• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition |OT| Delays, patches, and bugs on bugs

Taruranto

Cleared some areas, i think i'll head toward the mines next.

XTvai.jpg

... the game still has the same problems the original had. So many areas with so little content, it's literally the opposite of BG2, were you can't walk 5 steps without getting into a quest. In BG1, if you are lucky you'll meet some NPCs inside the area with some optional dialogs and maybe you'll get a simple quest. Clearing a map is such a chore and boring task.

I really wish they had at least enhanced the original characters, while the sense of adventuring is great everything feels so... empty.

Heya, it's me, Imoen!

Giolon

So what's it like? Any reason to play this over the gog.com version?

To answer many of the repeated question "Is there any reason to buy this over the GoG version?" in a little more detail:

What's new?
Ported to the BG2:ToB Engine, incl Races and kits (available as a mod)
3 new party members
400+ bug fixes (many available via mods and fan patches)
New modernized Journal interface
Cross Platform multiplayer support w/ forthcoming matchmaker
Support for high resolutions and widescreen (available via mods)
New Black Pits combat arena
Better, cleaned up modding support (in theory)
Ongoing support, patches, and updates including cross platform cloud saves in the future headed up by some of the original developers.
Some community mods being updated to work with this version.

What does the GoG version have that this EE doesn't?
Downloads of wallpapers and other assets that were included with or used for promotion of the original release.
Half the price
Lots of great mods that work with it right now.
Downloadable Soundtrack

Why did I buy this if most of it is available via mods for free?
I don't have the time or will to deal with hunting down, installing, and applying mods in various combinations anymore. I just want to fire a game up and go. My time is valuable and this edition saves me time and hassle at the cost of a $20 bill. I'm ok with that. The fact that I'll soon be able to play on my iPad (which will be a separate purchase that I'll easily make) is the ultimate bonus. Everyone is not going to feel the same way, but I've been having a blast reliving my formative RPG gaming days with this edition. Plus Neera is adorable, and Rasaad is a badass.

Side Note: I pestered a friend into buying the GoG BG, which I also own as well, and when he played it he got an incurable BSOD crash every time he went to Beregost for the first time. He picked up this edition and has run flawlessly through Nashkel Mines so far. That isn't to say there are no bugs or issues people are having with this version, but there are people actively developing on the game and working to fix them ASAP (in fact, it a big patch just went out today). You can't really say that about other versions out there.

Minsc

Gold Member
Speaking of ongoing support / patches, there's a new one for PC. Details here.

I might incorporate that summary in to the OP a little where lacking, it's pretty good.

Catshade

What does the GoG version have that this EE doesn't?
Downloads of wallpapers and other assets that were included with or used for promotion of the original release.
Half the price
Lots of great mods that work with it right now.

The GOG version of all D&D games also has delicious soundtracks.

Giolon

Speaking of ongoing support / patches, there's a new one for PC. Details here.
Feel free. :)

I might incorporate that summary in to the OP a little where lacking, it's pretty good.

Anyone figured out how to change the framerate in the Enhanced Edition yet?
It was just added in today's patch. Add this line into your Baldur.ini file:
'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', 'DESIREDFRAMERATE' (30 is default, "normal" speed)

The GOG version of all D&D games also has delicious soundtracks.
You're right, I forgot!

saxman717

Banned
If I've never played BG 1 or 2 before, should I pick this up? Was planning on it, but am a little discouraged after seeing the latest P. Eternity artwork.........

If I've never played BG 1 or 2 before, should I pick this up? Was planning on it, but am a little discouraged after seeing the latest P. Eternity artwork.........

What? Why would Project Eternity concept art have any bearing on how good the BG games are?! Go for it man, it's a decent enough price.

saxman717

Banned
What? Why would Project Eternity concept art have any bearing on how good the BG games are?! Go for it man, it's a decent enough price.

Will do ---- yeah, I understand they are completely separate projects ---- I am just a little bummed out being $280 invested in P. Eternity and getting handed that steam pile of generic garbage artwork that we got yesterday...........maybe playing BG for the first time will cheer me up

RyanDG

(you all know what's no. 1).

Icewind Dale, right?

Gah, I loved me some Icewind Dale. The multiplayer in that was amazing. My old D&D group started playing Icewind Dale together. We went through the entire game with characters based on our D&D characters, including some crappy drawings we drew to represent our characters. Our tank of the group was a halfling fighter.

Yes, I know you meant Planescape Torment.

Taruranto

1) This doesn't make any sense.
2) BG2 is one of the greatest games ever. Words cannot define how fantastic, huge and awesome is. Everyone should play it at least... 3 or 4 times.

BG1 is kind of a hit-or-miss, mostly because the game aged really poorly, the areas are huge with little to see, companions characterization is non-existent or limited to few sentences (Heya, it's me, Imoen!) and the quests are pretty basic, and even with the EE/Tutu enchantments it still feels kinda like a... turd. The only (imo) great thing that it has going on for it, it's the amazing sense of adventure (you play as a small group of low-level adventurers traveling through the Sword Coast) that not even BG2 managed to replicate.

If you don't feel confident about liking BG1, you can really skip to 2. You'll miss some things story-wise, but it's nothing major, really. And always remember that BG1 is nowhere indicative of BG2 quality.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I own both the GoG and the EE versions and I've decided to completely drop my 20 hours invested in the GoG version and stick with the EE. It's really well done and works perfectly out of the box. I haven't had a single issue so far (after ten hours of gameplay).

The new characters are brilliant. Thankfully I get a few days off over Christmas which will be totally dedicated to this. Such an amazing game.

saxman717

Banned
1) This doesn't make any sense.
2) BG2 is one of the greatest games ever. Words cannot define how fantastic, huge and awesome is. Everyone should play it at least... 3 or 4 times.

BG1 is kind of a hit-or-miss, mostly because the game aged really poorly, the areas are huge with little to see, companions characterization is non-existent or limited to few sentences (Heya, it's me, Imoen!) and the quests are pretty basic, and even with the EE/Tutu enchantments it still feels kinda like a... turd. The only (imo) great thing that it has going on for it, it's the amazing sense of adventure (you play as a small group of low-level adventurers traveling through the Sword Coast) that not even BG2 managed to replicate.

If you don't feel confident about liking BG1, you can really skip to 2. You'll miss some things story-wise, but it's nothing major, really. And always remember that BG1 is nowhere indicative of BG2 quality.

Thanks for the feedback ---- my panties were all in a bunch yesterday w/ the P. Eternity artwork but I'm over it now. Still have faith in Obsidian and can't wait to dive into Balders Gate 1 for the first time --- they just need to get around to releasing it on iOS!

Right now, I'm playing through KOTOR 2 and am loving it despite some bugs. I had to use a cheat to get off Nar Shadaa b/c of a game-breaking bug, but aside from that, and how long it takes to get a lightsaber considering this is a sequel, the game is great.

railGUN

Banned
Downloading iPad version right now... Size is 1.7 GB. Can't wait, I never played the first BG, and it's been ages since I played BG2.

AEREC

Ugh...have to reformat my ipad before I can download BGEE. Ive got a bunch of pictures that were synced with another computer a long time ago and I cant just delete them to make room.

bomer

*grumble* Updating my iPad2 to iOS 6 (from 4.2), hoping the fact it was jailbroken doesn't cause a snuff up.

soooooo excited for this. played the hell out of BG2 but strangely BG1 never *really* got its hooks into me (might be because I spent most of my time wandering around the wilderness and took forever to get to nashkel, might be because I spent the rest of my time trying/failing to kill (Random neat cameo spoiler)
Drizzt Do-Urden
).

Hopefully I can convince myself to get through BG1 if I can play it from my couch, and hope my purchase helps fund BG2:EE and IWD:EE. Ohhhhh IWD.

PFD

*grumble* Updating my iPad2 to iOS 6 (from 4.2), hoping the fact it was jailbroken doesn't cause a snuff up.

It will likely update smoothly, but I recommend doing a restore rather than update. The device becomes much faster that way.

PFD

Ugh...have to reformat my ipad before I can download BGEE. Ive got a bunch of pictures that were synced with another computer a long time ago and I cant just delete them to make room.

Use iFunBox. It should let you browse for the pics and delete them manually.

wtf? Ios6 only? No sale

Ipad 1/ios 5.1.1 support will follow in an update.

bomer

It will likely update smoothly, but I recommend doing a restore rather than update. The device becomes much faster that way.

Yup it ended up forcing this anyways, took 4-5 times before the update would flash, then wouldn't restore my backup so I just said fuck it and went fresh, barely use the 4 screens full of games on it, largely just Youtube and the odd game here or there. Took nearly two hours to get back to a fresh home screen though :/

First time I ever logged in with this iCloud thing, hopefully I can access some purchases still.

Giolon

you can'r change fps ?
Le fuck that is horrible. Especialy in bg1. I play always 45fps.
Yes, you can. They added that option a couple days ago due to popular demand. Add the line

'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', 'DESIRED FRAMERATE'

Into your Baldur.ini file.

wtf? Ios6 only? No sale
For now. They got this version working correctly and passing cert so they put it out. When they get it all going well on iOS 5.1 and iPad 1, they'll update it. No reason to hold out on everyone b/c a couple issues are present on a couple platform variations.

now my choices are to hold out until they can support 5.1 and keep my JB support, or just upgrade to 6 so I can play it nowwwww. ugh. either that or just buy it on PC but at that point I may as well just play the gog version.

ronito

now my choices are to hold out until they can support 5.1 and keep my JB support, or just upgrade to 6 so I can play it nowwwww. ugh. either that or just buy it on PC but at that point I may as well just play the gog version.

Yeah same for me.
Is them supporting 5.1 in the future official? Or speculation?

Kinan

how much space do i need to install this beast? have freed 3.6 already and it still says not enough space when I try to buy it?

EDIT: OK, 3.9 GB was still not enough, but 4.4 GB did the trick, downloading...

ParityBit

I played this game ages ago .... and not since my first couple runs have I played it.

I am having analysis paralysis on starting class... Ugh.

I think LAST time I played it I was a Paladin. But this time I am thinking fighter/mage maybe? Any suggestions?!

AllenShrz

Why did I buy this game?

I really don't have any idea of what I'm doing. I'm on the iPad and simple commands as attack, I think I'm doing it wrong because they just stand and do nothing even if attacked.

I didn't play the original.

Tash

Why did I buy this game?

I really don't have any idea of what I'm doing. I'm on the iPad and simple commands as attack, I think I'm doing it wrong because they just stand and do nothing even if attacked.

I didn't play the original.

You didn't play through the tutorial? it can be a bit taxing to get into at first if you haven't played the original ones.

Click on the sword (or whatever weapon you have equipped) icon in the bottom row to attack with your weapon and then on your enemy of choice to attack.
For spells, make sure you rest in between so you actually have the spells memorized and ready but they work somewhat the same. I am not 100% sure if it's also ranged based but I think it is. So you might be too far away for some attacks?
Either way, pause is a good idea while you assign actions.

Chris R

Is there no way to see what a spell will do from the cast or memorize windows? On an iPad, tried taps and long taps and got nothing.

Giolon

I just watched the new intro cinematic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egfgFZATd5E

They really ruined it. They cut the part where the guy offers to reveal "others" in exchange for his life, which is a pretty important bit. Also, the new animation is worse than the now 14 year old original cinematic.
While I agree on the dialogue being omitted, I disagree about the original cinematic. I looks positively prehistoric, and I don't think it would leave a good impression on someone who's just picked up the game and isn't nostalgic about it. The sort of motion comic style is fairly prevalent these days.

Is there no way to see what a spell will do from the cast or memorize windows? On an iPad, tried taps and long taps and got nothing.

A long tap on a spell in the spell book will give you the description. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.

AEREC

Ya...I would have rather they kept the opening cinematic from the original. Always loved how the blood flow into the cobblestone transitions into the title. The dialogue removal is an odd choice as well.

Also....how is the difficulty compared to the original? I see that the slider is a little to the left by default and I though I remember there being a Normal, Hard, etc... setting. Is the game impossible when the slider is all the way to the right?

edit: NM...just noticed touching the difficulty explained it (playing on ipad)....gonna stick with Core rules.

Top Bottom