• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America Issues Statement on Stolen Switch Systems

Persona7

Banned
In that reveal thread I warn that Robot should blur out the bar code. I was told I was being ridiculous because its nothing Nintendo can do

Possession is nine tenths of the law in the U.S

In the original situation of receiving a unit early there is little they can do. Obviously, the situation changed once the full story came out. Nintendo does track serial numbers so it wasn't exactly difficult to find out where the leak originated.

big_erk

nxLmAkD.gif

Yes, I'm Kazuma.

I can at least thank the people for the world exclusive unboxing.

The switch does not look cheap in any way and it actually looks like a premium device.

Nintendo did well on design.

Hattori

Banned
Damn, it's crazy how quickly they were able to crack down on the guilty parties. Anyone that doubts the power of serial number registrations have been warned.
Nintendo consoles are serious business, you actually have to scan in the serial in a PoS register before a sale like Apple products

Nairume

Banned
Those were probably systems people had preordered.
Yeah, that's the really shitty thing about all the people saying that Nintendo should have let him keep it. Depending on how many got stolen, it stands a good chance people who actually ordered theirs through legit means could have to wait on getting theirs.

CrazyHorse

So if I got one I'd be fired from my job which doesn't sell video games?
Will I also be expelled from my university?
:p

Nintendo ninjas don't play.
I bet Nintendo wanted to do a direct x unboxing themselves

It was the retail employee that got fired for theft. Not sure if any buyer did.

Baleoce

Ninja memes aside, what makes this bigger than any other case of prematurely released tech? This doesn't feel like that big of a deal.

Cerium

Why did hiphoptherobot claim that it had been shipped to him early from a retailer?

Was he involved in the theft?

Nah he is not the one facing criminal charges as he didnt stole anything.
He was sold the stolen unit.

Reminds me of the rumour that the ESRB Smash Bros. leaker got fired and sued. Nintendo has no mercy.

Hiphoprobot said in another thread that he simply gave them the system back and that was the end of it, but who knows.

Hiphoprobot, post if you're okay.

He's obviously not the thief. Nintendo's statement confirms that the console was resold (which he himself confirmed) and whoever stole it in the first place is under investigation.

No, the PR specifically only mentions the distributor employees. It does briefly mention Hiphoptherobot, but it doesn't look like he is trouble, at least according to him.

If they just bought it from the theives, they should be ok. The seller is in trouble here.

Thanks for the response. I knew Hiphoprobot got the Switch early but besides the first couple of posts I didn't really read the thread. It sucks that he had to give it back and was mostly fucked out of the money he paid for it.

I would have never told anyone I have gotten it early.

gogogow

Yeah, that's the really shitty thing about all the people saying that Nintendo should have let him keep it. Depending on how many got stolen, it stands a good chance people who actually ordered theirs through legit means could have to wait on getting theirs.

Now someone in the US is gonna get a system that's been used :/

Ninja memes aside, what makes this bigger than any other case of prematurely released tech? This doesn't feel like that big of a deal.

Probably the fact that it blew up the way it did the past couple days, and it was only one unit which made it into someone's hands.

FyreWulff

The funny thing about people saying not to worry about serial numbers is Nintendo is literally the inventor of the serial number registration and tracking systems that most electronics companies use today.

They're like the first company to not show a serial number to, lol

I remember being amazed calling in our GameCube for warranty repair in 2002 and the customer service guy rattled off exactly when and where we bought it.

Justified

In the original situation of receiving a unit early there is little they can do. Obviously, the situation changed once the full story came out. Nintendo does track serial numbers so it wasn't exactly difficult to find out where the leak originated.

Still if you get things ahead of the street date, you should make sure your Mom and Pop store cant be traced as the seller, if that was the case.

So to me no matter if he somehow got it early buy a legit sale or from a thief you still cover your tracks

It became a big deal because the gaffer who purchased the stolen goods, then posted videos of the unit and UI, and then tried reselling on Reddit. Lots of attention and obviously Nintendo was able to track where the units were stolen from because of the serial numbers.

Other big case of stolen electronics before a launch like this was the iPhone 4, which was a big deal at the time.

Because the story started on GAF with a GAFfer being sold a stolen Switch.

It's more personal and the poster pretended that he didn't buy a hot Switch at first so there were lots of twists and turns in the story.

Why did hiphoptherobot claim that it had been shipped to him early from a retailer?

Was he involved in the theft?

No, but he obviously bought the stolen unit, then tried to play it off that his pre-order shipped early, because who would admit they bought something that "fell off the back of the truck"?

EDIT: Didn't realize hiphop tried to re-sell the Switch on Reddit. Wonder if that could get him in trouble.

Who here would not jump on a chance to buy a nintendo switch early?

I am sure many would out of pure excitement and anticipation for the system.

Unfortunately the share everything culture backfired big time.

Got

Banned
It became a big deal because the gaffer who purchased the stolen goods, then posted videos of the unit and UI, and then tried reselling on Reddit. Lots of attention and obviously Nintendo was able to track where the units were stolen from because of the serial numbers.

Other big case of stolen electronics before a launch like this was the iPhone 4, which was a big deal at the time.

ya got your timeline a bit mixed up

Cerium

No, but he obviously bought the stolen unit, then tried to play it off that his pre-order shipped early, because who would admit they bought something that "fell off the back of the truck"?

He was also trying to sell a system on Reddit though, just seems odd.

Nanashrew

Banned
Basically a Gaffer bought a stolen good and recorded the unboxing and UI which indirectly helped Nintendo find the real thief.

ya got your timeline a bit mixed up

Did he try to sell it first, and then posted the UI? Doesn't really matter either way, dude was still trying to get rid of a unit he didn't get from a retailer, even though that was his story that they sent him his preorder early.

Top Bottom