• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Noi

headermbua7.png

"A smaller force defeating a much larger army... That is the beauty of strategy."

Welcome to the Warriors series community thread, where we discuss all the intricacies of pressing a combination of pressing the square and triangle buttons over and over again in different patterns. While intended as a thread for discussion on Koei's Warriors/Musou series, discussion on other genre-related games like Sengoku BASARA, Ninety-Nine Nights, and other unrelated games that share the base "Musou" gameplay style is more than welcome.

Spanning over 40 games in the series, the influence left by the Musou-style gameplay can be traced to many other unrelated series and genres.

mainv2yxkgb.png

main2v2shkxo.png

main4v2s7jo4.png

What GAF thinks about the Warriors series:
Is there really a best Musou? It's the same game with a different skin on it. They are all mediocre mindless hack and slash. Just pick a theme you like, and you will probably like that one the best.

I can't believe Jim likes Dynasty Warriors. Ugh.

What objectively correct people think about the Warriors series:
As a huge Dynasty Warriors fan, it pains me to so often hear the series referred to as absolute garbage, the worst of the worst, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the series. But I'll be the first to admit that it's not an AAA franchise, or an AA franchise, or even an A franchise. It's firmly rooted in the B-tier category of games. But it just absolutely baffles me when people treat the series the same way they treat licensed movie games and Gameloft shovelware. I mean, if the series were such garbage, why then does it have such a passionate fanbase not just in Japan, where it regularly tops sales charts, but all around the world? I often hear the complaint that the series is just rehash after rehash, but I strongly suspect that the people saying this are basing their stance off of the low scores most Western review outlets (with the exception of Jim Sterling from Destructoid) give the series, and haven't actually played a Warriors game since DW2 or DW3.

But the series HAS changed and evolved over time. Sure, it's still essentially the same sort of battlefield action game it always was, but then Call of Duty is still the same FPS it always was, Assassin's Creed is still the same open world action adventure game it always was, Street Fighter is still the same one on one fighting game it always was. But all of these series have changed and evolved over time. Just like Dynasty Warriors. From the perspective of a fan, the difference between Dynasty Warriors 2 and Dynasty Warriors 7 is the same as the difference between say, Tekken and Tekken 6.

Jim Sterling on Twitter said:
People who bash Dynasty Warriors really don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
should games like kamen rider battleride war or sengoku basara be considered as 'spinoff's?

I'm not the OP, but if you ask me: No because this is specifically a Warriors thread, and the OP specifically deals with Koei's titles.

Also, thanks for using one of my quotes in the OP, Noi! :D

Sophia

should games like kamen rider battleride war or sengoku basara be considered as 'spinoff's?

Maybe have a little mention for their slightly similar gameplay, but no, they're not spinoffs. Spinoffs are Koei-developed games that follow the same style as the Warriors series.

I really need to get Dynasty Warriors 8, a few people in the PersonaGAF community have been waiting to play with me. And all my main characters look awesome in it, especially Daqiao.

Noi

Those aren't made by Omega Force, they're different developers entirely. I made a little note at the top saying that talk about games related by genre is more than welcome, but this thread is primarily about that Koei's series.

Also, thanks for using one of my quotes in the OP, Noi! :D

Gotta make that tag live up to it's name!

Maybe have a little mention for their slightly similar gameplay, but no, they're not spinoffs. Spinoffs are Koei-developed games that follow the same style as the Warriors series.

No one reads the OP. ;_;

One of my favorite series of games! I'm pretty sure I've played every game in the OP. Life long Wu fan!

Before discussion turns to mostly Dynasty/Samurai Warriors I'd like to give a quick shoutout to Trinity Souls of Zill'Oll. The game is actually really good, and if you enjoy the Musou games then definitely give it a try.

Noi

pirate warriors 2 is pretty great

they're all pretty great though so it's great in a pool of great

great

When are you up for finishing Wu/starting Jin in DW8? I'm gonna have to stop myself from using the 5* weapons I've already gotten so Normal isn't a total breeze anymore.

When are you up for finishing Wu/starting Jin in DW8? I'm gonna have to stop myself from using the 5* weapons I've already gotten so Normal isn't a total breeze anymore.
we never started wu, we played wu together

But whenever, I'm usually always available. Just make sure to contact me on Twitter!

also making this shit too easy, smh

Best series ever.

I don't think Bladestorm is a musou game though.
It's technically not, but Joan was in Warriors Orochi 3, so who knows? lol

Coxy

Orochi 3 ultimate is definitely getting a western release right?
I'm so hyped for atelier and soul calibur characters

I'd really really love to see a full on crossover warriors with a huge cast from loads of games

Noi

Best series ever.

Neither was the first game in the Sangokumusou series, technically! Still developed by Omega Force though, so it counts.

we never started wu, we played wu together

But whenever, I'm usually always available. Just make sure to contact me on Twitter!

also making this shit too easy, smh

woops, I meant Shu obviously. I'm doing Wu on my own right now!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
there's not many games out there that let you choose from wide range of unique and interesting characters and let you just run wild on 100s of enemies.

yes its bit of a button masher at times but then again i can look at many other games in the same way.

i quite enjoy now and then just loading up a dynasty warriors game and annihilating many enemy's and feeling like a bad ass

Paging AlphaTwo
What? Look, I've made one of the lesser known and probably the least liked game on that list there (in addition to 2 ports to the PSP), so I don't know why you're paging me. My fascination and study on Musou (and any of it's derivatives) area really trying to understand what people like about them, and how that can transfer to other games.

Yawnier

Banned
I haven't played a PS3 version on dynasty warriors yet.

Which one should I try out?

If you don't mind paying $60, Dynasty Warriors 8 (which is my favorite DW title of the generation, everybody is decloned and has a unique weapon, free mode is back, story mode is great, etc.).

If you don't want to pay that much, there is Dynasty Warriors 7 which is also good.

Avoid DW6 like the plague -- it did a few things right but its not a good game to play as a newcomer to the series.

I am in the minority in that I liked DW6 a lot, way more than DW5, which I felt was very stale for some reason. DW3 and 4 were awesome, as was SW 1 and 2. (SW3 is the new DW5, so stale) I would still stay away from 6 if you are trying to get in or back in, since none of the other games are like it really.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Are any of the portable titles worth it? I'm still catching up on the series (went from DW2 to DW7).

Edit: Also, is it worth it to buy the older Gundam games if I have Gundam 3?

Are any of the portable titles worth it? I'm still catching up on the series (went from DW2 to DW7).

Either the PSP version of Warriors Orochi 2 (actually the best version of the game with the most content) or the Vita game Dynasty Warriors NEXT are good.

Dynasty Warriors Next is a really great game, outside of the obvious "showing off system features" things that are always in launch titles. Give that a go if you'd like, there's should be a demo on PSN. This is a Vita game, BTW.

Exr

Orochi 3 ultimate is definitely getting a western release right?
I'm so hyped for atelier and soul calibur characters

I'd really really love to see a full on crossover warriors with a huge cast from loads of games

Is this confirmed to be coming out in the west? Probably digital only but I'm game. What's this about Soul Calibur characters? Warriors Orochi 3 already had such an absurd amount of characters...I've been playing since DW3 and I can safely say Orochi 3 is the definitive version for me.

Coxy

could be, depends what you want from them.
DWG1 has the best story mode stuff
DWG2 has considerably different combat with more emphasis on ranged combat and much longer battles against the giant mobile armours

Noi

I'm of the opinion that Gundam 3 is the worst of the series. Both 1 and 2 treat the IP better, with 1 having the best Story mode and 2 having the best gameplay. 3 strips every map of it's variety and it's just hundreds of missions where you do the exact same thing for every one.

Is this confirmed to be coming out in the west? Probably digital only but I'm game. What's this about Soul Calibur characters? Warriors Orochi 3 already had such an absurd amount of characters...I've been playing since DW3 and I can safely say Orochi 3 is the definitive version for me.

they randomly added Sophitia Alexandra from Soul Calibur in there.

soph3.jpg

Noi

Not confirmed for the west yet, but new guest characters include Sophitia from Soul Calibur, Kasumi from Dead or Alive and Sterk Cranach from the Atelier series.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I love the Dynasty Warriors and Orochi series, but I'll always hold a preference for the smaller scale of fighting seen in Dynasty Warriors 5 and before, when getting 1,000 K.O.'s was a little more meaningful.

Still, I'm excited to try 8, once it comes down in price a bit.

Either the PSP version of Warriors Orochi 2 (actually the best version of the game with the most content) or the Vita game Dynasty Warriors NEXT are good.
Just a note about WO2 PSP, it's not exactly a stright PS2 port either: The JP version has 3 character skins to cross-promote the Strikeforce series (hey, why isn't Strikeforce up in OP?); whereas the EU/NA release added the 12 dream stages that were found in the Orochi Z release.

Noi

Just a note about WO2 PSP, it's not exactly a stright PS2 port either: The JP version has 3 character skins to cross-promote the Strikeforce series (hey, why isn't Strikeforce up in OP?); whereas the EU/NA release added the 12 dream stages that were found in the Orochi Z release.

It's right there!

(I know it got a PS3 port, but it was originally a portable title so it goes in the portable section~)

Camwi

Best series ever.

Close enough, and it's an absolute blast, too.

Just started playing Warriors Orochi 3 the other day, and I have to say that it's one of my favorite Musou games yet. The music is much better than most, and I love the characters added from other series.

Plus, as with the other Orochi games, it's refreshing to not play the same RotTK scenarios over and over again.

Orochi 3 Ultimate is probably not coming out here.

I'll say it has a chance or Koei hasn't decided on it yet.

From Inspchin's (Koei's EU Community Manager) Blog:

- Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate (PS3 & PS Vita) currently is for Japan only.
- Samurai Warriors 2 HD is for the Japan only.

So it sounds like for sure the HD SW2 ports will never leave Japan but WO3U could maybe.

I rather have them tell us straight up if it's coming over or not so I can import it.

Noi

Maybe Tecmo will pull an Atelier and stealth release them on PSN one day without telling anyone. You never know!

Camwi

I am in the minority in that I liked DW6 a lot, way more than DW5, which I felt was very stale for some reason. DW3 and 4 were awesome, as was SW 1 and 2. (SW3 is the new DW5, so stale) I would still stay away from 6 if you are trying to get in or back in, since none of the other games are like it really.

The main reason why I loved DW5 so much is because they gave a unique ending for each character, which made playing through with each of them more rewarding.

Btw, does anyone know if Pirate Warriors is ever coming to the US? Is it time to just import the thing, since I see it has an English translation?

Shadow780

This is pretty much modern day side scrolling beat-em-ups for me. Yay community thread!

Hopefully we'll get SW3Z+Empires one day in the west as digital.

Top Bottom