• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Nintendo (US) controller > the Super Famicom controller due to concave X/Y

linkboy

When I was stationed in Japan, I made it a priority to pickup some Super Famicom controllers. Ended up paying $70 for the system, two controllers.

11 years later and that Super Famicom is my defacto SNES. I have a SD2SNES to play my English games on it (so no modding is required) and I use the 8bitdo SFC controllers with HD Retrovision's SNES component cables (and my Samsung HDTV supports 240p over component).

I freaking love my SNES setup.

I've never really been a fan of the US SNES, even back in the early 90's when we originally got ours. It got even worse when I saw the SFC\PAL SNES, and it's something I've always wanted.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Concave buttons were so nice. Great tactile feel, and a bit of comfort.
I just really liked the feeling that my fingertips were being cupped slightly.

Also the two shades of purple looks better.

Apath

Concave feels marginally better, but the differences are so minimal I'm not sure it even matters.
Concave buttons were so nice. Great tactile feel, and a bit of comfort.
I just really liked the feeling that my fingertips were being cupped slightly.

Also the two shades of purple looks better.
I also like the purple better. The gray and two purple tones go very well together.

Eh. I'm not sure how much more comfort you can get out of concave buttons. I don't think I ever stopped to think "hey, those X and Y buttons sure feel great!"

Don't really see the advantage.

WhatNXt

1200px-PSX-Console-wController.jpg

uss_new_jersey_6219214852.jpg

😎

ps3.jpg

Charamiwa

Banned
Let me take a look at my controllers.

Xbox 360 hooked to my PC? Convex buttons.
Steam Controller? Convex buttons.
Wii U gamepad? Convex buttons.
Wii U Pro Controller? Convex buttons.
Pokken Tournament controller? Convex buttons.
DualShock 4 on PS4? Convex buttons.
Switch Joycon? Convex buttons.
Switch Pro Controller? Convex buttons (even slightly flatter than the rest).
New 3DS and New 3DS XL? Convex buttons.
PS Vita? Convex buttons.

Hmm. I can safely say I have absolutely no issues with convex buttons. Give me those sweet colors any day. Glad I managed to pre-order one on Amazon UK... although I would have pre-ordered one anywhere in Europe anyway :p

Yeah for some reason all of a sudden in this thread concave buttons are the best thing to ever happen to a video game controller it seems. Their life must be suffering nowadays.

Velikost

NTSC Super Nintendo is canon. Anything else is alt facts. Famicom colored buttons look cheap, and the dark grey on the console looks like butt.

Currently drafting a bill to deport anyone in God's country who disagrees, because they clearly hate America.

Nintendo's righting their wrong with the SNES Classic to settle the concave/convex debate once and for all!
http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

ZGvimoj.png

Further proof Nintendo has no idea wtf they're doing. They look concave in the other image that shows both the console and the controllers; hope this is just some Photoshop oversight or something.

I'll never understand people saying colorful buttons are better than the glorious purple ones. That skittles looking shit doesn't fit the classy and alien design of the SNES controller, the purple ones are what god intended mankind to achieve. It looks subdued and cool, it would be jazz while the rainbow one would be metalcore.

WhatNXt

What is the SNES logo supposed to be? It never made sense to me.

Always seemed to me like the two base buttons were in perspective but for emphasis the added face buttons were perpendicular and given accents.. If they were in the same perspective as the base buttons, and behind them, those accents would just be the parts of the top buttons that are masked from view. Coming from the two face button NES it would make sense to play on the extra buttons as well as the colour scheme. It's not amazing or anything but it did become very iconic.

I think most of Nintendo's logo choices have been pretty good actually. The cubic N64 and gamecube logos, the Wii logo, the Switch.. All pretty nice!

A.fter seeing the Super Famicom on import back in the day and then seeing how it was butchered to suit the American market as a European I was hoping PRAYING that was not the version we would get. NOE did us proud and delivered the right version to us.

I think people are forgetting that they also changed the logo over here. We didn't see one that looked like the button colors, we saw this.

AKgD9Wx.png

Also Mario RPG's battle menu looked different here

Super_Mario_RPG_battle.png

So don't worry folks, all these posts about how the SNES referenced the button color all the time don't quite apply as much here. We weren't quite THAT dumb as kids (though the colors still showed up on occasion).

inner-G

Banned
I'll never understand people saying colorful buttons are better than the glorious purple ones.

Ever notice how many Super Nintendo games use the SFC button colors?

The [ ! ] blocks in Mario World, the tracks in Mario Kart, the colors of the cars in F-Zero...

The color scheme was ingrained into the first-party software itself, but it was lost on US gamers.

That said, the US-style concave buttons are far superior. You don't look at the controller while you're playing, you feel it.

The indent makes platformer games just feel better for me. The tactile feel of running with the concave Y button just feels right for me. I do like the colors on the Famicon though

Ever notice how many Super Nintendo games use the SFC button colors?

The [ ! ] blocks in Mario World, the tracks in Mario Kart, the colors of the cars in F-Zero...

The color scheme was ingrained into the first-party software itself, but it was lost on US gamers.

That said, the US-style concave buttons are far superior. You don't look at the controller while you're playing, you feel it.

Probably would have been most beneficial in fighting games

Who does this with any controller?

Well, every time a special edition Xbox 360 or X1 controller gets announced that doesn't have the colored buttons I see a lot of folks complain how it makes games harder to play, so I guess there are quite a few people who look at their controller fairly often.

Personally I've never cared too much about button color. NES was red, SNES was purple, Genesis was black, so I never got used to relying on color.

Well, every time a special edition Xbox 360 or X1 controller gets announced that doesn't have the colored buttons I see a lot of folks complain how it makes games harder to play, so I guess there are quite a few people who look at their controller fairly often.

Personally I've never cared too much about button color. NES was red, SNES was purple, Genesis was black, so I never got used to relying on color.

I don't think too many people look at the buttons while playing

Crazyorloco

I love gaf, how is this thread 4 pages? lol After years of playing on the SNES I didn't even mind the concave buttons, but I think I would prefer those too.

I would argue that the concave buttons take longer to press because there is a slight depth to them.

You know what, I want to know why most controllers have convex buttons...there has to be a good reason to this.

Most games have you holding down the Y button a lot. Concave feels better when you have to hold that a button that much. So yes.

Exactly. Concave Y is analogous to Mega Man X for me. There's a load of nostalgia attached to the feel, which is the main purpose of the SNES Classic in the first place. No other controller has those concave buttons that I know of.

Exactly. Concave Y is analogous to Mega Man X for me. There's a load of nostalgia attached to the feel, which is the main purpose of the SNES Classic in the first place. No other controller has those concave buttons that I know of.

Yeah, I've played through MMX using a SFC controller. It's not preferred.

Dishwalla

Banned
Said it before and I'll say it again: people who prefer the Euro SNES over the North American SNES are wrong, just like the people who prefer the name Mega Drive over Genesis are wrong. It's as simple as that.

I always forget just how awful the US version of the SNES was until I see it online.

The Pal version is so much nicer looking it's not even funny.

Should've been concave+convex+multi-colored. I noticed a couple of games color-coded their button prompts. It wasn't done much for obvious reasons, which is a shame since it could've helped players differenciate the buttons much more easily. Also a shame they haven't brought back button coloring on their recent controllers, now that they're using the button diamond again.

emag

Do we even know why America got the ugly as sin redesign after all ?

For the system itself? There's an issue of Nintendo Power from 1991 that discusses it. As I recall, it was to avoid having people set their drinks on top (was a major repair issue with the NES that NoA wanted to avoid).

Top Bottom