• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have graphics or sound ever make you not wanna play a game that you like?

EDarkness

I want to play Horizon Zero Dawn, but I don't like the look of the game or the main character. It turns me off to the game entirely.

A kindred spirit! The humor of that game is so off putting to me. I mean the entire gimmick is that everything is gross, it's all bugs, blood, snot, vomit, tears, piss, shit, and just general gore and viscera. It's right out of a 12 year old edgy boy's school notebook that he uses the back 10 pages for doodling on; it's gross and tasteless.

poodaddy
(Today, 05:05 AM)

Audioserf

Graphics + Animation?

Street Fighter 4 was such a huge disappointment for me. A big part of playing fighters is the visual feedback when you make impact with the opposing character, but everything about SF4 just looked so fucking stiff.

Still, it'll never be as bad as the NRS games for which I am eternally grateful.

Cepheus

I'd like Isaac a lot more if it didn't look so repulsive.

Also, I'm not like this, but my sister can't stand playing games with English voice acting. If there is a Japanese voice option, she picks it every time, even if there are no subtitles. I honestly don't know what difference it makes. The Japanese VA would be just as cringeworthy to a Japanese person as the English dialogue is to someone who speaks English.

Oh, and another vote for SF4. Everyone looks so ugly, and not in a charming Third Strike character design way. I'm glad 5 looks a bit better.

Gran Turismo and Driveclub's sounds were pretty off putting.

In Driveclub's case I still played the game (but haven't gone back to it in a while), in GT's case I'm actively not buying GT Sport in part because the sounds are still awful.

RedFox85

Might be an unpopular opinion but I am going to say path of exile. I think the gameplay and design is top notch really it is but the loot is straight up horrible, I am at level 30 and my character still looks like a greasy hobo running around killing critters with a rusty nail in a board. I don't know if it will put me off playing entirely but so far it's an incredibly low point in an otherwise good game.

I've avoided buying Salt and Sanctuary because of its gritty art style. It looks to be a mechanically fine game otherwise, but I just can't imagine myself playing it for hours and not getting tired of how drab everything deliberately looks. Dark Souls has more contrasting areas to keep me going.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've probably "bought" Dust at least twice now as a result of its frequent inclusion in Humble Bundles - I ain't ever redeeming that key. Just nah. Looks like your DeviantArt grab back fan bullshit. Also double whammy - the voices in the trailer are atrocious so, I guess it's perfect for this thread
this is exactly how I feel about how that game looks, but honestly it's actually worth playing in spite of that

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
I'd like Isaac a lot more if it didn't look so repulsive.

Also, I'm not like this, but my sister can't stand playing games with English voice acting. If there is a Japanese voice option, she picks it every time, even if there are no subtitles. I honestly don't know what difference it makes. The Japanese VA would be just as cringeworthy to a Japanese person as the English dialogue is to someone who speaks English.

Oh, and another vote for SF4. Everyone looks so ugly, and not in a charming Third Strike character design way. I'm glad 5 looks a bit better.

That's exactly it though. If you can't tell because you don't speak the language it can be easier on the ears.

Erheller

I would wager most of us have said to someone at least once that gameplay matters over everything else, but I'm not so proud to admit that I'm playing Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon right now (really should be sleeping tbh) and it's just fugly. It's like playing the GBA games but all the characters were hit by a fly swatter to smushed to the right.

I don't exactly have a well trained ear or anything, but I've heard Sonic Chronicles has some bad music. Which is a shame because I like Sonic music a lot.

Am I among friends here or am I just a phony gamer��

There's your issue, New Mystery of the Emblem has much better gameplay than Shadow Dragon so it's bearable to play :p

RalchAC

I dropped Borderlands 2 mainly because of Claptrap. It's annoying, the game knows he is annoying, and it still has him screaming at your ear every 15 seconds. I honestly felt the devs were laughing at me every second I endured his voice without switching off my PS3.

Definitely. I bought GTA San Andreas when it came out and was super hyped by it, like everyone else. I never got around finishing it, and every time I decide to replay it, I give up after a few missions because the graphics are so hard on the eye this much time later. The game deserves better, but I just don't enjoy it now.
San Andreas looks like absolute mud. Vice City aged much better because it was more stylized.

J2d

Yea I didn't like hollow knights visuals so I've decided to skip it even though I like metroidvanias

Jumeira

Banned
Yes, many. I couldn't stand the music and art of Twighlight Princess when you warp to the dark world, it was agony, just depressed me, it was just unpleasant like continues music that's making you cringe with a landscape that was not fun or imaginative, just dull and monotonous.

I tried to soldier through it, but your a bloody wolf, which made things worse. Hate that damn game, quit shortly after and I'm greatful I didn't stick with it.

More recently Horizon, I don't like the look of Aloy, she seems so...odd, at times crosseyed. Combination of bright blue eyes, freckles and red pleated hair that resembles a mullet looks quite horrific.

Stopped playing Zelda Skyward Sword because I couldn't stand the blurred impressionistic graphics.

I can't stand it on the wii either. Try emulator with 720p or higher, with just a bit of Msaa the game look 10X better(Unless you really hate the art style, then well....).

Edit: very surprise with all the Horizon mention. The game has the most inoffensive graphic: realism mixing with vibrant color. The main character is also has all around solid design. Or do you people hate every single female protagonist that doesn't look like a super model?

Jacqli

Yes, without a doubt. If I am not fond of the art style, I will probably not touch the game. For example, LawBreakers or Battleborn come to mind.

Also, I wanted to play Fallout New Vegas and Oblivion and I could not. The characters are ugly as sin. Although I am not interested in F4 either, Bethesda's games are really ugly in general. No idea how I could play F3 and Skyrim.

As to sound, i cannot think of anything specific. In this case I have more examples of games that I wanted to play because of their OST.

Mohasus

I love Everybody's Golf, but the characters in the new one look terrible, so I'll wait for a sale. Otherwise it would have been a day 1 game.

Painguy

You will never get me to play this monstrosity
PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT1_117523.jpg

It can. I could never play mass effect andromeda due to what an absolute pile of trash it is in terms of animations and voice acting. Both are highly important in certain genres

einer51

I saw FF9 cutscene stills in some mag in junior high study hall. I was initially disgusted by the chibi designs. Quickly became one of my favorite games to experience.

Top Bottom