• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

I think the only song we have in America from any of these Sony Music groups is the AKB48 song from Wreck-It Ralph (Sugar Rush). Otherwise there's nothing.

On the one hand, it's smart because I probably wouldn't have spent the money to import the album if it was on Spotify (since I just end up ripping the CD to play via Spotify on my phone anyway), but on the other hand there is almost no exposure to these groups over here so there's no real chance for growth. There must be some interest from someone at Sony since Who Killed Daigoro Tokuyama? was subbed and put on Amazon Prime, but who knows. As much as I love Keyakizaka46, I don't really see a market for them over here other than the diehards in threads like this.

Oh, just for the record, for anyone, in the US: Nogizaka and Keyakizaka both have their stuff on Apple Music. AKB is still a hold out there though. Maybe due to how many labels and etc their music has spanned across.

Kurita

Just came back from Gesu no Kiwami Otome's show at Shibuya WWW X.
God damn, already in my top 5 favorite shows ever. Insane energy, ridiculously good musicians, fucking hilarious MCs... Kawatani is a great frontman and gives everything he's got from start to finish. Dude lives for music and you can feel it.
Setlist was great, nice variety of eras (they didn't play Watashi Igai Watashi Janai, Digital Mogura or Kattena Seishungeki which I was looking forward to, oh well).
They all danced on a weird techno beat after Darumasan which was just the funniest shit.
So yeah, Gesu fucking rules. I already knew that but I didn't expect their shows to be that good.

Oh, just for the record, for anyone, in the US: Nogizaka and Keyakizaka both have their stuff on Apple Music. AKB is still a hold out there though. Maybe due to how many labels and etc their music has spanned across.

Thanks; I always forget about Apple stuff. Didn't even remember they had a streaming service. Whoops! Oh well still happy withy my physical album. Japan does packaging right.

Tricot and Polkadot Stingray played together tonight as well apparently; hire me to wherever you work in Japan, Kurita! I'm N3 level! I'm smart! My mom told me! I must attend these shows!

https://twitter.com/yoshidayusuke/status/892302700880175104

https://twitter.com/HZshizuku/status/892444636035244033

PillarEN

Just wanted to talk a little bit about Spotify. I was back in the States this month. After about 10 days or so Spotify told me I was using the wrong region (CZ) and made me switch to the US. No biggie except that I was afraid of what would happen to my access for certain Japanese artists. For some nothing really changed and I wasn't really checking if they were there or not unless I was in the mood to listen to them.
Well I was in the mood for some Sheena Ringo and literally all but one random track does not exist on US Spotify for her. Booooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I went on to delete the Spotify app from my laptop. Opened my Opera browser and made it choose s Netherlands VPN and I went to the Spotify website to change my region to Holland. Restarted my computer (as I was still getting US Spotify for some reason on the web player.
Success! Sheena is available in the Netherlands too so I was able to get my fix. I don't care much for the app anyway so using the Opera browser to trick Spotify for my stay was much better than no Sheena due to complete bullshit region contracts.
Which leads me to my next point. I hate all region blocking no matter what. Espetially with sports broadcasting.
Uh wait. We're talking music here. The Pillows should get on Spotify already. Wouldn't surprise me if they are the most torrented Japanese band in history. I blame their label. And man Sheena's label has always been super anal about people uploading her music. It wasn't until Spotify that I could actually recommend her to normal people and not super computer nerds for a change. Japan does the worst job of marketing their music worldwide. A complete shame given how so much awesome music is being made there. Crime of the century. Get with the digital times ya punks. And that's coming from a person that loves to buy CDs. Doesn't change the fact that I rip em all and my listening for the year is 99.5% digital either through streaming or playing MP3s/FLAC. One day I'll become a vinyl collector. Just need a better gif to support that habit.

/rant
I just love Japanese music and wish the world could hear it more easily. Shit I hope every creative person wants people to access their work.

Just wanted to talk a little bit about Spotify. I was back in the States this month. After about 10 days or so Spotify told me I was using the wrong region (CZ) and made me switch to the US. No biggie except that I was afraid of what would happen to my access for certain Japanese artists. For some nothing really changed and I wasn't really checking if they were there or not unless I was in the mood to listen to them.
Well I was in the mood for some Sheena Ringo and literally all but one random track does not exist on US Spotify for her. Booooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I went on to delete the Spotify app from my laptop. Opened my Opera browser and made it choose s Netherlands VPN and I went to the Spotify website to change my region to Holland. Restarted my computer (as I was still getting US Spotify for some reason on the web player.
Success! Sheena is available in the Netherlands too so I was able to get my fix. I don't care much for the app anyway so using the Opera browser to trick Spotify for my stay was much better than no Sheena due to complete bullshit region contracts.
Which leads me to my next point. I hate all region blocking no matter what. Espetially with sports broadcasting.
Uh wait. We're talking music here. The Pillows should get on Spotify already. Wouldn't surprise me if they are the most torrented Japanese band in history. I blame their label. And man Sheena's label has always been super anal about people uploading her music. It wasn't until Spotify that I could actually recommend her to normal people and not super computer nerds for a change. Japan does the worst job of marketing their music worldwide. A complete shame given how so much awesome music is being made there. Crime of the century. Get with the digital times ya punks. And that's coming from a person that loves to buy CDs. Doesn't change the fact that I rip em all and my listening for the year is 99.5% digital either through streaming or playing MP3s/FLAC. One day I'll become a vinyl collector. Just need a better gif to support that habit.

/rant
I just love Japanese music and wish the world could hear it more easily. Shit I hope every creative person wants people to access their work.

Good rant. Copyright is crazy. I just finished reading Fast Forward: Hollywood, the Japanese, and the Onslaught of the VCR, which is all about the fight over television recording devices with Hollywood in the 80s. Sony Japan is the side fighting for the "people" in this chapter in history because they wanted to sell Betamax players. And yet Sony Music Japan today doesn't grant access to watch their music videos on YouTube in the US. It's all a crazy game of someone in power thinking limited access is best for the bottom line but really no one knowing and the entertainment companies usually being smart enough to make a big profit off of everything at the end of the day anyway.

Aizo

Banned
Yeah... She's not the artist that I liked anymore. I'm fine with artists experimenting and doing new things, but... when it's so much different from what you liked in the first place? I'm not interested in listening to her anymore.

Aizo

Banned
So, I've been getting into an electronic mood recently, and been enjoying some IDM-y Glitch (Pop) stuff, and am looking for recommendations for something like Shohei Amimori's SONASILE, effe, some of Go-qualia's stuff, and other interesting electronic music (like AOR).

Do you guys know of anything?
I think maybe one of the things I recommend will be what you're looking for. Let me know.
ametsub, arai tasaku, ferri, matryoshka, serph, N-qia and... VMO is IDM, but I don't think that's what you're looking for haha.

Sorry if I sent too many things that are more ambient.

Kansoku

Hey, pretty good. I`ll check him out.

I think maybe one of the things I recommend will be what you're looking for. Let me know.
ametsub, arai tasaku, ferri, matryoshka, serph, N-qia and... VMO is IDM, but I don't think that's what you're looking for haha.

Sorry if I sent too many things that are more ambient.

Ametsub sounds really close to Go-qualia's more ambient stuff.
Arai Tasaku reminds me of WEG's SEVEN IDIOTS and babuchan, I like it.
Ferri sounds nice
For some reason my mind always associated matryoshka with mutyumu, good to see they're not like them =P
serph sounds really nice as well
How didn't I think of N-qia!
VMO tho, not really what I was looking for really hahaha

Ok, I need help finding an artist and song. All I remember from the MV is the single female artist wearing jeans? and a bunch of women dressed in white dresses?, they varied in ages. They were all standing in a grassy river side area i think. I know it's vague as hell but I just looked back 20 pages in this thread trying to find it with no luck lol. Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Slowdive

Banned
Amazing lineup

56jzTCg.jpg

Aizo

Banned
Moga is leaving Dempagumi.
She has got to be their most famous member, right? I see her on magazine covers all the time in Japan. I don't know the names of any of the other members and don't listen to them, so she seems to be very popular if even I know who she is.

Are they screwed without her? I didn't read the article. Is she gonna solo sing or try to get into acting or just model more?

she's been doing a lot of TV co-hosting lately. She's also the member with arguably the least singing/dancing skill so I'm not at all surprised she's just focusing on her other things.

Imagine all the gravure...

She has got to be their most famous member, right? I see her on magazine covers all the time in Japan. I don't know the names of any of the other members and don't listen to them, so she seems to be very popular if even I know who she is.

Are they screwed without her? I didn't read the article. Is she gonna solo sing or try to get into acting or just model more?

She is likely the most well-known member among the general public due to modeling, etc. but that doesn't make her the most popular among fans of the group. I definitely wouldn't say they are screwed without her. However, an important part of Dempagumi's appeal is the narrative of how they worked together to become successful against all odds despite being a group of nerdy misfits. Moga was a depressed shut-in video game addict before joining the group and the fact that she became so popular was perhaps a tad inspirational to people in a similar situation. I feel like she was the archetype for a lot of idols you see now who might be dealing with certain mental health issues and of course idoling is no substitute for real treatment, but putting yourself out there and doing something is still surely better than wasting away all alone. Eventually those underlying issues are going to catch up with you though and I feel like that may be the case here. Moga often expressed feeling self-conscious about her own problems inconveniencing the group as a whole despite reassurances from the members and fans, so it's really disheartening that it seems she came to the conclusion that she would always feel like a burden.

well even if they do go bust, Mirin can be a full time video game streamer, Pinky has that side project with those finnish twins, Nemu's got a bunch of stuff...

...and the other two can go back to waitressing?

Aizo

Banned
These are true stories about the members or a narrative constructed to seem endearing to fans? I'm not exactly keen on believing something about idol members histories or personalities.

taopriest

The artist contribution list for the today announced STRAIGHTENER 20th Anniversary Tribute Album "PAUSE" is impressive.

ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION、ACIDMAN、9mm Parabellum Bullet、go!go!vanillas、THE BACK HORN、the pillows、SPECIAL OTHERS、back number、My Hair is Bad、MONOEYES

http://natalie.mu/music/news/243783

jbug617

Banned
Don't know if this going to be a big scandal but some magazine got a photo a girl took of Keito from HSJ asleep after sex. His hair style is different so it doesn't look like the incident happened this year.

It's bad timing because they are doing the 10yr Anniversary stuff.

Don't know if this going to be a big scandal but some magazine got a photo a girl took of Keito from HSJ asleep after sex. His hair style is different so it doesn't look like the incident happened this year.

It's bad timing because they are doing the 10yr Anniversary stuff.

I knew it would be Keito who got caught in this particular scandal!

Yama-chan remains as vigilant as always.

Keito is like..23-25 or something though, so it's not going to be a huge deal. Yamapi/Nishikido/Akanishi used to get caught up in that stuff all the time, Tegoshi does too sometimes

Top Bottom