• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

neshcom

Banned
I dig the new Perfume song, but I love that future bass sound. The verses are pretty water-y and I don't love losing the beat in the second measure of the chorus. Sounds more like Capsule ft. Perfume than a pure Perfume jam.

Do y'all think this is a radio edit or will it just be a short single?

PillarEN

Well, I think language isn't a problem if the song is composed from the groundup for a language, the problem is they normally want to keep the meaning and sentences of the song, so we end up with messy songs like some Beyonce spanish songs, or some of the Shakira dual tracks. It's not a big deal when the translated section is its own thing, like English version of Despacito. Most of the times, the issue comes from having a main version and getting exposed later to the translation, which will always be more awkward.

I honestly think that language is one of the least important things in what makes japanese music what it is. For example, the Your Name OST in english still feels like japanese music for me, but the lyrics still work, IMO.

Hmm. Interesting perspective. What got me thinking this was two songs from Sublime. One which is the Spanish version and one which is the English version. In my memory I thought they were just language swaps, but turns out the songs were adjusted a little too. Though maybe not because of the lyrics but just for having a different cut instead of just using a different language over the same instrumental track

Chica Me Tipo (original)

Chick On My Tip
(English version)

Posting non-Japanese music here. I hope you all don't mind :/

-------
I wasn't aware that the Your Name OST had English in it. I saw the subtitled version on a plane ride. Maybe I'm just forgetting an English RADWIMPS song in the movie though.

Kurita

They rewrote the songs with English lyrics specifically for the international release. (they kept "Zenzense" for the chorus though which is pretty funny)
I'm just used to the originals so it's a bit weird, but RADWIMPS has quite a lot of songs in English/with English so at the end of the day it doesn't change that much I guess.

That new MONDO GROSSO jam reminds me of waking up at like 2am watching MTV2 after hours and listening to a lot of the stuff they aired during that time. The kind of song you listen to during a night drive.

clem84

Gold Member
Those familiar with Japanese tickets and concerts...

If I buy a concert ticket that was obtained through the fan club of a Japanese artist, will I likely need to show an ID proving I'm the fan club member whom this ticket was meant for?

The obvious answer is yes, probably, but I wonder how strickly this rule is enforced. I'm considering buying a ticket for LiSA's fall tour at the Nakano Sun Plaza on November 9th in Tokyo. I'm not sure why but on ticket resale websites, like Viagogo, this concert is not listed. I'm thinking it might be fan club members only.

Anyway... These things are pretty pricy so I won't buy one unless I'm reasonably certain they'll let me in. What are my odds here?

Kurita

Bought multiple tickets via fanclub presales and never got asked for my ID. That being said, Japan is cracking down on resalers/scalpers lately, and some shows introduced ID checks in 2017

As for the show you want to go to, I just checked, and it's not a fanclub only event, it's just soldout.

Kurita

Ishige Akira (vocals/guitar from the telephones) started a new band called Yap!!!, and they released 2 songs digitally today
DHPRcpuU0AAHLhl.jpg
Big fan of his, so I was excited to learn about this project. Gave the two songs a try and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it sounds a lot like the telephones actually.

Kurita

Pretty great, and I recommend the drama that goes with it : Shimokitazawa Die Hard
Absurd short stories taking place in Shimokitazawa.
Ame no Parade are in charge of the ending theme and it's also a dope song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RRMR9wdYVo

04 Limited Sazabys「Squall」
Pop-punk at its finest like always from these guys.

a crowd of rebellion / MATSURI WWWeapon
From their amazing new album released today

she seems to have a lot of songs so hopefully we're not too far away from an ep/album.

I feel kinda bad because there's only 60 some people watching.

e: lol nevermind she literally just said there's something coming out

She's apparently going to the NMFJ canada tour as an opening act.

"I. Will. Go... Canada."

Cuddler

Hi guys, first post here, I don't follow Japanese music as much as I do with Korean music even if I like a lot of Japanese songs thanks to anime (of course), but I recently found out an interesting Japanese band and I wanted to post about them. The name of the band is "caino" and they released some pretty great songs. They released a new song recently called "Cannonball Floor", there is a snippet of it on Youtube:
キャノンボール・フロア/ caino 配信限定シングル trailer
and the full song is also on Spotify:
caino - Cannonball floor
The second song they have on Spotify is my favorite from them, it's called "Landscape":
caino - Landscape
this song is so good imo. They also released a mini album title "Mahoroba" which contain the only song they have with a MV, "Parametric E.Q.":
caino 『Parametric E.Q』 Music Video
not sure if I understand the story in the MV (but then I also have no idea about the lyrics) but the scenery is beautiful (I think, but I'm not sure, they are from Okinawa and the MV was filmed in Naha). They also launched a campaign to fund the MV for "cannonball floor":
https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/38382?token=1oipwo09
everything is in Japanese but I think they are far from reaching what they wanted unfortunately. All of these songs and the mini album are also available on iTunes. I hope you guys like them!

Kurita

So I fucking love supercar

What other stuff can I listen to besides supercar that will be dope
Early releases of Base Ball Bear maybe. Their indies compilation is pretty much heavily influenced by Supercar (well, before Supercar went electro-ish).

If you just want great stuff that doesn't necessarily sounds like them (kinda throwing random bands that are essentials to me) :
Kana-Boon
yonige
Chatmonchy (you like Shishamo, so you cannot not like Chatmonchy)
Fujifabric
Straightener
10-Feet
The Oral Cigarettes
andymori
My Hair is Bad
cinema staff
The Mirraz
The Back Horn
Asian Kung-Fu Generation

I could mention 50 more bands but these should keep you busy for a moment

Nor501

I was finally able to watch the 2 PVs from 9mm parabellum bullet's album Babel on their YouTube. I don't know when they removed the region lock on them but I'm glad they did. Also been listening to Miyuki Nakajima's song Chijou no Hoshi and I like it so much I also got Demon Kogure's version.

Kurita

Had no idea TK and Nakano (from Boom Boom Satellites) formed a unit together called PANDAS. They played at the pre Summer Sonic event (their second live performance, they did one song earlier this month at Rising Sun Rock). Looks like it's a pretty great electro/dance music project from what I can gather on Twitter, and they wear suits lol. Excited to hear some of their stuff soon.

Kurita

Randomly came across that song on Spotify a while ago, it's alright yeah. That being said 200k in two weeks isn't that noteworthy? Especially since they're helped by the boom/current interest for this kind of sound. I guess it's a good view count for a indie band tho

On the other hand, Daoko and Yonezu Kenshi already accumulated 10 million views for their collab since August 9, jesus lol (I know I've been listening to it every day)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tKVN2mAKRI
If the movie is a hit this might be this year's Zenzense haha
Yonezu hype is real (please release an album soon).

Aizo

Banned
Has nobody posted about the La La Larks album on the 30th? Coming out of nowhere. Is it just all their singles collected? Can't believe it took this long to release a damn album! Insane. One of the first bands I saw live in Japan.

Kansoku

Has nobody posted about the La La Larks album on the 30th? Coming out of nowhere. Is it just all their singles collected? Can't believe it took this long to release a damn album! Insane. One of the first bands I saw live in Japan.

V

New info on la la larks first album: http://natalie.mu/music/news/238305

And yeah, they sure took their time with it. Since they were taking so long I was banking on siraph being my SFP replacement, so it's great to see them releasing stuff.

Aizo

Banned
V

And yeah, they sure took their time with it. Since they were taking so long I was banking on siraph being my SFP replacement, so it's great to see them releasing stuff.
Missed that. Thanks! So weird. They were damn good live. Heard so many songs back then that they hadn't even released. Most of their setlist was unreleased songs haha

Kurita

2 - ケプラー
It's the new band by The Salovers's former vocalist (a fantastic band that vanished way too early), and it sounds exactly like them, so I'm a happy man. Very energetic guitar rock, close to that "seishun punk" sound that makes you want to sing along, fist in the air.
Excited to hear their first album, VIRGIN, on October 4th. 12 tracks, 30 minutes, I'm sure it'll be great.

Top Bottom