• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo functions revealed; Fusion Difficulty, Fusion Suit

Shiggy

Fusion Mode is locked behind an amiibo. Nobody said anything about Hard Mode. I'm confident we'll be able to unlock Hard Mode just be beating the game, Fusion Mode will be the same thing with a reskinned Samus.

By they way, let's remember you had to have have GCN-GBA cable to unlock the Fusion suit in Prime and two GBA and the link cable to unlock the Fusion gallery in Zero Mission. So locking some extra content behind additional physical things is nothing new for Metroid.

Fusion Mode is the hard mode.

VDenter

Banned
It still irks me when I play Prime trilogy, look at the extras, and realize I can't get half of them because they're tied to the asinine friend voucher system that doesn't even fucking work anymore.

I managed to get around this issue by just importing a empty save file that had all those vouchers already in the game through an SD card as soon as i got the game. So it is still possible to get those.

TheMoon

Fusion Mode is a more difficult mode with the Fusion Suit. Nobody said there won't be a more difficult mode (called "Hard Mode") where you'll play with the default suit.

But you see, we have to burn the house down NOW! That way they'll know we're serious! Why bother waiting to find out what's actually the case and what isn't when you can get the party started early!

I managed to get around this issue by just importing a empty save file that had all those vouchers already in the game through an SD card as soon as i got the game. So it is still possible to get those.

Yup, just download the save for your region's copy off of gamefaqs that has all that stuff unlocked but clean saves otherwise and you're good to go.

The game is going to bomb anyway. It's way too late for a game like this on the 3DS; that audience has moved on.
It absolutely is, you won't see the game do well anymore on that platform. The hardcore fans buying Metroid games aren't on 3DS anymore. You could already observe that movement with the difference in sales between FE Fates and FE Echoes.

Wouldn't count on this being true in the slightest. The fact that every special edition has sold out along with the Amiibo denotes the fact that the game has some pretty big interest. Enough to at least match the performance of Fusion back on GBA.

As for Echoes not performing as well as 'proof' that this won't perform, well..l. Keep in mind FE had multiple installments on the same system. If you wanted your FE fix on 3DS, you could have gotten it on the system years ago. Metroid? Not so much. Outside of Federation Force.

I'd like to see something a bit more reasoned then this. Especially as the trailer for SR has gotten quite a bit of views compared to Echoes.

Defect

If this is the ONLY way to get a harder difficulty then it is stupid but not a deal breaker.

Skipping a new 2D Metroid is laughable.

Rncewind

Eh, I really disagree with Zelda being the bad example. A lot of cosmetic stuff with those amiibo's, sure. A nice extra with Wolf Link. But nothing beyond the realm of cool cheats or costumes.

As for Nintendo heading in some AAAAWFUL direction, I don't think so. We've seen worse from them before with both Amiibo and DLC(Fire Emblem comes to mind) and even after those they've reversed course, still trying to strike the best balance.

you say disagree but you are proving me right, they locked dungeons (twilight princess) and things like even features which were not in the game like wolf link

TheMoon

you say disagree but you are proving me right, they locked dungeons (twilight princess) and things like even features which were not in the game like wolf link

no dungeons were locked behind anything in TPHD.

it was a combat cave like the one already in the game which people hated anyway because nobody like playing as Wolf Link ...

Novocaine

$60 worth of amiibo to unlock those features, 2 of which aren't manufactured anymore and are nigh impossible to find.

Nintendo-840x420.jpg

Check Gamestop for second hand amiibo bins. I got them both from EB Games for $4AUD a piece.

Rncewind

it was a combat cave like the one already in the game which people hated anyway because nobody like playing as Wolf Link ...

yeah totally ok because your arbitary measurement of people hating it, ok

TheShinobi

Neo Member
Speaking of the metroid amiibo, is there any way at all to get them in canada? I have been looking everywhere but cant seem to find them.

Pretty much this. Content that was added was nothing more then a variation of what was already present.

yeah totally ok because your arbitary measurement of people hating it, ok
So in other words: you know you're wrong but actually you're right anyway because of arbitrary reasons. Otherwise known as not willing to admit you're wrong. OK

Gator86

Check Gamestop for second hand amiibo bins. I got them both from EB Games for $4AUD a piece.

"I would like to play this mode in a game I plan to buy."

"Well, you're gonna have to go digging through bins until you can find access to it."

Amazing. Nintendo has managed to merge all of the downsides of DLC with all of the downsides of physical goods with the added bonus of their blazing incompetence at production/distribution.

I really hope this is just an error in translation or communication and playing through the game actually unlocks these functions and the amiibos just unlock them prematurely.

It would be pretty terrible otherwise, not matter if I actually have all these amiibos or not.

I mean, people with a regular 3DS (XL) are pretty fucked too, as they'd need an extra amiibo scanner for extra money.
Sounds like a really stupid idea to me to lock all these things behind amiibos.

TheMoon

I really hope this is just an error in translation or communication and playing through the game actually unlocks these functions and the amiibos just unlock them prematurely.

It would be pretty terrible otherwise, not matter if I actually have all these amiibos or not.

I mean, people with a regular 3DS (XL) are pretty fucked too, as they'd need an extra amiibo scanner for extra money.
Sounds like a really stupid idea to me to lock all these things behind amiibos.

no, there's no error. the info is clear on that it unlocks AFTER you've beaten the game. the UK site is very explicit about it.

the only question mark that still remains if it is is the ONLY way to unlock is, which they're not (annoyingly and stupidly) not saying.

but there is zero wiggle room about what the amiibo themselves are doing. they drop items during the game and unlock these things after you beat the game.

Novocaine

"I would like to play this mode in a game I plan to buy."

"Well, you're gonna have to go digging through bins until you can find access to it."

Amazing. Nintendo has managed to merge all of the downsides of DLC with all of the downsides of physical goods with the added bonus of their blazing incompetence at production/distribution.

I'm not condoning or defending Nintendo here, just giving the guy an option if he wants to try and find a couple of amiibo on the cheap

TheMoon

Great, this dance is finally over. Now it would just be nice if they had also asked if this is the only hard mode or if Fusion mode is just an added twist on an existing hard mode. But baby steps, I guess.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm gonna go ahead and jump to the bargaining phase and hope that there's a regular hard mode sans Fusion Suit and that it's only a silly cosmetic change.

dan2026

I expect this to be standard in a lot of Nintendo games going forward.

People will still buy into this anti consumer crap, so there is no reason for Nintendo to not double down.

I'm really tired of reading this thing.

IT WAS NOT THE SAME. They rewarded players who bought both games with a COSMETIC. A damn COSMETIC thing and the god damn GBA-Cube cable came free with some Game Cube games (FF crystal Chronicles for example). So you could get this cool COSMETIC thing just by being a Metroid fan buying both games because, ya know, if you are a metroid fan you GET THE GAMES.

Now they are locking a whole dificulty content behind a stupid overpriced toy. It's not even a similar situation.

Stop trying to compare both situations, they are diferent in every damn level.
i think dishonest discussion among the members of the gaming community is a far worse practice than a company trying to bleed some extra money from a group of dedicated followers.

For everybody to see. Here's my post in it's integral form, emphasis on the highlighted :

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=245715506

This new Nintendo has some pretty disgusting practices. Shameful
Born in the 2000s?

Heard of a console named GameCube? And coincidentially heard about the Prime and Fusion games.

And well, there's is a hard mode available which was supposedly the main concern some had. And there seems to be another one tied to AMiibo like the Ganondorf Mode in Twilight Princess remake, which even speed runners didn't take too seriously.

So the situation did improve. Now Nintendo, offer the Amiibo unlocks as normal DLC so people can give you more money instead of buying 1 Amiibo that can potentially work across many games.

Never liked frivolous DLC but the gaming community had to support this dubious practice. Now we reap the rewars of our deeds XD

CazTGG said:
Remember when Zero Mission gave you the original Metroid for free? Sure, you had to beat the game to unlock it, but it didn't lock it behind the e-Reader or something akin to that.

Good times.
Remember when the Fusion suit in Prime was locked behind owning a GBA + Metroid Fusion + a GC - GBA Link cable?

Good times indeed.

Yet Rojox, you chose to focus on a small part taking out of context completly just to manufacture a retort that it's unwarranted. That part you replied to was in response to this comment only:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=245715228
Remember when Zero Mission gave you the original Metroid for free? Sure, you had to beat the game to unlock it, but it didn't lock it behind the e-Reader or something akin to that.

Good times.

-"GOOD TIMES"- He said. Relative to Amiibos? No they weren't so good my friend and they are worse than you remember.

Why you chose to ignore this is beyond reason. GC/GBA Connectivity wasn't limited to the cosmetic addition in Metroid Prime, there were cases that impacted gameplay even for games that weren't build around the concept. Take for example, The Wind Waker and it's tingle turner functionality. That is something more substantial than the Fusion Suit or an extra difficulty and it requiered an entire extra system and an accesory sold separetly.

The interesting thing is that i do agree with you in that Amiibo game interactivity is not the exact same thing as more standard DLC. And that both encompases a set of pros and cons.

PrimeBeef

Inform me if I am wrong here, but doesn't the Amiibo's unlock stuff already in the game? They do not download stuff or do they? Couldn't everything be cracked?

Shiggy

Why you chose to ignore this is beyond reason. GC/GBA Connectivity wasn't limited to the cosmetic addition in Metroid Prime, there were cases that impacted gameplay even for games that weren't build around the concept. Take for example, The Wind Waker and it's tingle turner functionality. That is something more substantial than the Fusion Suit or an extra difficulty and it requiered an entire extra system and an accesory sold separetly.

That's a very strange analogy. The Tingle Tuner would not have worked without a GBA at all. It depended on a second player having a second screen. A gameplay feature depending on an additional system is not comparable to an amiibo unlock at all; your comment makes it sound as if you've never used the Tingle Tuner at all. What's next? Complaining that you had to buy Wii Motion Plus to "unlock playability" in Wii Sports Resort?

TheMoon

Inform me if I am wrong here, but doesn't the Amiibo's unlock stuff already in the game? They do not download stuff or do they? Couldn't everything be cracked?

They do not.

They unlock reserve missile, energy, aeon energy tanks, additional galleries of concept art and music, a "metroid finder" feature and this additional Fusion Mode (the game itself only has the normal and hard mode [maybe it has an easy mode too, nobody knows/cares]). Fusion Mode is supposedly harder than hard mode and you wear the Fusion Suit. What it specifically is or how it is harder exactly is still unknown.

Yeah, it's trivially easy to spoof an amiibo.

it's the principal of the matter

toys are serious business for adults, this is our battle to fight

in ten years people will remember exactly where and when they decided to not spend $30 on toy figures, it'll go down in history

PrimeBeef

They do not.

They unlock reserve missile, energy, aeon energy tanks, additional galleries of concept art and music, a "metroid finder" feature and this additional Fusion Mode (the game itself only has the normal and hard mode [maybe it has an easy mode too, nobody knows/cares]). Fusion Mode is supposedly harder than hard mode and you wear the Fusion Suit. What it specifically is or how it is harder exactly is still unknown.
I guess I worded it wrong. Wouldn't the data for the unlocks already be on the cartridge? I don't think the Amiibo downloads anything to the game. So if that is the case, wouldn't it be possible to crack the game to get to all the extras without the Amiibo's?

PrimeBeef

it's the principal of the matter

toys are serious business for adults, this is our battle to fight

in ten years people will remember exactly where and when they decided to not spend $30 on toy figures, it'll go down in history
Doubt it. Similar stuff was said anout $50 & $60 games and paid DLC. Yet here we are today with these things. Not that I'm complaining. I don't necessarily have a problem with higher prices or DLC, although I rarely buy any DLC.

Berordn

I guess I worded it wrong. Wouldn't the data for the unlocks already be on the cartridge? I don't think the Amiibo downloads anything to the game. So if that is the case, wouldn't it be possible to crack the game to get to all the extras without the Amiibo's?

That's right, though in practice that's going to be out for a while. Patches that unlock it for CFW users are inevitable, but could take some time.

In theory Nintendo could patch out the amiibo functionality entirely and just unlock the stuff, but I think we all already know how likely that is.

TheMoon

Yes of course they don't download anything. It's just an unlock key.

PrimeBeef

That's right, though in practice that's going to be out for a while. Patches that unlock it for CFW users are inevitable, but could take some time.

In theory Nintendo could patch out the amiibo functionality entirely and just unlock the stuff, but I think we all already know how likely that is.

Yes of course they don't download anything. It's just an unlock key.

That's what I thought ty.

R-User!

You can now preorder the Two Pack Amiibo on Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com//site/ninten...ck-samus-aran-metroid/5931700.p?skuId=5931700

24 bucks with gamer club.

I just ordered mine and I noticed they have the 3DS Samus Edition Console preorderable too:

http://www.bestbuy.com//site/nintendo-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-samus-edition/6051700.p?skuId=6051700

Hope that helps anybody looking out.

If anybody notices Target get their preorder up for the 3DS Samus Console up could they let this thread know? I'd like to preorder from Target to save 5%. Thanks!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

http://www.bestbuy.com//site/ninten...ck-samus-aran-metroid/5931700.p?skuId=5931700

I just ordered mine and I noticed they have the 3DS Samus Edition Console preorderable too:

http://www.bestbuy.com//site/nintendo-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-samus-edition/6051700.p?skuId=6051700

If anybody notices Target get their preorder up for the 3DS Samus Console up could they let this thread know? I'd like to preorder from Target to save 5%. Thanks!

Thanks!

NowInStock is some hot garbage. They've been alerting me on and off for the last few weeks, all false positives. Now the product is actually available and I haven't gotten any sort of alert.

Edit: Ordered the amiibo and game but I'm considering cancelling the game...I want it but I don't think I'll have time for it at launch. Hmm.

PMS341

Ordered the amiibo set, thanks for that.

Would have liked to use Amazon, but at this point, securing the amiibo themselves is just too important.

Thanks man!

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thanks!

NowInStock is some hot garbage. They've been alerting me on and off for the last few weeks, all false positives. Now the product is actually available and I haven't gotten any sort of alert.

(sorry if this is not the place for this)

I don't know if it is NowInStocks fault or not. I set up a list of items that I want to preorder and I have some home grown extensions in chrome that track the Shopping Cart availability of each and manually check them a few times a day (ocd ftw I guess).
What I have noticed is that best buy has been marking items for pre-order at different times during the week off and on at different times.

While you can press the pre-order button and add them to your cart they are not available for pre order pick up or pre order shipping, and the "coming soon" only changes to Pre-Order for about 15 minutes a pop.

With the Zelda Guardian Amiibo's they have done this roughly 15 different times since June 3rd. I did get them pre-ordered but it had to get them in individual orders and I finally got the last one pre-ordered last week.

So maybe NowInStock is catching the order flag change on the site and is updating based off that?
I know they use GoogleGroups alerts for some of their items now but you get alerted on EACH item they track...you cannot change the ones you get to target a specific item (Snes Classic for example).

spad3

Picked up a Smash Samus at a Best Buy a couple weeks ago, surprised no one was looking for it.

Pre-ordered the Metroid 2-Pack from Walmart with Samus and Metroid a while back with no worry.

Turns out both were good calls in the long run :)

TheMoon

I love Metroid so much and I need a New 3DS, but god damn: that Samus 3DSXL looks like ass.

Just to be sure: you do know that the Samus "3DSXL" is a "New 3DS XL," right? They stopped making non-"New" 3DS hardware long ago.

edit: I misread "like ass" as "bad ass" which would have been more accurate. Ignore my post and enjoy your bad taste . :p

I was just able to order the Samus + Metroid Amiibo 2-pack via Best Buy This morning. Looks like they might still have some if anyone is in need. I plan to play the game on my best bud's borrowed 3DS, but I'll probably keep the Amiibo in the box. "Fusion Difficulty" isn't worth opening them up for me.

Some day my children will either love or hate me based on my Amiibo collection. It'll make them a ton of money or just be a ton of toys they need to dispose of. No middle-ground in that scenario.

Top Bottom