• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega is shutting down Youtube channels for their new game. Exciting!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Way to completely miss the point. It was THREE WHOLE YEARS, but you describe it as not getting "an immediate response"? Like they specifically stated, "We accepted the ESA policies regarding the DMCA as well". Sega had every opportunity to pursue action against them, FOR THREE YEARS, but they conveniently waited until a day after the project was released,
Which is pretty much SOP for these kinda things. Look at rom hacks. Usually they get a cease and desist only when they're pretty much done as well. That's not new or unique to Sega.

It *is* shockingly doltish to assume that a company would be cool with that.

My initial point was drawing a correlation between this apparent new youtube issue and Sega's well-known previous similar activities towards fans and fan based projects.
My point was that stealing an IP wholesale is completely different.

djdac

I just deleted a Shining Force III commercial I uploaded a few years ago on my account just to be safe. Thanks for the heads up, wtf sega?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Because of this I checked my copyright notices. This one, I don't even:

3DTp9.jpg

Hah! Let us know if you win/lose that dispute.

Details please. I wasn't aware of this.

Uploaded some Guardian Heroes HD vids. Came back 2 days later and had a nice copyright strike waiting for me. I tried to get SoA to assist me and that didn't help anything. I took care of it by doing a counter notification but even after taking care of it my Youtube channel hasn't been the same since.

M3d10n

What a dick move. Is it possible for uploaders to not make their videos available in Japan? Maybe they could dodge corporative dickheads this way.

Alternately, a section of 2channel going rabid is also something I could entirely believe.

It's absurdly easy to get Youtube to do content takedowns if you present yourself as official enough as Youtube tend to shoot first and then ask questions later to save themselves the legal trouble. If someone there got a hold of someone's internal Sega address, They can cause all sorts of mayhem by gaming Youtube's system.

Hell, I wonder how it's not happened before.

Sega had my channel shut down last year after I after I posted an off-screen capture of one of their 3DS title's with direct sound, I was even given permission to record footage at TGS.

Ubisoft also did the same thing to me when I uploaded a footage of Assassins Creed on the the Vita, again I had permission to record the footage.

No warming...just a straight strike against my channel.

Tony Taka, what are you doing in video games.

You do erotic works silly.

Well this certainly wont bring in that pander-money, now will it?

06KXT.jpg
IEPcY.jpg

Some people in this thread seem to be confused.

Sega is not deleting videos of their new game Shining Ark but of videos for the old shining games Shining Force 3 and, probably more importantly, Shining The Holy Ark. Due to the similar names, you get more results for their old games than you get for the new game when searching on YouTube. This is something they want to stop, since they apparently regard YouTube as an important part of their marketing, but don't care for neither the old Shining games nor the fanbase of these games -- to the point that they would rather destroy the work of these passionate hardcore fans.

I wonder if this will get worse in the future as more and more publishers skip over traditional games journalism outfits and either go to Youtubers or their own walled gardens on the site to get video information out first and foremost.

Victrix

*beard*
I wonder if this will get worse in the future as more and more publishers skip over traditional games journalism outfits and either go to Youtubers or their own walled gardens on the site to get video information out first and foremost.

This is already coming, and few people have noticed it. Machinima will be the first of the 'new' games journalism. And by games journalism, I mean random youtube superstars and their followers.

I was able to find videos on nicovideo, although there honestly don't seem to be very many.

"Random footage" is one thing, but comprehensive footage showing every facet of the game 100% completed...is another. ESPECIALLY in story-based games where gameplay isn't very important.

It's because some Let's Players receive advertising revenue from showing off copyrighted material...that make it so legally gray.

You can argue that Let's Players monetize their commentary, but there are instances where the monetization is fueled by the attraction of the IP itself.

For example, Let's Players who monetize a video without any commentary at all, or Let's Players who mostly remain silent through their video.

What fuels the ad revenue in those situations? The game, not the personality. And do most Let's Players have permission from the content producer to use the game to make money on a digital platform? No.

Making money off of a let's play is ridiculous in the first place.

Because of this I checked my copyright notices. This one, I don't even:

3DTp9.jpg
This is because of how YouTube's copyright flagging system works. Viacom/SpikeTV/GametrailersTV uploaded something which included footage from that trailer or the whole trailer in it and flagged it as their original work, so anything with the same footage gets flagged too. It's a dumb system:

http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/8/6/nasa-s-mars-rover-crashed-into-a-dmca-takedown

Making money off of a let's play is ridiculous in the first place.
Why?

oneils

Totalbiscuit has the licence to do these videos there's no legal gray area

But isn't sega free to revoke the license? Not saying they should, only that they can.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if all of this is in fact Sega's doing. Sounds way too dumb. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it is someone that is trolling.

Meicyn

Gold Member
In order to claim copyright infringement on a Youtube video, you first must have a Youtube account. In order to register for said account, you must have an email address. Once you've registered, you then must activate it like you would any website account, which means you have to click an activation link that is sent to the email address you registered with.

This means that if this was indeed a troll, then the troll has access to the fujii_mutsuhiro@sega.co.jp email address, because that is the email address associated with the claimant's Youtube account. Since Sega's not in the business of giving out free webmail, I think it's safe to say that a Sega employee is involved.

Coxy

It's definitely a sega employee for the reasons Parn stated and I'm pretty sure I know who it is too, there's only one person at sega japan who publicly attacked old shining force fans calling them enemies and trolls of his wonderful games before deleting the twitter account to hide the evidence

Symytry

I wish Camelot would make another Shining Force.

Golden Sun is about as close as you're ever going to get. Doesn't Nintendo own them now anyways? They've been doing nothing but Mario games for what seems like forever now... Dark Dawn came and went and nobody even noticed, so I'm not surprised that they are where they are.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well this certainly wont bring in that pander-money, now will it?

06KXT.jpg
IEPcY.jpg

The girl on the right was the one getting dumped by the hero when he ignored her feelings and pretty much went straight to the princess even though the girl was much more useful and powerful and the princess did nothing but to sleep the whole game right?

I still remember how I felt real angry towards the hero due to that, hahaha.

That artwork is really, really adorable, and if there ever is a modern game utilizing that kind of artwork I would jump all over it in a heartbeat.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The basis of the entertainment in most cases isn't something you're providing. I can see there being cases where there's a gray area, but overall ... it seems like attempting to make money off of someone else's work to me.

I see it more like Rifftrax or MST3K or Cinematic Titanic.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm more surprised Taka games are popular in Japan. Holy shit...

I mean I can understand Shining Force EXA (that game is actually playable) and maybe the first two Taka games, but wow...

Tony Taka, what are you doing in video games.

You do erotic works silly.

What's funny is that his furry characters are more popular and his hentai art are stiff and same-looking.

Wilsongt

I'm more surprised Taka games are popular in Japan. Holy shit...

I mean I can understand Shining Force EXA (that game is actually playable) and maybe the first two Taka games, but wow...

What's funny is that his furry characters are more popular and his hentai art are stiff and same-looking.

He does make great Furry characters, but he is way too obsessed with drawing all of the Shining girls with giant tits. So annoying.

Boss Doggie

He does make great Furry characters, but he is way too obsessed with drawing all of the Shining girls with giant tits. So annoying.

tbqh the ones after Rouen are shitty furries. The best are already in Shining Wind and that's probably the best Taka game. But I guess Tetsu Inada needs to fill that "I need to voice a wolfman" quota.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So let me get this right, they don't want people to know that the old Shining games are better than the garbage that gets released nowadays under that franchise?

Boss Doggie

So let me get this right, they don't want people to know that the old Shining games are better than the garbage that gets released nowadays under that franchise?

It's a speculation, but it seems like it, which boggles my mind because I always thought they have old fans too.

Note that I think SF games are pretty meh and prefer FEDA for classic tactical SRPG.

The basis of the entertainment in most cases isn't something you're providing. I can see there being cases where there's a gray area, but overall ... it seems like attempting to make money off of someone else's work to me.

Someone doing a let's play is providing commentary and gameplay of said product that their parent company or assorted ad companies have determined of enough value to run ads on, and people are willing to watch/sit through those ads in order to view that content which they feel is valuable enough to consume vs having to watch an ad. It's a really, really simply concept.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sega is doing the lord's work in trying to erase the memory of poor off brand Fire Emblem clone Shining Force and embracing furry hentai artist laden modern Shining Force.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
They can kill all the let's play channels for all I care but please don't kill the music uploaders.

Nintendo should buy Camelot and get them to make a new Shining-style game - maybe mix things up by doing Fire Emblem on consoles and a new SRPG on portables. Variety is the spice of life - and overdoing any series (FE, Advance Wars) isn't good.

Someone doing a let's play is providing commentary and gameplay of said product that their parent company or assorted ad companies have determined of enough value to run ads on, and people are willing to watch/sit through those ads in order to view that content which they feel is valuable enough to consume vs having to watch an ad. It's a really, really simply concept.

I understand how it works.

Monocle

I wish I owned a big game company so I could threaten people with legal action when they tried to give my products free publicity.

Anyway, let's all look forward to [THE GAME THAT MUST NOT BE SEEN, HEARD, OR NAMED]. I won't personally play it because I'm afraid of being sued, but I'm sure it's awesome.

Top Bottom