• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Nintendo (US) controller > the Super Famicom controller due to concave X/Y

Wooooord. Something a lot of knock off snes controllers fuck up. Legit one of the first things I looked for with the classic announcement. Lol

US SNES reminds UK people of this too much

4537344302_9af4a4a3b1.jpg

GamerJM

Banned
Didn't know the Super Famicom one had non-concave buttons. That's another thing it has over the US one in my eyes then. Not a fan of concave buttons.

woopWOOP

I imported at US SNES at one point just to legitimately play through a US copy of Earthbound I also imported

Those concave buttons felt weird as shit man, I couldn't get used to it
I'll just take the convex buttons, thanks

The Giant

Banned
It's always funny that you Americans will defend the hideous snes you received. Cause you will always be wrong, till the end of time.

molnizzle

Do you have a reason for that? You don't hit all four buttons with the same parts of your fingers, so there's no reason why they should match.

Consistency. Particularly in fighting games.

I think the only reason people have nostalgia for the concave buttons is they work pretty well for holding Y to run in Super Mario World. For most other games they don't make sense.

Button equality for all!

Why is concave inherently better? I think I prefer convex.
on small controllers like the SNES, especially with how close the buttons are, your hands shift in the way they hold it often. The separation in the buttons style was a nice passive indicator to which set you were touching. Its not needed in anyway, but it was a small benefit.

Type40

I swapped the purple buttons with colored ones from an ascii turbo controller on my main controller back in the day. Not for any specific reason, just thought it looked cool.

But man, the UK system design is such shit compared to the US system. The boxy shape is so much more pleasing.

JusDoIt

Stop. Concave buttons are trash. I'm American. I grew up with Purple Stuff too. But there's a reason why you don't see concave buttons on no other controllers. I'm guessing NoA must have asked for some because our arcade cabinets had janky ass Happ parts with concave buttons back in the day. Everybody knows the convex Japanese style is better.

But there's a reason why you don't see concave buttons on no other controllers.

That reason being...?

Everybody knows the convex Japanese style is better.

Literally everybody knows this?

Do you have a reason for that? You don't hit all four buttons with the same parts of your fingers, so there's no reason why they should match.

Exactly! The concave is nice for the thumb pad to rest on, convex is nice for the middle of the thumb. I don't see any reason why they need to be the same.

XandBosch

Completely with OP here.

I remember my parents bought us a second SNES controller, it was a third-party controller but it was based on the S. Famicom controller instead, multicolour buttons etc. My brother and I fought over who got to use the SNES Controller because of the indented buttons. We hated (and I still do) the buttons on the other controller, which I later found out was how everyone played on the Super Famicom.

Yuck.

It's hardly debatable as the 4 colors were intended to be part of the console DNA (see the logo), all the way to the games:

tumblr_l8s5xnw7em1qz97zdo1_500.png

snes_emu_2.jpg

yeah super mario rpg was also like that

Super_Mario_RPG_JP_Battle_Buttons.png

they changed the colours for the US release to match the controller and you can see how much worst it is

super-mario-rpg-screenshot-goomba-battle.jpg

maxcriden

on small controllers like the SNES, especially with how close the buttons are, your hands shift in the way they hold it often. The separation in the buttons style was a nice passive indicator to which set you were touching. Its not needed in anyway, but it was a small benefit.

Oh, I see. That's interesting, thank you. I'd like to try it out then.

hirokazu

The American SNES is hideous and so is he controller. I didn’t know about the concave buttons though, that sounds like a good idea even though I’ve never had any problems.

But given they’ve changed it back for SNES Mini, looks like EU/JP controller wins, no contest.

Mr Rivuz

Consistency. Particularly in fighting games.

I think the only reason people have nostalgia for the concave buttons is they work pretty well for holding Y to run in Super Mario World. For most other games they don't make sense.

Button equality for all!

It's just nostalgia, concave buttons are useless if not even annoying. Am i wrong or not a single console came out in the following 25 years with concave buttons?

There are four buttons. Do you really need two concave buttons to be able to tell which button you're pressing? There is a reason it's not used on any controller today.

DerZuhälter;241954468 said:
Yeah, it's way superior. That's why Xbox and PlayStation to this day use a two-colour button scheme for their gamepads.

Sarcasm? Microsoft and Sony have both always had four different colors on their face buttons on their default controllers. MS even use the same colors as Nintendo. X = blue, Y = yellow, A = green, B = red. Sony use pink, red, green and blue.

JusDoIt

That reason being...?

Literally everybody knows this.

Convex and flat buttons allow for more consistency. There's no sweet spot you have to hit. The entire button is the sweet spot. Concave buttons don't have the same throw across the entire surface. This is more noticeable on larger arcade buttons than the SNES, but it's still a factor on gamepads, which is why modern gamepads avoid them.

Convex and flat buttons allow for more consistency. There's no sweet spot you have to hit. The entire button is the sweet spot. Concave buttons don't have the same throw across the entire surface. This is more noticeable on larger arcade buttons than the SNES, but it's still a factor on gamepads, which is why modern gamepads avoid them.

Yup. Concave buttons are pretty terrible. You can't slide your thumb over them.

D.Lo

I wonder if the US SNES would have sold better if they hadn't redesigned it to look like Megatron's bed with a frilled skirt and girly lavender highlights?

I mean the Mega Drive was pretty 80s bad-ass looking, the US SNES is pretty embarrassing looking by comparison. The Super Fami/PAL SNES doesn't look 'bad ass', but has that '90s tech chic'.

Nope. Multi Colour over purple everyday.

Same. Miyamoto agrees too. That has to give us some points.

"Actually, this reminds me that with the Super NES controller we put the multicolored buttons on the face of the controller, and then the US office decided not to keep that. I told that story to Apple, and how I liked the use of color in their old logo. "

That's a solid endorsement, right? XD

MDave

Hah, the lighter purple buttons on the US are concave just like the Parma Violets too. I'm guessing this is the primary reason we didn't get the US scheme here in the UK, so kids don't try to chew the controllers, pick the buttons off and eat them.

Peltz

It's hardly debatable as the 4 colors were intended to be part of the console DNA (see the logo), all the way to the games:

tumblr_l8s5xnw7em1qz97zdo1_500.png

snes_emu_2.jpg

Yep:

hqdefault.jpg

Super_Mario_RPG_JP_Battle_Buttons.png

I don't have a preference - both are cool. But I really wish NOA didn't do the redesigns on the NES and SNES. They kept their hands off starting with the N64 and I think that was for the best.

Edit: Beaten... I guess I do prefer the Japanese/EU design. I have all the controllers just for the hell of it.

Pizza

I've always loved the NA SNES most

The PAL one is a close second: combining the aesthetics of the US and JP consoles

damn, I had never realized.

I did because oddly enough, one of my 2 Super Nintendo controllers had the japanese buttons.
It had a normal length cord, so it wasn't an actual Super Famicom controller.

Sadly it was the one that broke first, and became stigmatized as the "bad controller". It was missing heavy kick in street fighter due to it's busted shoulder button.

Hah, the lighter purple buttons on the US are concave just like the Parma Violets too. I'm guessing this is the primary reason we didn't get the US scheme here in the UK, so kids don't try to chew the controllers, pick the buttons off and eat them.

Why would anyone try to eat a Parma Violet?

phaeta

American here. I had an SNES in high school. I always thought the colors were shit. Lack of concavity aside, the Super Famicom color scheme and industrial design are clearly superior.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Let me take a look at my controllers.

Xbox 360 hooked to my PC? Convex buttons.
Steam Controller? Convex buttons.
Wii U gamepad? Convex buttons.
Wii U Pro Controller? Convex buttons.
Pokken Tournament controller? Convex buttons.
DualShock 4 on PS4? Convex buttons.
Switch Joycon? Convex buttons.
Switch Pro Controller? Convex buttons (even slightly flatter than the rest).
New 3DS and New 3DS XL? Convex buttons.
PS Vita? Convex buttons.

Hmm. I can safely say I have absolutely no issues with convex buttons. Give me those sweet colors any day. Glad I managed to pre-order one on Amazon UK... although I would have pre-ordered one anywhere in Europe anyway :p

Nintendo's righting their wrong with the SNES Classic to settle the concave/convex debate once and for all!
http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

ZGvimoj.png

Wow wait, they have fucked it up? Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

The NA SNES was perfect because of the buttons. It became apparent after awhile why they were perfect to me as a child. SMW and DKC were perfect examples because you held "Y" The whole time you were playing to run. The thumb just sits so ergonomically in that spot. It was like a glove. Wow they messed it up SMH

JusDoIt

Let me take a look at my controllers.

Xbox 360 hooked to my PC? Convex buttons.
Steam Controller? Convex buttons.
Wii U gamepad? Convex buttons.
Wii U Pro Controller? Convex buttons.
Pokken Tournament controller? Convex buttons.
DualShock 4 on PS4? Convex buttons.
Switch Joycon? Convex buttons.
Switch Pro Controller? Convex buttons (even slightly flatter than the rest).
New 3DS and New 3DS XL? Convex buttons.
PS Vita? Convex buttons.

Hmm. I can safely say I have absolutely no issues with convex buttons. Give me those sweet colors any day. Glad I managed to pre-order one on Amazon UK... although I would have pre-ordered one anywhere in Europe anyway :p

Convex are more ergonomic and responsive. Concave buttons was America trying to be different just to be different.

Top Bottom