• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Marvel have released the solicitations for their November books, including the start of Gillen's run on Star Wars in #38.

STWARS2015038_MAIN.jpg

STWARS2015038_WALSH.jpg

STAR WARS #38 & #39
Kieron Gillen (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
THE ASHES OF JEDHA!
KIERON GILLEN'S FIRST ISSUE ON STAR WARS!

The Rebel Alliance turns its attention to the shattered planet of Jedha! Once the site of great significance to the Jedi, Jedha was left in ruins when the Death Star annihilated the Holy City there. Now, new series writer Kieron Gillen joins artist Salvador Larroca to bring Luke, Leia, Han, and the rest to the remains of the tragic victim of the Empire's fury!

That #39 cover gives me East of West vibes. It looks like the Inquisitors are making their first appearance in Vader in November too.

DARTH VADER #7 & #8
CHARLES SOULE (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
LEGACY'S END BEGINS!
As Vader takes his place in command of the Emperor's secret Inquisitorius Program, he sets his sights on one of the most dangerous Jedi remaining alive...and it's not who you'd expect.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Like I had talked about earlier with the comics not feeling like "Star Wars', those covers make me feel like Gillen will bring back Star Wars to Star Wars.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm surprised all the Inquisitors from Rebels were already around right after RotS. I would have thought they'd want to use different Inquisitors so they could, you know, die during the course of the story.

Sayers

I'm surprised all the Inquisitors from Rebels were already around right after RotS. I would have thought they'd want to use different Inquisitors so they could, you know, die during the course of the story.

Well there was a Sixth Brother as early as the Ahsoka novel.

sphagnum

Banned
Boring nanes tbh. AT-M6 doesn't roll off the tongue like AT-AT, AT-ST, AT-DP, AT-TE, etc. And "First Order Dreadnought" just sounds like a class rather than a model.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Gee Wiz! Thats a big one!

Woorloog

Banned
Big? Nah. The SSD from ESB is something like 19 km, and other old canon battleships tended be big as well. The new super Star Destroyer is modestly sized. The standard First Order Star Destroyer is something like 2+km itself.

Don't really care for its looks but i've seen worse.

The AT-M6 is stupidest walker name there is. The second part has always been descriptive, not a "model designation". "All-terrain armored-transport", or "all-terrain tactical-enforcer".
I mean, what the hell is this? "All-terrain model-six" ?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Always thought the SSD was smaller. 🤷*♂️

sphagnum

Banned
I hope there's some actually interesting new ships and vehicles that they just haven't shown yet. So far the ST is really lacking.

The best thing so far has been the (spoilers? don't remember if EW revealed them)
Canto Bight police ships

The AT-M6 is stupidest walker name there is. The second part has always been descriptive, not a "model designation". "All-terrain armored-transport", or "all-terrain tactical-enforcer".
I mean, what the hell is this? "All-terrain model-six" ?

All-terrain Megacaliber 6 (because of the big-ass gun), according to the Star Wars Show.

sphagnum

Banned
The U-Wing's still my favourite original ship from the new films. You can tell they put so much time into getting it right.

Yeah they're by far the best design. They aren't just an upgrade of something else that already existed but they look 100% like they fit in with the OT ships.

antonz

Just more insanity. I could understand the Galactic Empire always going bigger and weirder because it was a Government in Control of practically all known space in the Galaxy.

Now we got the Gorilla Walker that seemingly has all the same weaknesses as the AT-AT just larger and with an extra gun.

Just more insanity. I could understand the Galactic Empire always going bigger and weirder because it was a Government in Control of practically all known space in the Galaxy.

Now we got the Gorilla Walker that seemingly has all the same weaknesses as the AT-AT just larger and with an extra gun.
In the interview Cross-Section posted above, they mention them being invulnerable to ropes in the same way the AT-AT was. I presume they'll just be hitting them with the Resistance bombers.

Woorloog

Banned
In the interview Cross-Section posted above, they mention them being invulnerable to ropes in the same way the AT-AT was. I presume they'll just be hitting them with the Resistance bombers.

I'd imagine the bombers are for attacking the Star Destroyer. The speeder-fighter things seen in the trailer are more likely used against the walkers.
Though some proton bombs should take care of walkers...

Savitar

The Dreadnought looks weird, super flat and two giant guns poking out the underside. Can't say I'm a fan.

Depending on how they are used it could be very cool, we seldom see a good planet bombardment in any movies. Unless your a fan of anime and see it in some shows probably the best was actually from Babylon 5.

Centuari bombard Narn

Loved that scene, really gave a weight to the impact happening.

Those aren't bad but I was hoping for something a little less familiar. It's a Walker. It's a Star Destroyer. Still sticking fairly close to the OT versions. Not different enough to get excited about, just variants. Unoffensive I guess is the best compliment I can come up with.

I don't necessarily want these sorts of things to be unrecognizable but I think they could stray a little farther than they have so far. It's unexciting.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Yeah, the dreadnought is too flat for my tastes, but I appreciate that it's the most different looking variant of the Star Destroyer that we've had in ages.

Woulda liked something akin to these in the TFA concept art, but less tackier.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, the dreadnought is too flat for my tastes, but I appreciate that it's the most different looking variant of the Star Destroyer that we've had in ages.

Woulda liked something akin to these in the TFA concept art, but less tackier.

Okay, that would have been really, really awesome. Maybe with some modifications, like no straight up re-using the Executor-class arrowhead silhouette, but otherwise, really, really great.

antonz

They should hire this guy.

http://fractalsponge.net/

to do all their designs.

Seriously.

TFA vehicle designers fucking suck.

If Andrew Hsiao is actually an artist on TFA, then I've just played myself.
He has done an amazing job bringing all the old comic ships etc. into a realistic Imperial style especially considering how many ships were little more than shaped blobs

sphagnum

Banned
So I'm the only one that thinks we are brushing closer to old-EU-up-its-own-ass-insanity with some of this stuff?

Not even close. Everything so far has been pretty standard fare, upgrades to existing GCW era vehicles. Nothing over the top like the five billion different TIE Fighters or the Eclipse, although the Eclipse is canon, but probably not in the same form.

Even the planet killer superweapon was just another Death Star and not something wacky like the Darksaber or Suncrusher.

The problem with the EU was that it was all ideas with no control, while the ST is tasteful but lean on new ideas.

MMarston

For pete's sake, the old EU had this.

Lightsaberartimg7.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the current canon is alright by my book.

Voidwolf

I'm kinda torn on these new vehicles. The Gorilla Walker just looks stupid, I don't like the name or the front legs. I'm curious to see their function, but nothing will change the way it looks. I do like the head, that part looks cool at least. The new Star Destroyer is just boring, looks like a flat, fat Star Destoryer. But I don't hate it. So far both of the First Order's captial ships look rather boring and like a downgrade from classic Imperial ships.

I powered through Screaming Citadel today after putting off due to baby, house flooding, exhaustion, lol. It was pretty bad. Characters did not have their voice and the story was so forgettable.

Meowster

I powered through Screaming Citadel today after putting off due to baby, house flooding, exhaustion, lol. It was pretty bad. Characters did not have their voice and the story was so forgettable.
It was unfortunate because I loved the set up and the dynamic with Luke and Aphra but yeah.. it kinda collapsed for me.

sphagnum

Banned
Oh look Andrew Hsiao also thinks the dreadnought sucks.
http://fractalsponge.net/?p=2568

I've gotta say, I'm not really feeling the aesthetics of TLJ at all so far outside of Rey's new outfit and Snokes bathrobe. The Resistance Bombers are ok but everything else still looks pretty bland. The Dreadnought is ugly, the AT-M6 is dumb, the Praetorians are nowhere near as good looking as the Royal Guards...

Actually Canto Bight looks great.

MMarston

I've gotta say, I'm not really feeling the aesthetics of TLJ at all so far outside of Rey's new outfit and Snokes bathrobe. The Resistance Bombers are ok but everything else still looks pretty bland. The Dreadnought is ugly, the AT-M6 is dumb, the Praetorians are nowhere near as good looking as the Royal Guards...

Actually Canto Bight looks great.

I guess it must be the SW equivalent of going from the 60s to the 90s or some shit like that.

Top Bottom