• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarked Deus Ex: Human Defiance [The film]

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, that's definitley a sequel by all means. Plus the return of Adam Jensen!
by what's going on from the Missing Link at the end and how the voice actor has been there a lot recently

3572653_o.gif

Time to dance!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Did not trademark it. They applied for the trade mark. They will eventually get it though since I can't see any reason they would be refused it.

katkombat

Banned
Hnnnnnnnnnngggggg. One of my favorite stealth games of all time and one of the best games this gen. If it's a sequel for U/PS4/720, I'll pretty much seal the deal on the PS4 (until 720 is announced at least so I can see their console). Human Defiance sounds pretty awesome.
As long as it's not the new Invisible War of the franchise, we're good.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Want, want so hard

But canonically, isn't Adam dead? Something tells me Paul Denton just might be the star of this. (if the story isn't re-written, that is)

Hystzen

Want, want so hard

But canonically, isn't Adam dead? Something tells me Paul Denton just might be the star of this. (if the story isn't re-written, that is)

at end of the DLC Missing Link it seems the illuminati want to approach Jensen so far all we know Jensen could be alive just before DE1

Midou

Sweet. If they fix the boss fights and bring some of the feeling closer to the first game, would be great, assuming it is a sequel of course. I think if they did an HD remake they would just call it Deus Ex HD, but if they were to actually port deus ex 1 into HR engine, that would be pretty sweet too.

at end of the DLC Missing Link it seems the illuminati want to approach Jensen so far all we know Jensen could be alive just before DE1
I can't remember the part you're talking about, but the Missing Link DLC takes place during the middle of the main game. So how does what you reference impact Jensen's apparent demise? Is there a 'flash forward' past the end of DE:HR or something?

Eideka

Banned
I may be wrong but Square Enix has been rumored to have struck a deal with Epic and bought UE4 licences, this new Deus Ex could very well be UE4 powered.

Moff

Please be a sequel, that would be glorious. DX:HR had such an amazing setting, I'd love to see deepend and continued.

Enkidu

this actually makes more sense than my last post. defiance comes before revolution after all
But Human Revolution is a prequel to the original Deus Ex...

Anyway, I hope it's not a remake. The original Deus Ex is still extremely playable (especially if you use some visual mods). HD wouldn't really make sense for the remake anyway as Deus Ex was already HD when it came out.

RyoonZ

Banned
I hope it's a sequel. Human Revolution is amazing. I think it's the first stealth game I played, playing without killing is so much fun. Too bad I triggered the alarm once but managed to playthrough on Hard difficulty without any casualties. Also hope it stars Adam Jensen again.

xandaca

Here's where I'm torn. Should there be a Wii U version, I'd love to play it because the gamepad opens up all sorts of possibilities for interacting with the world (hacking and such). On the other hand, if I'm playing a Wii U FPS, Wiimote and nunchuck are pretty much mandatory at this both (which isn't to rule out the gamepad, as COD shows how both can be used at once). Unfortunately, no other devs than Treyarch seem bothered about implementing the control scheme in their games. Hoping for the best, but sceptical.

(Of course there may not even be a Wii U version, in which case I just saved £40, I suppose)

Izick

I could see this being one of those games MS shows off at its event. Not exclusive, but just a big third party title.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like a sequel to me. I'm excited for this, Deus Ex: HR was awesome, save the boss fights.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Or they could fail harder than anyone at E3. They're handling precious properties that most fans don't have any faith they can replicate well.

The rumors around Thief 4 have been depressing to say the least.
Their western studios are doing pretty well though. Even Tomb Raider turned out to be decent.

Kyoufu

Wasn't a huge fan of HR but it was a good game, just not for me (not a big fan of stealth) but I will buy the next one probably.

Hopefully boss battles aren't as bad and guns actually matter.

Hystzen

I can't remember the part you're talking about, but the Missing Link DLC takes place during the middle of the main game. So how does what you reference impact Jensen's apparent demise? Is there a 'flash forward' past the end of DE:HR or something?

It the conversation you hear when Jensen is back in the pod the mechanic seems be keeping a eye on Belltower for them. After seeing what Jensen did he says something about letting Jensen finish his business first then go to see him after. The only ending in HR that is death is the collapse the base ending the rest doesn't outright state he dies it depends which ending they want to go with

Derrick01

Banned
Their western studios are doing pretty well though. Even Tomb Raider turned out to be decent.

Except for fans of the TR franchise. That's kind of the point I'm trying to make :lol

I'm sure people will praise Thief 4 to the heavens if it turns out how I'm expecting it. But Thief fans are not going to welcome a hybrid stealth game with likely worse level design, it'll be TR/Hitman levels of ugly on this board for a long time if those rumors are right. Which they probably are, because pure stealth games "don't sell anymore".

Or they could fail harder than anyone at E3. They're handling precious properties that most fans don't have any faith they can replicate well.

The rumors around Thief 4 have been depressing to say the least.

"Most fans"? I think they bought themselves a fair amount of goodwill with DX:HR.

Have there been any rumors for Thief 4 beyond that leaked trailer and being next-gen?

EDIT: Nevermind, already replied above.

I'm sure people will praise Thief 4 to the heavens if it turns out how I'm expecting it. But Thief fans are not going to welcome a hybrid stealth game with likely worse level design, it'll be TR/Hitman levels of ugly on this board for a long time if those rumors are right. Which they probably are, because pure stealth games "don't sell anymore".

Maybe this is heresy, but as a Thief fan I'll still take a modernized hybrid stealth sequel than no sequel. I've just accepted that we'll never see a AAA game with that level of depth again. Having those kind of old-school expectations is just waiting to be disappointed.

Hystzen

Except for fans of the TR franchise. That's kind of the point I'm trying to make :lol

I have nightmares Thief 4 turns out be similar playstyle to Asscreed which is a same if they bring back the real Thief style I think it might sell well

Aww yeah more griefing of civilians!
ib1f6ZMV1lEQwy.gif

Pure stealth games in the mainstream space are dead. Maybe we need a separate thread to pour one out.

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe this is heresy, but as a Thief fan I'll still take a modernized hybrid stealth sequel than no sequel. I've just accepted that we'll never see a AAA game with that level of depth again. Having those kind of old-school expectations is just waiting to be disappointed.

Why, what would be the point? It's not like Thief is known for its story or lore, it's known for the gameplay and level design and that's going to be the thing that's ruined in a modern sequel or "reboot" (code for "we can make whatever shit we want and you can't say anything about it"). I'll take no sequel over another action game wannabe with crouch walking and takedowns.

Why, what would be the point? It's not like Thief is known for its story or lore, it's known for the gameplay and level design and that's going to be the thing that's ruined in a modern sequel or "reboot" (code for "we can make whatever shit we want and you can't say anything about it"). I'll take no sequel over another action game wannabe with crouch walking and takedowns.

Human Revolution wasn't on the same level as the original Deus Ex, but it was still fun, wasn't it? Aside from the surprise that was Dishonored, we just don't get even hybrid stealth games without strong IP behind them anymore. So the next Thief game may be a watered-down version of the classics, but at least they'd be doing something positive with the IP. I'll take an additional 20 hours of fun if less impressive gameplay over zero additional hours of old-school stealth. We have to take what we can get, and I'll definitely take that kind of game over most of the AAA alternatives in today's market.

Top Bottom