• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Apple could stop signing iOS 10 at literally any time, but as of right now, it's still possible.

IIRC they usually don't stop signing the previous OS until after they've released the first few updates to the new OS. So 10 should be fine until 11.0.x or probably 11.1.

Fliesen

Yeah, holding sleep/wake on the iPhone X brings up Siri so they added shut down to settings.

Well, the sleep/wake still brings up shutdown, you just need to hold it LONGER, right?

Has the removal of the home button also meant that there's no more button configuration for "hard shutdown" (as was holding home+sleep for 10 seconds) - or is that done by a different button combination now?

edit: btw, high sierra should be released today, right?

gamma

Well, the sleep/wake still brings up shutdown, you just need to hold it LONGER, right?

Has the removal of the home button also meant that there's no more button configuration for "hard shutdown" (as was holding home+sleep for 10 seconds) - or is that done by a different button combination now?

Probably gonna be the same as the 8
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/force-restart-or-hard-reset-iphone-8-and-8-plus/

jimmypython

iOS11 has been one of the more unstable releases in recent years. I have encountered numerous bugs and system freezings.

I can't believe they have gone through 10 betas and we still have so many bugs in the final release

Iphone 6S: maybe they don't like older devices.

gamma

ah, ok, thanks!

so it's "up -> down -> SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP" pretty much? That's a tad silly, but i'm glad there's still a way to force a shutdown when the OS is frozen, even on home-button less devices going forward.

To be exact it hasn't been the home button since iPhone 7 because it's not a physical button anymore.

quick question guys. in iOS 10 I could hold the bottom banner in the tabs window in safari to close all tabs. It doesn't seem to be working now?

edit: found it. they removed the hold on banner but you can still hold on the tab button itself and do it.

erawsd

I'm not sure, the article I saw seemed to suggest that the sleep/wake (they even renamed it ”side button") does not shutdown an X. It's one tap for sleep/wake, 2 taps for Apple Pay, and a long hold for Siri.

Fliesen

To be exact it hasn't been the home button since iPhone 7 because it's not a physical button anymore.

whoa, right. I just tested the old combo on my iPhone 7.

Rather indicative of how little need there is to force shutdown the phone, i guess.

I'm not sure, the article I saw seemed to suggest that the sleep/wake does not shutdown an X. It's one tap for sleep/wake, 2 taps for Apple Pay, and a long hold for Siri.

oh, ok - maybe i've been going by post-announcement speculation. thanks

ios 11 is bringing my iPhone 6 to its knees. Guess it's time to upgrade

that is so weird. My girlfriend is using my old iPhone 6 and she's super happy with iOS 11. i myself don't see a huge difference between the performance on my 7 and her 6 - both are perfectly snappy.

LifEndz

that is so weird. My girlfriend is using my old iPhone 6 and she's super happy with iOS 11. i myself don't see a huge difference between the performance on my 7 and her 6 - both are perfectly snappy.

Yeah, I dunno what gives. I have roughly 80 gigs of free space and I’ve done two soft resets.

Fliesen

Yeah, I dunno what gives. I have roughly 80 gigs of free space and I've done two soft resets.

yeah, as always the question - is a fresh install an option? like, without a backup?
Your contacts, logins etc. are in the cloud anyways - if your photos were as well, you should definitely going down that route.

Or at least do a fresh install and restore from backup.

Deadstar

If I pull down on the phone and do a search for local apps nothing comes up.....anyone know why this is? It's not finding my apps.

Number45

If I pull down on the phone and do a search for local apps nothing comes up.....anyone know why this is? It's not finding my apps.
As soon as you search the suggested terms are listed first (used to be after the apps if I recall correctly) so are you sure they're just not hidden down below the keyboard. First time I did this after the upgrade it confused me as well.

Deadstar

As soon as you search the suggested terms are listed first (used to be after the apps if I recall correctly) so are you sure they're just not hidden down below the keyboard. First time I did this after the upgrade it confused me as well.

If I search for "map" the official apple map app doesn't show up or google maps. I just have "Suggested Apps". It seems totally broken.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If I search for "map" the official apple map app doesn't show up or google maps. I just have "Suggested Apps". It seems totally broken.

Odd, I just did the same search and it shows the map app (and QuidCo) right after the suggested terms.
Something does seem amiss. Currently some apps will show up as soon as I start typing the first letter, while others only appear if I type the app's full title.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

this has happened to me in the past... it sort of just fixes itself (it used to happen, then fix itself, then happen again, then fix itself again.. thankfully that hasn't happened in a long time)

your filesystem index is currently building/repairing. it should resolve itself sooner than later.

Deadstar

this has happened to me in the past... it sort of just fixes itself (it used to happen, then fix itself, then happen again, then fix itself again.. thankfully that hasn't happened in a long time)

your filesystem index is currently building/repairing. it should resolve itself sooner than later.

I'm on a 6S. Hopefully it resolves itself.

Aurongel

Swiping up and revealing the dock is giving me issues all of a sudden.

Multitasking doesn't seem to work for me anymore when I drag an icon to a section of the screen. This is the case for all apps, including the native ones.

Did the Health app always have this heart rate data for every hour of every day since I got my first Apple Watch? It's sort of incredible.

LordOfChaos

Man...Days after the upgrade my battery life is still nuked, my 7 had great battery life, I've never been to 30% by 3PM like this consistently.

There's not a lot of local photos on it so I don't think it's still format converting.

Also framerate drops everywhere.

This is what BGR found.

ios-11-battery-decay.png

My husband has been complaining that his 6s has been running slow after updating to 11. Is this common or are there some troubleshooting tips I could have him look into? Should he reinstall it?

Edit: he's had it installed since launch day

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Man...Days after the upgrade my battery life is still nuked, my 7 had great battery life, I've never been to 30% by 3PM like this consistently.

There's not a lot of local photos on it so I don't think it's still format converting.

Also framerate drops everywhere.

This is what BGR found.

ios-11-battery-decay.png

Why is it so damn bad with this update? Is it poorly optimized or did it simply include many new features that fucking drain it?

mrkgoo

Oddly enough my iPhone 5 has been running a bit more hanky and slow since iOS 11 came out ..... and I can't update it to 11 :p

There's probably some server side things going like still rolling out updates to everyone and things generally being a bit sluggish on that side.

No doubt battery is less than perfectly optimised, in addition to drainage from new features and server side communication probably increased a bit.

Hopefully a lot of this stuff is addressed with point releases.

Regarding the battery issues, again I recommend looking at what apps are set up to run in the background.

Someone earlier in the thread found that YouTube was running in the background and causing severe battery drain. The problem is these apps can add a background mode and users have no idea unless they check.

You can see what apps are set up to run in the background in Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh. I turn off anything I don't think really needs realtime updates. I'd recommend everyone check this list.

Red

I don’t know what the fuck is going on with my phone battery, but it has been great today. Huge improvement over yesterday. I can’t explain it.

No settings have changed.

Maybe pocket casts got an update or something? Don’t know why it hogged so much battery yesterday.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I don’t know what the fuck is going on with my phone battery, but it has been great today. Huge improvement over yesterday. I can’t explain it.

No settings have changed.

Maybe pocket casts got an update or something? Don’t know why it hogged so much battery yesterday.

YouTube did the same thing to me and a few others the other day. Back to normal now

Akiraptor

So Best Buy has $100 off the iPad Pro line. I haven't owned an iPad since the original one, and didn't get a whole lot of use out of it. Presently I own a laptop, but not a desktop, that I use primarily for Skype (text only, mostly for DnD-type games), web browsing, writing, movie watching, some gaming, and photo viewing.

For $550, is the iPad Pro 10.5'' a good deal? A lot of the features in iOS 11 look appealing, especially the dock and file system (I used a Macbook for a while, but currently have a Windows laptop).

Guess Who

Banned
So Best Buy has $100 off the iPad Pro line. I haven't owned an iPad since the original one, and didn't get a whole lot of use out of it. Presently I own a laptop, but not a desktop, that I use primarily for Skype (text only, mostly for DnD-type games), web browsing, writing, movie watching, some gaming, and photo viewing.

For $550, is the iPad Pro 10.5'' a good deal? A lot of the features in iOS 11 look appealing, especially the dock and file system (I used a Macbook for a while, but currently have a Windows laptop).

It's the best iPad ever made, and $550 for a 64GB model is a good price.

Pachimari

Hmm, I’m confused by two things:

01) Calendar. I used to use my google calendar in the default Apple calendar app, but when I go to add a new calendar it only lets me select iCloud in account as it’s greyed out.

02) Youtube. Let’s say there’s a Youtube in an app (like Reeder). Usually I can click on the “watch later” icon to add it to my list, but in iOS 11 it opens up YouTube.com in Safari and then open up the YouTube app before I can then add the video to my “watch later” list in that app.

wandering

Banned
Anyone figured out a way to bring back visual voicemail without resetting the network settings? Wanna see if there are any other options

HF2014

Regarding the battery issues, again I recommend looking at what apps are set up to run in the background.

Someone earlier in the thread found that YouTube was running in the background and causing severe battery drain. The problem is these apps can add a background mode and users have no idea unless they check.

You can see what apps are set up to run in the background in Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh. I turn off anything I don't think really needs realtime updates. I'd recommend everyone check this list.

Christ. Lost about two hour of battery with all the usual things off on my ipad air 2. And it also seem longer to charge. Fuck Apple, always killing their old system with their mandatory or not really but get bugged seeing the upgrade red icon notification on your system icon if you choose to not upgrade.

Also, yould love to remove the UNDO right at the right if the keyboard when you press number button, press it a few time already, deleting all i was writing...

Nice upgrade, but killing 20% of my battery aint funny...

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
6s owner here. I thought my battery life was also becoming terrible after updating as I could literally watch the percentage tick down but as it turns out I had bluetooth on even though the icon for it wasn't there and I specifically remember turning it off after updating. Now everything seems to be back to normal.

breakfuss

Thanks for this tip! I'll report back if I see an improvement.

breakfuss

Lol I have never felt so...out of control with iOS. I appreciate all the help that’s been offered up in this thread though. I have yet another question.

Is there a reason all my iOS devices (old phone used for music and an iPad) ring when I receive a call? That didn’t happen before this update. I don’t like if.

Is there a reason all my iOS devices (old phone used for music and an iPad) ring when I receive a call? That didn't happen before this update. I don't like if.

Might be related to Settings -> Phone -> Calls On Other Devices on your main phone. Also check to see Wi-Fi Calling is turned off on that older device.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Are the emoji suggestions working for anyone else? On iOS 10 if I typed, say, "camera", one of the autocorrect options would be a corresponding emoji. I can't get that to trigger on iOS 11.

Daigoro

did a fresh start on my SE this morning and now ive run into an issue with apps that will not allow me to turn on background refresh.

these apps work worked fine in ios 11 before i did the fresh start, but now there is no option to turn on background refresh either in the general>background refresh menu (they dont show up at all), or under the apps themselves in Settings.

i have all restrictions turned off. there is just no option to allow these apps background refresh to send me notifications that i can find anywhere. notifications settings are ON, but without background refresh, those settings are useless apparently.

did a fresh start on my SE this morning and now ive run into an issue with apps that will not allow me to turn on background refresh.

these apps work worked fine in ios 11 before i did the fresh start, but now there is no option to turn on background refresh either in the general>background refresh menu (they dont show up at all), or under the apps themselves in Settings.

i have all restrictions turned off. there is just no option to allow these apps background refresh to send me notifications that i can find anywhere. notifications settings are ON, but without background refresh, those settings are useless apparently.

Unless something dramatic has changed, I don’t think background app refresh needs to be on to get notifications of any kind

Daigoro

Unless something dramatic has changed, I don’t think background app refresh needs to be on to get notifications of any kind

i havent gotten any notifications from any of the apps all day long today. so they definitely are not working properly for whatever reason.

Top Bottom