• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Risto

Banned
I loved my iPhone on iOS 10 but this is really upsetting. Weeks now and my battery life is still terrible as well as bugs. My phone now wants to get stuck in landscape mode randomly. I have to close the app out and restart it to get it out of landscape mode. This is the exact same stuff that pushed me away from android. This plus the garbage OS that is High Sierra is a bad mark for Apple. Something is wrong with their quality control.

My series 0 watch on watchOS 4 has been burning through its battery in less than 12 hours for the last two days. Have no idea what's going on. I've restarted it, checked the background privileges for 3rd party apps...nothing looks out of the ordinary.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Battery Life is showing all kind of crazy values over the last few days. Really not sure if this is really my battery breaking apart again (Pretty sure its not, its been 3-4 years the last time before the battery noticible was breaking apart), or that its iOS going mumbo jumbo.

To bad the App left the App Store after iOS 11 launched, so we cant check if anyone else has the same issues, but the app leaving can be a sign that its indeed not working properly...

Vamp

I had battery drain like crazy after upgrading my iphone 6s to 10.0.2, but after doing clean install battery life is back to normal. If u guys have issues try doing clean install it will improve your battery life.
And the whole os feels much responsive and fast.

I had battery drain like crazy after upgrading my iphone 6s to 10.0.2, but after doing clean install battery life is back to normal. If u guys have issues try doing clean install it will improve your battery life.
And the whole os feels much responsive and fast.

Errors in iOS are silent: you won’t get a BSOD or anything. At best, a soft lock or forced reboot. So you’re basically right: anyone having trouble with iOS absolutely should erase all and restore from iCloud backup.

Even when it *feels* like a hardware issue, you may as well do it because it has a great chance of helping, and it’s exactly what Apple will ask to do in the Genius Bar anyway.

I’ve seen issues with cellular connectivity, battery life, and the touchscreen itself resolved by this, even when it seemed completely counterintuitive.

Zutroy

On my iPhone 7 and generally no issues. The main thing I’ve encountered is sometimes a bug with the keyboard not disappearing when it should, but otherwise battery life is fine and no crashes.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
cross post from the iOS gaming thread.

Apple released iTunes 12.6.3 to enterprise which retains the App Store components that are removed in 12.7 while adding support for iOS 11.
The 12.6.3 version will act as a 12.7 replacement for those that need to keep the App Store and you won't be asked to update to 12.7 with it installed.

Link: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

If you have already updated to 12.7 though, your library won't be compatible with 12.6.3, it'll need to be rebuilt or an older version be used.

Souzetsu

My series 0 watch on watchOS 4 has been burning through its battery in less than 12 hours for the last two days. Have no idea what's going on. I've restarted it, checked the background privileges for 3rd party apps...nothing looks out of the ordinary.

I've heard that removing the Siri watch face might help with battery life. Can't confirm but worth a shot.

Shizuka

These updates have been glitching my phone like crazy. The biggest issue being that I no longer know if it's due to the updates or if it's the phone itself and I should get Apple to fix it.

jts

...hate me...
This was disable-able previously wasn’t it?
Like an accessibility setting? I don't think so. It was just outright removed in iOS 11.

edit: oh, I get what you mean now, and I don’t know. Reckon it wasn’t though.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nice. Improved 3D touch switcher.

I'd like an option to move it to the right side of the phone. That's my main problem with it. It's not an issue on the regular size or I assume the X, but on Plus models it was a bit rough for right handed users.

Pepiope

Nice. Improved 3D touch switcher.

I'd like an option to move it to the right side of the phone. That's my main problem with it. It's not an issue on the regular size or I assume the X, but on Plus models it was a bit rough for right handed users.
I think it just seems unnatural to go back on the left side of a phone. Apple isn't Samsung.

Pixieking

Banned
Not sure where else to put this...

iCloud Bookmarks addon for Firefox has just been updated. I've never had any problems with it - it's always synced bookmarks for me, even when everyone said it was broken - but for those who had issues before, it might be worth another shot?

(It does of course require iCloud for Windows, too)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Battery Life is online again. Can the people with the battery issues instal it and collect data over the next few days? Curious if I am really the only one where the battery suddenly acts funny

Red

Are there any apps that allow mixed use of music, podcasts, and audiobooks? Like is it possible to queue up one chapter of a book, then play ten songs, then a podcast, etc? Spotify allows podcasts now, which gets it close, but it can’t access audiobooks.

Also:
Has anyone done professional work with photo or video processing on iPad? I hope to get back into making some side cash doing events and portraits, but I want to improve my mobile workflow. Any tips, must-have apps, warnings?

Battery Life is online again. Can the people with the battery issues instal it and collect data over the next few days? Curious if I am really the only one where the battery suddenly acts funny

mine got better as i turned off apps in the icloud settings. No clue why.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It probably won't free them until that space is needed or some background maintenance process has time to go through the photos.

Looks like it doesn't really work like that after more research.
Stuff that's fully downloaded will not go away. I may just have to turn off iCloud Photo Library on the phone then manually delete everything.

Afterward, I can just turn it on again and get only the optimized versions installed.

Probably more trouble than it's worth.

Sean

Banned
Installed the iOS 11.1 beta 2, the 3d touch app switcher is a lot easier to work than it was before.

And it also fixes the Apple Watch bug with missing icons on notifications. No need to wait for a watchOS update.

Pepiope

Not sure where to ask this, but has anyone purchased a USB-PD car charger for their iPhone yet? Doesn't look like any reputable brands have come out with one yet.

M_A_C

Has there been anything offical about the battery drain stuff yet? Both my Mom's iPhone 7 and my 7 Plus are much worse on 11.02

Ambitious

When I tried to delete an app yesterday, the app icon wasn't removed from the homescreen. Instead, it was only dimmed. The app title was gone, however. Tapping it didn't do anything, but I was still able to move it around in wiggle mode. There was no X button to delete it, though.
It was gone after restarting my device.

Red

When I tried to delete an app yesterday, the app icon wasn't removed from the homescreen. Instead, it was only dimmed. The app title was gone, however. Tapping it didn't do anything, but I was still able to move it around in wiggle mode. There was no X button to delete it, though.
It was gone after restarting my device.
Seem this for many iOS releases. Might have always been there.

Kinan

Does anybody else have this weird auto rotation bug since ios11, when the screen refuses to rotate within an app (can be any app, it seems) when you rotate the device from portrait to landscale or back? You need to exit to the main screen, which then rotates to the new orientation, and then get back in the app.

So annoying in a book reader and safari on my iPad Mini 4. Had hope it would be fixed in quick patches, but no luck so far. :p

jimmypython

Not sure if people use the reminder app....but it froze on me consistently (1 in 2 times) when I tried to move events across lists.

11.0.2 on iPhone 8+

Arcia

Banned
Does anybody else have this weird auto rotation bug since ios11, when the screen refuses to rotate within an app (can be any app, it seems) when you rotate the device from portrait to landscale or back? You need to exit to the main screen, which then rotates to the new orientation, and then get back in the app.

So annoying in a book reader and safari on my iPad Mini 4. Had hope it would be fixed in quick patches, but no luck so far. :p

Yeah I have that occasionally, also on a Mini 4. I have also had the reverse where it gets stuck on the main screen until I open a new app. Hope it gets fixed!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I keep getting this bug where I will open the camera app and all the settings are back on default. (Flash Auto, HDR on, Live Photo on) anybody else getting this?

Edit:
6S+

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it not possible to put my Apple Store gift card in my Wallet? It might be too old to. I Googled and looked at Apple's support page on it and it says there's a QR code the app would recognize. My card doesn't have one. Just a barcode and two sets of numbers and letters. The bottom one with the barcode is all numbers and the top one, under the scratch off stuff, is all letters. I tried to enter the all numbers one manually and it didn't work. Tried to enter the all letters one as numbers (Like I was dialing a phone) and it didn't work.

I guess it can't be put in. Are newer Apple Store gift cards compatible? Mine might be too old since it's from 2012. (And according to Apple's site still has $50 on it shockingly.)

Not a big deal. Just curious. I really need to spend it before it expires.

I keep getting this bug where I will open the camera app and all the settings are back on default. (Flash Auto, HDR on, Live Photo on) anybody else getting this?

Hasn't happened to me on iPhone 6S. It only takes a while to load, black screen for a few secs and then I get the camera when I go to it from lockscreen.

What is killing me right now is the keyboard. It lags, whenever I open an app to start typing a text, it will lag. All the initial key touches will lag and then the complete word I typed will show onscreen at once.

When you people say clean install, you mean restore to iPhone, and then restore my backup?

Thank you all.

Souzetsu

Is it not possible to put my Apple Store gift card in my Wallet? It might be too old to. I Googled and looked at Apple's support page on it and it says there's a QR code the app would recognize. My card doesn't have one. Just a barcode and two sets of numbers and letters. The bottom one with the barcode is all numbers and the top one, under the scratch off stuff, is all letters. I tried to enter the all numbers one manually and it didn't work. Tried to enter the all letters one as numbers (Like I was dialing a phone) and it didn't work.

I guess it can't be put in. Are newer Apple Store gift cards compatible? Mine might be too old since it's from 2012. (And according to Apple's site still has $50 on it shockingly.)

Not a big deal. Just curious. I really need to spend it before it expires.

Are you able to redeem the gift card at all? Because after that you can add your iTunes Pass to your Wallet, which should have the recently added funds.

To add your iTunes Pass to Wallet:

Open App Store > Tap on your Apple ID icon/picture on the top right > Scroll down to iTunes Pass > Add iTunes Pass

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is that a bug? Do you have preserve settings selected?
I thought that only preserved selected mode (photo, video, pano etc)?

At any rate Live Photo has its own preserve switch which is on so Live Photo shouldn’t be toggling itself back on.

I love Live Photo but it only makes sense to use it in like 25% of my photography so I would rather turn it on when I want it only.

You installed the app?

Its super strange.

In the setting (your apple ID, then icloud), theres a whole bunch of apps that use icloud by default (example: google drive, camera+, whatsapp, etc) i turned off a bunch of those that i didnt need to save to icloud and the battery got better. I cant explain it

Top Bottom