• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America Issues Statement on Stolen Switch Systems

What an event. This was like that night when ntkrnl randomly appeared. CBOAT levels of fudgery happening. Looks like the saga is over for now tho. Stay strong hiphop. Thanks for the vids. I believed you when you said the console was shipped early. Not sure what to believe now. But whatever. Switch in 2 weeks!

PXgWoJQ.gif
Awww maneee that was a wild night lol. That man just came through and wreck the butt

Crazyorloco

Nintendon't play.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but if I was HipHop I would've posted anonymously. Glad we got the details he shared, but he should have damn well known that he was playing with fire.

Dat E-fame though.

Not worth it in my opinion. Especially when the law is Involved. Two weeks away too. It's stupid.

Why did hiphoptherobot claim that it had been shipped to him early from a retailer?

Was he involved in the theft?

So it's harder to trace who sent it to him. He's covering for them. No retailer has shipments yet and I don't think they'll be this stupid..

Again...the person who made the videos because dumb shits on the internet begged him to and not to sell the console, was not one of the people in trouble. He was the one who bought it.

Obviously he was told to return it to not get in trouble and to help the investigation.

Yeah....they're the dumb shits in this situation...

Pandy

hiphoptherobot
I am, in fact, just some guy in a police line-up.
(02-16-2017, 08:59 PM)

Thank you for the threads, hiphop.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Dat E-fame though.

Not worth it in my opinion. Especially when the law is Involved. Two weeks away too. It's stupid.

So it's harder to trace who sent it to him. He's covering for them. No retailer has shipments yet and I don't think they'll be this stupid..

He's not going to be able to cover up for them for long if they take legal actions like obstruction of justice

Crayolan

Even if he didn't know it was stolen, if you get your hands on something you shouldn't have that early, you should probably keep your mouth shut.

If he was directly involved with the theft, then whatever, he deserves this.

Tusk

Good thing he didn't go through with selling his Switch and sent it back to them right away. Probably would have gotten in some trouble.

Grassy

Wow, so hiphoprobot threw these guys straight under the bus for some internet fame. I mean they might have been caught eventually but he just gave them up.

why would thieves sell hiphoprobot a switch at retail price?

They paid nothing for it, $300 profit straight up.

Did he know it was stolen? If he did why would a knowingly buy a Switch that was stolen.

I think it's highly likely he would have known the people he was buying it from and where they worked, getting a new console ~2 weeks before it even launches should have set off alarm bells.

"They shipped it early bro"...yeah sure.

Damn, one day hiphop is everyone's hero for showing them the UI, the next day he's scum and should rot in jail.
If you knowingly bought a stolen (unreleased) item and also tried to profit from it then yes you are scum. At the very least we now know this is true as it was proven he tried to sell the item on Reddit.

On top of this, several people likely won't get or will have delayed shipments of their item if it was part of the stolen set, which is even more people affected than just Nintendo.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Lmao what a journey its been folks. A SunhiLegend gif would seal the deal.

Crazyorloco

As much as I want the Switch I would never post online that I got it early given my knowledge about how strict release dates are for companies. I know hiphoprobot has probably given themselves a little time out from the internet. I know I would.

And for those feeling bad for hiphop, he will probably get a system or he can just create a gofundme (if it isn't created already) and the gaf supporters will pay it.

random25

I just woke up to this news...Damn. hiphop got lucky that the only bad thing happened to him was getting the Switch confiscated back.

rpmurphy

Wow, so hiphoprobot threw these guys straight under the bus for some internet fame. I mean they might have been caught eventually but he just gave them up.

They paid nothing for it, $300 profit straight up.

I think it's highly likely he would have known the people he was buying it from and where they worked, getting a new console ~2 weeks before it even launches should have set off alarm bells.

"They shipped it early bro"...yeah sure.
I think the better question is why would thieves sell it at MSRP two weeks early? Something doesn't quite add up to me, but whatever.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm pretty sure buying known stolen goods is just as offendable as stealing them. Pretty sure hip hop could have had a much more severe punishment

Something was off when hearing hiphop got his early from a retailer and he didnt want to get them in trouble. Bullshit 2 week s early?, he knew he was guilty from the start and lied. Im sure he intended to keep it a secret but neogaf peer pressure got the best of him

I mean as soon as those systems went online Nintendo probably knew exactly where those systems came from. Whoever stole this from their place of work is an idiot

At least we finally saw that UI...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
In that reveal thread I warn that Robot should blur out the bar code. I was told I was being ridiculous because its nothing Nintendo can do

Possession is nine tenths of the law in the U.S
Lmao I remember reading that exact sequence of comments

Top Bottom