• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craig Ferguson may be getting replaced as Late Late Show host

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your trolling abilities extend beyond rap. I can certainly respect that.

And your simple minded brain can't grasp people having different opinions so you call them a troll

People can have different opinions, did you know that? Can your brain even comprehend that?

akira28

I like Craig and can't see myself watching a Chelsea Handler show.

Maybe they're just saying this to play hardball during contract negotiations.

eyeless

“Obviously, we’re considering all sorts of candidates and women are among them. A woman would be great in late night.”
i don't know how anyone could really expect dude getting replaced by a woman from this quote, sounds like some typical stuff they say before they give all jobs to a white dude

I'm seriously worried about Geoff, Craig will be ok but I feel like the job climate is really tough for robot skeletons. Not to mention Secretariat will pry end up in a glue factory :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Isn't Chelsea Handler basically a bad Sex and the City character? I get that vibe every time I see her do anything.

Your posts amount to nothing more than "he sucks" with no basis to back your thoughts. So, yes, this is not a matter of accepting different opinions but calling you out on drive by trolling with nothing of value to contribute .

So post that says " he sucks" with no basis is trolling, but a post that's says "he's awesome" with no backing or basis is somehow a great addition to the discussion? There are many of the latter in this thread

I stated my OPINION that he's terrible and wouldn't mind handler replacing him, that's not trolling based on what has been acceptable in this thread

Can't say I blame them. He's one of the most annoying people on television. Not funny at all.

Yep. The fact that his smarmy, no-talent ass held a job for that long is kinda amazing though. I'm guessing people tuned in for that ridiculous accent.

Dropkick.gif

Even if you don't think he's funny, he's one of the most sincere guys on TV, and he brings a completely unique perspective to late night. I can't picture Handler (or Fallon or Kimmel, or whoever else) doing an audience free hour long interview with Stephen Fry, or going to Paris/Scotland and turning into a travel show for a week, or any of the other weird, experimental shit he does. People don't just like him because he's funny, even though that obviously plays a big part. People like him because, on a pretty regular basis, he opens up to the audience in a way that other late night hosts don't do that often.

Draconian

Would the fact that Seth Meyer's lead-in is creaming Craig Ferguson's lead-in in the ratings have any considerable effect on why his numbers are lower?

Pretty much this. Dave's ratings have been pretty bad, so that doesn't help things. It also doesn't help that a lot of the time only one of the two shows will run new episodes for the week. It also doesn't help as well when the shows get moved back because of college basketball games or Masters highlights (really CBS?) like this week. Craig has historically done the best for CBS in the timeslot, and they don't bother giving him a decent budget anyway.

Future

Pretty much this. Dave's ratings have been pretty bad, so that doesn't help things. It also doesn't help that a lot of the time only one of the two shows will run new episodes for the week. It also doesn't help as well when the shows get moved back because of college basketball games or Masters highlights (really CBS?) like this week. Craig has historically done the best for CBS in the timeslot, and they don't bother giving him a decent budget anyway.

While I agree with this, Craig doesn't have a mainstream style. Even those clips posted above show this. They are probably hilarious to people that love Craig and know his personality, but I'm not sure anyone else would think so. I mean that damn robot alone requires an eclectic taste.

Craig knows this too. Doesn't want the late show for this reason. Unfortunately, as cbs tries to compete with the new trend of late night started with Fallon, this might make cbs try something different with the late late show

Qwerkiness aside, got to give it to ferguson for being the best late late show host I've seen. The only people I ever remembered in that seat was the old daily show guy and that was pretty terrible iirc. NBC always had the better guy in that time slot (letterman, Conan), but ferguson has carved a little name out for himself for sure

Axiom

I love Craig and it would be a damn shame if he got kicked off.

I would hope that Dave would have some sway over how he's treated.

Draconian

While I agree with this, Craig doesn't have a mainstream style. Even those clips posted above show this. They are probably hilarious to people that love Craig and know his personality, but I'm not sure anyone else would think so. I mean that damn robot alone requires an eclectic taste.

Craig knows this too. Doesn't want the late show for this reason. Unfortunately, as cbs tries to compete with the new trend of late night started with Fallon, this might make cbs try something different with the late late show

Qwerkiness aside, got to give it to ferguson for being the best late late show host I've seen. The only people I ever remembered in that seat was the old daily show guy and that was pretty terrible iirc. NBC always had the better guy in that time slot (letterman, Conan), but ferguson has carved a little name out for himself for sure

I'm not denying that Craig isn't mainstream. I'm just saying the difficulty he has in ratings right now would be shared by anybody else in that timeslot due to other factors. I definitely don't think Chelsea Handler's mainstream appeal would be significantly higher either.

If you're going to shake it up, go with Aisha Tyler. Black female gamer with an Ivy League background, hosting experience, talk show experience, and writing experience.

Plausible option that would be interesting.

gabbo

What an odd series of changes in the late night landscape.

It is a shame that Fallon will get more credit than he deserves, IMO, for all these changes that are happening in the late night landscape. It's a well put together show that he has but he shouldn't be the face of it when more talented and thoughtful hosts like Craig are around.

With that said, I agree with previous poster who said this talk from Les is just posturing for negotiations.

What are they going to do, permanently turn the lights off/not fix leaks if he doesn't cave?

Bravocado

Craig's monologues about his folks passing are heartbreaking. His stories about his addiction problems are incredible. And frankly, I think he's charming and hilarious and genuine.

I wish him luck, no matter what happens.

isual

Sad day for america if Craig leaves
Loves his style, charisma and interviews with women

Learned a lot from him

It's been said before in this thread, but it cannot be said enough: listen to the audiobook of his autobiography.

He was nominated for a Grammy for it, and I don't think I would have loved it anywhere near as much if it wasn't for how he narrates it. So wonderful.

AmericanOnPurpose.jpg

Talyn

I love Craig and it would be a damn shame if he got kicked off.

I would hope that Dave would have some sway over how he's treated.
Seriously. CBS finally gets a shot to show up NBC by doing a smooth transition from one retiring host to another and they're about to fuck it up by ditching Craig in the process? If I were Letterman I'd be livid over this shit.

Draconian

Seriously. CBS finally gets a shot to show up NBC by doing a smooth transition from one retiring host to another and they're about to fuck it up by ditching Craig in the process? If I were Letterman I'd be livid over this shit.

I would expect him to throw his wait behind Craig for sure, especially since his company produces Craig's show.

neoanarch

I'm kind of wondering why NBC and CBS even need two hours of talk shows at all. Don't get me wronf Ferguson is the only one I can stand but is10 hours of programming a week really necessary? Just show some reruns for fucks sake.

A-V-B

This is insane! Replace Ferguson?! With who?! Who offers the kind of entertainment Craig does? I never watched late late night before Craig, and I'll probably never watch it after him. He's just such a unique, interesting dude. Don't do it, CBS.

So put me in the boat of people who never even watched his show until clips posted in this thread. That Morgan Freeman interview. He's a fantastic interviewer.

Keep him, let Colbert boost awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom