• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Nintendo (US) controller > the Super Famicom controller due to concave X/Y

ScOULaris

b3UOB4D.jpg

While I'm sure that the fact that I grew up with the US Super Nintendo controllers has something to do with my preference, I think an argument could be made for it being the superior iteration of the SNES controller with nostalgia removed from the equation.

For me it all comes down to the concave X and Y buttons. They really make all the difference, and the end result is near-perfection when it comes to controllers in the pre-dual analog stick era.

The only thing that the Super Famicom controllers have over their American counterparts is the color scheme. A Super Nintendo controller with the Super Famicom button colors would be absolute perfection as far as I'm concerned.

What say you, GAF? Does everyone just prefer the controller that they used as kids, or do some of you prefer one over the other regardless of that factor?

Kyzer

Banned
I grew up with the US ones and didnt even really know what famicom was for a while and still prefer the famicoms. The SNES logo bro

not only do I agree with you that its better due to the buttons, but I like the color scheme better too. Famicom looks gaudy.

Will agree with the above that the logo looks better on the famicom

Colors are better on the Super Famicom, but the indented buttons on X and Y are better for playing. I like the US Logo on the controller better too.

Edit:
Actually, the more I look at both of them, the more I like the more subtle colors of the American one.

Razlo

You gotta be one of the only people with this opinion. Just having color coded buttons alone makes me prefer the Super Famicom controller

I think everybody knows this to be untrue. Yet, for those of us that grew up with it, the nostalgia factor is high for shades of purple, even if it's visually a bit less stimulating.

Also, I never noticed how similar the SUPER NINTENDO typeface is to the current Overwatch one.

JoeInky

Never used a US one, we got the superior colours in the UK.

I've always thought the US SNES looks ugly, with those parma violet buttons.

The SNES controller is essentially perfect. It never once got in the way of enjoying the game for me, and that's all you can ask.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Both have their merits. The original will always be better overall, though.

Xater

Everything about the US SNES is ugly. From the color selection to the shape of the console. EU and JP SNES is just so much more appealing. It looks sleek, the colors are cute and actually help to differentiate the buttons during gameplay.

I also don't care for concave buttons. I don't even enjoy concave analogue sticks.

emag

For me it all comes down to the concave X and Y buttons. They really make all the difference, and the end result is near-perfection when it comes to controllers in the pre-dual analog stick era.

The only thing that the Super Famicom controllers have over their American counterparts is the color scheme. A Super Nintendo controller with the Super Famicom button colors would be absolute perfection as far as I'm concerned.

There are only two differences between the controllers. The US one has the superior concave X/Y. The JP/EU one has the superior color scheme (and logo).

It's a toss-up as to which of those two aspects (ergonomics vs. aesthetics) is more important.

PAL/EU version for comparison:

Yup, I prefer the NA version too, both the buttons and the colour scheme. It just feels better too. I had both as a kid and the PAL/SFC design was the ugly P2 controller for when you had friends over.

I'll also say that this was the best looking SNES/SFC hardware:

Aeana

There are only two differences between the controllers. The US one has the superior concave X/Y. The JP/EU one has the superior color scheme (and logo).

It's a toss-up as to which of those two aspects is more important.

The controller's purpose is to be used as an input device, so I'm not sure it's really a toss-up.

And I say this as someone who grew up primarily with a Super Famicom.

WhatNXt

The American colours (WITH A U) always reminded me of these:

parma_violets_500px.jpg

I prefer the EU/Japanese colours. I wouldn't have minded those concave buttons though. That's a clever tactile change to help people find buttons without looking down at the controller.

The aversion to the bright colours of the EU/JPN units kinda speaks to the reality of a Nintendo of America that felt Kirby needed angry eyebrows. Be comfortable in your colourful skin broskies...

Sorry OP. I can't agree. The concave buttons are not enough for me to forgive the color swap from the awesome multi-colored buttons to the gross purple ones.

The concave buttons are a great touch though.

Charamiwa

Banned
Not only do I prefer the colored buttons, but the US console design is really awful.

You can make a point for the concave buttons and maybe the color scheme (even though I really hate it) but the whole package is worse by a good mile due to the console itself.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
While I'm sure that the fact that I grew up with the US Super Nintendo controllers has something to do with my preference, I think an argument could be made for it being the superior iteration of the SNES controller with nostalgia removed from the equation.

What say you, GAF? Does everyone just prefer the controller that they used as kids, or do some of you prefer one over the other regardless of that factor?
Never knew the buttons were physically different.

And yes, US buttons with PAL/JP colour scheme would achieve perfection.
Not only do I prefer the colored buttons, but the US console design is really awful.

You can make a point for the concave buttons and maybe the color scheme (even though I really hate it) but the whole package is worse by a good mile due to the console itself.
That too.

The PAL/JP console design was far better than the US one.

I grew up with the SNES, but I prefer the SFC controller. I find concave buttons to be uncomfortable, so they're a negative for me, and the SFC colour scheme is better.

theaface

I'd almost be inclined to agree with the OP (despite the purple colour sucking), but the fact that it's only the X/Y buttons that are concave mitigates that advantage significantly for me.

It's not like out of four face buttons it's hard to know which one you're pressing, so if the benefit is ergonomic, why didn't they make all four buttons concave? Concave or convex, I'd personally prefer to have a consistent feel to the cluster of buttons.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck nostalgia is a strong thing if you prefer the purple one.

Not even gonna start over that "lunchbox" you guys got

emag

Yup, I prefer the NA version too, both the buttons and the colour scheme. It just feels better too. I had both as a kid and the PAL/SFC design was the ugly P2 controller for when you had friends over.

Disagree:

That's a custom paint job.

Purdy

Looks like a toy printer lmao

I'd almost be inclined to agree with the OP (despite the purple colour sucking), but the fact that it's only the X/Y buttons that are concave mitigates that advantage significantly for me.

It's not like out of four face buttons it's hard to know which one you're pressing, so if the benefit is ergonomic, why didn't they make all four buttons concave? Concave or convex, I'd personally prefer to have a consistent feel to the cluster of buttons.

I always liked the mix in buttons because the tip of your thumb fits into the concave buttons, and the convex buttons fit well under the bottom of the knuckle. It's perfect for holding with your thumb diagonal across the buttons.

I have no idea why people hate the US colours so much. I like 'em. It's more understated than the Super Famicom.

Also the concave buttons I agree are excellent.

Top Bottom