• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America Issues Statement on Stolen Switch Systems

Cerium

For HipHop to be charged with a criminal offence, it would need to be proven that he/she knew the Switch was stolen when he/she purchased the unit. That is a gray area and it looks like Nintendo won't be pressing charges against HipHop, but the argument could be made that buying something two weeks before actual release from a non-retail source should be a big enough red flag to at least question the merits of how the item was obtained.

If he didn't know, then why would he lie?

Jetku

It's really absurd to me that Nintendo has units with retail distributors and yet hasn't had the final reveal of the OS. All Switch timing is crazy - I can't believe it's out in less than two weeks.

daffy

Banned
It's really absurd to me that Nintendo has units with retail distributors and yet hasn't had the final reveal of the OS. All Switch timing is crazy - I can't believe it's out in less than two weeks.
Well if the statement is anything to go by, they planned on letting us discover how barebones it is for ourselves

_PsiFire_

if i purchased it early i woulda kept my mouth shut

internet fame is not worth it

got what they deserved

Even if you kept hush-hush; you'd be found out as soon as the stolen unit accesses Nintendo's servers. Unless you never set up WiFi on the thing then you'd be in the clear but if that were the case, what would be the point of having it?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If he didn't know, then why would he lie?

hiphop can always argue that he only know after he goes on the internet after he purchased the Switch.

And that's why he say its a gray area thingy and Nintendo is conducting a thorough investigation. To understand the exact circumstances where he obtained the Switch and stuffs.

LordofPwn

Wow Nintendo is savage, saying we all have to wait till March 3rd before discovering what features the system have. Guess no direct.

So the unit hiphoprobot? received wasn't actually shipped to him from a retailers but was actually resold to him?

Jonboy

Are we responsible? Did gaf do this?

I'm kidding, in case it wasn't obvious
32110110334_1b7c841315_o.gif

Smellycat

Even if you kept hush-hush; you'd be found out as soon as the stolen unit accesses Nintendo's servers. Unless you never set up WiFi on the thing then you'd be in the clear but if that were the case, what would be the point of having it?

Nintendo would still have found out since the other units probably would have been eventually sold.

Branduil

This is actually good PR for Nintendo- it keeps the Switch in the news and plants the idea of "wow this new system must be really desirable if people are stealing it before it releases." Reminds me a little bit of some of the crazy news leading up to the PS2 launch.

Oppo

Someone made a thread earlier that made it sound like Nintendo had just taken the system away from hiphop without compensating him.

yeah i saw - isn't that the usual case with stolen stuff? i still don't understand the point of this statement.

Branduil said:
This is actually good PR for Nintendo- it keeps the Switch in the news and plants the idea of "wow this new system must be really desirable if people are stealing it before it releases."
are you kidding me. no one knows about this except die hard Nintendo fans and forum dwellers.

diablos991 said:
Beautiful.
Hope to see the people who stole prosecuted by Nintendo's lawyers.
right. ok. no more Switch threads for me. i forgot how fucking crazy some of you get.

Cerium

yeah i saw - isn't that the usual case with stolen stuff? i still don't understand the point of this statement.
The OP was trying to make it sound like hiphop was a victim.

The thread title was changed after it became clear that he was at the very least involved in the attempted resale of stolen goods.

AdanVC

Holy shit, I've never thought Nintendo would release an statement about this. That is insane! Nintendo Ninjas don't mess around.

The lead up to the Switch launch continues to be amazing.

Lol, true. This just increased the hype 80% more! Even more know that we know that the UI is nice and fast.

Regarding the question of if Nintendo should "refund" HipHop for the price he paid on the stolen Switch unit:

The money that exchanged hands being refunded to HipHop is the responsibility of the person who sold HipHop the stolen Switch. Since the item was stolen, HipHop can go after said party (through legal means) to get his money back.

Legally it was HipHops responsibility to give back the Switch to its rightful owner (Nintendo) once it was brought to his attention that the Switch was stolen. For HipHop to be charged with a criminal offence, it would need to be proven that he/she knew the Switch was stolen when he/she purchased the unit. That is a gray area and it looks like Nintendo won't be pressing charges against HipHop, but the argument could be made that buying something two weeks before actual release from a non-retail source should be a big enough red flag to at least question the merits of how the item was obtained.

Great write-up. Yea, he should be glad he wasn't charged. Don't know what state he's in but some places have an easier hurdle in proving the mens rea.

Haines

Banned
I was really suprised he didnt post all of that stuff under a fake id to the internet and keep himself in hiding.

If i got a switch early id prob email giant bomb under a fake email and ip and go from there

are you kidding me. no one knows about this except die hard Nintendo fans and forum dwellers.

right. ok. no more Switch threads for me. i forgot how fucking crazy some of you get.

What does this have to do with crazy Nintendo fans? They committed a crime, why shouldnt they be prosecuted?

And tech news sites do get a big audience.. this isn't bad pr.

What an event. This was like that night when ntkrnl randomly appeared. CBOAT levels of fudgery happening. Looks like the saga is over for now tho. Stay strong hiphop. Thanks for the vids. I believed you when you said the console was shipped early. Not sure what to believe now. But whatever. Switch in 2 weeks!

PXgWoJQ.gif

Effect

The funny thing about people saying not to worry about serial numbers is Nintendo is literally the inventor of the serial number registration and tracking systems that most electronics companies use today.

They're like the first company to not show a serial number to, lol

I remember being amazed calling in our GameCube for warranty repair in 2002 and the customer service guy rattled off exactly when and where we bought it.

They keep better track then law enforcement and guns.

Wow, everyday you learn something new!

Yup. For those interested here is an article about it from back in 2008.

https://www.innovativeretailtechnologies.com/doc/retail-product-registration-0001

Slayven

What an event. This was like that night when ntkrrnl randomly appeared. CBOAT levels of fudgery happening. Looks like the saga is over for now tho. Stay strong hiphop. Thanks for the vids. I believed you when you said the console was shipped early. Not sure what to believe now. But whatever. Switch in 2 weeks!

PXgWoJQ.gif

CBOAT, now that is a throwback

Top Bottom