOTC, him working with other writers/directors worked out ok for two of these movies.

Just got out of seeing it, that scene with
Leia flying through space
was one of the worst fucking things ever put to film. What were they thinking?

Other than that it was OK. Kylo Ren was cool. Snoke was cool. Luke was alright. I went with 5 guys and our scores were 7, 6, 6, 8 and 4. Really polarizing film. (I was the 7, I was leaning towards 6 but bumped it up for the good cinematography)

iExplicit

I thought it was a brilliant movie.

However, the space scene with Leia was stupid and I didn't like how Luke's character was handled.

opoth

Banned
I would watch Attack of the Clones over this movie again in a heartbeat.

Let's not get carried away. Reaction to TPM was "Lucas raped my childhood" this film is Rians way of reacting to that and saying "hey hold my beer"

At least Rian used lube. I walked out feeling out both empty and fulfilled at the same time, whereas with the prequels, my thought was "I guess I've outgrown star wars"

So the question here is, what's the better "negative" reaction? Indifference or personal devestation? A movie that makes you feel wrecked or one that doesn't make you feel anything at all?

I'll take TLJ in that case.

kunonabi

Let's not get carried away. Reaction to TPM was "Lucas raped my childhood" this film is Rians way of reacting to that and saying "hey hold my beer"

At least Rian used lube. I walked out feeling out both empty and fulfilled at the same time, whereas with the prequels, my thought was "I guess I've outgrown star wars"

So the question here is, what's the better "negative" reaction? Indifference or personal devestation? A movie that makes you feel wrecked or one that doesn't make you feel anything at all?

I'll take TLJ in that case.

Hard to say. RotJ I will at least watch whenever I do a SW marathon. I have no desire to watch any of these Disney flicks a second time. Although to be fair I'm not really wrecked by these new films anyway as I've treated them like fanfiction from the very beginning.

Now watching The Amazing Spider-Man 2 kill any hope of seeing more good live-action Spider-Man films was far more painful.

opoth

Banned
George Lucas: "And people say I don't know how to do this shit?"

I would have killed to feel something walking out of any of the prequels. He got the last one mostly right, half the feels were related to the assumption that this was truly the end of Star Wars in the cinema though.

Again per my last post, what's the worse feeling walking out of the movies after seeing a film from a beloved franchise - devastation, or feeling nothing at all?

t-storm

The “don’t let anyone spoil this” tagline they used is starting to make so much more sense now, they had to expect the fan backlash coming and were on the offensive.

They seem to be going heavy with promoting the positive reviews on social media too, specifically referring to the film as “certified fresh.”

opoth

Banned
The “don’t let anyone spoil this” tagline they used is starting to make so much more sense now, they had to expect the fan backlash coming and were on the offensive.

They seem to be going heavy with promoting the positive reviews on social media too, specifically referring to the film as “certified fresh.”

Do you legitimately think that this film is prequel level pablum? I think that maybe just maybe, there are events that take place in this film that shouldn't be casually thrown around in friendly company at this stage for those who haven't seen the film.

If the powers that be anticipated a "backlash" they certainly wouldn't have given the writer/director of this film his own trilogy as a playground in a few years, would they?

Unfortunately, it seems that the remaining people here aren't that bright. Might be time for one of those overdramatic ban request threads, this place is shit city now.

That being said, I liken this movie to Johnson distracting KK with porgs and BB9E while he ran off and spiked the communal punch bowl with LSD

opoth

Banned
I suspect the Han Solo movie will do worse...they got the guy playing Han an acting coach DURING filming

This was a he said/he said scenario that started the ball rolling toward Lord and Miller getting fired from the director's chair and being replaced with the safe choice Ron Howard. Turns out the directors were the problem. I still think the movie will probably suck, but at least in marginally better hands now.

No one needs 21 Jump Street in space, maybe Mel Brooks should hire them to make a Spaceballs sequel instead.

tanooki27

So I'll just come out and say it. The 93% Rotten Tomatoes is because Disney paid for good reviews. The fan score is much more telling. 59% and dropping.

the movie is dense with a lot of stuff going on underneath the surface thematically. critics like that stuff.

when I got out of the theater I was not satisfied like I was leaving force awakens - force awakens is a fun sugar rush of a movie. let's get the gang together and party! whereas the last Jedi is a grower. as I chew on what I saw, I find myself admiring it.

looking forward to seeing it again.

Shouta

I got back a few hours ago but I thoroughly enjoyed The Last Jedi. I was pretty meh on the Force Awakens and wasn't expecting much from this but it really surprised me. I'd say only A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back would be equal or above this for me. It just really managed to do all the things I wanted from it.

The story for this movie was good. It definitely has bits of the usual SW structure and ideas to it but basing the film on a
desperate chase across space at arm's length is pretty wild for Star Wars.
It's a simple premise but it worked well. It kept all the things going on tied together and really built up the conflict,
or whatever's left of that
, between the Empire/First Order and Rebellion/Resistance in a way that's different from the other films. ESB would be the closest but it's different enough to be its own thing.

I was engaged with the characters. I felt like the entire cast was a huge improvement from TFA. The new characters were better characterized overall while the old characters got a lot that made sense in respect to where they would have went in the years since the original trilogy. They also each had their own story but also played off each other in some respects which worked well and helped elevate what would have been simple stuff.

The visuals and actions were on point. It felt like they took the one thing that worked extremely well in Rogue One and integrated it here.

As for negatives, it can definitely feel long. I was engaged for all of it but I can see where others might get a little impatient with the film. Some of the scenes were a little silly and there's one tangent that could have been done differently so it would better mesh with the film. Some of the stuff that occurs and what it means for the next film are a little weird but I kind of see what they want to do with it.

the movie is dense with a lot of stuff going on underneath the surface thematically. critics like that stuff.

when I got out of the theater I was not satisfied like I was leaving force awakens - force awakens is a fun sugar rush of a movie. let's get the gang together and party! whereas the last Jedi is a grower. as I chew on what I saw, I find myself admiring it.

looking forward to seeing it again.

That's pretty on point. I was pretty satisfied with this film because I can sit and think about what it was portraying for its characters and all the stuff going on. I was pretty happy with the sugar rush elements too but it definitely doesn't have it to the level that TFA does.

beef3483

Reposting from the other thread.

Absolutely hated it. My least favorite since clones. It takes more than doing what audiences don't expect and subverting expectations to make a great movie. Ashame to, because I liked The Force Awakens, even if it did riff off of A New Hope excessively. I actually have little desire to see the next one which is a feeling I've never had about a Star Wars movie.

My favorite of the Disney ones so far is Rogue One. Not looking forward to Rian's trilogy at all.

Kylo Ren has to be the LEAST intimidating and manipulative character in the Star Wars franchise. Disney had thousands of options and they come up with him... lol

KAOS

I enjoyed the movie because of it's Lucas foundation but I'm conflicted as I hate where Disney and JJ have taken the franchise. One of the things I strongly disliked about Lost was being strung along just for the purpose of being strung along without no meaningful outcome or character redemption. Knowing that JJ will be at the helm of the conclusion of this trilogy I'm afraid of the same outcome. At least with Lucas things meant something!

Lokimaru

I would have killed to feel something walking out of any of the prequels. He got the last one mostly right, half the feels were related to the assumption that this was truly the end of Star Wars in the cinema though.

Again per my last post, what's the worse feeling walking out of the movies after seeing a film from a beloved franchise - devastation, or feeling nothing at all?

I left out of the Prequels feeling great, I left out of this one feeling dirty like I just watched a two and a half hour snuff film.
The movie cared more about some over grown Lama's then people getting blow out of space whilst retreating. Fuck man they killed Akbar.
Star Wars is supposed to be a pulpy sci-fi serial not fucking Platoon.

orion434

Although I didn’t hate The Last Jedi, too many shenanigans take place in this one. Finn and Rose about to be executed and “shenanigans” their whole plot could be removed and it wouldn’t alter anything, it was all filler.

The one thing that really bothered me is that Luke says the “Jedi religion” not sure if the Jedi were ever referenced as religion before on-screen

t-storm

Do you legitimately think that this film is prequel level pablum? I think that maybe just maybe, there are events that take place in this film that shouldn't be casually thrown around in friendly company at this stage for those who haven't seen the film.

If the powers that be anticipated a "backlash" they certainly wouldn't have given the writer/director of this film his own trilogy as a playground in a few years, would they?
Yes?

Not sure what’s so difficult for you to comprehend. Perhaps Disney likes the final product that Johnson developed and they believe it’s a solid film. But that doesn’t mean fans think it’s a solid Star Wars film as the general consensus seems to indicate so far. Disney is a big company and there’s strategy behind every decision they make but that doesn’t mean they’re not suseptible to miscalculations.

It seems that they made one with VIII.

There’s a reason why they’ve been heavily using the “this isn’t going to go how you think” line in their marketing, because they’ve been preparing audiences for the departure in the series that is TLJ.

And please. Spare everyone the self-righteous commentary and ask for a permaban already.

Hissing Sid

Star Wars just got Alien threed.

Poor Mark Hamill, after what the fools have done with his character it must have taken him a lot to honour his commitment to this film. Other actors have walked or refused to continue to play their characters for less.

At this point in my universe the Disney stuff is some unofficial shit-tier fanfic, divorced from the rest of the saga, that somehow got funded for live action by an eccentric squillionaire who spends all his time tripping on acid and noisily spoiling himself when he has visitors.

Fucking hellfire. Guess George has had the last laugh on this one. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

EBE

Agreed on this. I see plenty of people saying this is as bad as the prequels and I think that’s pretty objectively not true. The bloat, however, is absolutely comparable.
I mean it definitely isn't. But it's got problems for sure and is a sad sight worse than TFA

Agreed on this. I see plenty of people saying this is as bad as the prequels and I think that's pretty objectively not true. The bloat, however, is absolutely comparable.

Objectively I think ROTS is a much better film than this [shrug] Probably pointless to throw that word around when talking about opinions.

All spiced up with the usual "the haters" remarks. If people genuinely like it, good, same for those who dislike it, they should speak their mind without having all that "haters" crap thrown at them.

Nodnol

Posted a bigger response in the spoiler thread, but to summarize, I loved it.

The risks paid off. Genuine smiles, grins, laughs and nearly tears. Not perfect, but some of it was the pinnacle of the series IMO.

I had been spoiled, so my expectations were in check. More importantly, I left my own head canon at the door.

graffix13

Totally agree with this.

The movie just isn't good. I read spoilers (despite Disney's pleas not too) and at first I laughed because they just sounded so stupid there was NO WAY they could be true.
Luke milking a space slug for milk? LEIA FLYING IN SPACE? Snoke and Rey having no backstory?
They we're too ridiculous to be true. But, alas, they were.

Also, our Snoke theories suck, Mr. Rian Johnson? Oh, the irony in that.

Top Bottom