• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition |OT| Delays, patches, and bugs on bugs

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
After spending a few hours playing around with the iPad version I don't think I will be playing much more. It's not well optimised but it seems playable (with frustrations). Further, and most importantly, I just don't have the time to dig into this game in light of my circumstances. I have already finished it several times back in the day.

That said, I don't regret buying it (it was the cost of a few coffees).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It certainly is poorly optimised. Frequent crashes, insane slowdown with pretty much any AoE spell, general slowdown (especially in corridors funnily enough), quest glitches up the wazoo. But it's glorious.

I think I must have done the Sword Coast stuff too. I did Durlags Tower quite early and explored all along the coast with those bastard sirens and their lovely 2000xp per kill. I rinsed this game :)

Minsc

Gold Member
They mentioned fixing the slowdown with AoE things (specifically entangle) on iPad (along with numerous other changes), which is a must for any of the higher level games going forward. BG1 is the smallest offender with that sort of slowdown, because it's in the PC version too, until you apply the workarounds, and it makes the sequels unplayable much more so than the originals. Doing anything more than just running around with mirror imagine on mages can make things start to slow down if you don't fix the Direct Draw emulation on PC.

Don't forget you can pick up the PC versions for $5 a piece right now from GOG (while they're on sale) if you ever want to skip the wait, Icewind Dale 1 is great (I liked it better than BG1), and unlike BG2 (which should come out next year), it could be years and years before it hits iPad, depending on what they bring over next. Planescape Torment is another to be sure to play down the road if you haven't.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I must confess that I am little worried about what is going on with the patch for the iPad version. I have been keeping my eye out for it (wanting to give the iPad version another shot).

The developers said on the 13 December that it had been sent to apple for approval...

Minsc

Gold Member
Wow, that is... pretty interesting.

Recent tweets from Trent Oster:

So, working with our partners at Atari, after many requests, we've managed to bring #BGEE to Steam.

We have not been able to reach an agreement with Atari regarding Steam keys for existing users. We are still trying.

I disagree. You get the game early and you get updates instantly. Steam version is currently 2011.

Last one was in regards to early adapters getting screwed... I guess the Steam version is behind a patch currently for whatever reason, 2012 was a pretty big patch, something like 140 fixes.

Also, over concerns earlier about the iPad version, a new version was submitted yesterday with many fixes (including PC/iPad multiplayer) that also runs on OS 5.1 so first gen devices should be able to run it, but I guess they still have memory issues, so save often if you try it.

2San

So I've been playing a modded GOG.com version(BGT+fixes+unfinished business). I'm really having trouble finding the fun in the game. I've done quite a bit of exploration and that didn't really excite me(was challenging at times though). So decided to follow the story and finished up Narshkel mines(relatively easy) and just stopped. Does the story get better? Or is it better to just skip to BG2? I don't think the combat is something for me, even though I liked Dragon Age:Origins. :| BG1 seems pretty light on story and party interaction/banter(none at all, next to the odd cry).

I don't think the combat is something for me, even though I liked Dragon Age:Origins. :| BG1 seems pretty light on story and party interaction/banter(none at all, next to the odd cry).

Yeah, BG2 is where the party interaction and banter ratcheted way up to what people think of when they think of a BioWare game, in that respect.

I'd say its worth finishing the game since the story gets better. Sacrilege as it may seem, if the combat isn't clicking at all you could always cheat your way through too. Back in the day when I first played the BG games I cheated through the combat since I wanted to get to the story bits. Those were my first RPGs and I didn't understand D&D at all, but eventually I went back and understood the combat better and then it got more enjoyable.

2San

Yeah, BG2 is where the party interaction and banter ratcheted way up to what people think of when they think of a BioWare game, in that respect.

I'd say its worth finishing the game since the story gets better. Sacrilege as it may seem, if the combat isn't clicking at all you could always cheat your way through too. Back in the day when I first played the BG games I cheated through the combat since I wanted to get to the story bits. Those were my first RPGs and I didn't understand D&D at all, but eventually I went back and understood the combat better and then it got more enjoyable.
Cheating does seem like a good idea atm. Are the encounters better in BG2? Since the combat engine is the same, I figure the combat is pretty similar as well. I think I do have a decent grip on the D&D system though(haven't died too much. ;p ).

coopolon

So I've been playing a modded GOG.com version(BGT+fixes+unfinished business). I'm really having trouble finding the fun in the game. I've done quite a bit of exploration and that didn't really excite me(was challenging at times though). So decided to follow the story and finished up Narshkel mines(relatively easy) and just stopped. Does the story get better? Or is it better to just skip to BG2? I don't think the combat is something for me, even though I liked Dragon Age:Origins. :| BG1 seems pretty light on story and party interaction/banter(none at all, next to the odd cry).

Yah, the problem is BG1 is all low-level AD&D and low level AD&D sucks. You're always missing, you are constantly running out of spells (and your spells suck), your mages die in one hit, etc.

I mean, if you're not having fun, you're not having fun. There is a mod that will add party banter and I think party member quests to BG1 , but it's still not as good as the BG2 equivalents. They story is, meh, I think it's biggest value is how it contributes to BG2. If you want to speed things up without cheating just have everyone use bows and arrows, archery is really op in BG1.

Raptomex

So as a newcomer to the BG series and never owning a copy would buying the Enhanced Edition on Steam be the way to go?

Minsc

Gold Member
Kind of unhappy with my Steam purchase, apparently it's still a couple of patches behind.

It's a single patch behind, Steam is version 2011, and Atari is responsible for pushing the recent version 2012 build... so it's hard to say how quickly that will be handled given what's going on now. Trent Oster's twitter makes it sound like they're working on it, but that was a tweet from a few days ago and the Steam version is out of his hands.

Minsc

Gold Member
Any news of the iPad patch? Been in the works a while has it not?

Jan 15th it looks like it was said for the 2012 build to be 'uploading' (not entirely sure if it was meant that day, or just in general - though further replies seem to indicate that day). So somewhere between a few days in the best case scenario and a few months if it gets rejected a few more times.

Raptomex

I would also like to know the answer to that.
Just to update my situation. After all the reviews I've read about the EE I just got both the original BG1 and 2 for 20 bucks on GOG instead. I have it modded and it plays nicely I guess (I never played them before). Widescreen mod and a few tweaks. Nothing gameplay changing since it's my first ever playthrough. I'll wait for the price to drop on the EE on Steam.

iPad update is out!

Beyond bug fixes:

*Features
Damage notifications change colour depending on type of damage done
Option to turn off coloured player circles (enables original green circles)
Added roll total to ability screen when creating a new character
Elven Chain Mail now obtainable
Yeslick may rejoin the party in Jopalin's Tavern
Black Lily purchases stolen goods
UI improvements

Interested in UI improvements to see what they have done. Hopefully something with doors and picking up loot but from what I can tell they just made some of the fonts big and ugly.

Giolon

So as a newcomer to the BG series and never owning a copy would buying the Enhanced Edition on Steam be the way to go?

I would also like to know the answer to that.

This is basically answered in the OP. If you're willing to roll your sleeves up a little bit, you can get most of what's in the EE by applying various mods. All that you'd really miss out on is the cross-platform multiplayer capability and the newly added characters and their stories. If you want to just "fire it up and forget", the EE is pretty great. They're also actively working on and fixing bugs.

iPad update is out!

Indeed it is. The new smart tapping radius detection makes the game a lot smoother to play when trying to get small things like loot or hidden things like doors.

Unfortunatley, a performance fix for Entangle wasn't included yet b/c it is apparently so bad they can't fix it until they finish their renderer re-write.

Interested in UI improvements to see what they have done. Hopefully something with doors and picking up loot but from what I can tell they just made some of the fonts big and ugly.

The smart tapping radius is in. It's very nice.

Indeed it is. The new smart tapping radius detection makes the game a lot smoother to play when trying to get small things like loot or hidden things like doors.

Unfortunatley, a performance fix for Entangle wasn't included yet b/c it is apparently so bad they can't fix it until they finish their renderer re-write.

Sounds good.

Unfortunately the patch size doesn't seem to be particularly optimised :|

Giolon

Sounds good.

Unfortunately the patch size doesn't seem to be particularly optimised :|

iOS doesn't support delta patching of Apps, so anytime you update one, it is the entire thing. There's not really anything anyone can do about that, even iOS favorites like Infinity Blade. Its just normally not noticeable because apps are generally not so huge.

Also, unfortunately updating an app directly on your iPad (or iPhone) can temporarily take up to triple the space required for that app - 1x for the old version, 1x for the download of the new version, and 1x for the unpacked new version. If anyone is running into trouble updating because of space, try doing it through iTunes instead. It should work without the additional free space.

Minsc

Gold Member
iOS doesn't support delta patching of Apps, so anytime you update one, it is the entire thing. There's not really anything anyone can do about that, even iOS favorites like Infinity Blade. Its just normally not noticeable because apps are generally not so huge.

Also, unfortunately updating an app directly on your iPad (or iPhone) can temporarily take up to triple the space required for that app - 1x for the old version, 1x for the download of the new version, and 1x for the unpacked new version. If anyone is running into trouble updating because of space, try doing it through iTunes instead. It should work without the additional free space.

iOS 6 does do delta app updates and also negates the space issues too (obviously it doesn't write 2GBs in seconds). I've had 1GB+ apps update in seconds (I wish iTunes did delta app updating too, as now it's much faster to update on the iPhone then sync, then it is to update on the PC). :)

Sliver

I'm guessing it's not possible to transfer saves from Enchanced Edition to BG2? Is transferring your character from the end of BG1 to BG2 recommended anyway?

Giolon

iOS 6 does do delta app updates and also negates the space issues too (obviously it doesn't write 2GBs in seconds). I've had 1GB+ apps update in seconds (I wish iTunes did delta app updating too, as now it's much faster to update on the iPhone then sync, then it is to update on the PC). :)

Interesting. I didn't know iOS had gotten that feature. I take it all back then (though the process I described is how I'd seen it explained by a developer for why it took so much space to update apps). I wonder is it something that the app devs have to support for their update explicitly?

I'm guessing it's not possible to transfer saves from Enchanced Edition to BG2? Is transferring your character from the end of BG1 to BG2 recommended anyway?

I don't know if the BGEE saves are compatible with BG2 due to some of the new content present, but BG2EE is coming later this year.

I do sort of recommend transferring your character from BG1->BG2, especially if you have the Golden Pantaloons.
Can you say rocket launcher + adamantine armor?
. Of course you could always just cheat and spawn them into your game. Anyways, I don't think there's a lot of stuff that transfers other than the reappearance of some characters you may have killed in BG1 remembering such events and feeling sort of vengeful about it. XD You lose most of your inventory items and get the opportunity to re-build your character. I think you keep your XP and bonus stats that you may have acquired in the first game.

AEREC

Just purchased this and then decided to look at the requirements page for some reason...and noticed that that intel chipsets are specifically not supported.

I have a Intel HD 3000 on my laptop which is what I was gonna play it on. Does it actually not work on these chipsets?

Minsc

Gold Member
Just purchased this and then decided to look at the requirements page for some reason...and noticed that that intel chipsets are specifically not supported.

I have a Intel HD 3000 on my laptop which is what I was gonna play it on. Does it actually not work on these chipsets?

I believe it runs on Open GL 2.0 and intel's support for their windows drivers is lacking. See this recent tweet regarding Mac OS X and intel not having problems because Apple handles their own drivers, so you'd be fine if you were on a macbook.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Today this is on sale for 50% off. I was thinking of getting it but...no achievements? Enhanced my ass.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
This game isn't really going to come out for android is it? I'm pretty sure it was just a cruel joke at this point.

Perkel

Banned
Yah, the problem is BG1 is all low-level AD&D and low level AD&D sucks. You're always missing, you are constantly running out of spells (and your spells suck), your mages die in one hit, etc.

That is love hate thing. I love low level AD&D. Every spell counts, every tactic is serious. In BG2 you are too often focused on same things where in BG1 you can freely experiment.
For example low level spells in BG2 are almost worthless. In BG1 blind spell decides about outcome of battle.
Playing mage does kind of suck since he is worthless in battle and only can cast one spell. But thanks to BGT you can create Multiclass Wizard/Warrior and that is simply pure fun.

As of hitting and missing most of attacks are fake. They take function of scraping enemy armor or missing but they looks weird without almost any feedback beside miss.

In Icewind Dale for example you can hear that you hit enemy but you just scraped his armor and this is why ID has so much better combat. Those fake attacks give you idea that people are actually fighting.

As of BG:EE.

MOTHERFUCKING JOURNAL and FONT used for that is simply FUCKING AMAZING.
This is probably best journal in any game every created with probably best font ever for such things. They did something which i thought no one will do. Improved amazing already UI system. I played recently NWN2 and after that i feel like i am in heaven.

PFD

Today this is on sale for 50% off. I was thinking of getting it but...no achievements? Enhanced my ass.

Old post, but I hope you were kidding here...

Can't wait for BG2:EE this November. I hope they release it simultaneously for iOS

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Old post, but I hope you were kidding here...

Can't wait for BG2:EE this November. I hope they release it simultaneously for iOS

Oh wow, BG2: EE is actually happening? I thought after the atari shenanigans and the whole copyright thing it was in limbo.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That is love hate thing. I love low level AD&D. Every spell counts, every tactic is serious. In BG2 you are too often focused on same things where in BG1 you can freely experiment.
For example low level spells in BG2 are almost worthless. In BG1 blind spell decides about outcome of battle.
Playing mage does kind of suck since he is worthless in battle and only can cast one spell. But thanks to BGT you can create Multiclass Wizard/Warrior and that is simply pure fun.

As of hitting and missing most of attacks are fake. They take function of scraping enemy armor or missing but they looks weird without almost any feedback beside miss.

In Icewind Dale for example you can hear that you hit enemy but you just scraped his armor and this is why ID has so much better combat. Those fake attacks give you idea that people are actually fighting.

As of BG:EE.

MOTHERFUCKING JOURNAL and FONT used for that is simply FUCKING AMAZING.
This is probably best journal in any game every created with probably best font ever for such things. They did something which i thought no one will do. Improved amazing already UI system. I played recently NWN2 and after that i feel like i am in heaven.

My only problem with these games still involves the interface being unable to describe what buffs are cast, especially against enemies. With all the improvements, I sort of couldn't believe they didn't have a tooltip option for this. Mage duels in the lategame can feel like guesswork trying to correctly breach through whatever colored aura defenses represents me doing no damage.

Too often I sit there perplexed as to why my weapons or magic are ineffective...so I rifle through my own spellbook to try to see what spell it could be, then google to uncover the correct counter spell, then hope that if it misses or fails it is because of a bad dice roll and not that all my guessing was ineffectual. If the game told me what those colored lights are, I can better strategize and focus my efforts...hopefully BG2 adds that in.

Varna

You know... I bought this during the steam sale and I was initially very unimpressed. Widescreen patch + fix pack + functional multiplayer was my initial reaction. I played for a bit but basically rage quit when I saw that they didn't finish up any of the broken quest lines (the stuff UB1 covered... I didn't know about all the legal implications at the time). Decided to break out the old BG disc and play that instead. I spent a good hour setting up my mods but It was so hard to to get use to the old UI though. I didn't realize what a improvement they had made until I tried go to go back.

I'll miss UB because I hate having zero quest resolution (even if the quest were mostly lame)... but for now Stratagem II and BG2 Tweaks works and that's gonna make for a great playthrough.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You know... I bought this during the steam sale and I was initially very unimpressed. Widescreen patch + fix pack + functional multiplayer was my initial reaction. I played for a bit but basically rage quit when I saw that they didn't finish up any of the broken quest lines (the stuff UB1 covered... I didn't know about all the legal implications at the time). Decided to break out the old BG disc and play that instead. I spent a good hour setting up my mods but It was so hard to to get use to the old UI though. I didn't realize what a improvement they had made until I tried go to go back.

I'll miss UB because I hate having zero quest resolution (even if the quest were mostly lame)... but for now Stratagem II and BG2 Tweaks works and that's gonna make for a great playthrough.

Install BGTutu, it gives the game the BG2 UI which is much better.

Varna

Install BGTutu, it gives the game the BG2 UI which is much better.

I did and no it's not the same.

The UI in BG:EE is such a huge improvement for BG2. The 2D elements can't be scaled up in BGT/TuTu/ETC so they are very hard to read running at native resolution. I thought it was really minor at first, but once I tried to go back I saw the huge difference it made.

The only mod I miss is UB and not really because the quest were all that good but because it closed up journal entries. NPC Project was another good one. The work that went into it was amazing. But starting over with it and I just wasn't feeling the style of the writing. I did enjoy it in the past so I guess my feelings have changed.

54-46!

Alright, both Baldur's Gate games have been on my to-do list for some time and I have decided to the plunge. I am a complete novice when it comes to IE DnD games though, do you guys have any general recommendations on how to play this game? Do this, don't do this etc.

I will keep Volothamp's guide as a reference while I'm playing though the games.

Patryn

Alright, both Baldur's Gate games have been on my to-do list for some time and I have decided to the plunge. I am a complete novice when it comes to IE DnD games though, do you guys have any general recommendations on how to play this game? Do this, don't do this etc.

I will keep Volothamp's guide as a reference while I'm playing though the games.

Be patient. If you're starting wtih Baldur's Gate 1, know that you will be very, very, very weak in the beginning.

Every fight will be an ordeal. Don't think of it as a game where you're fighting trash mobs and can just stomp through encounters until you get to a boss.

Going mage can be very tempting, but they are SUPER weak in early D&D (basically, most of Baldur's Gate 1). They will basically be able to throw out a handful of spells and then be done. By the time you reach Baldur's Gate 2 they become near gods, but you'll have to endure a hell of a lot to get there.

Try to always make sure you have a thief and a cleric with you. The thief for finding traps and unlocking doors/chests, and the cleric for healing up.

The only penalty for resting is that there will be a chance for a random enemy encounter waking you up. The chance for that is increased if you rest in an area where you previously had an enemy encounter. Other than that, there is no time limit so the days technically does not matter.

If this is your first time playing this stuff, don't even look at dual-classing, but multi-classing may be ok. Note that only humans can dual class, and only non-humans can multi-class. The major difference is that multi allows you full access to all the class abilities, albeit at a slower rate of growth while dual will have a period of locking away a class's abilities in addition to ending the growth of a class when you dual.

For the most straight-forward approach, go fighter. If you want some other useful abilities, I'd say cleric is a solid second choice in that they can wear heavy armor and still dish out damage while allowing access to some nice abilities.

Farks!

Use this guide for reference if you have trouble understanding the rules. You don't need to become a D&D expert to play the game however, so don't worry about that. I recommend playing as a fighter with the berserker kit or paladin with the inquisitor kit, since they are relatively straight forward melee classes but still have powerful and useful abilities. Most people consider mages to be the most fun to play in the IE games however, but they're a bit more high maintenance and weak early on. But by the time you reach BG2 they become very potent and in ToB they're godlike.

54-46!

Thanks!

It seems like they will be rolling out a new update for both games when the expansion hits, guess I'll wait until then since it's going to include some UI improvements etc.

Top Bottom