• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iOS 12 needs to be the “Notification Center doesn’t suck anymore” update. Like it really needs so much work. Put a couple buttons at the top to toggle between sorting options. By date, by app and a toggle to group them together into expanding lists. Come on, Apple! By the time I wake up every morning and peruse through my notifications it’s a messy hodgepodge of different apps. Let me choose an order to show them in too.

RoKKeR

I have an 8 Plus and a 5th gen iPad both on 11.0.3, and on the iPhone there is just the slightest lag time between when I hit the home button and when it actually goes to the home screen. On the iPad it's instant.

Has anybody else had this? Thoughts?

Agreed with the poster above about notifications... my god, it's a mess. I'm loving the phone but that is the most painful part about coming from Android.

LifEndz

Welp, if they intentionally designed ios11 to make me upgrade from my iphone 6, it worked. Went on Sprint's website today just to see how much upgrading would cost. Didn't even know about the "flex program." I usually buy my phone outright, but leasing it via flex was only an exra 9 dollars on my monthly bill. I decided to get the 8. Kudos to you, Apple. Ya got me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh my god. I don't know when they fixed it, but I'm able to sync my .ePub books to my phone and iCloud again. Holy shit. I can go back to reading books again.

For the longest time you couldn't sync ePub files for some reason. I couldn't get them to open in any book app either. Now I can finally do it again. Apple finally realized not all books are purchased from the iBooks store. Time to finish my copy of Spelunky by Derek Yu.

And it even still remembers my location in the book.

I've updated my iPhone 6S+ to 11.1 beta 3, the animations are a lot smoother now, and the return of 3D touch app switcher is welcomed. Battery life is still awful, but I will take whatever improvement I can get, so far I have not encountered any bugs that would interfere with day to day useage.

Ambitious

iOS 12 needs to be the “Notification Center doesn’t suck anymore” update. Like it really needs so much work. Put a couple buttons at the top to toggle between sorting options. By date, by app and a toggle to group them together into expanding lists. Come on, Apple! By the time I wake up every morning and peruse through my notifications it’s a messy hodgepodge of different apps. Let me choose an order to show them in too.

I mean, seriously. It needs to be redesigned completely from scratch. What were they even thinking? It's not just "bad" or "flawed", it's fucking shit.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I mean, seriously. It needs to be redesigned completely from scratch. What were they even thinking? It's not just "bad" or "flawed", it's fucking shit.
Sad thing is it was much better before when it still had options for sorting. I say bring them back and also let us change them on the fly right from within the Cover Sheet with a toggle to collapse notifications for each app into one icon that expands when we tap it and gives us easier clearing options.

We all need to send feedback to Apple about it now if we want them to make any effort whatsoever for next summer.

I mean I'm always excited to see what each new iOS and macOS version brings, but it's always a letdown when they completely disregard something you fully think should be done.

But anyway, onto Control Center.... PLEASE let us rearrange those bottom icons by using the Home Screen method of long-pressing and manually moving them around. It's so clunky to rearrange them the way you do now because while the icons you interact with are in a grid of 4 icons per row, the interface for moving them around and removing them is a single one column list that is a pain in the ass if you want icons in a specific order or grouping. I mean come on.

Also why is there a weird distinction between some icons that have 3D Touch and that don't. For one thing you can't really tell at a glance which one's have 3D touch, but the ones that don't have two separate "nope! You can't do that" notifications. One where it shakes and blurs properly to tell you no, but another where it doesn't do anything except act like you are just holding down a button which ends up activating it if you cancel. For example: 3D Touch on the Stopwatch or Alarm icons and you get a shake and the action is canceled. But 3D touch on the Low Power icon and you get no shake at all and it doesn't matter how long you hold it down, when you lift your finger it activates the button. Same thing happens with the DND While Driving icon. Sure you can just drag away to cancel but that's not the point really.

I also went on a Twitter mini-rant about the ugliness of the rounded Control Center 3D Touch boxes vs the beautiful Home Screen 3D Touch boxes which I'll just link to:
https://twitter.com/TheRealAbed/status/920464218394189825
DMYlUT1UQAITS1T.jpg
DMYmILaVwAAcqYE.jpg

But yeah, the radius of the corners of the CC boxes is HORRIBLE on the eyes and looks so wrong. But the one's you get on the Home Screen icons look so good. It's like two separate teams designed them and the CC one's smoked something really bad before they did. I blame Jony for approving it.

Vuze

This truly is one buggy as shit release... my brand new 8+ had the springboard die for the second time this week know. Like, I can still lock the phone, access the cover sheet and control center but I can't swipe on springboard or launch apps. Have to hard reset to fix it. WTF such shit never happened to me on any iPhone before.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really wonder why there there are a couple of Songs I cant add to my iPhone manually.

Has iTunes a own Eventlog for stuff like this? There is a textfield popping up but its to fast gone.

HotHamBoy

I'm posting this here even though it's an iOS 10 issue.

So I have an iPad Air 2 and I'm currently not updating to iOS 11 because a few apps I use still haven't updated to 64 bit so I'm putting it off.

Anyway, I've had a problem for months now that has persisted through each version of iOS 10 and I'm really tired of it.

What happens is i'll be using the iPad and suddenly the screen goes black with a spinning wheel and takes me back to the home screen, force-closing the app I was using. It doesn't matter what app it is and I can't figure out what triggers it, it seems random.

Is there anything I can do?

Pepiope

Does anyone's phone just not turn off at times? My phone can sit with the screen on for like 5+ minutes on the home screen when it's set to Auto-Lock at 30 seconds.

Same with Messages. They're set to temporary, but for some reason they are persistent

Edit: nothing I seem to try fixes it, so I guess I have to hope an update does the trick

Top Bottom