• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U may be renamed Wii Entertainment System and released on WiiWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

disap.ed

Repost from the other thread:

lL4Uz.png

or somebody fucked up & tried to take it down before anyone(gaf) notices.

Do not assume conspiracy when incompetence is just as logical an explanation.

Companies fuck up all the time, but there's no logical reason why they would be be talking about the Wii U here, why they would announce a name change now, why they would put it on a schedule if they were going to take it down, and why the person who puts the schedule on the website would have that information.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I like this "Super Wii" idea everyone has.

Nintendo needs to just abandon the "Wii" name. For immature people like myself, it still invokes unnecessary images of penises.

Super Wii = a big boner.
Wii Entertainment System =a fleshlight.

At least Wii U was such a clusterfuck of utterances that you can't really even figure out what that would be. Something to do with group sex, obviously, but even then, I can't be sure.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For whom? They dropped the "Nintendo" brand from Wii for a reason. They're calling its successor "Wii U" (if they can get trademark issues worked out) for a reason. Wii was its own brand, separate and distinct from "Nintendo", from the beginning.

Ask most people though, heck, a lot of people in Wii threads noted parents or others who just refer to it as "the Nintendo." Yeah, Wii has gained a lot of recognition due to sales, but "Nintendo" is still a much bigger name.

They need to make a specific distinction in the mind of consumers between the Wii and the new system as to not confuse them. Wii Entertainment System sounds like it could be the long name for the Wii. Wii-U sounds like a new SKU almost.

I'm really not sure what they need to do anymore, or how it will turn out. Should be fun to watch though.

zroid

Banned
Even if this weren't fake, I have no idea how "Wii Entertainment System" would solve Nintendo's naming situation. If anything, it might make things worse. For all intents and purposes, the Wii itself can already be referred to as a "Wii Entertainment System". At least "Wii U" has something to differentiate it.

BurntPork

Banned
Do not assume conspiracy when incompetence is just as logical an explanation.

Companies fuck up all the time, but there's no logical reason why they would be be talking about the Wii U here, why they would announce a name change now, why they would put it on a schedule if they were going to take it down, and why the person who puts the schedule on the website would have that information.

Viral marketing, obviously.

Also, aliens.

And bacon. WES will ship with free bacon.

SmithnCo

Even if this weren't fake, I have no idea how "Wii Entertainment System" would solve Nintendo's naming situation. If anything, it might make things worse. For all intents and purposes, the Wii itself can already be referred to as a "Wii Entertainment System". At least "Wii U" has something to differentiate it.

Imagine the general media talking about the "Wii Entertainment System." The average consumer would probably shrug and say they already have a Wii. It would be awful, and the people Nintendo wants to continue courting by keeping the Wii name have no idea what the significance of "Entertainment System" is.

So I don't know how WES is any better than WiiU besides nostalgia.

BKK

Google Cache has it as Mario Party 9 on April 9th too, shame as I liked Wii Entertainment System.

Also, don't use screenshots as proof, use WebCite.

Xristot

A while back there was a fake rumor about the name being Wii Hi-Fi. I actually liked that name. It kept the Wii moniker but was clear that it was a generational step up. Too bad it was fake.

Roth

Banned
MOTHER 4 w/ main protagonist named WESS confirmed!
Jokes aside, Wii has Hulu and Netflix now and is the lead in motion gaming, so I can understand it being a system for "entertainment".

// Roth

udivision

I'm tempted to start a ridiculous thread of my own... there doesn't seem to be any repercussion with such compelling evidence.

Maybe FFv13 coming to the 3DS?

BKK

Why would Nintendo ever do something like this in Japan?

What relevance does "Nintendo Entertainment System" have to Japanese consumers?

c'mon

That's just the western name, in Japan it's going to be called the "Nintendo Famwiicom".

pulga

Banned
MOTHER 4 w/ main protagonist named WESS confirmed!
Jokes aside, Wii has Hulu and Netflix now and is the lead in motion gaming, so I can understand it being a system for "entertainment".

// Roth

Is the sig why you're perm-junior'd?

The problem they have is the same one they had with the 3DS. The name is too similar and the thing looks exactly the same as the original Wii, especially now that Wii's are horizontal.

But at the same time, since the thing uses the Wiimotes and is essentially a Wii 2 is every respect, they can't really drop the 'Wii' from the name.

So they're kind of stuck whatever they end up calling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom